IronMan
  • IronMan
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Wow.  

Updated at 5:15 with details from police

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns defensive tackle Shaun Rogers was just arrested at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport.

Police say he had a loaded gun and was trying to board a plane with it.

The Browns released the following statement from President Mike Holmgren:

"We are aware of what transpired with Shaun Rogers. We will continue to gather additional information, and until the legal process has taken its course, we will reserve any further comment."

According to the Cleveland Police, Rogers was arrested at 12:15 p.m. while having his baggage inspected on Concourse C. A loaded 45 caliber handgun was found in his carry-on luggage and he was placed under arrest without incident.

No charges have been filed. It is a third-degree felony.

Rogers recorded 4.5 sacks and 76 tackles last season.

Formo
14 years ago
Whoops. That sucks. You'd think he'd know better.. But since I don't know the details, I'm not going to rip on the guy.

Two incidents happened to me at the airport, post-9-11. First was a trip my uncle and I were making to Phoenix, AZ. There was a Swiss-Army knife and a crescent wrench in the bottom of my bag. Both were underneath the bottom liner, I had NO clue they were in there. But the airport security didn't like that I had them in there. I told them they could throw both away, as I had NO clue they were there, and obviously since I haven't used either one of them in over 6 months that I didn't need them. Finally, they let me go. Same thing happened to my step-father on our way to Mexico. He had his pocket knife in his pocket (never left home without a knife), completely spaced about the security until they had a fit about it. We convinced him to let them take it by telling him we'd get him a new one when we got back from Mexico.

It's doubtful, but it's very possible that he forgot about the gun and/or some other weird reason.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
President Holmgren uses different wording than Coach Holmgren.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
  • IronMan
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

It's doubtful, but it's very possible that he forgot about the gun and/or some other weird reason.

"Formo" wrote:

So if thats the case, he had a loaded gun, and he forgot that it was in his bag. His CARRY ON BAG FOR FUCK'S SAKE. How in the hell does someone have a loaded gun and not know where it is at all times? Holy shit thats stupid.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Well, not that I'm siding with Rogers -- who seems a pinhead of the first order ...

but if you believe that you need to conceal-carry, why would you ever carry a non-loaded gun in a bag?

But he is still a pinhead. I mean, this is not a first time traveller here. It's been a long time -- like Rogers' entire lifetime -- that people have been unable to carry guns on airplanes.

The banning of Swiss army knives and the like -- that's relatively new, a consequence of our post-9/11 paranoia. And unlike a loaded .45, there's many many reasons people might want to carry a swiss army knife without burying it in one's checked luggage. To my mind a TSA employee that goes nutso about a Swiss army knife that the passenger is willing to give up is (a) on a power trip, (b) humorless, (c) a moronic pinhead with no sense of proportion, or some combination of the three.

But taking a loaded gun on....sorry, that's uber-pinheadedness. I can't believe I'm doing this, but on this one I'd side with the TSA person. Because if I discover this really big guy is packing a loaded weapon, I"m thinking, "he's either borderline crazy or the world's stupidest terrorist," neither of whom should be armed in a closed space.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
dfosterf
14 years ago
He might have forgot he had a loaded pistol, but I'm willing to bet he remembers April fool's day from now on.
doddpower
14 years ago
A .45 cal is no joke. Most aren't even appropriate for concealed carry due to their large size. I can't imagine how one could ever forget that was in his or her carry on bag. I ALWAYS know where my guns are and I certainly always thoroughly check my luggage before I start packing.

Wow.
Formo
14 years ago

"IronMan" wrote:

So if thats the case, he had a loaded gun, and he forgot that it was in his bag. His CARRY ON BAG FOR FUCK'S SAKE. How in the hell does someone have a loaded gun and not know where it is at all times? Holy shit thats stupid.

"Formo" wrote:

What Wade said.. and it's not that far out of the realm of possibilities. That was my point. People can be forgetful at times, even with important details.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

"Formo" wrote:

"IronMan" wrote:

What Wade said.. and it's not that far out of the realm of possibilities. That was my point. People can be forgetful at times, even with important details.

"Formo" wrote:

Hmmm... you sit in most security lines for 10 to 15 minutes at least prior to getting up to the table.. all the while they have signs plastered everywhere about what can and cannot be taken aboard.

Then you get to table, and they specifically request that you pull out certain items.. someplace in this process, a normal human will be playing a inventory listing of what is in the carry on bag in their mind..

You would have to believe someplace in that process the thought that you are carrying a gun in the bag is going to pop into your head.

The other question that begs to be asked.. if he forgot that he had it in there, what possible good would it do for him to have it in there in the first place.. if he got into a situation of need for the weapon.. his ass won't know where it was in the first place.

Either it was entitlement nonsense or extreme laziness not to have his carry on squared away before getting to the airport. You probably have had the flight scheduled for days.. planing your luggage would be a logical step in the process.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Formo
14 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

"Formo" wrote:

"IronMan" wrote:

Hmmm... you sit in most security lines for 10 to 15 minutes at least prior to getting up to the table.. all the while they have signs plaster everywhere about what can and cannot be taken aboard.

Then you get to table, and they specifically request that you pull out certain items.. someplace in this process, a normal human will be playing a inventory listing of what is in the carry on bag in their mind..

You would have to believe someplace in that process the thought that you are carrying a gun in the bag is going to pop into your head.

The other question that begs to be asked.. if he forgot that he had it in there, what possible good would it do for him to have it in there in the first place.. if he got into a situation of need for the weapon.. his ass won't know where it was in the first place.

Either it was entitlement nonsense or extreme laziness not to have his carry on squared away before getting to the airport. You probably have had the flight scheduled for days.. planing your luggage would be a logical step in the process.

"Formo" wrote:

Believe it or not, there are people out there that don't prepare for a trip like you do.

Me? I tend to throw shit in a bag. Not saying this is or isn't the case, but it is, again.. Plausible.

I know it's hard for many motivatedly organized people to understand, but not everyone thinks like them. Not everyone has their collective shit filed in their heads like them.

There's also a chance he didn't even pack his own bag.

There are so many variables that could be in play.. I'm not even remotely concerned about what he was doing with his gun. I didn't read any article, the only thing I personally wonder is if the gun was registered to him. If so, then IMO, this is a non-story.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.