TheEngineer
14 years ago
My question is, would the vote have gotten such support if it was extended to include the regular season?
blank
Formo
14 years ago
I like the rule. Now, the article that Non posted brings up a great point.. but at least they got the foot in the door so to speak with the OT change. With the offensive favored league the NFL has become, I'm very happy to see a more 'fair' OT being implemented. It's just a year too late.. lol

Woah that's the stupidest rule change I've seen. Both teams will have possesion of the ball in OT unless the team that wins the toss gets a TD which will eventully nulify everything and they will win LMAO WOW NICE ONE.

"shield4life" wrote:

Question.. What would qualify to you as a non-stupid rule? Were you in the camp of changing the rules or what? I ask because I'm confused at your post.. I'm not sure where you stand.

My question is, would the vote have gotten such support if it was extended to include the regular season?

"TheEngineer" wrote:

Great question. And one I'd like to know the answer to..
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
flep
14 years ago
I'm OK with the new ruling.

It will mean the first team on offense will try to get a TD when deep in the opponents red zone instead of kicking the easy 3 points on first down.
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 32 years
UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

I'm OK with the new ruling.

It will mean the first team on offense will try to get a TD when deep in the opponents red zone instead of kicking the easy 3 points on first down.

"flep" wrote:

I don't think so, because if it's going into overtime, that usually means you were able to stop the other team, unless it was a shoot out. It depends on which way it goes. I think most teams will take the three points and hope to stop the other team.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

Ins and outs of the new overtime rule
Posted by Mike Florio on March 23, 2010 9:46 PM ET
The NFL first utilized overtime in 1958, when the Colts beat the Giants in the game that history points to as the moment pro football became a major American sport. More than a quarter-century later, the NFL adopted sudden-death overtime for the regular season, dramatically expanding its use.

Now, 36 years after that, the NFL has deactivated the land mine that could have marred a Super Bowl, nearly two months to the day after it undermined the NFC title game by sending the Saints to the championship game after a field goal to cap the first drive of overtime.

For those of you who haven't been following the events that culminated in today's vote, here's a list of questions and answers that should tell you everything you need to know, and then some.

And, yes, we agree with the move. It's not perfect, and it's not the rule we would have adopted. But it's better.

Q: Why did the league make the change?

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell constantly talks about the importance of striving for ways to improve the game. And the league did just that with a rule that prevents a team from winning a postseason game by receiving the kickoff to start overtime, driving 30 yards or so, and sending the ball through the goal posts for a three-point victory.

"It wasn't producing the 'fairest result,' if you will, based on the effect of field goal accuracy, field goal distance and the drives chart," Competition Committee co-chair Rich McKay said during a Tuesday press conference.

The perception of unfairness came from the increase in the amount of first-drive field goals since 1994, when the kickoff point was moved from the 35 to the 30. Though in the past the league considered simply moving the kickoff from the 30 back to the 35, the Competition Committee focused on what came to be known as "modified sudden death."

Q. What is the new rule?

It's simple. The team that receives the kickoff to start overtime in a playoff game can no longer win by kicking a field goal on the first drive. If the team that receives the kickoff to start overtime scores a field goal, the team that kicked off gets a possession, and can match with a field goal (converting the game to sudden death), beat the field goal with a touchdown (and win), or fail to score at all (and lose).

That sums it all up. But we realize that some of you will prefer to have the various permutations crammed into your mouths via a spoon.

So here we go. We hope you don't mind a spork.

Q. What happens if the team that receives the opening kickoff scores a field goal?

The game continues, and the team that kicked off gets a chance to match or beat the three points the other team scored.

Q. What happens if the team that receives the opening kickoff scores a touchdown?

Game over. The team that received the ball to start overtime wins.

Q. Isn't that unfair, too?

Yes and no. Though we'd prefer that both teams be guaranteed a possession regardless of whether the team that receives the opening kickoff scores a touchdown or a field goal, the rule that the NFL adopted allows the team that kicked off to defend the end zone instead of the goal posts.

