Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

DON'T POINT THE FINGER AT RODGERS 

[img_r]http://packerupdate.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/rod.jpg[/img_r]Theres an old saying that a quarterback gets too much credit when his team wins and too much blame when his team loses. The second part of that platitude was proven accurate in the aftermath of Green Bays 51-45 overtime loss to the Cardinals on Sunday. While the sieve-like defense rightly took the brunt of the criticism, Aaron Rodgers was hardly immune to finger-pointing. Yes, the same Aaron Rodgers who passed for 422 yards (406 in the final three quarters) and four scores. Yes, the same Aaron Rodgers who led the offense on five consecutive touchdown drives en route to erasing a 31-10 deficit in the games final 26 minutes. He wasnt perfect like Kurt Warner, but thats hardly a crime, said a former scout. Other than his very first pass, I thought he played great.

Apparently, Arizona safety Antrel Rolle feels the same way. Let me tell you something that dude is scary, said the safety to Yahoo! Sports. We have a great defense, and we were up on him and ready to pounce, and he found ways to tear us apart. I dont ever want to face him again in my life. I am dead serious. Ill face Drew Brees any day of the week before I face him again.

The nitpickers were quick to point out the handful of passes that Rodgers missed and the part he played in some of the five sacks including the final one that ended the Packers season. And they werent wrong. He did miss some open throws and he did hold on to the ball a bit too long at times. But to denigrate his performance because of a few imperfections is akin to dismissing Heidi Klums beauty because she has a pimple on her forehead. Green Bay would be getting ready for the Saints right now if the defense showed up even a little on Sunday, said the scout. It took a near flawless performance by a future Hall of Fame quarterback to beat a 26-year-old kid making only his 33rd career start. I think that says it all. Amen.

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
They completely ignored the fact that he missed the blitz read on the final play... failing to adjust the protection or route to take advantage of it..

But one still can't point the finger there either.. it was a well disguised blitz off the corner.. well played by the Arizona player.. plus Aaron will be better because of it.. nothing replaces in game experience.

With the way the defense played in that game... we weren't going all the way anyway.. plus we still had a flawed part of the 09 club.. the Oline.

I still say, the officials make the call on the previous play.. we aren't sitting dead red with the Cards able to make that blitz call.

Either way... water over the damn. But experienced gained.

And all the Favrers... remember back to 93, 94 and 95... we took our lumps then with a up and coming legend as well.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
yooperfan
14 years ago
Some people can point fingers all they want, but the kid was only in his second year as a starter. His learning curve is on the upswing and he accomplished what alot of veteran QB's never could.
If he ever gets to operate behind an NFL caliber offensive line with an improved running game, I think he will make people forget Payton Manning.
As long as he can stay healthy and gets a little bit better surrounding cast,
Rodgers will take us to the promise land.
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
Are people pointing fingers at this point, still? If so, here's hoping they get the eff over it - that was last season.
blank
El3ment12
14 years ago
I don't recall anyone pointing the finger at Rogers...
vikesrule
14 years ago

...Rodgers will take us to the promised land.

"yooperfan" wrote:

Last time I heard of that it took about 40 years, and the guy leading the way didn't quite make it. :icon_smile:
Grabacr
14 years ago
Rodgers is only getting better and better, give him an O-line and he will be an absolute force next year with the weapons he has. I see finley being his main target this year even for a TE. But i never pointed the finger at him, more fingers pointed at the D and Capers for not stopping the cards
UserPostedImage
Porforis
14 years ago

Rodgers is only getting better and better, give him an O-line and he will be an absolute force next year with the weapons he has. I see finley being his main target this year even for a TE. But i never pointed the finger at him, more fingers pointed at the D and Capers for not stopping the cards

"Grabacr" wrote:

I'm barely joking here, I think that Rodgers would be a less effective pocket if he got slapped behind the best O-Line in the history of the league. Better not improve TOO much.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I've actually had similar thoughts, Porforis. I think the primary reason he's the best third-down passer in the league is that he has to be. If he were able to get complacent back there, I'm not sure his numbers would be so stellar.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Didn't we run this topic into the ground already?

Heck, even us Favre fans are already on board with Rodgers. Who is still arguing that Rodgers isn't at the very least a top 10 QB?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.