Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

NFL 2010 Draft Team By Team Report Card: Winners and Losers

Arizona Cardinals: The Cardinals did not have much action in this draft but they aimed to get better on defense. Dan Williams is a solid DT that can carry his weight around and play right away. The follow up with Daryl Washington was not as impressive and they traded up to get him. Mediocre draft for the birds: GRADE: C

Atlanta Falcons: The Falcons were content staying in the 19th spot and drafting what was left for them. Defense seemed to be the name of the game and the Falcons beefed up. Sean Weatherspoon is an automatic winner in the first round and countering with Corey Peters in the next spot worked as well. Moving to the offensive line to protect Matt Ryan next was a good move. Not exciting but not bad. GRADE: B

Baltimore Ravens: The Ravens wanted to come out and get some offense to include a tight end but were beat out by other teams. Instead they took some chances on drafting some defensive players like Sergio Kindle with a history of injury problems. Terrence Cody was not any better as he has stamina issues. The draft was a reach for the Ravens. GRADE: D

Buffalo Bills: The Buffalo Bills draft was a head-scratcher. They got a potential stud in CJ Spiller in the first round, but they already have a crowded backfield. Alex Carrington is a decent pick in the third round but the most glaring need was QB and they settled for Levi Brown late. With a deep QB draft they should have drafted one of the late drops. Spiller helps but overall a tough draft. GRADE: C+

Carolina Panthers: The Panthers did not have a pick until the second round but they made the most of it grabbing Jimmy Claussen after he dropped. They stayed active in the trade market and on offense grabbing two great prospects in Brandon LaFell and Armanti Edwards. They followed it up with Tony Pike late just in case. With what they had this was a home run for the panthers. GRADE A

Chicago Bears: The Bears had nothing to work with this year since they traded all their picks to get Jay Cutler. The picks that they did have they selected players that are trying to overcome injuries and have plenty of question marks. The best pick may have been grabbing local hero Dan LeFevour which may be a back up plan if Cutler continues to struggle. GRADE: C

Cincinnati Bengals: The Bengals hit a home run early by drafting Jermaine Gresham. The offense needed a tight end and a big target and he provides a good one for Carson Palmer. The Bengals grabbed another weapon in Jordan Shipley and worked the draft and made this team better right now. GRADE B+

Cleveland Browns: Mike Holmgren has his first draft as GM of the Browns and he mad a splash right away. The late pick of Colt McCoy fell right into his hands and Cleveland has a future at QB. T.J. Ward and Joe Haden are projects that could help the weak defense and overall not a bad first draft for Cleveland. GRADE: B-

Dallas Cowboys: The Cowboys wanted Dez Bryant and they made trades to make sure they will get him. The Cowboys get an instant playmaker and his off the field issues will not be a problem in Big D. They have already given him #88 and this pick alone makes the draft for the Cowboys a success GRADE: A-

Denver Broncos: The surprise of the draft went to Denver as the selected Tim Tebow with the 25th overall selection. Truth be told the best player they got in this draft is Demaryius Thomas and he may make Denver fans forget about Brandon Marshall. Only the future will tell us if the Tebow move was genius or risky. GRADE C+

Detroit Lions: The Lions had a magnificent draft. Ndamukong Suh was the best player in the draft and will make the defense better right away. This was just the start of things as they traded up to get Jahvid Best and the Lions should be much improved due to a great draft. GRADE A+

Green Bay Packers: They started off on the right foot by drafting Bryan Bulaga and getting protection for Aaron Rodgers so he does not get beat up as much this year, but from there the draft went south. They took a gamble on Michael Neal and the rest of the draft is not impressive. GRADE: C-

Houston Texans: The Texans may not have drafted any big names but they had an excellent draft. Kareem Jackson is one of the best corner backs in the country and will make a splash in the NFL. Ben Tate is another excellent pick and will grow to be a good player in this league. It was a quiet draft for the Texans but a good one. GRADE B

Indianapolis Colts: The Colts drafted late but filled all of their needs. Jerry Hughes will be a stud in the NFL and give Dwight Freeney help terrorizing QBs. Six of their eight picks were on defense and it worked out quite nicely. GRADE: B+

Jacksonville Jaguars: Whoa was this ugly. Tyson Alualu is good but they drafted him really early. DAnthony Smith needs a lot of work and will be weak against the run. Tim Tebow was very glad the Broncos grabbed him because this is a sinking ship and the worst draft of any team this year. GRADE: F

Kansas City Chiefs: This was the first draft for GM Scott Pioliand it was a success. Eric Berry is one of the best pure defenders in the draft and Dexter McCluster is a playmaker that can electrify the crowds at Arrowhead. Grabbing Jon Asamoah so late was a steal and the Chiefs should be very happy. GRADE: A

Miami Dolphins: With Bill Parcells anything can happen on draft day. Its also a guarantee that he will draft defense and he did not disappoint. Jared Odrick and Koa Misi have some adjusting to do but we wont be the ones to question the Big Tuna. GRADE: B

Minnesota Vikings: The Vikings traded out of the first round to make a team in their own division better. Chris Cook is a very good pick and Toby Gerhart could turn out to be one of the best this year out of the backfield. With Brett Favre still undecided its odd that they passed on a strong QB draft and settled for Joe Webb in the late round. GRADE: C

New England Patriots: Bill Belichick was up to his old tricks again. The Patriots spent the day wheeling and dealing and stock piling for next year while keeping a great foothold on the stockpile for this year. Devin McCourty seemed a bit early but the best was yet to come as the Patriots basically drafted the Florida Gators LB core by grabbing Brandon Spikes and Jermaine Cunningham. The Patriots are loaded again next year looked great again this year. GRADE: A-

New Orleans Saints: Drafting last and just having six picks is never easy but the Saints made the best out of a bad situation. Patrick Robinson has great upside and will improve the secondary and if Jimmy Graham can develop the Saints will have another weapon. GRADE: C+

NY Giants: The Giants got their man in the first round drafting and he will fit right in on a defense that showed signs of weakness last year. They used the first four picks on defense and Chad Jones will impress players and coaches in the NFL this year. Not a bad draft for big blue. GRADE B

NY Jets: The Jets had an up and down draft. Kyle Wilson is an excellent pick and will fit right in on a strong defensive team in a pass happy league. The pick of Vladimir Ducasse was a bit questionable but they folloed it up with a steal of Joe McKnight in the later rounds. GRADE B+

Oakland Raiders: The Raiders deserve a decent grade because they did not do anything stupid as they have in drafts before this. Rolando McClain was the best inside linebacker on the board and Lamarr Houston should bolster an already good defense. Trading for Jason Campbell late is a good move and the Raiders will be better because of it. GRADE: B+

Philadelphia Eagles: Plenty of experts were grading this draft an A but I am not ready to mark them this high just yet. Brandon Graham seems adequate at best for a first rounder and Nate Allen has not been consistent on defense even avoiding tackles at times. There best pick may have been drafting Michael Kafka late as a QB. GRADE: C

Pittsburgh Steelers: This was a win for the Steelers because for a few days that did not have to worry about the Ben Rothlisberger story. Maurkice Pouncey was the exact player they wanted and will contribute right away. The best move may just have been in a trade as they reacquired Bryant McFadden in a draft day trade with the cardinals giving away the pick they got for Santonio Holmes. GRADE: A

San Diego Chargers: Ryan Mathews is not a bad first round pick it just seems like the Bolts could have done better. Donald Butler could help on defense but still has a lot to learn. Charger fans should not be too excited about this draft. GRADE C-

San Francisco 49ers: The 49ers made sure to address the concerns of a shaky front line. It started with grabbing Anthony Davis in the first round and he will contribute on day one. Mike Iupati was taken next and may actually be the better pick of the two. The 49ers upgraded the line with two physical players that could be starters for a long time on the offensive line. GRADE B+

Seattle Seahawks: Pete Carroll let the league know he is ready for the next level by making a splash in the draft. Russell Okung will help Carroll adjust the line and get a back up for often injured Walter Jones. The offense also received major upgrades when he traded for LenDale White and drafted Golden Tate to be an elite receiver. Anthony McCoy slipped late because of character concerns but Carroll knows all about him and he will play right away at this level. GRADE: A+

St. Louis Rams: the number one pick is almost a burden for most teams in this day and age with money but trhe Rams made it look good. If Sam Bradford can survive his first year under center he could be around for a long time. They wanted to make sure he had protection and drafted Rodger Saffold to help up front and added a sweet target with huge potential in Mardy Gilyard. This has to improve the 29th ranked offense from a year ago. GRADE: B+

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The theme was defense and they hit a home run with Gerald McCoy in the first round. Brian Price will help him out and they should start to replace an aging and small front line right away. These may be small building blocks in the right direction but they work. I am a bit surprised they did not address some offensive positions besides wide out. GRADE: C

Tennessee Titans: The Titans were active all night trading and moving to get the picks they wanted. Derrick Morgan is a winner already and he will help the defense out right away. Damian Williams should compliment Kenny Britt at wide out and could be the teams new playmaker. The team should be applauded for grabbing Rhodes Scholar Myron Rolle late in the draft. GRADE: B+

Washington Redskins: The Redskins could not find a suitor for Albert Haynesworth and were able to trade Jason Campbell to the Raiders late but this team is still in flux. The draft day was full of risky players and reaches starting with first rounder Trent Williams who may not be around long. Perry Riley was their best pick all day but that wont be enough to get the Skins a good grade. GRADE: D

UserPostedImage
Kingkoopa
14 years ago
It always makes me laugh reading draft grades 1 day after the draft. These guys haven't even hit the practice field. Nobody really knows what we have. This draft could be an A or an F, only time will tell.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Green Bay Packers 2010 Draft: Grading the Players, Not the Draft 
by Brent Wilbur Contributor

While I might not agree with every selection of the 2010 NFL DRAFT for the Green Bay Packers, we drafted some great players the last 3 days.

I will not vent in this article. I will try to be unbiased.

While I do wish we were able to "better" utilize our 4th Round Pick, to add an additional player at a position of need, I will have to defer to the GM of the Green Bay Packers, Mr. Ted Thompson, and his many years of experience.

I tried to do a slide show, but for some reason, Bleacher Report wouldn't cooperate with me, so I will have to try to make a traditional article work... This is my personal opinion, and will not bring in stats, projections, or expert analyses.

A+: With the 23rd Pick of the 2010 NFL DRAFT The Green Bay Packers Select...

~ BRYAN BULAGA, LT ~ UNIVERSITY OF IOWA ~

Personally, after the 2010 Scouting Combine, I never dreamed that we would have a shot at drafting Bulaga. He fills our greatest need, was a great value, and I applaud Thompson for pulling the trigger on this pick!

I believe he will be a great Packer for years to come!

B: With the 56th Pick of the 2010 NFL DRAFT The Green Bay Packers Select...

~ MIKE NEAL, DE ~ PURDUE UNIVERSITY ~

Surprised is not the word I would use to describe my emotions when I heard this pick announced...

I immediately went to find out all I could about this relatively unknown draft prospect. I looked at this kid as a football player, not where he was picked, not at the Packer's needs, & not at the players left on the board...

While that is personally, very hard for me to do, Mike Neal is a baller! What really makes me feel good about this kid is what our Defensive Line Coach, Mike Trgovac had to say about him...check out his post draft comments:

The standard answer when any GM drafts a lineman is: "You can never have enough of these guys." They should add: "Especially of this caliber!"