Q. What happens if the team that receives the opening kickoff punts?

The game essentially converts to sudden death. The next team to score wins the game.

Q. What happens if the team that receives the opening kickoff turns the ball over?

The game essentially converts to sudden death. The next team to score wins the game.

Also, if the turnover is returned for a touchdown on the same play, the game ends at that moment.

Most importantly, if the defense fumbles the ball after forcing the turnover and the team that received the opening kickoff recovers, the game ends on the first score, even if it's a field goal.

Q. What if the teams that receives the opening kickoff is tackled in the end zone?

The other team scores two points, and the game ends.

Q. What happens if the team that kicks off to start overtime recovers an onside kick?

The game converts to sudden death.

Q. What happens if the team that received the kickoff scores a field goal and recovers an onside kick?

The game ends; the team that scored the field goal wins.

Q. What happens if the team that received the kickoff scores a field goal and stops the other team from scoring?

Game ends. The ream that scored the field goal on the opening drive wins.

Q. What happens if, after the team that receives the kickoff scores a field goal, the other team scores a field goal?

The game converts to sudden death, and the team that received the kickoff to start overtime gets the next kickoff. The next score wins.

Q. What happens if, after the team that receives the kickoff scores a field goal, the other team scores a touchdown?

Game ends. The team that scored the touchdown wins.

So that's it. Everything you could want to know about the new overtime rules. (Actually, there's one more scenario we haven't presented here, involving the possibility of a nine-point final margin of victory. We're tracking down the answer and we'll follow up soon.)

"PFtalk" wrote:

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
flep
14 years ago
What I meant to say was if its first and goal from the 3, in the past a team would have automatically kicked the fg to win the game.

Now they would know the other team would get a chance to tie the game or even win on the next possession.

I would at least try to score a TD in 3 attempts to finish the game.
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 32 years
UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

What I meant to say was if its first and goal from the 3, in the past a team would have automatically kicked the fg to win the game.

Now they would know the other team would get a chance to tie the game or even win on the next possession.

"flep" wrote:

I'm saying, they'll still take the three points because if they stop the defense, they win.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I'm saying, they'll still take the three points because if they stop the defense, they win.

"flep" wrote:

Why wouldn't they run the 3 downs to try and score a TD and eliminate the possession from the other team. No Risk other than turning it over.

If they kick a field goal and the other team scores a TD... return, fluke play or otherwise.. you lose. It will promote more decisions from a head coach and more second guesses on Monday. Hence why the coaches are against it.. a coin flip is a convenient excuse for the coach to hide behind a bit.

Now on 4th.. I agree.. they will take the 3 more times than not.. however... maybe not.

If you are say inside the 10.. and on fourth you don't make it.. your defense can still save you and you should have solid field position.

I think it will take the FG effectively out of the equation on all other downs but fourth at the beginning of overtime.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
The first objective is always to score a TD, thought that was common knowledge here.

Dealing with rule changes, one should always be specific, which I was not.

I am saying, teams will OBVIOUSLY try to score a TD to win the game, but will not forgo three points in favor of the TD to win the game.

It'll give more opportunities for the defense to create a turnover, yes. As was said, there won't be many teams simply attempting a FG on First and 10 at the 20 yard line in hopes their defense stops them. Of course they will try to punch it in.

My main point - 4th and 5 - between 20 and 35 yard line - FG
4th and 5 - in redzone - I am thinking a lot of fades or underneath passing routes.

It's going to add an element to the game, I just don't care for it, yet. Then again, I'm in the same boat as McNabb with Overtime.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

The first objective is always to score a TD, thought that was common knowledge here.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

In most aspects it is... however common practice in OT once in a high percentage range was to kick the field goal with downs remaining in case some went wrong or to avoid turnover. I think we will see a decrease in that behavior.

I guess I read your argument differently.. thanks for coloring a picture. ;)

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (20h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (22h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.