Arrigo
  • Arrigo
  • Registered Topic Starter
14 years ago
Who I Think & Want The Packers Will Draft
(Joe Arrigo)

As the NFL draft approaches everyone has their own thoughts on who Packers GM Ted Thompson will draft, myself included.

I have done 21 mock drafts and I tried to "think like Thompson" and not use my own feelings when it comes to the pick. But in this blog I will reveal who I want the Packers to draft with their first pick in the 2010 draft.

As I look at the Packers roster I know all about the offensive tackle need, I know about the corner back need, I also know about the outside linebacker need and the return man need. But I think the strong safety need is just as important.

When I think of a strong safety I think of a punishing hitter that can strike the fear of god into offensive players coming across the middle. Is there such a guy in this draft and will he be available when the Packers are up? Yes, and he should be.

That person is Taylor Mays from USC. I know, I can already hear it..."Joe, you are such a homer!" You know what, I am, so what! I think Mays has the type of ability to change a defense if he used the right way and I think Dom Capers and Darren Perry will use his strengths with-in the confines of the Packers defense. I also think Perry will help transform him into a better coverage guy then people think.

There are other safeties that I like a lot and will still be on the board when the Packers pick like, Morgan Burnett from Georgia Tech and Chad Scott of LSU to name a few, but Mays is something special to me.

His size, speed combo are off the charts. He is a physical freak, we all know this. But this kids attitude and work ethic set him apart from some of the other safeties, no, some of the other players in this draft class. He will not let anyone out work him and will continue to try and prove draft pundits wrong about his coverage skills. He will come into the NFL with a chip on his shoulder, and that is not a good thing for the 31 other teams in the NFL.

If they did draft Mays it would push Atari Bigby and make him put up or shut up. Yeah he can be a big hitter, but he has also been hurt almost as much as he has been on the field. With Charles Woodson, Nick Collins, Al Harris, Tramon Williams, Bigby, Mays, Underwood, Martin, Blackmon and another rookie that we all assume the Packers will draft at some point this weekend the Packers will have a very good and deep secondary.

I know the Packers need top find Chad Clifton's heir apparent. But I think that if the Packers draft a Charles Brown or Bruce Campbell at pick #23, it would be a reach. Unless Kyle Wilson falls, I would wait to draft the corner. I think you can get a good corner in the 2nd or 3rd round. Plus, any offensive tackle taken in round 1 will be "red shirted". This team is on the cusp of a title run, I feel that they need to add a difference maker or a player that will play now rather then a player that will have to wait to get on the field.

But any way that's who is I WANT the Packers to draft, Taylor Mays. Who will they draft? I have NO CLUE. I think Ted Thompson wants to add a difference maker on either side of the ball.

I will say this, I wouldn't be upset if they drafted C.J. Spiller, Jahvid Best, Dez Bryant or Kyle Wilson. Not in the least bit would I be upset. I trust Ted Thompson's drafting ability.

Who ever the Packers pick will have my full support as long as they are on the Packers. The will be welcomed into the Packer family with open arms. But If I were calling the shots on draft day you would hear Roger Goodell say "with the 23rd pick in round 1 of the NFL draft, the Green Bay Packers select, Taylor Mays, Safety, USC." [url=index.php?name=Pro_News&aid=138]full article[/url].

Dictionary is the only place that success comes before work.
Hard work is the price we must pay for success.
I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price
Pack93z
14 years ago
Here is the problem that has drawn me away from Mock Drafts.. unless you are picking in the top 5 or so.. you really have little clue how the draft will play out.. it is just way to fluid to try an project past the top 5 maybe in some drafts 10.

I used to enjoy it.. but not as much now.. the mocking part.

I instead spend my time researching the top 10 to 20.. at each position except QB.. part because the systems in college and the pros are so different it makes little sense to try an project them into the pros.. you breakdown their mechanics and what you can of their processing.. after that.. it truly is a crap shoot.

Now.. on draft day.. picks come up.. I sit there and try to guess their pick as it comes up.. at least through the 3rd.. so call it a instant mock.. ;)

The draft is intriguing because it puts the GM on the spot for the only visible time of the year.. and the dynamics of the decisions and impact on the clubs is the draw for me.. verses.. trying to project a mock.

With that said.. I will project my guesses without someone sliding to the Packers.. IE a top 10 talent.

Hughes - OLB/DE TCU
Saffold - T Indiana. (Saffold over Brown if it comes to that.. Brown is a "momma's boy" from reports and may struggle mighty with the transition to the pros.. call it a guess. I want no soft emotional wreck anchoring the line. 😉 )
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
digsthepack
14 years ago
At safety, I like Chad Jones from LSU and Allen out of S. Florida in the 2nd or 3rd. Tempted by May's measureables, but Jamal Reynolds also had ridiculous measureables...hell, the list of former players with high measureables is quite long. Plus, Ted likes big time players, from big time schools, with big time production....May's lacks the latter.

Jahvid Best is a tempting player, but his injuries, especially the recurrent concussions, scare the shit outta me. If he is that hurt in college, imagine the damage dealing with full-grown men.

My pick in Round 1 is Hughes, if available. But, Eric Norwood out of E. Carolina is a very tempting player a little later in the draft.

Hell, I don't know...a lot of players I like. My brain hurts!
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
Rockmolder
14 years ago
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
14 years ago
Rock's Hughes-love almost rivals my LT-love.
This is a placeholder
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

UserPostedImage

"Rockmolder" wrote:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
14 years ago

At safety, I like Chad Jones from LSU and Allen out of S. Florida in the 2nd or 3rd. Tempted by May's measureables, but Jamal Reynolds also had ridiculous measureables...hell, the list of former players with high measureables is quite long. Plus, Ted likes big time players, from big time schools, with big time production....May's lacks the latter.

Jahvid Best is a tempting player, but his injuries, especially the recurrent concussions, scare the shit outta me. If he is that hurt in college, imagine the damage dealing with full-grown men.

My pick in Round 1 is Hughes, if available. But, Eric Norwood out of E. Carolina is a very tempting player a little later in the draft.

Hell, I don't know...a lot of players I like. My brain hurts!

"digsthepack" wrote:

In Best's defense, the BAD concussion he got was on a truly freakish play (2 guys hitting him and propelling him even higher and out of control) and had nothing to do with the size of players he was up against:

Best in the 1st and Chad Jones in the 2nd and I'd be a happy happy man. I want an OLB, but at the same time I'm excited to see how Brad Jones develops in year 2.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
14 years ago

Here is the problem that has drawn me away from Mock Drafts.. unless you are picking in the top 5 or so.. you really have little clue how the draft will play out.)

"pack93z" wrote:

TheKanataThrilla
14 years ago
I would be pretty happy with a Mays pick @ 23. I think in a QB division it makes sense to have a Mays on your D although I do question whether waiting for somebody like Chad Jones later gives you the Safety, but at a better price. I think the sexier option is to move up and try and get Berry, but I have serious doubts Ted would ever take such a gamble.

Staying at 23 and taking Kyle Wilson or Mike Iupati seem like where we are heading in my mind.

It is nice to think we are still a playoff calibre team without the draft. I hope we can get to the point where we are always in that mindset to draft for depth; but with the way of the league that is highly unlikely.
14 years ago

UserPostedImage

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

:sign5: you hot-linking prick!

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (6h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (6h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (6h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (6h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (6h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (13h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (13h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.