A+: With the 71st Pick of the 2010 NFL DRAFT The Green Bay Packers Select...

~ MORGAN BURNETT ~ S ~ GEORGIA TECH ~

Couldn't be more pleased with the Packers effort to get a guy to help out NICK COLLINS! Burnett is a playmaker!

Packer fans know that we were devastated with injuries to our secondary last year, and needed to add depth at safety. Burnett is a "Ball-Hawking" physical presence that will pay big dividends this year and in the future.

C+: With the 154th Pick of the 2010 NFL DRAFT The Green Bay Packers Select...

~ ANDREW QUARLESS ~ TE ~ PENN STATE UNIVERSITY ~

I was surprised that we drafted this kid, with 3 TE's on the roster. I was also very surprised to hear that he had off-the-field issues!

After further research, I found out his off the field issues were 2 underage drinking incidents, one which led to a DUI. Personally, I can't bash the kid for that... I too, have felt the long arm of the law on a night when I indulged too liberally.

I had no idea about this kid either, but, after hearing our TE coach, Ben McAdoo, speak about him, I think he'll make a great Packer, and may see us trading either Havner, or Lee.

B: With the 169th Pick of the 2010 NFL DRAFT The Green Bay Packers Select...

~ MARSHALL NEWHOUSE ~ T/G ~ TEXAS CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY ~

I was not surprised to see another OL drafted in the 5th Round. Looking at what some said, I wasn't initially very happy; that is, until I heard our Offensive Line Coach, James Campen contradict almost everything that I read. Solid talent.

AGAIN... "Can never have too many of these guys."

A-: With the 193rd Pick of the 2010 NFL DRAFT The Green Bay Packers Select...

~ JAMES STARKS ~ RB ~ UNIVERSITY OF BUFFALO ~

I was very happy with this pick in the 6th Round. Starks is a converted HS QB, who re-wrote the record books as a RB for Buffalo.

Though he was injured and didn't play his Sr. year in college, there is more than enough production to warrant a 6th round pick. Had he not gotten injured, we might not have been able to get him in the 3rd round.

Personally, I think this kid is a perfect fit in Green Bay. He is used to the cold, he's an athletic kid with pass catching ability and a great deal of potential! RB Coach, Edgar Bennett, had nothing but good things to say about this kid, and didn't see his running too upright at times, to be a problem in the future.

I also find myself envisioning the Packers running a few HB Passes, just like the "Glory Days!"

B: With the 230th Pick of the 2010 NFL DRAFT The Green Bay Packers Select...

~ C. J. WILSON ~ DE ~ EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY ~

Wilson will be the Packers 8th DE on the roster. He's a high production guy that slid for no apparent reason. I couldn't find one negative on this kid and assume he'll get a chance to compete for a roster spot.

"Can never have enough of these guys!"

While we drafted a quality group of guys with a great deal of talent, I still feel the Packers have some work to do before we clinch the NFC North. The Packers have some holes yet to fill, and with the additions of solid depth at several positions, it does open up the possibility of moving some veteran players via trade.

I'm grading the Players, not our Draft... Do I agree with every pick? Of course not, not even the Packers organization themselves were 100 percent in agreement.

Do I personally think that more could've been done to improve & impact the 2010 Packers in this draft? Of course, what fan wouldn't think that more could've been done?

Did we get a top CB, OLB, RB, WR, or even Punter? No. Did we make a huge splash? No...

But do I think we have some serious potential and arguably, 3 possible starters? Yes!!

Go Pack!

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I'm not going to try to reproduce this article, since it's in the form of a table. He grades the Packers out at a B.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/sports/nfldraft2010/grading.html 
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago

It always makes me laugh reading draft grades 1 day after the draft. These guys haven't even hit the practice field. Nobody really knows what we have. This draft could be an A or an F, only time will tell.

"Kingkoopa" wrote:

I find the draft grades sort of interesting - although this one ...
While I do agree in some ways that I wonder whose team Ted Thompson was drafting for.

I look at what the author said about our team and then the cowboys - said we had a great pick with bulaga and the rest of our draft was blah so we get a C- while the cowgirls drafted dez (whom btw we could have) and the author says this guy alone gives them an A ...

personally Id give us a C+ possible B- of course seeing what these guys can actually do is important but hey its the offseason (what else are we supposed to do but conjecture)
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Updated April 25, 2010
2010 NFL Draft grades

FoxSports
How'd your team do in the draft?

Arizona: Some thought the Cardinals would pursue a quarterback in this draft, but they passed on some big names and ended up taking strong-armed John Skeleton of Fordham in the fifth round. Tennessee DT Dan Williams fell into their lap in the first round and he should be the nose tackle this 3-4 defense needs. They traded with the Patriots to take TCU OLB Darrell Washington, who had 39 reps of 225 pounds at the Combine and was once considered a possible first-round pick by the Jets. Washington had a super senior season at TCU and maybe he replaces Karlos Dansby as a playmaker -- great value with the 47th overall pick in Washington. Wisconsin pass rusher O'Brien Schofield will start training camp on the physically unable to perform list after tearing his ACL at the Senior Bowl, but he has tremendous upside when healthy. Not a need position, but Schofield, who was the MVP of the East-West game, was good value. Grade: B

Atlanta: The Falcons concentrated on filling needs with Missouri OLB Sean Weatherspoon, possibly the most complete linebacker in the draft. He can cover and also rush the passer. To beef up the defensive line, Kentucky DT Corey Peters was taken with the 83rd overall pick and he should be a run stuffer. Alabama guard Mike Johnson is a physical run blocker and gives the Falcons some much needed depth at the position. Johnson started 41 consecutive games and played in a school-record 54 games. You have to remember, too, that the Falcons used a second-round pick on Tony Gonzalez, who paid huge dividends last season to Matt Ryan and the offense. Weatherspoon should be a starter. Guard Joe Hawley provided much-need depth. Oklahoma CB Dominique Franks knows how to play, but does he possess NFL speed and quickness? Grade: B

Baltimore: GM Ozzie Newsome made all the right moves on the first two days of the draft, trading out of the first round and getting two quality defensive players with first-round grades in Texas linebacker Sergio Kindle of Texas and massive Alabama nose tackle Terrence Cody with the 57th overall pick. Kindle was downgraded by some teams out of the first round because of a knee injury, but he's a fast, explosive outside linebacker and should fit well in Baltimore's defensive scheme. Cody has struggled with his weight (he's listed at 350 pounds), but Newsome feels that he has a relationship with the fellow Alabama grad and can get this guy under control. The addition of Cody means that few teams will be able to move the Baltimore middle. Syracuse DE Arthur Jones was a super value pick. Baltimore added to their receiving corps with Utah's David Reed, who has excellent hands and is quick out of the break. Grade: B+

Buffalo: The Bills passed on their quarterback needs (maybe Trent Edwards is better than we think?), but they took the draft's best running back, Clemson's C.J. Spiller, who is a home-run hitter. To shore up their porous run defense, they grabbed 318-pound nose tackle Torrell Troup of Central Florida about 20 spots too high. Troup was a three-year starter and a team captain and ran a spectacular 5.1 40-yard dash. Arkansas State DE Alex Carrington should fit ideally into the 3-4 scheme. Surprisingly, the trade rumors were false on Marshawn Lynch, meaning that he and Spiller could be in the same backfield, which should pose problems for opposing defenses. Troy QB Levi Brown was an interesting pick late, but Coach Chan Gailey apparently likes ex-Packer Brian Brohm, too. Grade: C

Panthers: On paper, if this is GM Marty Hurney's final draft with the Panthers, it has a chance to be his best. Hurney didn't have a first-round pick and he tried to trade up with the Rams in order to select Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen, but got him anyway with the 48th overall pick in the second round. Clausen should give Matt Moore a run for his money sometime this season as the starter. With Carolina's great running game, Clausen has excellent deep-ball accuracy. Remember, the Panthers traded away their first-round pick last year to San Francisco in order to draft Everette Brown, who had 15 tackles and 2 1/2 sacks last season. To help Moore and Claussen, the Panthers got two potential playmakers in Armanti Edwards and Brandon LaFell. Edwards was the quarterback at Appalachian State where he won two national titles, but he projects as a receiver and maybe even a wildcat quarterback. LaFell had a rough senior season at LSU and ran a poor 4.62 at the Combine, but he finished with 175 receptions for 25 TDs. The only bad thing was that Hurney traded away next year's second-round pick to the Patriots to get this done. OLB Eric Norwood was also good value in the fourth round. Cincinnati QB Tony Pike was an interesting pick. Grade: A+

Chicago: The Bears did pretty well, considering they didn't select until the 75th pick when they got tremendous value in safety Major Wright. The former Florida Gator draws immediate comparisons to the once-great Mike Brown, who suffered too many injuries in his short Chicago career. The Bears have had 21 different safeties since Lovie Smith took over and the hope is that Wright will be a mainstay. Northwestern's Corey Wooten had a chance to be a high pick this year until he had knee surgery, but he should develop into a great edge rusher. Considering their limited draft location, the Bears did well but GM Jerry Angelo made a critical mistake in not trading into the top of the round for an offensive tackle. Remember, the Bears have made so many personnel moves this off-season (Julius Peppers, Chester Taylor) to win this season. Central Michigan's Dan LeFevour has the smarts and feet to develop into a backup quarterback. He needs to improve his throwing accuracy. Grade: C

Cincinnati: Bengals QB Carson Palmer will be excited with Oklahoma TE Jermaine Gresham who can stretch the field and has been given a clean bill of health after missing all of last season with a knee injury. Most mock drafts had Gresham landing here. The Bengals typically select some risky players, but they claim that Carlos Dunlap's DUI conviction prior to the SEC championship game was an aberration. Dunlap was a great pass rusher at Florida and he has drawn comparisons to Julius Peppers because he's 6-6 and 277 pounds and very athletic. His nickname was "Baby Freak" because he drew comparisons to former Gator Jevon Kearse. Dunlap had 26 tackles for losses and 19 1/2 sacks in his three-year career. Texas WR Jordan Shipley was very productive in college with at least six games with 10 or more catches. He's a physical, deep-threat receiver. Wake Forest CB Brandon Ghee has been compared favorably to current Bengals starter Johnathan Joseph. Ghee started 33 games, but came up with only one interception. The steal of their draft could be WR Dezmon Briscoe of Kansas who ran poorly at the Combine and has some off-the-field issues but once was considered just a step behind Dez Bryant in the Big 12 Conference. Grade: B.

