Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Granted it is a different sport.. but some of the value a strong character type veteran can bring to a club.. and why having a mix of veterans on the roster helps behind the scenes.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/85011062.html 

It has been dubbed "The Hoffman Influence."

The label is all-encompassing, and just about anything positive you've ever heard about Trevor Hoffman falls under the category.

One could talk about how the majority of the Milwaukee Brewers relief pitchers eat together whether at home or on the road or how, in the dugout or bullpen, each reliever leans over the railing or fence to show support for the next pitcher taking the ball. Or even the way relievers playfully interact with each other in the clubhouse.

All of that is The Hoffman Influence.

"The bullpen is a family unto itself," last season's set-up man, Todd Coffey, said. "There are seven of us away from everybody. We're in our little dungeon, our area. Wherever we are, it's us.

"With Trevor, it's tremendous to have him bring everybody together. He's the dad of the family."

The Brewers' 42-year-old closer might take that "dad" title reluctantly, but he knows where he fits in and how important he was to the close-knit bond the bullpen guys shared last season.

After all, Hoffman was the one who gathered the relievers for pregame stretching and workouts every day once the season started. About five hours before the first pitch, Hoffman and the rest could be seen down the right-field line at Miller Park preparing for what the night could bring.

He also treated some of the relievers to a Metrodome visit after the baseball season to watch the Minnesota Vikings host a Monday night game against the Green Bay Packers.

But the nice-guy routine is far from an act. It's the real deal, and those around him feel the sincerity, making Hoffman's words and actions more influential.

"He's not fake like that," bullpen coach Stan Kyles said. "His delivery is outstanding. He's a leader in every sense of the word. He's the captain down there. He's very genuine about what he presents and what he's trying to get across."

For Hoffman, it's just part of his role.

As a veteran he took it upon himself to inject advice carefully where and when he felt it was needed. And the others listened intently to the future Hall of Famer.

"I was fortunate to be around a lot of young guys that were receptive to seeing what had worked for somebody else and how they can apply it to their routines," Hoffman said.

"We're a group of guys that enjoys each other's company but also enjoys working. We have the philosophy of helping one another out and passing the ball through the lineup."

Because of the closeness of the group, Claudio Vargas, who came in later in the season and was unfamiliar with bullpen life, was allowed to nestle in smoothly and became a productive acquisition.

"(Hoffman) helped me a lot because it was my first time being full time in the bullpen," Vargas said. "He's open to us asking him things. It means so much to have a guy like that on your team."

Particularly for a guy like Coffey, who latched onto Hoffman almost from the start and stayed in contact with him through the winter. He was at just about every workout, meal and meeting with Hoffman during the season and soaked in any knowledge the closer was willing to spill.

Coffey gives Hoffman a good portion of the credit for what ended up being the best big-league season of his career - 78 games, 2.90 earned-run average, 83 2/3 innings, 65 strikeouts, 21 walks, 1.159 WHIP.

"He's one of the better things to ever happen to me," Coffey said. "As far as learning from him, he'll help anybody and never talk about how good he is. That's a sign of a true professional.

"We all feed off each other. I like to think he fed off me and I definitely fed off him whenever he came into the game and I heard 'Hell's Bells.' You don't want to be out there in a situation where he's looking at a save and then you blow it an inning before."

Coffey will have to fight to be the set-up man again this season after the Brewers added 15-year veteran LaTroy Hawkins to the mix. Other than him, left-handers Scott Schoeneweis and Chuck Lofgren are other new faces with a chance to make a bullpen that at times wore down and finished with 544 innings pitched, third most in the National League last year.

The ease with which Hoffman fit into the Brewers' clubhouse after 16 seasons with the San Diego Padres was a huge help. He called the Brewers a perfect storm of young players on the rise willing to listen and open to advice - count lefty Mitch Stetter among them as he was one of Hoffman's yearlong students - as well as an organization filled with good-character guys.

That was especially important because Hoffman was virtually invisible during his first spring training thanks to his own preparation routine and an oblique injury that had him in the trainer's room most of the time, including at the start of the season.

Once he got going, Hoffman was dominant. He saved 37 games, had a 1.83 earned-run average and was an NL all-star, leading to the Brewers signing him to a one-year, $7.5 million deal with a 2011 club option.

But his influence on the other relievers from preparation to performance was immeasurable.

"Being able to be part of a group like that, there's an accountability factor that some teams don't necessarily see," Hoffman said. "I think that's important. . . . You're a team within a team.

"That's nice to have, but the bottom line is you have to go out and do your job and do what's expected of you. That's what's really nice."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (5h) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (5h) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6h) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6h) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6h) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.