Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Packers Select Someone Youve Never Heard of In Second Round 

Your newest Packer.

With names like Golden Tate, Charles Brown and Ricky Sapp, as well as several solid cornerbacks on the board when the Green Bay Packers selected with the No. 56 overall pick, the team selected defensive tackle Mike Neal from Purdue.

Thats right, Mike Neal from Purdue a defensive tackle.

So what youre telling me is the Packers chose a guy Ive never heard of who plays a position they have no need for in the second round?

Yup, thats exactly what Im telling you because lets face facts Packers GM Ted Thompson is smarter than you, me and every other single person in the entire world. You need look no further than him drafting Justin Harrell in the first round to figure that out.

So, while the Packers addressed their need for a tackle with the first-round selection of Bryan Bulaga, they decided to completely ignore their needs at outside linebacker, cornerback and safety and go with a defensive lineman, which is one of the strongest positions on the team, in the second round.

A brilliant strategy if I have ever seen one. The old misdirection. The Packers really stuck it to rest of the NFL today.

Booyah!

OK, OK, the pick makes some sense if Neal is the real deal, but I really had to dig to figure it out.

First, Neal looks like hell be a defensive end in the Packers 3-4. Hes 6-3, 294, which is too small for a 3-4 defensive tackle. Hes closer in size to, say, current Packers starter at defensive end, Cullen Jenkins, who is 6-2, 305.

The Packers, of course, already have two solid starters at the defensive end position. In addition to Jenkins, the Packers have Johnny Jolly.

However, Jenkins contract expires after the 2010 season and Jolly is a big question mark.

First, Jolly was a restricted free agent this offseason. He is yet to sign his tender, but the Packers thought enough of him to tender him at the first-round level. Its possible the Packers will let Jolly play on that one-year agreement, which would be idiotic in light of Jenkins contract expiring after the season, but stranger things have happened like today, in the second round of the draft, when Ted Thompson selected Mike Neal.

Second, Jolly is going to trial for possession of 200 grams of codeine on May 21. If convicted, Jolly faces up to 20 years in prison. While 20 years is an unlikely sentence for a first-time offender, Jolly is likely to be suspended under the NFLs personal conduct policy for being a moron, if nothing else.

So, there you have it. Mike Neal was chose, well just in case.

I wont say Neal was a bad pick because I know zero about him, although CBS Sports did give him a fifth-round grade. So, at the very least, he was a huge reach and with the Packers potentially two or three players away from being great, a reach that makes absolutely no fucking sense.

There, I said it. And I have something else to say.

Fuck you, Ted Thompson, you stupid fucking cunt!

Alright, I feel better now.

So, anyway, heres NFL.coms analysis on Neal.

Strengths
Neal has really active hands that never stop working. He exhibits notable leadership qualities. Has the instincts necessary to diagnose and find the football. Does a good job pushing the pocket with his power rush. Has good lateral agility. Plays with a relentless motor.

Weaknesses
Neal only has average range and wont consistently track down plays to the outside. Has a narrow base and isnt always capable on anchoring and holding up at the point of attack. As a three technique, needs to expand and broaden his pass rush package.

UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Who wrote that and did you add that one sentence just to see if anyone read the whole thing?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Packers_Finland
14 years ago
We needed a 3-4 DE. No depth behind Jolly and Jenkins, and as you said, they're avaivability now (Jolly) and beyond (expiring contracts) are in question.
This is a placeholder
PackerTraxx
14 years ago
Never expected this pick, but I believe it is a good one if it was the BPA. We have stonger needs but we can use help here too. I like players with a big non-stop motor.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Pack93z
14 years ago
Well think of it this way.. Capers employed many sets in his pass defense that places a 3 or 4 man rush at times.. and even a package with only two.

A natural guess is that we will see more of those sets in 2010 and beyond.

So.. improving the rotation and adding more natural pass rushers from the defensive line becomes axiomatic.

Not to mention it will only help the run defense and the pressure in blitzing situations as well.

Now.. throw in Jolly's issues and long term future impacts into the fray.. this becomes even a better pick overall..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Stevetarded
14 years ago
Obviously the coaches and Ted Thompson thought that the pass rush was lacking from the interior last year moreso than from the Linebacker position. I don't know that I can disagree as all 3 lineman were strong vs the run but pretty much the only pressure we got from the interior consistently last year was from Jenkins and he cannot be in on every play.
blank
14 years ago
This 5th round prospect talk is crap.

continues to be a late second or early third round prospect.

He probably will go in the 3rd round, but some smart GM may take him in the 2nd as a 3-4 guy. He deserves to be a 2nd round prospect, that 3rd tier interior rusher after Suh/McCoy and Odrick/Price.

i.e. you can't just look at one scouting report.

From what I've read, he's a physical freak who had good production in college. I am completely ignoring the "consistency/motor" question mark because he practically never came out of games.

I'm actually excited to see what he can do. I think Thompson and co. had a good combination of "safe picks" and risky high-reward picks, and this falls into the second category, along with Quarless and Starks.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
14 years ago
I hate how everyone keeps saying we needed a CB and OLB in this draft. While I see the need at CB we have Blackmon, Harris and Lee coming off of IR with Bush, Woodson, Bell, Underwood and Williams already on the roster. 8 CB's is pretty good competition for TC, although another young CB wouldn't have hurt.

OLB is more pressing. The Packers seemed to think that with a better D-Line they could improve both the D-Line and Linebacker positions because of how they affect each other on the field.
zombieslayer
14 years ago

I hate how everyone keeps saying we needed a CB and OLB in this draft.

"djcubez" wrote:

Why? Those are genuine needs.

But so was OT, S, and DL. With Thompson retired, we can use an OLB right now and you can never have too many CBs.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
digsthepack
14 years ago
Teams win games in the trenches...this helps solidify a spot that could be a glaring weakness in the next year depending upon Jenkins' and Jolly's ability to be signed on good terms.

Look...how many times last year did the QB have 5 - 8 seconds to scramble and find WRs? A lot...as evidenced in both Queens games, versus the Steelers and Arizona in the playoffs...althoug AZ did a lot with quick hits as well. My point is, given that amount of time, no secondary will hold up...I don't who you have back there. With this pick, the intent appears to shorten the time QBs have to find WRs....and to punish them a bit for looking too long.

I like the pick.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4h) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (4h) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (4h) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (9h) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (15h) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-May / Around The NFL / bboystyle

27-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.