Cleveland: For an offensive president, Mike Holmgren listened to his coaches and scouts and picked two secondary players with his first two picks. Cornerback Joe Haden started 40 games for Florida and finished with 157 tackles and 8 interceptions. They didn't reach on him. T.J. Ward of Oregon is a hitter, but he didn't have many interceptions in college and some had him rated as a fourth-round pick. Montario Hardesty was a great north-south runner at Tennessee, but can he juke and change direction in the lane? Hardesty is a banger and Holmgren thinks his running style will prove valuable in bad winter weather. But the key to the draft was the selection of Texas QB Colt McCoy with the 85th overall pick. McCoy won 45 games in 53 college starts. McCoy made perfect sense in the third round and he will be given every opportunity to be the future quarterback of this struggling franchise. Holmgren did say that he won't be coaching McCoy, nor will the rookie play this season. It's Jake Delhomme's job in 2010. Grade: B+

Dallas: With the uneven play of Roy Williams, owner Jerry Jones wanted a playmaker opposite Miles Austin and he moved up in the draft to get Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant, who will wear Michael Irvin's No. 88 jersey. Bryant's upbringing and the fact that he lied to NCAA investigators about his involvement with Deion Sanders got him suspended troubled some teams, but not the Cowboys, who will build a support system around him. Jones claims that he won't trade Williams or Patrick Crayton to make Bryant's transition easier. Penn State's Sean Lee was the most instinctive linebacker in college football last season and the only concern about him is if he can keep himself healthy. Several teams wanted Lee, but the Eagles traded a pick with Jones in order for him to become a Cowboy. Akwasi Owusu-Ansah is a big, athletic cornerback from tiny Indiana (Pa.) State. He's coming off an injury, but he's expected to be ready for training camp. The Cowboys didn't address their needs on the offensive line, but there are big hopes that either Doug Free or Robert Brewster, a third-round pick last year, will fill Flozell Adams' spot at left tackle. Grade: B

Denver: Yes, there have been many snickers around the NFL about coach Josh McDaniels being immature (Chargers incident last season) and still learning on game days. But he's turned into one trading Jessie on draft day. He and GM Brian Xander left the first round with two selections and the two players they wanted in WR Demaryius Thomas and QB Tim Tebow, who should compete with Kyle Orton for the starting job. Unlike Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler, these two players are saints and definitely hard-workers. Zane Beadles played left tackle at Utah, but is projected inside as a guard and was a solid pick in the middle of the second round. Minnesota receiver Eric Decker was a one-man show in college and a lot of teams loved him in the second round until a foot injury sidelined him. Decker played all four seasons at Minnesota and finished with 227 catches for 3,119 yards and 24 TDs. Cal CB Syd'quan Thompson projects to be a physical, tough zone player and should make the team despite being a seventh-rounder. McDaniels eventually took a risky pick in Oklahoma State CB Perrish Cox, who was suspended at the end of the season, but he could turn into a top-flight player and returner. Grade: B+

Detroit: GM Martin Mayhew learned under former boss Matt Millen and he's responded by being more aggressive and also selecting quality. The Lions wanted Cal running back Jahvid Best in the second round, but got fearful and traded into the bottom of the first round to make sure they grabbed the complimentary runner to Kevin Smith. DT Ndamukong Suh was the top-rated player in the draft and he went second overall simply because the Rams had to take a quarterback. Iowa CB Amari Spievey was a ballhawk in college and the Lions need him to produce. Miami OT Jason Fox will be given every opportunity to make the lineup. Nate Burleson was a quality addition in the offseason, too, but he won't have to contend with Mr. Irrelevant, Weber State receiver Tim Toone, the last player taken in the draft. Toone is 5-11 with 4.55 speed. Grade: B

Green Bay: The Packers got great value with their first pick, Iowa OT Bryan Bulaga, who has a chance to start as a rookie at right tackle. Georgia Tech safety Morgan Burnett gives the Packers some depth at safety where Atari Bigby has had injury concerns. Mike Neal is really strong and spent five years at Purdue, starting as a defensive end and then switching to defensive tackle. His first love was basketball, but he will play end in the 3-4 defense. He had 26 tackles for a loss and 13 sacks at Purdue. The best news about the team's top three picks is that all are solid citizens with no injury history. TE Andrew Quarless spent a lot of time in Joe Paterno's doghouse at Penn State, but he did have 41 catches last season and could be a deep threat for Aaron Rodgers. RB James Stark missed his entire senior season at Buffalo, but if he plays to his old level could prove to be a valuable addition. Grade: C

Houston: The Texans shocked most scouts by taking Alabama CB Kareem Jackson over Kyle Wilson, but they believe Jackson is more versatile and can play press and also fill the nickel role. Auburn RB Ben Tate (5-11, 220 pounds) is a powerful back with no durability issues, plus he ran 4.34 and had a spectacular workout at the Combine. They took a high motor defensive lineman in Earl Mitchell of Arizona who lacks size and may be a situational defender. Wisconsin TE Garrett Graham is solid insurance, considering Owen Daniels' injury history. Miami (Fla.) LB Darryl Sharpton is an instinctive player and he should help on special teams right away and could force his way into the lineup. They added another tight end in Pitt's Dorin Dickerson, who caught 10 touchdowns last season. Dickerson was ranked as a top-100 player, but he fell to the 227th pick for some reason. Maybe it's because he's not a good blocker and more of a receiver than a tight end? Grade: C

Indianapolis: Bill Polian said he wanted defense in this draft and he went out and did exactly that. TCU pass rusher Jerry Hughes fits the Dwight Freeney mold and should help immediately in the rotation. Iowa MLB Pat Angerer has the right name for a football player and should back up Gary Brackett. He's a very instinctive player and was highly productive in college. USC's Kevin Thomas has played against some of the best in the Pac-10 and fits the Indy mold. Oklahoma's Brody Elridge (6-5, 261) was the best blocking tight end in the draft and fills a short-yardage need. Tennessee OG Jacques McClendon gives the team some depth on what is a questionable offensive line. Grade: B

Jacksonville: The Jaguars had only 14 sacks last season and that's why they focused on defensive linemen and pass rushers in this draft. However, they should have traded down to get Cal's Tyson Alualu instead of picking him with the 10th overall selection. Maybe the 49ers would have made that trade for their 17th overall pick? The draft consensus is that Alualu ranked between 25 and 40 on the majority of team's draft boards. The Jaguars must be faulted for not knowing the value of their first pick. Larry Hart, a defensive end from Central Arkansas, has a chance to be special. Austen Lee and D'Anthony Smith are rangy, athletic pass rushers. Scotty McGee of Murray State has 4.37 speed and should upgrade the return game. One good move was adding linebacker Kirk Morrison, who has led the Raiders in tackles for five straight seasons. Grade: C-

Kansas City: Former NFL coach Monte Kiffin says that Tennessee safety Eric Berry is ready to play right away on the pro level and destined to be a star. Berry likes to think of himself as the next Ronnie Lott. Dexter McCluster, Ole Miss, could be the slot receiver that Matt Cassel had in Wes Welker when with the Patriots. Many compare McCluster to Darren Sproles or former Giants Dave Meggett when gauging his versatility. And with the pick for Tony Gonzalez, the Chiefs took Javier Arenas of Alabama, who may be the best returner in the draft. He's only 5-8, but he made a lot of plays for the Tide off the edge. The first three picks all came from the SEC. Free safety Kendrick Lewis plays better than he ran at the Combine and is a classic overachiever and high character player. Grade: B

Miami: The Dolphins took advantage of their work at the Senior Bowl by drafting a lot of players they coached there, plus they moved down in the first round, saving some money in order to pay new receiver Brandon Marshall. First pick Jared Odrick of Penn State fits their defensive scheme in the 3-4 and Utah outside linebacker Koa Misi is a pass-rush specialist and a hard-nosed player. The Dolphins have already said that DE Randy Starks will be moved to nose tackle in order to make room for Odrick and Misi on the outside. Ole Miss OT John Jerry, whose brother Peria plays for the Falcons, will slide down to guard where his powerful leverage and quickness should be better suited. Grade: A

Minnesota: The Vikings tried to trade back into the first round for Boise State CB Kyle Wilson because cornerback was a need. They ended up with Virginia's Chris Cook, who ran a 4.49 at the combine. This position was a need because the Vikings probably won't have Cedric Griffin for the start of the season, plus veteran Antoine Winfield missed six games last season and will be 33 this season. In a trade with the Texans, the Vikings took Stanford RB Toby Gearhart, who rushed for 1,871 yards and 28 touchdowns last season. He was Jimmy Johnson's favorite college player. Gearhart should be able to spell Adrian Peterson and keep the offense moving. USC pass rusher Everson Griffin was a top-25 talent in the fourth round while Minnesota LB Nathan Triplett gives them some insurance in case E.J. Henderson doesn't fully recover. Grade: C+

New England: No one understands the NFL trading game better than Bill Belichick, who moved around in this draft and left it with two first-round and two second-round picks for 2011. This is great news because those picks could be extremely valuable if the league institutes a rookie salary cap. New England's first two picks, Rutgers CB Devin McCourty, and Arizona TE Rob Gronkowski, were need picks. The Pats really don't have a tight end after losing Ben Watson. Gronkowski missed the entire 2009 season with a back injury, but Tom Brady should find him down the seam because he is 6-6, 265 pounds. He averaged 18.1 yards a catch. Florida LB Brandon Spikes is an old-school middle linebacker who has superior instincts and probably is a better all-around player than DE Jermaine Cunningham who was taken nine picks ahead of him. In the fifth round, the Pats took punter Zoltan Mesko of Michigan and he figures to make the team. Grade: B+

New Orleans: Starting offensive tackle Jamaal Brown, who will be an unrestricted free-agent in 2011, wasn't happy with the selection of USC Charles Brown in the second round. Brown is a left tackle and he was value pickup late in the second round because he appeared in the first round on some mock drafts. LSU defensive tackle Al Woods needs to work his double-team moves, but he did have a 37-inch vertical jump for a huge man. Woods fills a defensive need. Miami TE Jimmy Graham is the perfect Sean Payton pick because he's a project after playing only one season of college ball. First pick Patrick Robinson of Florida State suits the Saints' style of defense; he can play zone coverage or press coverage on the outside. Robinson gives this team necessary depth, considering how much they love to blitz. Boston College center Matt Tennant adds depth while Oregon State QB Sean Canfield may push aging Mark Brunell. Grade: C

New York Giants: The Giants wanted Alabama MLB Rolando McClain, but they might have lucked out with Phillip Dillard with the 115th pick. Dillard was a solid middle linebacker at Nebraska and played super at the end of the season for the Cornhuskers. Before that, the Giants risked their first-round pick on South Florida pass rusher Jason Pierre-Paul, who is physically gifted but short on football experience. NT Linval Joseph battled weight issues (up to 370 pounds) at East Carolina, but he's a powerful player who has a chance to anchor the defensive line. LSU safety Chad Jones played in the outfield for the Tigers' national championship team and the Giants love his hands and 6-2, 220-pound frame. With 44-year-old Jeff Feagles entering his 23rd NFL season, the Giants took East Carolina punter Matt Dodge in the fifth round. Grade: B-

New York Jets: They fell into one of the draft's best cover cornerbacks in Kyle Wilson of Boise State at the bottom of the first round. Wilson could end up teaming with Darrelle Revis. OT Vladimir Ducasse moved here in 2002 from Haiti and only played two years of high school football, but he started three years at Massachusetts and was all-league twice. Ducasse is a great project because he's 6-4, 332 pounds with 35-inch arms. USC running back Joe McKnight was great value in the fourth round. His style suits the pro game because he can catch and also return kicks. The key is whether McKnight is as productive as Leon Washington, who was traded to Seattle. They added a solid fullback blocker in Kentucky's John Conner, a 246-pounder. They also unloaded veteran guard John Faneca because he was guaranteed more than $5 million this season. Grade: B

