Zero2Cool
13 years ago

FOX Sports president expresses concern regarding streaming of NFL games 
Posted by Mike Florio on May 3, 2010 12:50 PM ET
Over the past few years, the NFL has made available via non-traditional formats live regular-season games. DirectTV's NFL Sunday Ticket is available on the Internet, and NBC's Emmy-nominated (but possibly due to the live chat feature not Emmy-winning) Sunday Night Football Extra has provided viewers the ability to watch the prime-time game from four different camera angles over the past two seasons. Also, NFL Network's games have been available for multiple years via cellular device.

Not everyone thinks that's a great idea. FOX Sports president Ed Goren recently said that the practice could "narrow profits -- both for the league and the networks," according to MediaPost.com (via SportsBusiness Daily).

"At some point, they're going to kill the golden goose," Goren said. Though he believes that "multiplatform maneuvers by the NFL are 'not an issue' now," he cautioned that, if the NFL and other sports leagues "continue to look beyond the traditional set," Fox "will be more reticent to pay billions in rights fees to the three."

Bottom line? "Our ratings will go down, our ad sales will go down and the leagues can find another sucker," Goren said.

Though much of it may simply be posturing in advance of the next round of broadcast-rights negotiations, with all packages available as of 2014, it's an issue that won't be going away, especially as the manner in which fans consume video content continues to change, almost on a daily basis.

If they don't want people streaming their product, make it more available for each fan base without having to pay hundreds of dollars a year with a two year commitment to a shit satellite company.

Why should someone living in CA be stuck watching the Raiders or 49ers when their favorite team is the Bills? Why can't they chose which games they want? Where's the freedom to chose the team you watch?

If each fan were allotted the opportunity to follow "their" team, the fan base would intensify greatly. Remember the moniker/saying "out of sight, out of mind"? There you go ...

Edit, and I'm speaking of LIVE games, not watching your team play on NFL Network at 9pm when the game was over for six hours. That's a crock, not to mention a large portion of the world does not even have access to the NFL Network. Also I know for a fact there are several outlets where people stream the games for die hard fans who otherwise do not have viewing access to the games for NO PROFIT at all. True fan's of ANY team DESERVE the right to view their teams games LIVE and should not have to be held financially responsible for it.

If the NFL Network wants to avoid streaming, here's a idea for a end game solution. Make your damn station over the air accessible so ANYONE can view it. Then charge a small $5 a month fee for viewers to have GAME CHOICE to watch the team they want.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
You know what, better solution is to just stream them online and charge $5 per game. That's reasonable and gives everyone an opportunity to view the game they want to see. That will increase fan base and you can still have your damn commercials!

Find a damn solution instead of whining about FANS going to any means they can to WATCH YOUR PRODUCT!
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
If I ever teach a course just on "monopoly power", the NFL will be case 1 on why "laws create monopoly stupidity not prevent it."

The NFL gets to make such stupid decisions because they are doubly protected:
1. The anti-trust exemption. Gives them monopoly power.
plus
2. Increasingly insane USA intellectual property law. Gives them even more of it.

Kevin's solution makes all the sense in the world. Thanks to the law (and its usual "being an ass" character), however, the NFL isn't required to pursue options that make sense.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Rockmolder
13 years ago
To get NFLN and the option to watch games as a foreigner, you pay close to $400,- per year. You can buy it in parts, but the regular season pass is somewhere in between $225 and $280, already.

These prices are absolutely ridiculous, but you really have no other choice.

Like Wade said, this thing is nothing more than a Monopoly. What the NFL needs is competition. As long as they don't, they will keep this prices as high as they want. What I'm afraid off is that we're past the point of no return. You really have to keep this things overpriced, or they will barely be able to play these ridiculous salaries.

Just look at it, every North American sport is doing this.
doddpower
13 years ago
I certainly agree that prices are way too high. I pay for direct tv's sunday ticket and have for several years now. I'm hooked to the NFL Network and watching games on my big screen in HD. It's just irresistible. Perhaps it means cheaper beer and less food on Sundays, but I'm still able to do it at this point (although that could change at any given moment).

However, I can't help but wonder how expensive it is to make almost EVERY game available at the click of a few buttons. It's a business and profits have to be made. It's not a charity. The guarantee of cash for the entire season vs. cheap individual games would seem to make much more business sense.

I don't know. It certainly could be cheaper but I can understand the difficulty for the convenience. Some form of competition would be excellent, though.
djcubez
13 years ago
Same thing that happened to the RIAA and it's the reason why the writers strike happened--large companies don't know how to successfully take advantage of these new technologies. Instead of accepting that they have to change their business plan to cater to these new gadgets they attempt to make them unlawful because of their own "dwindling profits." I'm sick of their arguments. Get with the times or go broke.

Their logic seems to be that because other people are being innovative and "stealing" their audience, those other people must be punished. It annoys the piss out of me.

This quote is the kicker

he cautioned that, if the NFL and other sports leagues "continue to look beyond the traditional set,"

Tradition my ass, you're just going to lose money because someone else is being smarter and more innovative than you. Tough titty.

Do these companies also not realize how much money these lose because they don't cater to other audiences?

There's also one other thing I hate. Blackout restrictions. I've gotten the NBA TV deal on the internet and the MLB.tv deal. They're great, games stream really nice and the price is a bit hefty but overall pretty good. The only problem is I can't watch Bucks or Brewers games because I live in the home market. But the only reason I'd subscribe would be to watch my favorite teams right? Ugh.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
If the affiliates and NFL used their money to provide adequate servers instead of trying to stop streamers, they would have plenty in the bank for streaming the system themselves.

Force the members to purchase 17 games out right and they can use them however they'd like to. Or some other kind of bundle package to prevent others bootlegging the stream.

There are many available options that are within reason for cost. They simply chose NOT to. They would rather use force of hand to have it THEIR way than to work on building their fanbase with the growing ways technology offers.

And quite frankly, it pisses me off!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (13h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (16h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (17h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (20h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (20h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (20h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.