IronMan
  • IronMan
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Jersey Al.  

It would be difficult to dispute that Mason Crosby had a bad year kicking field goals for the Green Bay Packers. Among kickers with at least 15 attempts, his 75% average field goal percentage (FG%) was better than only 6 other kickers in the NFL. Towards the end of the season, Crosby collected votes of confidence from Packers coaches like Ted Thompson collects wide receivers (more than should be necessary).

Despite his less than eventful 2009, Crosby somehow triggered incentives in his contract that has doubled his salary for 2010, from $500K to 1M. As Don King loves to say, God Bless America! And from Masons perspective, God Bless his agent. What a great contract he negotiated. His client can have a bad year and still manage to earn a 100% raise.

I can only sit and wonder what those incentives were? Did he have to

Finish higher than 30th in the league?
Hit 90% of his kicks into the practice net on the sideline?
Hit 95% of the footballs he swung his leg at?
Kick the ball with his right leg 95% of the time?
Never put his pants on backwards?

In all seriousness, when compared to the rest of the kickers in the league, Crosby is in the lower 20th percentile. In his 3 years with the Packers, he has never made more than 79.5% of his field goals. For a quick comparison, Ryan Longwell averaged 80%, 88%, 83% and 87% in his first four years with the Packers.

Ive always considered 80% to be the lowest field goal percentage an NFL team should tolerate. in my book, a FG% of less than 80% is like a batting average below .250 in baseball. Anyone can have a bad year, but 3 years in a row makes a bad career.

And yet, Crosby has his defenders. Mason Crosby will be fine, I hear over and over. He just has to work on the mental side, just has to straighten out the right hashmark issue, just needs a better holder, etc. My question for those people is, what evidence do you have that Mason Crosby is capable of being bettter than he has been? When has he shown that he can be an 85% kicker? NEVER, is the answer.

In the last three years, heres how many NFL kickers had a FG% of 85% or higher:

2007 16
2008 17
2009 11

Looking back at Crosbys career as a place kicker, starting with his senior year in High School, here are Crosbys FG%s:.

HSY4 63.6%
CY1 77.8%
CY2 82.6%
CY3 75.0%
CY4 67.9%
NFLY1 79.5%
NFLY2 79.4%
NFLY3 75.0%

Sophomore year in college was the only time Crosby has EVER broken 80%. So tell me, Crosby defenders, what makes you think he is just an adjustment away from even being a good NFL kicker?

Even before his poor 2009, I questioned why there was no competition brought in diring the 2009 training camp to push Crosby. As I wrote during the first week of camp, I feel Crosby is being given an undeserved pass and there should be another kicker in camp to push him, if nothing else. Yes, a little competition can be a great motivator. Instead, the Packers just handed the job to a kicker that finished in the bottom 20% of NFL kickers his first two seasons.

So what will happen in 2010? While there are a few unrestricted free agent kickers that would be an improvement over Crosby (Shayne Graham and Jay Feely, for example), they will both command higher salarys than even Crosbys 2010 overpaid $1M contract will provide. That, of course, makes it extremely unlikely that Ted Thompson will be calling their agents anytime soon.

Looking at the NFL draft, its not a strong year for placekickers. There arent any kickers that would warrant using anything other than a late 6th or 7th round pick. With Ted Thompson having used a 6th round pick just 3 years ago to select Crosby, I think its unlikely Ted Thompson would use another pick so soon on a kicker.

So, it appears a street free agent or an undrafted placekicker after the upcoming draft would be the most likely method Ted Thompson uses to bring in some competition for Crosby. But will he even do that?

When I called for some kicking competition for Crosby last year, some readers pointed out that most teams dont want to waste one of those 83 valuable training camp roster spots on a second kicker. Fair enough I say, but do the Packers really need to bring 11 wide receivers to camp like they did last year? Id would opt to go with 10 and bring someone in to give Crosby something to worry about. Maybe hell have the motivation to find that magic adjustment you Crosby defenders are waiting for. Imagine what hell make in incentives then

Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I love how no one ever brings up the fact that not only was he the highest scorer in the NFL his rookie year, he was first rookie ever to lead the NFL in scoring. All they ever talk about is his completion percentage.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Heck, we gave 7 million to Chad Clifton. *That's* rewarding mediocrity.

A million to a guy who scores 100 points a year pales by comparison.

(Oh, and I'm *not* criticizing the spending on Clifton. 7 million, alas, is the going price for a mediocre LT.)
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
IronMan
  • IronMan
14 years ago

I love how no one ever brings up the fact that not only was he the highest scorer in the NFL his rookie year, he was first rookie ever to lead the NFL in scoring. All they ever talk about is his completion percentage.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

So if a qb leads the league in INTs, its ok, as long as he has the most yards?
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
If your right fielder lead the league in HRs, RBIs, and OBP, but his batting average was in the toilet, would you say he'd had a bad year? No, you'd just say he was more of a slugger than a base hitter. Now I myself prefer to see a consistent base hitter over a guy who's constantly swinging for the fences, but that's a stylistic preference and should be acknowledged as such.

So it is with Mason Crosby. He consistently is asked to hit more plus-50-yard field goals than almost any other kicker in the league. That's going to ding his percentages. Until this year, he was excellent from inside the 33s.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not defending Crosby. I just wish these discussions were a little more balanced and including the whole picture.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago
Jersey Al did terribly poor research in whining about Crosby doubling his salary; he doesn't understand the NFL contract structure for rookies.

Crosby signed a 4 year deal after he was drafted. That is when the CBA mandated a player be eligible for unrestricted free agency after three years of service.

In exchange for giving up an year of unrestricted free agency, many rookie are "rewarded" by having their salaries double in the fourth year of their rookie contracts.

SO, when Crosby's pay doubled, he was not rewarded for his inconsistent play. He was, rather, rewarded for giving up the ability to be an UFA after three years.

Players such as James Jones, who you could argue is the 5th WR on this team, has also been "rewarded" by having his salary double to about 1.01 million. It's not about his production, but rather the fact that he decided to give up one year of his UFA status to sign a four year deal with the team.

It's pretty standard practice in the NFL.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago
^ That little rant aside, Jersey Al's stats are surprising...

They, quite frankly, jump out at you to paint a picture of a mediocre kicker, and that too on his best day.

Stats, of course, can be skewed (like NSD pointed out, depending on the distance of the kicks, etc.)...

But when Crosby's struggles, for example from the right hash mark, continue to persist.... they should be more worrying. Three years in, and either coaches are totally incompetent for being unable to solve his problem, or that his problems remained unsolved is a deeper issue.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

"IronMan" wrote:

The situations aren't analogous. A better question would be, if a QB leads the league in incompletions (or has the lowest completion percentage) but also leads the league in TD passes, is it okay? That's an interesting question, one for which I am not sure I have an answer.

Statistically speaking, it's far more important for a QB not to throw INTs than for a QB to throw TDs.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Going with my overall feeling of Crosby, nothing specific. I wouldn't mind it if we had a kicker not named Mason Crosby this upcoming season.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
  • IronMan
14 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

The situations aren't analogous. A better question would be, if a QB leads the league in incompletions (or has the lowest completion percentage) but also leads the league in TD passes, is it okay? That's an interesting question, one for which I am not sure I have an answer.

Statistically speaking, it's far more important for a QB not to throw INTs than for a QB to throw TDs.

"IronMan" wrote:

Mason led the league in scoring in 2007, as a result of getting a lot of opportunities. He was only 9-14 from 40-49 that year. Thats terrible. For his career, he is 18-27, which is also below average.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (21h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (21h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.