Oakland: Owner Al Davis lit a bonfire under JaMarcus Russell with the acquisition of Redskins QB Jason Campbell for a 2012 fourth-round pick. Campbell is a deep-ball thrower that Davis has always loved. Russell is due over $9 million this season and I can see the Raiders asking him to take a $7 million pay reduction; if they release him, who would take him? Davis finally went against his size and speed measurements and simply took a quality football player in MLB Rolando McClain, the defensive leader of Alabama's national championship team. Lamarr Houston was a high school running back who ballooned into a very good defensive tackle at Texas. He should be a great one-gap penetrator. Finally, the Raiders took Maryland OT Bruce Campbell, the athletic phenom (4.84 for 314-pounder) at the Combine, who simply needs to listen to head coach Tom Cable to learn how to play a little tougher and stronger. Campbell had a low second-round grade, so it was a great selection. Clemson WR Jacoby Ford has 4.28 speed and should be a playmaker. To get Ford, Davis traded starting MLB Kirk Morrison to the Jaguars, opening up the position for McClain. Grade: A+

Philadelphia: The Eagles gave up a lot to move up in the first round to take Michigan pass rusher Brandon Graham, who was a dominant performer in the Big Ten. Andy Reid is hoping that second-round pick Nate Allen of South Florida can shore up the safety position, but he's not an intimidator like Brian Dawkins was for this franchise. Allen is also going to be remembered as the Donovan McNabb selection, too. A lot of pressure on this kid to produce. For all their ammunition prior to the draft, the Eagles kind of struck out. With the 122nd pick, the Eagles surprised many by taking Northwestern QB Mike Kafka over Tony Pike and Dan LeFevour. Obviously, Kafka is smart but his arm seemed limited. The Eagles did a lot better in the later rounds on value, getting Clemson OLB Ricky Sapp, who had second-round grades, Florida receiver Riley Cooper who should be a big target in the red zone and H-back Clay Harbor of Missouri State. Ohio State safety Kurt Coleman was a playmaker and has a shot to make the team from the seventh round. Grade: B-

Pittsburgh: There were phony rumors out there that Ben Roethlisberger was on the trading block, so the Steelers focused on shoring up the offensive line with Florida center Maurkice Pouncey, who was their target from the outset. Virgina Tech OLB Jason Worilds ideally suits the Steelers' 3-4 scheme as an edge rusher and may remind some of James Harrison. Former Ohio State standout Thaddeus Gibson is a great athlete who was only a one-year starter and he was something of tweener at OLB and defensive end. He's a project. SMU WR Emmanuel Sanders will try to fill Santonio Holmes' shoes. RB Johnathan Dwyer of Georgia Tech was considered a second-round pick, but fell to the sixth round because of a failed drug test for amphetamines for medical reasons at the Combine. Dwyer was off some teams' draft boards. Grade: B+

San Diego: The entire draft for the Chargers will be based on what kind of impact Fresno State running back Ryan Mathews makes this season. The Chargers gave up their 40th pick to move up in the first round and take Mathews, who was considered the draft's best all-around runner. Coach Norv Turner now has the big back to work with Darren Sproles. Washington linebacker Donald Butler can play inside and outside and is super smart. North Carolina's Cam Thomas (330 pounds) will be given every chance to win the starting nose tackle spot while the Chargers actually took a quarterback in Jonathan Compton, who passed for 27 touchdowns and 13 INTs last season with Tennessee. Grade: C

San Francisco: The 49ers bolstered their offensive line and didn't take a quarterback, meaning they will stick with Alex Smith this season. Anthony Davis of Rutgers will be given every chance to start at right tackle this season while Idaho guard Mike Iupati is a tremendous run blocker with a nasty streak. These two players will allow the 49ers to pound the ball while also providing Smith with better pocket protection. Free safety Taylor Mays of USC was considered a top ten pick a year ago, but he slipped this season because he didn't track the deep ball very well and missed so many interception opportunities. But Mays can run and tackle and should be a good fit. He is motivated to prove his worth, too. Mississippi State RB Anthony Dixon was a one-man offense in college and is a good fit behind Frank Gore. LB Navorro Bowman played well at Penn State, but his draft stock fell because of some off-the-field issues. Grade: A

Seattle: Despite former player Taylor Mays taking a personal shot at his former coach, Pete Carroll, the former USC coach had a great three-day draft. The Seahawks got a great playmaker in Texas safety Earl Thomas, who was coveted by coordinator Gus Bradley. And OT Russell Okung was the top-rated tackle on the majority of teams' boards and was available because the Redskins prefer a zone-blocking scheme and wanted a more athletic tackle in Trent Williams. They spent the 40th pick on Chargers QB Charlie Whitehurst. They needed a receiver and got Golden Tate, who had a great final season at Notre Dame with 93 catches for 1,496 yards and 15 touchdowns before going to play center field for the baseball team. They tried to trade for Marshawn Lynch, but ended up with ex-Trojan in LenDale White in a deal with the Titans. White gives them a power running back to go with Justin Forsett, considering how disappointing Julius Jones has been. But the best news was the acquisition of Leon Washington from the Jets, meaning that Jones might be an afterthought as a starter. Tate should be a return man. Carroll took a chance on his former player, Anthony McCoy, who tested positive for marijuana at the Combine. McCoy was hampered by an ankle injury last season. Grade: A+

St. Louis: This team, regardless of who the owner is, had no other choice but to draft a quarterback and hope that Sam Bradford does become the successful new face of the franchise. There should be no threat of a holdout because CEO Kevin Demoff has done four big contracts with agents Tom Condon/Ben Dogra over the past six seasons. Indiana OT Rodger Saffold, a three-year starter, had first-round grades by at least a dozen teams and this was another huge need. Marty Gilyard was an explosive receiver at Cincinnati and he should be the starting kick returner, too. DE George Selvie lost his starting job at South Florida to the Giants' first-round pick, Pierre-Paul, but he did have an awesome sophomore season and Penn State linebacker Josh Hull was a solid pick in the seventh round. There seemed to be 30 tight ends taken in this draft and the Rams took two of them in Michael Hoomanawanui of Illinois (the blocker) and Fendi Onobun of Arizona (the vertical threat). Grade: B

Tampa Bay: Maybe they had Ndamukong Suh rated higher than Gerald McCoy, but this Oklahoma tackle will be an instant starter and bring energy and pass-rush ability. The Bucs followed that with another DT in UCLA's Brian Price, a great three-technique rusher while ignoring a chance to take a receiver. But they got quality at that position with Arrelious Benn of Illinois because he entered the 2009 season as a top ten pick but suffered an ankle injury and struggled because of the horrible Illinois quarterback situation. Syracuse WR Mike Williams got suspended last season, but most teams had a second-round grade on him, so he was a bargain in the fourth round. I don't know if Cody Grimm can hold up in the NFL, but the Virginia Tech safety forced eight fumbles last season and is a high-energy guy. Grade: A

Tennessee: Having lost Kyle Vanden Bosch to the Lions in free-agency, the Titans fell into one of the draft's most complete defensive ends in Georgia Tech's Derrick Morgan in the first round. Most teams had Morgan as a top ten pick. USC receiver Damian Williams returned two punts for touchdowns last season and the Titans have a definite need in that area. Williams was also a productive receiver with 70 catches for 1,010 yards and six touchdowns. He finished is career with 17 TDs. Rennie Curran was a tackling machine at Georgia with 130 tackles in his senior season. The only knock on the 235-pound Curran is that he's only 5-10. Curran was also a team captain and started 25 games in his last two seasons. The Titans took the smartest player in the draft in former Florida State safety Myron Rolle, who spent last season as a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford. Rolle hopes to one day to become a surgeon. Grade: B

Washington: The only way to look at their draft is that Mike Shanahan gave up a second-round pick for Donovan McNabb, a veteran QB that he loves. OT Trent Williams will be an instant starter and his athletic style suits Washington's zone-blocking run scheme. LSU linebacker Perry Riley fills a need. The only bad thing is that the Redskins couldn't get better compensation (2011 fourth-round pick) for Jason Campbell in the trade with the Raiders. Grade: C

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

April 23, 2010
Grading the 2010 NFL Draft: 1st Round 
Giants, Bills and Bucs Ace First Round But Broncos, Jaguars and Chargers Make Questionable Picks, Says Pete Prisco

CBSSports.com senior writer Pete Prisco analyzes each pick from the 2010 NFL Draft, grading each team on their draft-night selections.

No.1: Rams select Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma, GRADE: A
Analysis: The Rams had no choice. This kid is a franchise player. He will be a star. They have their quarterback for the next 12 years.

No. 2: Lions select Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska, GRADE: B+
Analysis: The Lions need help on their defensive line and Suh will be a force for Jim Schwartz. He is big, fast and nasty. Just what you want. They could have gone offensive tackle here.

No. 3: Buccaneers select Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma, GRADE: A
Analysis: After doing the work on this kid, I actually liked him better than Suh. He will be a better inside pass rusher. He is quick. The Bucs have Warren Sapp without the garbage.

No. 4: Redskins select Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma, GRADE: B+
Analysis: He fits their system better than Okung. He is more athletic. We know Mike Shanahan likes that in his linemen. He will be a 10-year starter.

No. 5: Chiefs select Eric Berry, S, Tennessee, GRADE: B-
Analysis: I think this is too high for a safety. The value isn't there at that position. They have other needs. I just don't think he's worth a top 5 pick. He's good. But he isn't great.

No. 6: Seahawks select Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State, GRADE: B+
Analysis: This is a value pick for the Seahawks. They needed to replace Water Jones and this kid will do it. He is a good player and he fills a major need. I like the pick.

No. 7: Browns select Joe Haden, CB, Florida, GRADE: B+
Analysis: They needed a corner and the word was they liked Kyle Wilson. I like Haden. He is a smooth cover corner who will start right away.

No. 8: Raiders select Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama, GRADE: C+
Analysis: He's a good player, but is there value there? They could have taken a premier pass rusher. They do have troubles with the run defense, but Jason Pierre-Paul was a better pick.

No. 9: Bills select C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson, GRADE: A
Analysis: I love this pick. The kid will be the next Chris Johnson. He can fly. The Bills need a playmaker. If they don't take a QB, they had to help the offense.

No. 10: Jaguars select Tyson Alualu, DT, Cal, GRADE: C-
Analysis: Wow. Is this high? The kid is a good football player, but they could have traded back to get him. Why not a pass rusher? Pierre-Paul was a better pick. He's good, but this is high.

No. 11: 49ers select Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers, GRADE: C
Analysis: This is a reach. He is a good player, but this is high. He has some character issues, but they proved with Michael Crabtree last year that doesn't matter. He does fill a need.

No. 12: Chargers select Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State: GRADE: C-
Analysis: They wanted a back, and went and got one. This is high. You don't trade up to get a back. He's just not worth it. They could have waited until the second round. Backs can be found later.

No. 13: Eagles select Brandon Graham, OLB, Michigan, GRADE: A
Analysis: Love this pick. Love the aggression to go get him. He is a big-time pass rusher. He will be an immediate impact player in their defense. I like this pick as much as any.

No. 14: Seahawks select Earl Thomas, S, Texas, GRADE: B+
Analysis: They have a huge hole at safety, so this makes sense. He has the range you like in a cover safety. I really like this pick. They filled two big needs in this round.

No. 15: Giants select Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida, GRADE: A+
Analysis: This is the best pick of the first round. The Giants picked a star pass rusher. He will be a force. What a great pick. I love this pick more than any other. He will be a 12-15 sack player in a year.

No. 16: Titans select Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech, GRADE: B
Analysis: This fills a big hole left by the departure of Kyle Vanden Bosch. I don't like him as much as Pierre-Paul, but he is safe. It's a good pick.

