Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Source Link 

In the underrated and altogether enjoyable film Zombieland, Woody Harrelson's undead-killing lead character motors through the apocalyptic landscape in a big black truck with a familiar-scripted number 3 on the side. He never offers any explanation, never mentions his affinity for a former race car driver, never defines the connection between himself and another intimidating figure behind the wheel. He doesn't need to. When his ride is stolen and he commandeers a new one, the first thing he does is paint the same numeral on the driver's side door.

[img_r]http://i2.cdn.turner.com/nascar/2010/news/opinion/05/01/inside.line.dcaraviello.dearnhardt.no3.dearnhardtjr/caraviello.193.jpg[/img_r]Putting the No. 3 back on the track with Dale Earnhardt Jr. behind the wheel honors his father, his family and the fans, writes Joe Menzer.

That's how entrenched Dale Earnhardt's car number is in popular culture -- clarification is no longer required. Even a movie aimed at a youthful, hipster audience doesn't have to spell out who the man was or what he stood for. His legacy has become so ubiquitous and far-reaching that there's the assumption you can figure it out for yourself. By now, people just know, just like they know that a flag with a bear on it represents the state of California, or that a helmet with a star stands for a football team from Dallas.

A vehicle with a No. 3 on the side of it represents one man -- which is why it's so easy to have so many mixed feelings about the announcement earlier this week that Dale Earnhardt Jr. will drive a No. 3 car in the July 2 Nationwide Series event at Daytona. No question, this is being done with the right combination of people behind it, with Teresa Earnhardt, Earnhardt Jr., and Richard Childress (who retains rights to the No. 3 and will technically field the entry) all on board. And it's being done in the right way, the vehicle unveiled on what would have been Earnhardt's 59th birthday, and painted in the same Wrangler scheme he used in the 1980s.

And while this effort is designed to honor Earnhardt's forthcoming induction into the NASCAR Hall of Fame -- which will be two month's past by the time the car takes to the track -- it can't help but have something of a been-there, done-that feeling to it. In 2002 when Earnhardt Jr. returned to Daytona one year after his father's death and drove a No. 3 car in the Busch race, the atmosphere was electric. Even though the vehicle was sponsored by Oreo and not Goodwrench, in the right light parts of the dark blue car looked almost black. Grown men wept when Dale Jr. won the race and returned the car to Victory Lane. It was a cathartic moment that everyone needed, proof that while the man was gone, his legacy was still alive and well.

Another effort later that year at Charlotte didn't have the same kind of juice, maybe because the vehicle had a tropical-fruit-colored paint scheme that would have made Peter Max blush, maybe because Earnhardt Jr. was caught up in an accident and was never a factor in the end. Or maybe because once was enough. Maybe because that Saturday afternoon in Daytona was the great, victorious sendoff that a fan base and an industry never got a chance to give the man himself, and anything else is going to suffer by comparison. Maybe because the timing of and the meaning behind that first endeavor was so perfect, any others feel like they're pulled randomly from the deck.

That's not to say that Earnhardt Jr. and Childress, two men who knew the Intimidator as well as anyone, don't have the right intentions. And no question, some folks are going to get goose bumps when that vintage-painted No. 3 car rolls out onto the track at Daytona. But it's precisely the opposite -- the lack of use of the No. 3 car -- that's made the vehicle so iconic that it can appear without preamble in a zombie flick aimed at 20-somethings, kids who never even saw Earnhardt compete, and everyone immediately understands. The man and the number have become so tightly intertwined that you'll never be able to separate them. It's Earnhardt's car, and it always will be, forever and ever. Anything else feels like an imitation, like somebody besides Buddy Holly fronting the Crickets.

All of this is surely to revive the now-nine-year-old debate over whether we'll ever see the No. 3 back at the Cup level, something Childress has never really ruled out, but doesn't have any explicit plans for, either. Childress' grandson Austin Dillon currently drives a black No. 3 in the Truck Series -- let's not forget, R.C. used the numeral before Big E did -- but it's a truck, not a car, and that tour exists enough below the radar that such a thing can happen without exactly stirring strong feelings on either side. That would surely change if Dillon ever carried the No. 3 with him up to the Nationwide Series, which gets more national coverage and races in tandem with the big show almost every week.

And what if Dillon, who has an average finish of 16.5 in four Truck starts entering Sunday's event at Kansas Speedway, proves good enough to advance to NASCAR's highest level? Then the polarization would begin. "I don't know that you'll ever see the 3 back in Cup," Childress said earlier this season, and he reiterated as much Thursday, although you'd have to imagine that if it were his grandson behind the wheel, he might be tempted. That would seem one of only two viable scenarios, the other being some future union between Earnhardt Jr. and RCR, and at the moment both of them feel like long shots at best.

That would leave the No. 3 exactly where it is today, in some sort of permanent hibernation, not exactly retired but with everyone respectful enough to not push for its use, either. Tributes like the Wrangler-backed effort for Daytona are nice, but honestly not necessary anymore. We've seen Dale Jr. come back to Daytona in a No. 3 car, seen him win in it, and nothing will ever top that. The idea of somebody using it on the Cup level seems too ludicrous too discuss, like the Dodgers giving Jackie Robinson's jersey number to a call-up. It's as synonymous with the man as his mustache or his heavy right foot, and because of the way he lived and died, nothing will ever change that.

Earnhardt's race team is effectively gone, having been merged into another operation. His victories exist only on highlight reels. But nine years later the No. 3 is still very much a part of him, still something people can cling to, still something that shows up on flags and bumper stickers and license plates with regularity, all precisely because of its disuse. It's Earnhardt's car. It's only Earnhardt's car. And it should ride in one place -- memory.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Junior addresses criticism

RICHMOND, Va. -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. knows some fans are upset about his plan to drive a replica of his father's famous No. 3 car at Daytona in July but thinks it is a fitting way to honor the seven-time champion's NASCAR Hall of Fame induction.

"I think everybody knows I'm pretty careful about all that kind of stuff," he said Friday at Richmond International Raceway. "It just seems like a reasonable opportunity and it seemed like if there is a time to ever do it, this is one of those times."

Earnhardt Je. announced his plan Thursday to drive the Wrangler car in the Nationwide Series race at Daytona. The announcement came on what would have been his father's 59th birthday. Dale Earnhardt died in a crash in the season-opening Daytona 500 in 2001.

Earnhardt is one of five members of the first class of inductees into the hall of fame, joining NASCAR founder Bill France Sr.; Bill France Jr., who spent 30 years running the top series; Richard Petty, the only other seven-time champion; and driver Junior Johnson. The induction ceremony will be held May 23.

Earnhardt's number is owned by Richard Childress, the car owner he raced for in the Sprint Cup Series, and has not been used in NASCAR's top series since "The Intimidator" died.

Earnhardt Jr., though, doesn't think it's fair to expect it to remain shelved forever.

"It's ridiculous to try to retire numbers or favor numbers for certain drivers," he said. "The 3 meant a lot to Daddy and meant a lot to a lot of race fans, but there's some kid that's growing up that really was never a Dale Earnhardt fan that drives the No. 3 and he might want to be No. 3 all his life, and to not give him that opportunity just ain't fair."

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (7h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (11h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (12h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (14h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (14h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (15h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
27m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

44m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

56m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.