No. 17: 49ers select Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho, GRADE: B
Analysis: He is a tough guy who will help the run game. The 49ers did a nice job fixing their line with two picks. They will be brutish. He plays a nasty style.

No. 18 Steelers select Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida, GRADE: B
Analysis: I really like this pick. He will help the middle of their line. He is a smart, physical player. He will help improve the run game.

No. 19: Falcons select Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri, GRADE: B-
Analysis: They liked him all along. I think Pouncey would have been their pick, but he was gone. Weatherspoon is a run-and-chase linebacker who fills a need. I think he's a tad overrated.

No. 20: Texans select Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama, GRADE: B
Analysis: This is a need pick. Jackson is a speedy cover corner who has played a lot of NFL-style defense at Alabama. The Texans have a big hole at corner, so it makes sense.

No. 21: Bengals select Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma, GRADE: B+
Analysis: They need a weapon in the middle of the field to help the passing game. He will help open up the passing game. They need a star tight end and Gresham has that potential.

No. 22: Broncos select Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech, GRADE: B-
Analysis: He is a good player coming off a leg injury. The knock on him is that he didn't run a lot of routes at Georgia Tech. But he can. He fills a big hole.

No. 23: Packers select Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa, GRADE: B+
Analysis: They needed offensive tackle help and this is a player who slipped. At this spot, this is good value. He will push for time at right tackle this season.

No. 24: Cowboys select Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State, GRADE: A-
Analysis: You have to like the Cowboys going up to get Bryant. This is a player who will help the passing game in a big way. Forget the off-the-field issues. They were overrated. He can play.

No. 25: Broncos select Tim Tebow, QB, Florida, GRADE: F
Analysis: By far and away the worst pick in this draft. Wow. How can you justify trading away Cutler and picking this kid. He's a fifth-round pick -- at best. Now we know why Josh McDaniels will last one more year in Denver. Horrible. Just horrible.

No. 26: Cardinals select Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee, GRADE: A
Analysis: He fills a big need inside. The fact he fell to them was a nice move for the Cardinals. This kid was considered a top-10 pick. Good value.

No. 27: Patriots select Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers, GRADE: B
Analysis: The Patriots traded down and still got a quality corner. They keep getting younger in the secondary, which they needed to do. He will join Darius Butler as two young corners.

No. 28: Dolphins select Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State, GRADE: B
Analysis: The Dolphins needed help on their front line and they landed a good, solid player. He might not be a star, but in their 3-4 defense he is perfect.

No. 29: Jets select Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State, GRADE: A
Analysis: The rich get richer. Go ahead and try and throw against their secondary. He will be the nickel corner with Revis and Cromartie. They will blitz even more.

No. 30: Lions select Jahvid Best, RB, Cal, GRADE: C
Analysis: This is a bit of a reach. He is a good player, but the concussion issues have to matter. And they traded back in to get him? He's good, but this is too high.

No. 31: Colts select Jerry Hughes, DE, TCU, GRADE: A
Analysis: I love this kid. He is an explosive pass rusher. Just what they need, right? But he fits what they do. He might also be able to play outside linebacker. Bill Polian knows football players.

No. 32: Saints select Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State, GRADE: B
Analysis: He's a nice cover player who can play man coverage, which the Saints need. This probably means Malcolm Jenkins is going to safety.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

2010 NFL Draft Grades 
James Joyner | Sunday, April 25, 2010

While OTB Sports editor Bill Jempty handled the pick-by-pick analysis of the 2010 NFL Draft, below is my annual compilation of draft grades handed out by the media gurus who do this sort of thing.

While itll be three to four years before we really know how any of the teams did it just takes that long for players, especially quarterbacks, to demonstrate their potential we all want to know how our teams did. But even die-hard fans have likely never heard of the guys picked in the later rounds, so we rely on draft grades from the experts and the various never-to-be-visited-again report cards as they come out to sustain is in the long months between the conclusion of the draft and the start of training camp.

Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News, Pro Football Hall of Fame member: Goose is the NFL writer whose opinions I trust most. Hes not only a veteran of the business and widely respected among his peers, but the professional scouts and GMs talk to him, so he can evaluate what they were thinking rather than just grading according to a generic list.

ARIZONA CARDINALS GRADE: C Williams was a gift a top-10 pick who slid deep into the first round. TCUs Washington walks in as a starter, replacing free agent Karlos Dansby. But Schofield may not play this season and Skelton is a developmental project.

ATLANTA FALCONS GRADE: C The Falcons started fast with Weatherspoon and Peters for the defense but finished slow. Franks provides some depth in coverage, but Hawley and Johnson were reaches to fill needs on the offensive front

BALTIMORE RAVENS GRADE: B The Ravens lost two players when teams traded up directly in front of them Dez Bryant to the Cowboys and Rob Gronkowski to the Patriots. But GM Ozzie Newsome always seems to make it work. Kindle and Cody were steals.

BUFFALO BILLS GRADE: B The Bills claimed the drafts most dynamic offensive weapon in Spiller, then went to work retooling the defensive front. Troup (314 pounds) and Carrington (285) give the Bills size, and sixth-rounders Moats and Batten give them speed.

CAROLINA PANTHERS GRADE: C The Panthers did quite well considering they didnt have a first-rounder. A team with quarterback problems no longer has any with the arrivals of Clausen and Pike. Carolina had the best sixth round of this draft.

CHICAGO BEARS GRADE: C The Bears didnt have a pick in the first two rounds, but GM Jerry Angelo was on his game in the third day, landing Wootton, Moore and LeFevour. Wright gives the Bears a playmaker in a division suddenly flush with quarterbacks.

CINCINNATI BENGALS GRADE: C Anyone remember the last time the Bengals made a draft day deal? They stay put and take whoever falls to them. Tight end was a top priority, and Gresham fell to them in the first. Longhorns Shipley and Muckelroy also were sliders.

CLEVELAND BROWNS GRADE: B If Mike Holmgren is right about McCoy, the Browns are finally headed in the right direction after years of floundering with Tim Couch, Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson. Haden, Ward and Hardesty all should start as rookies.

DALLAS COWBOYS GRADE: C The Cowboys drafted the NFL offensive rookie of the year in Bryant. But one pick does not a draft make. Sean Lee is the only other draft pick likely to have an impact from this class. Owusu-Ansah is an interesting developmental project.

DENVER BRONCOS GRADE: A The Broncos had the best third round of this draft. Walton can do at center for Josh McDaniels Broncos what Tom Nalen did for Mike Shanahans Broncos, and Decker will remind the Denver faithful of Ed McCaffrey.

DETROIT LIONS GRADE: B The Lions had the best first round of the draft. The best player (Suh) fell into their laps at 2, then Detroit traded up to get a speedy offensive playmaker in Best. Hell make Matthew Stafford a better quarterback.

GREEN BAY PACKERS GRADE: C The Packers needed to get younger at offensive tackle and did so with the Bulaga selection. Neal provides some bulk for the run defense, and Burnett is a ball hawk at the back end. He intercepted 14 passes at Georgia Tech.

HOUSTON TEXANS GRADE: C Jackson was the most physical cornerback in the draft, and Tate was the last of the four top-shelf running backs available. That was a definite need pick. Dickerson and Graham offer similar skills at the H-back position.

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS GRADE: C Hughes is a perfect fit in Indys undersized speed pass-rush scheme, and he inexplicably fell to them at the end of the first round. Eldridge was the best-blocking tight end in this draft, and Angerer plays with anger against the run.

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS GRADE: D The Jaguars wanted to get bigger and more aggressive in the defensive front seven and used the first four picks on linemen and linebackers. Alualu was a reach in the first, and that slowed the draft down for Jacksonville.

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS GRADE: A+ The Chiefs drafted the NFL defensive rookie of the year in Berry and a slew of other good players. Arenas was the best returner in the draft, and McCluster will give the AFC matchup problems at both running back and receiver.

MIAMI DOLPHINS GRADE: B A typical Bill Parcells draft even if he stays in the background and lets GM Jeff Ireland and coach Tony Sparano speak for the franchise. Its apparent Parcells believes championships are won in the defensive front seven.

MINNESOTA VIKINGS GRADE: C The Vikings didnt have a first-rounder but rallied in the second with the biggest cornerback in the draft and college footballs best running back in 2009. Walker Award winner Gerhart will ease some of the pressure on Adrian Peterson.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS GRADE: A The Patriots had the best second round in this draft. Gronkowski is a walk-in starter at tight end, and Spikes provides a run-support presence next to Jerod Mayo. New England also took the best punter in the draft.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS GRADE: A Graham could be the home run of this draft. He played football only one season in college and has a huge upside. Robinson, Brown and Woods were multiyear starters for perennial bowl teams. Tennant could be a 10-year starter.

NEW YORK GIANTS GRADE: B The Giants like to draft giants. Pierre-Paul goes 270 at end and Joseph 328 at tackle. Pierre-Paul has the best upside of any player in this draft. He started only seven college games but is a pass-rush terror.

NEW YORK JETS GRADE: C The Jets have spent the off-season focusing on adding vets (Jason Taylor, Santonio Holmes, LaDainian Tomlinson). The draft has been an afterthought; the Jets only had four picks. Conner was the best fullback in the draft.

OAKLAND RAIDERS GRADE: B The Raiders hit home runs in their draft slots in the first and second round, toughening themselves up on defense with the additions of McClain and Houston. Campbell (size) and Ford (speed) were typical Raider picks in the fourth.

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES GRADE: C Graham was the most polished pass rusher in this draft. The Eagles also had the best fourth round. Harbor gives QB Kevin Kolb a move tight end in the Dallas Clark mold, and Kafka gives Andy Reid insurance at quarterback.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS GRADE: C Pouncey is a huge upgrade on an offensive line that was more blue collar than talented. Worilds will sit for two years figuring out the Dick LeBeau defense, then become a Pro Bowl pass rusher in a 2012.

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS GRADE: C The Chargers had one pressing need in this draft a running back and traded high into the first round to get him in Mathews. So kudos to GM A.J. Smith. Butler, Thomas and Epps make San Diego more physical up front.

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS GRADE: B The 49ers made Frank Gore and Alex Smith better players by drafting a left side of the offensive line in Davis and Iupati. They will help San Francisco win the physical battles up front, and Mays will help win them on defense.

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS GRADE: A Having coached at Southern Cal all those years, Pete Carroll gave the Seahawks the same edge at the draft table that a young Jimmy Johnson once gave the Cowboys. Surprisingly, he took only one of his former Trojans.

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS GRADE: C The Bucs had the best seventh round with two special teams demons in Grimm and Watson and a potential steal in Lorig if he can shake a lingering groin injury. Lorig, McCoy and Price could comprise a dominating front.

TENNESSEE TITANS GRADE: C The pass rush will get better with the arrival of Morgan, and Curran will give the Titans run defense additional backbone. Verner and Johnson are playmakers. Verner scored five college TDs and Johnson picked off 13 passes.

WASHINGTON REDSKINS GRADE: D One pick in the first three rounds is the prescription for disaster on draft day. The Redskins got a good one in OT Williams but were left to pick up everyone elses scraps when they returned to the fray in the fourth round.

Mel Kiper, ESPN. Hes the biggest name in draft coverage, having made it his obsession for going on three decades.

Seattle Seahawks Pete Carroll and the new Seahawks regime came out of the gates with a bang. Impact players early, value later, and some trades thrown in. And they were patient! Russell Okung lands in their laps at No. 6, Earl Thomas is there at No. 14. Golden Tate is still there at No. 60. All three can help the team not in a few years, but immediately. A swap netted the team LenDale White, who isnt remarkable, but it cost them nothing. Then, Seattle parlayed a fifth-rounder into Leon Washington. No team outside of possibly Detroit added impact players the way Seattle has. Draft grade: A

Baltimore Ravens For top grades, its a contrast in styles. Seattle had high picks and got great fits, then waited and got Golden Tate. Baltimore traded down and still loaded up on talent all over the place. In Round 2, they got both Sergio Kindle and Terrence Cody, a pair of guys who could have landed in the first round. They get a pair of fantastic tight end prospects in Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta, continuing a promise to both buy and draft options for Joe Flacco. Love the Arthur Jones pick, a one-time Big Board guy who fell to the fifth round, mostly because of health issues. Even in the sixth, the Ravens got Ramon Harewood, a small-college tackle prospect who has a chance to develop. Draft grade: A

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tampa had a great draft. They get arguably the best all-around talent in the draft in Gerald McCoy, then, in a move reminiscent of what San Francisco decided to do along the offensive line, they nabbed Brian Price early in the second round with the hope they could get the wide receiver they needed a little later. Price and McCoy should complement each other well. That receiver turned out to be Arrelious Benn with the No. 39 pick, and he can be a good one. By the fourth round, when Tampa landed Mike Williams with the 101st overall pick, they had four guys Ive had on the Big Board at some point. Myron Lewis at corner is another solid pick. The story for Tampa is they drastically improved arguably their two weakest position groups. Productive draft. Draft grade: B+

Philadelphia Eagles The Eagles were positioned well to take advantage of a deep draft, and they did, piling up seven productive picks between the third and fifth rounds. But Philly started well too. In Brandon Graham they have a potential Rookie of the Year on defense. They filled a need at safety with Nate Allen, and I like Trevard Lindley in the fourth. He has second-round ability. Ricky Sapp may be a tweener, but getting a guy who can get to the quarterback like he can in the fifth round is good value. He could be a solid situational pass-rusher early in his career. Riley Cooper is quicker than many people think to go with above-average size. Draft grade: B+

Arizona Cardinals The Cardinals could have a good grade for their first round alone, patiently waiting as Dan Williams fell right to them. Hes a supreme nose tackle, and will be enjoyed both by his linemates and the linebackers running free behind him. Perfect pick at a late-first-round stage. Daryl Washington lacks size, but hes a freak athlete who can get to the quarterback. Andre Roberts is a sleeper, and couldve gone earlier than late-third. A pick I love is OBrien Schofield. Coming off an injury, hes essentially a redshirt as a rookie, but the kid can become a top-flight pass-rusher. Love the bet they made there. Draft grade: B+

Detroit Lions You cant dock Detroit just because it had the biggest no-brainer pick in the whole draft. Ndamukong Suh, combined with Detroits offseason additions to the line, makes that a position of strength for Detroit. Its hard to fathom that Detroit wouldnt be markedly improved on defense in 2010. Jahvid Best is a game-changer, and should help Matthew Stafford. Hes also the kind of player who doesnt need a huge hole to hit a home run for that offense. Amari Spievey is a nice addition in a secondary that needs help, and Jason Fox can help them. I like Detroits draft at least for the fact that you can see impact soon for a team that needs it. Draft grade: B+

Pittsburgh Steelers What the Steelers did had some subtlety, and you have to consider their system and needs when you evaluate it. Smart to take Maurkice Pouncey and shore up the interior of that offensive line. The Steelers targeted athletic OLB types like Jason Worilds, Thaddeus Gibson and Stevenson Sylvester. The Steelers like to develop these guys in their 3-4, but in the meantime, those are the guys who can help shore up what was a disastrous special teams unit in 2009. A trade with Arizona to reclaim Bryant McFadden probably pleased fans. Not an amazing draft, but Pittsburgh got the type of guys they like. Dont sleep on Jonathan Dwyer, the last player taken in the draft who at one time cracked the Big Board. Hell be coming to camp with a lot to prove. Draft grade: B

Houston Texans Pick a position group and the Texans took a stab at finding a good player there. They got a solid corner to replace Dunta Robinson with Kareem Jackson at No. 19. A predictable, solid pick. Ben Tate looks even better as a value at No. 58 considering Minnesota traded up to get Toby Gerhart at No. 51, and given the struggles to hang onto the ball by Houston rushers last year, he figures to get a great look. Then theres players with promise all over. Darryl Sharpton could get a look on the inside of the 3-4 at linebacker, and Trindon Holliday could be the next Dante Hall. Even Dorin Dickerson way down at No. 227 has promise at tight end if he can add strength. Nothing amazing, but plenty of promise. Draft grade: B

San Diego Chargers San Diego definitely got their guy in Ryan Mathews. The question is whether they needed to get all the way up to No. 12 to get him. But again, you have to find someone to trade with, and Miami was a logical trading partner as a team trying hard to move down. They didnt have a lot of picks, but I liked the Chargers getting a great value in Cam Thomas in the fifth, and Darrell Stuckey has a chance to be a good starter in this league. Donald Butler, an inside linebacker, has good athleticism for the position, and has a chance to become the starter eventually. Draft grade: B

New York Jets We can at least say the Jets got better in their secondary. Kyle Wilson is a guy some people thought could crack the top 15 picks. Now you can intensify the blitz knowing Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Wilson are back there looking to pick off errant passes. The trade up for Joe McKnight adds a dimension to the backfield and also has familiarity with Mark Sanchez. McKnights durability is a question, but his pass-catching skills can help that offense. Vladimir Ducasse could become a starter and John Conner is the drafts best fullback. Just four picks, but zero misses. Draft grade: B

San Francisco 49ers Give San Francisco credit. Early on in the draft it had a chance to get better in a couple of places and decided to get a lot better in one. But consider the trickle-down effect: By taking Anthony Davis, the left tackle with the highest upside in the draft emphasis on upside and then a lock to be a good NFL guard in Mike Iupati, the Niners are a better running team right now. The passing game suddenly seems better as well. Taylor Mays at No. 49 is a good value selection, and the kid will be motivated, but I think were past pretending he was a steal because of his size-speed combination. His tape fell really flat. Navorro Bowman has size questions, but hes better than No. 91 overall. Draft grade: B

New York Giants Good draft. I like the bet theyre making on Jason Pierre-Paul. If you have a chance to take a star at that point, and it wont kill you in the meantime because you have some depth, its a shot you can take. Beyond that, Linval Joseph could be a steal. A really active player at his size. Giants fans may not know Phillip Dillard, but as inside linebackers go, he has excellent range and could develop into a really good one. At No. 117 overall, thats a nice get. Draft grade: B

Carolina Panthers Carolina started late, but consistently got value. The debate on Jimmy Clausen started a long time ago and it wont end just because the draft is complete, but to get a guy with his skill set and upside at No. 48 is exceptional value no matter where you stand on the debate. I liked Brandon LaFell at No. 78, and Eric Norwood and Greg Hardy in the fourth and sixth rounds, respectively, are both low on risk and extremely high on potential. Norwood is inconsistent, but hes looked positively dominating in some games, and Hardy drops mostly because of injury questions. Tony Pike may even develop into a chip they can move down the line. Draft grade: B

Chicago Bears Chicago was absent for two rounds, but tried to address needs when they entered the picture. The Bears neither reached nor got amazing value in Major Wright, the Florida safety. But they needed a safety, and Wright has a real chance to fill that void. Corey Wootton wasnt 100 percent in 2009 after coming off a bad knee injury, and could be a camp surprise. A decent pick. Overall, like any team stuck outside the top two rounds, the Bears were hard-pressed to find impact talent, but they were resourceful given their limitations. (The late add of a local quarterback never hurts.) Draft grade: B

New England Patriots New England once again took a surgical, long-range approach to the draft, getting some good talent, but also positioning themselves for a haul in 2011. You have to factor that into the analysis. But they made some picks I liked this year as well. Devin McCourty has the chance to be very good. They add a potential big-time talent in Rob Gronkowski, but his back issues pose a risk. Brandon Spikes is a guy whose tape is better than the measurements, but Bill Belichick has succeeded with those guys for years. Taylor Price should develop. Draft grade: B-

Dallas Cowboys The question for Dallas fans shouldnt be about the talent of the players the Cowboys picked up early. The Boys traded up for Dez Bryant in that case they slipped in just ahead of Baltimore, where Bryant would have been a huge score and did the same for Sean Lee, a likely replacement at some point for Keith Brooking. But unless they do something in the interim, the Cowboys will head into camp with Doug Free as the best left tackle on the roster, and while the team likes Frees potential, Tony Romos blindside protection is still a concern. Getting Akwasi Owusu-Ansah in Round 4 I liked. He could make the transition to safety. Draft grade: B-

Green Bay Packers Green Bay stuck to a good plan in the first round and got an ideal fit in Bryan Bulaga. In the second and third rounds, I think they may have reached a bit with Mike Neal and Morgan Burnett. Good players, but I think in both cases there were some better options. The grade goes up a notch with the addition of James Starks so late. If hes healthy, and he should be when he arrives for camp, he could be one of those running backs whom everybody wonders how he fell so far. A really good size-speed package when hes right. Draft grade: B-

Kansas City Chiefs Say this for the Chiefs: They added players youll notice. Eric Berry is an impact safety and should become a star. Lets make one last Ed Reed comparison before we close the book on this draft. Dexter McCluster early in Round 2 surprised some people Jamaal Charles has impressed but a lot of people dont realize how versatile McCluster is. Aside from his obvious rush and return skills, he has great hands and can line up in the slot. He diversifies that offense. Still, the Chiefs are no better on either the offensive or defensive line, outside of Jon Asamoah, but I felt he played better as a junior. Javier Arenas is a good little player, but not a starter. Draft grade: B-

Tennessee Titans Tennessee stayed patient in Round 1 and got rewarded. No other defensive end in the draft has the polish and versatility of Derrick Morgan at this stage. Morgan seamlessly balances the role of pass-rusher and run defender. The absence of a player like Kyle Vanden Bosch is no longer an issue. But Morgan is the real highlight. Damian Williams has a chance to help but speed is a question. Rennie Curran plays with a ton of heart, and I think he has a chance as a weakside backer, but he was still a slight reach. Alterraun Verner has the chance to add corner depth, and give the Titans this: between math whiz Verner and Rhodes Scholar Myron Rolle, theyll have the smartest secondary in football if both stick. Draft grade: C+

St. Louis Rams Theres no way around the fact that this draft will come down to whether Sam Bradford becomes a star. I certainly think he has that kind of talent, but theres good reason to believe it shouldnt be right away. Bradford has to convert to a pro style system, and as smart and accurate as he is, lets just be realistic given the recent history of shotgun quarterbacks coming to the NFL. I dont mind the Rodger Saffold pick, but hes likely headed to the right side. Mardy Gilyard has some value, but the bigger issue with this draft is this: Every other team in the NFC West got better this weekend, and its hard to know if St. Louis really did. Draft grade: C+

Oakland Raiders There was a sense that Oakland may have reached slightly to take Rolando McClain, but framed against the backdrop of a draft in which they also got a physical talent like Bruce Campbell well into Round 4, Oakland improved upon last year. McClain fits a need the team reinforced that by trading Kirk Morrison and is ready to play. Oddly, speed has been a question (which doesnt fit the Al Davis mantra) with McClain, but I love his instincts. The Raiders definitely fit their profile with Campbell and then wideout Jacoby Ford, the fastest player in the draft. The issue with Ford is its straight-line speed. Even Jared Edwin Veldheer is a workout warrior. The late addition of Jason Campbell via trade is a decent move, but this is the Raiders a guy who failed elsewhere seems like a good upgrade. Somethings wrong with this picture. Draft grade: C+

Buffalo Bills Buffalo surprised me with its pick at No. 9. This is a team that has to get better up front, and it opted to go with C.J. Spiller instead. Spiller is, along with Jahvid Best, the best home run threat in the draft, and will undoubtedly help that offense. But the Bills reached on Torell Troup, who has to develop. Alex Carrington, who could get backup duty, is another slight reach in the third round. Then a wide receiver pick (Marcus Easley) left the Bills looking for a long shot breakthough at tackle. Edward Wang of Virginia Tech has a chance, but outside of Spiller, its hard to see where Buffalo got much better. Draft grade: C+

New Orleans Saints New Orleans made an attempt at need picks but didnt get a lot. Blame a lot of that on where the Saints were picking from. Super Bowl winners rarely get high grades for drafts. Patrick Robinson is a tough corner who provides starts or depth immediately. Then the Saints got Charles Brown with the last pick in the second round, a fair value. Centers will never go high, but Matt Tennant is one of the best the draft had to offer. Jimmy Graham could be a good developmental tight end from a school thats produced some good ones. Not a flashy draft, but the Saints didnt have many options. Draft grade: C

Cincinnati Bengals Everywhere you look on the Cincy draft board, you see players you assumed would go much higher. Maybe no team outside of Baltimore did so much given its position. At No. 21, the Bengals got the drafts best tight end. At No. 60, they got a significant talent in Carlos Dunlap, a guy at one time considered a lock for the top 10. Problem is he rarely played like it, off-field issues aside. Poor Brandon Ghee was the last guy in the green room, which means most of us thought he could be at least a second-round pick. The Bengals nabbed him at No. 96. Roddrick Muckelroy is a decent pick at No. 131, and I also like the Dezmon Briscoe pick late in the sixth round. Draft grade: C

Cleveland Browns The Browns addressed a pressing need with the selection of Joe Haden at No. 7, and his 40 time aside, Haden is a fluid, physical cover corner who should start immediately and addresses a weakness. Cleveland clearly liked T.J. Ward, but could have gotten him later than No. 37. Montario Hardesty could be a really good back, but hes also been hurt, and again, it didnt seem necessary to trade up for him. My other question is both he and later safety pick Larry Asante are box safeties. But lets not forget to mention the big name and, yes, a great value pick, Colt McCoy at No. 85. Ironic that Cleveland got a guy that late who I thought they could have grabbed at No. 38. Carlton Mitchell can flat-out fly, and could be a late sleeper. Draft grade: C

Indianapolis Colts The fun in this draft is seeing what great player Bill Polian will pull out of the 30 percent of his picks that fall after No. 238 overall. At the top, the Colts did well to land Jerry Hughes, a productive pass-rusher who will only refine his craft learning from two of the best. I thought Pat Angerer was a reach in Round 2 I think he still could have been around even at that No. 94 slot where Indy picked Kevin Thomas. In Thomas, they take a risk because hes simply never been healthy. In general, nothing flashy, just Hughes then depth picks on a roster with little room to add. But Im never going to believe Polian wont prove me wrong on at least one these guys. Draft grade: C

Miami Dolphins This draft for me is really Jared Odrick and the rest. Odrick can be a really good player, another active, disruptive tackle in a draft full of them. Koa Misi could be good, but not right away because hell need to spend a little time transitioning from defensive end to outside linebacker. After that, I thought the Dolphins reached a couple of times. Perhaps Nolan Carroll can recover to become a pretty good player. Draft grade: C-

Denver Broncos I liked the Demaryius Thomas pick, but the three picks (net two picks) for Tim Tebow was a serious leap of faith for a guy whos not as ready to play in the NFL as several other quarterbacks drafted behind him. I respect Denvers conviction, but its sense of draft board value has to be called into serious question. I think anybody can see that. Zane Beadles is a tackle who has to shift positions, J.D. Walton could start at center eventually, and Perrish Cox is a good value late if he stays focused on football, but Denver isnt much better for next year with these additions after falling apart late. We can regrade this one in a few years, and I hope its better then for as much as I think about the quarterback they drafted. Draft grade: C-

Washington Redskins I projected Washington to take Trent Williams with that No. 4 pick, but while I think Williams is likely the most talented offensive lineman in the draft, and should be able to go back to the left side effectively, I felt Okung was the safer pick. He was the guy most likely to take that left tackle position and solidify it from Day 1. Washington didnt pick again until No. 103, and maybe picked up some linebacking and special teams depth. If Williams isnt really good, and early, this could be an empty draft. Draft grade: C-

Minnesota Vikings This draft just didnt impress me. After trading down, the Vikings got a guy in Chris Cook who has the chance to help them, but he also is a guy who rose late, impressing at the Senior Bowl. Can he deliver that kind of performance every week? I think the trade to move up and grab Toby Gerhart was odd, partially because there were some other good backs on the board, and also because while most think Gerhart will be able to catch the ball, it was never really his game. Hes a true pounding running back. Everson Griffen looks like a value, but he is extremely inconsistent. Draft grade: C-

Atlanta Falcons Sean Weatherspoon is a good outside linebacker and has the strength and size to start and be productive in this league, but after that, its a lot of wishful thinking. Corey Peters was a slight reach on my board even at 83 and has a ways to go to improve his skills. Joseph Hawley has a chance to develop, but a pair of guards and no tight end or even a shot at a defensive end surprises me. I dont see an improved football team. Draft grade: C-

Jacksonville Jaguars A disappointing draft. I dont knock the pick of Tyson Alualu at No. 10 because Alualu doesnt have promise. This is a draft its not just about the player. To take a guy you could conceivably get 15 to 25 slots later, youre cheating yourself not just out of sixth- and seventh-round guys, but potentially a late second- or third-rounder. You have to know not just the pick, but the relative value. DAnthony Smith has some promise as a penetrating defensive tackle, but bottom line, the Jags have just one pick I had in my Top 100 players. That was Alualu. Draft grade: D

Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com and CBS Sportsline, breaks the draft down division-by-division.

AFC East

Buffalo Bills: C+ The Bills might be lacking at the other offensive skill positions, but with the addition of running back C.J. Spiller, they boast one of the more talented and explosive backfields in all of the NFL. Spillers great speed and elusiveness make him a big-play threat, but there were other, bigger needs for this club. With their need for a playmaker filled, the Bills focused on adjusting their defensive line personnel. The Bills are moving to a 3-4 scheme and added two prototype players for the scheme in nose guard Torrell Troup and defensive end Alex Carrington. Both could become starters this season. The Bills might be too optimistic in thinking they can get immediate help from fifth- and seventh-round picks Ed Wang and Kyle Calloway at offensive tackle.

Miami Dolphins: C+ By trading for Brandon Marshall, the Dolphins eliminated their primary need, but lost a second-round pick in 2010. They were able to get back into the second round in a deal with the Chargers. The Dolphins were still able to reinforce their defensive line with the selection of the steady and versatile Jared Odrick of Penn State, who some teams felt might go in the top 15. The Dolphins also might have landed one of the gems of the draft in pass rusher Koa Misi in the second round. Massive OL John Jerry is a mauler and fits the typical Bill Parcells prototype. Iowa OLB A.J. Edds could surprise as a third-day find.

New England Patriots: B No one gets better value in the draft than the Patriots. They masterfully move back in the draft, pick up extra picks and then add players who should have been taken earlier. As the Patriots did last April with the selections of defensive backs Patrick Chung and Darius Butler, they traded down in the first round (twice) and found steady cornerback Devin McCourty still on the board. McCourty isnt as flashy in man coverage as Kyle Wilson or Patrick Robinson, but hes a sound overall defender and could be a force on special teams. The Patriots gave QB Tom Brady downfield targets with arguably the best all-around tight end in the 2010 draft in Rob Gronkowski and speedy Ohio WR Taylor Price in the third round. Gronkowski slipped due to questions about the health of his back, but hell provide the team with a quality security blanket in the middle and, unlike most tight ends in todays NFL, is a physical blocker. The Patriots addressed their need for young linebackers with a pair of former Florida Gators...

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Who makes the grade? Rating each team's performance in the 2010 NFL draft

Clifton Brown
Saturday, Apr. 24, 2010 - 9:28 p.m. ET

The 2010 draft is over, and it's time to assign grades:

Seahawks: A+
Pete Carroll returned to the NFL with a bang. Offensive tackle Russell Okung has the potential to be great. The same goes for safety Earl Thomas. Add second-round receiver Golden Tate and the trades for running backs LenDale White and Leon Washington, and it would be hard to imagine the Seahawks having a better three days. Suddenly, the NFC West is a lot more interesting.

Buccaneers: A
Defensive tackles Gerald McCoy and Brian Price could play side-by-side for years, and they also got two playmaking receivers, Arrelious Benn and Mike Williams, to help young QB Josh Freeman. Playing against this team could be far less enjoyable.

Raiders: A
Now for something different: The Raiders had a good draft. They traded for QB Jason Campbell, and his arrival might spell the end in Oakland for JaMarcus Russell. Rolando McClain should be a good middle linebacker, and defensive tackle Lamarr Houston was a good get at No. 44. Maybe better days are not far away.

Ravens: A-
Another gold mine for GM Ozzie Newsome, and he did it without taking anyone in the first round. If Sergio Kindle stays healthy, he might be the best linebacker in this draft. Nose tackle Terrence Cody strengthens them against the run. Two tight ends, Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta, provide insurance in case Todd Heap cannot stay healthy.

Panthers: A
Nobody envisioned Jimmy Clausen falling to No. 48, and he could become a franchise QB. They desperately need a wide receiver to complement Steve Smith, and they drafted two raw but talented options, Brandon LaFell and Armanti Edwards.

49ers: A
Their offensive line has been upgraded. Offensive tackle Anthony Davis is raw but extremely talented. Mike Iupati should be a superb guard and might be athletic enough to play tackle. Although he must prove himself as a pass defender, Taylor Mays hits as hard as coach Mike Singletary did back in the day. The Niners should challenge for the NFC West title in 2010.

Bengals: B+
QB Carson Palmer needed more weapons, and they were they provided. Jermaine Gresham was the draft's best tight end. Jordan Shipley should be a reliable slot receiver. Defensive end Carlos Dunlap has serious potential as a pass rusher if he becomes more disciplined.

Chiefs: B+
Not many safeties are worthy of the No. 5 pick; Eric Berry could be one of them. Getting Dexter McCluster in the second round could be a steal; he is a small but elusive playmaker who can catch it, run it and return it. This is a team on the rise.

Eagles: B+
They had to improve their defense and went all out to do it. They traded up to get pass rusher Brandon Graham, and safety Nate Allen could start right away. They also might have gotten a late-round steal in wide receiver Riley Cooper. Overall, a nice job.

Lions: B+
The Lions look much better today than they did Thursday morning, after getting defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and running back Jahvid Best. The Lions will keep getting high draft picks until they get it right. Maybe, they finally did.

Rams: B
Taking Sam Bradford was the right move at No. 1. Everything is harder without a good quarterback. Offensive tackle Rodger Safford and cornerback Jerome Murphy will improve the depth. Though still a long way from contending, St. Louis took a positive step with this draft.

Browns: B
They had to love QB Colt McCoy dropping to them in the third round. He could become their franchise quarterback, and the Browns don't plan on playing him next season. Running back Montario Hardesty was a good second-round value. Cornerback Joe Haden is the key; to justify being the No. 7 pick, he must develop into a Pro Bowl player.

Steelers: B
Trading Ben Roethlisberger would have been gutsy, but it did not happen. As usual, they found players who project well into their system. Jason Worilds could become their next star linebacker. After trading Santonio Holmes, they used a third-round pick on Emmanuel Sanders, a promising receiver. First-rounder Maurkice Pouncey should be a solid center or guard.

Patriots: B
This was an inside-info draft for Bill Belichick, who took three Florida players coached by buddy Urban Meyer. The Patriots slipped last season, so this was an important draft because they had more holes to fill than usual. Devin McCourty is a cover corner who can help on special teams. Inside linebacker Brandon Spikes could be a second-round steal. The Patriots, however, might regret passing on wide receivers Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas by trading out of the No. 22 spot.

Jets: B-
Nobody has been busier this offseason. They used the draft to get younger at corner (Kyle Wilson) and running back (Joe McKnight), and drafting UMass guard Vladimir Ducasse made it easier to cut veteran guard Alan Faneca.

Saints: B-
Drafting last was a new role for the Saints, but they did well in getting a talented cornerback (Patrick Robinson) and an offensive tackle with upside (Charles Brown). GM Mickey Loomis and coach Sean Payton are on their way to keeping the Saints competitive for the long haul.

Cardinals: B-
After their defense was shredded in the playoffs, the Cardinals did the right thing in taking defensive tackle Dan Williams and linebacker Daryl Washington. This draft should soften the blow of losing Karlos Dansby and Antrel Rolle, but the Cardinals will be challenged to repeat as division champs.

Dolphins: B-
Not a sexy draft, but solid. Their defense is in transition after losing Joey Porter and Jason Taylor, and their first two picks (defensive tackle/end Jared Odrick and linebacker Koa Misi) reflected that. Third-round offensive tackle John Jerry could be a nice pickup. Bill Parcells continues to build the talent base, and they already scored big before the draft in landing Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall and Pro Bowl linebacker Karlos Dansby.

Falcons: B-
Linebacker Sean Weatherspoon has a chance to fill a need. The defensive line could be improved if defensive tackle Corey Peters contributes, along with defensive tackle Peria Jerry, who missed last season with a knee injury. If they become better on defense, particularly against the pass, the Falcons could return to the playoffs.

Texans: B-
Watch out for second-rounder Ben Tate, a running back with size and speed. Drafting a corner like Kareem Jackson makes sense when you face Peyton Manning twice a season. Nothing about this draft should hurt their chances to make the playoffs for the first time.

Packers: B-
Most scouts did not think offensive tackle Bryan Bulaga would fall to No. 25, and the Packers wisely pounced on him because keeping QB Aaron Rodgers upright is a top priority. GM Ted Thompson liked second-round defensive tackle/end Mike Neal more than most scouts.

Colts: C+
Bill Polian has been making shrewd late-round picks for years, so it's hard to question his judgment. Their first three picks were on defense, and pass-rushing end Jerry Hughes should be able to spell Dwight Freeney or Robert Mathis. Linebacker Pat Angerer and cornerback Kevin Thomas should improve the depth.

[img_r]http://www.sportingnews.com/images/188938/article.jpeg[/img_r]Cowboys: C+
Dez Bryant made this draft for them. He has the talent to be a top-10 pick, and he will be surrounded by offensive talent. They still need help at left tackle, but Flozell Adams might come back.

Titans: C+
Their first two picks addressed needs: a pass-rushing end in Derrick Morgan and a reliable wide receiver in Damian Williams. They were thrilled to see the Jaguars take Tyson Alualu instead of Morgan.

Chargers: C+
They were forced to trade way up to get Ryan Mathews, the feature back they sorely needed. If he juices the running game, it'll be well worth it. If not, this was a mediocre, at best, draft.

Broncos: C
There is no way they draft Tim Tebow at No. 25 if sold on Kyle Orton or Brady Quinn. Josh McDaniels needs one of those three to become the franchise QB. Demaryius Thomas was a nice get at No. 22, a receiver with star potential. However, the Broncos had a better roster the day McDaniels became coach than they do now.

Giants: C
Hard to argue with the talent eye of GM Jerry Reese, but taking defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul at No. 15 was a risk. He is a great athlete but has limited experience. Second-round defensive tackle Linval Joseph might have a bigger immediate impact.

Redskins: C
Taking left tackle Trent Williams at No. 4 was the right move because new QB Donovan McNabb needs protection. But with no picks in the second or third round, the Redskins could not fill many holes. Now, we'll see if Albert Haynesworth, who was not traded, can be productive and happy playing nose tackle for coach Mike Shanahan.

Bears: C
Considering their first pick was not until No. 75, they were fortunate to get Major Wright, a safety who might start right away. But they mortgaged much of their future last season to get QB Jay Cutler and still don't know if that decision will work out. If not, perhaps sixth-round QB Dan LeFevour one day will be their starter.

Vikings: C-
They traded out of the first round, and their first two picks, cornerback Chris Cook and running back Toby Gerhart, will have a hard time becoming better players in the NFL than they were in college. Assuming Brett Favre returns, the Vikings still are a Super Bowl contender, but they do not look improved over last season.

Bills: C-
This draft will not help them gain ground in the tough AFC East. C.J. Spiller is an explosive running back, but they still have quarterback and offensive line issues. They have a trio of unproven QBs -- Brian Brohm, Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick -- yet passed on Jimmy Clausen in the second round and Colt McCoy in the third before drafting Levi Brown in Round 7. That's tough to understand.

Jaguars: D
They win the prize for the weirdest draft. Taking defensive tackle Tyson Alualu at No. 10 was a huge gamble, considering the Jaguars have missed the playoffs the past two years and did not have a second-round pick. Acquiring linebacker Kirk Morrison from the Raiders on Saturday helped. But imagine the outrage in Jacksonville if Alualu flops and hometown boy Tebow becomes a star.

Clifton Brown covers the NFL for Sporting News. E-mail him at cliftonbrown@sportingnews.com.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Continued from two posts above:

Minnesota (Day 1: B+; Day 2: B+): Traded out of the first round, then scored with CB Chris Cook at No. 34, RB Toby Gerhart (No. 51) and DE Everson Griffen (No. 100). Nothing special happened on Day 3, but keep an eye on LB Nathan Triplett, a guy the Vikings need to compete. Final Grade: B

New England (Day 1: B-; Day 2: A-): The Patriots did well early on with CB Devin McCourty (No. 27), TE Rob Gronkowski (No. 42) and OLB Jermaine Cunningham (No. 53). Not sure either LB Brandon Spikes (No. 62) or WR Taylor Price (No. 90) will pan out, though. Landed three blows between picks 247 and 250. Final Grade: B

New Orleans (Day 1: C+; Day 2: B+): Took CB Patrick Robinson to close out Round 1, but the Saints best picks came at No. 64 (OT Charles Brown) and No. 158 (C Matt Tennant). Final Grade: C+

New York Giants (Day 1: C-; Day 2: A-): A pretty mixed bag here DE Jason Pierre-Paul didnt make the most sense at No. 15, but DT Linvall Joseph (No. 46) and S Chad Jones (No. 76) could both start. OL Mitch Petrus (No. 147) adds needed depth inside. Final Grade: B-

New York Jets (Day 1: A-; Day 2: B): CB Kyle Wilson in Round 1 will help and OT Vladimir Ducasse might start immediately after the release of Alan Faneca. Running back Joe McKnight (No. 112) and FB John Conner (No. 139) were fine, but not sure either was a huge necessity. Final Grade: B+

Oakland (Day 1: A; Day 2: A): Basically went five-for-five to start: LB Rolando McClain, DT Lamarr Houston, OT Jared Veldheer, OT Bruce Campbell (No. 106!) and WR Jacoby Ford (No. 108). Went all Raiders with their final four picks, taking athletes over need. Final Grade: A-

Philadelphia (Day 1: C-; Day 2: C+): Quantity over quality? Philly wound up making 13 selections, starting with Brandon Graham at No. 13 and ending with S Kurt Coleman at No. 244. In between was a mix of good and bad, but at least a few guys like S Nate Allen (No. 37) should play key roles. Final Grade: B-

Pittsburgh (Day 1: A-; Day 2: B-): There are a lot of solid selections here C Maurkice Pouncey (No. 18) was a much-needed pick in Round 1. Still not loving the Emmanuel Sanders pick (No. 82), but WR Antonio Brown (No. 195) is a sleeper. Also like the pick of RB Jonathan Dwyer (No. 188) Lots of needs filled in. Final Grade: B

San Diego (Day 1: B; Day 2: B): Big leap up for RB Ryan Mathews (No. 12) in Round 1 and a steady pick of LB Donald Butler (No. 79). Big score with DT Cam Thomas (No. 146). QB Jonathan Crompton (No. 168) will get time to sit and develop. Final Grade: B+

San Francisco (Day 1: A; Day 2: A): Not sure that anything happened on Day 3 to change the Niners grade. RB Anthony Dixon (No. 173) and TE Nate Byham (No. 182) should just add to the haul that included Anthony Davis (No. 11), Mike Iupati (No. 17) and Taylor Mays (No. 49). Final Grade: A

Seattle (Day 1: A+; Day 2: A): Russell Okung and Earl Thomas in the first round got Seattle off to a spectacular start. You have to take into account trades for RBs LenDale White and Leon Washington, which could remake the Seahawks offense. Seattles last few picks were only average. Final Grade: A-

St. Louis (Day 1: A-; Day 2: B+): Sam Bradford started it, but the Rams had a very good start, including WR Mardy Gilyard at No. 99. There were a few average selections after that until the Rams stole DE George Selvie at No. 226. Final Grade: B+

Tampa Bay (Day 1: A-; Day 2: C): Top marks for Gerald McCoy, but came back down to earth with DT Brian Price (No. 35), WR Arrelious Benn (No. 39) and CB Myron Lewis (No. 67). OLB Dekoda Watson (No. 217) was a steal it almost offset the pick of WR Mike Williams (No. 101). Almost. Final Grade: B

Tennessee (Day 1: B; Day 2: A+): DE Derrick Morgan made for a nice fit at No. 16, then Tennessee stole WR Damian Williams (No. 77) and LB Rennie Curran (No. 97). Day 3 was a mixed bag safeties Robert Johnson (No. 148) and Myron Rolle (No. 207) should help the secondary, but the QB Rusty Smith pick (No. 176) was hard to figure. Final Grade: B+

Washington (Day 1: B+; Day 2: Inc.): Only had OT Trent Williams to show for the first two days, but he was a good selection at No. 4. The last few rounds were unsteady LB Riley Cooper was not great at No. 103, but OT Selvish Capers made for a perfect pick at No. 231. Final Grade: B

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (4h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (4h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (20h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (21h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
21m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.