Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Mike Vandermause column: Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers' next challenge is playoffs

[img]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20100109&Category=PKR07&ArtNo=100109019&Ref=AR&Profile=1959&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0[/img]

Aaron Rodgers has spent much of his competitive life proving the skeptics, critics and naysayers wrong.

He wasnt supposed to be good enough to earn a Division 1 college scholarship. He wasnt deemed worthy enough by a majority of NFL teams to be taken in the first round of the 2005 draft. His form wasnt sound enough, his body wasnt durable enough, and his arm wasnt strong enough.

Every time he showed up his doubters, they would find something else to criticize.

He passed for more than 4,000 yards in his first season as an NFL starter in 2008 and despite enduring a painful shoulder injury, started every game. The myth that he lacked toughness was debunked, so the knock on him shifted to his inability to win close games.

That faulty claim was blown up in the 2009 season opener when he beat the Chicago Bears with a late touchdown pass.

But for every Rodgers achievement, his doubters conjure up another flaw in his game.

Rodgers has displayed a remarkable knack for avoiding interceptions, but for that he is accused of not taking enough chances.

In the midst of an early-season sack barrage that stifled the offense, Rodgers took his lumps on the field and in the court of public opinion, where he was blamed for holding the football too long.

When Rodgers consistently churned out impressive numbers in the first half of the season, he was accused of being all about statistics except in the one category that really mattered, winning.

He proceeded to lead the Packers to a 7-1 finish and playoff berth, and in the process turned in, statistically, the best overall single-season performance by a quarterback in the 90-year history of the franchise.

Rodgers passed for 4,434 yards (No. 2 on the Packers all-time list), and produced a 103.2 passer rating (No. 2), 1.3 interception percentage (No. 2), 4.3 to 1 touchdown to interception ratio (No. 2), and 64.7 completion percentage (No. 3).

Brett Favre, who preceded Rodgers as the Packers starting quarterback, never matched those single-season statistics during his 16-year career in Green Bay, even during his three MVP years.

So whats wrong with Rodgers now? The nit-pickers will say that for as well as Rodgers performed this season, Favre played even better with the Minnesota Vikings. At the ripe old age of 40, Favre had a 107.2 passer rating, 68.4 completion percentage and astounding 4.7 to 1 touchdown to interception ratio. Plus, Favre won both head-to-head matchups against Rodgers this season.

That leads to one other bit of unfinished business for Rodgers. He has never proven himself in a playoff game, and will get his first chance at 3:40 p.m. Sunday in a wild-card matchup against the Arizona Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium.

If the true measure of an NFL quarterback comes in the playoff crucible, then we are about to find out how Rodgers handles the heat.

He has passed every other test in his life with flying colors, including the difficult task of replacing a legend like Favre. If Rodgers can flourish under that kind of scrutiny, playoff pressure might feel like a breeze in comparison.

Obviously the quarterback is going to be judged fair or unfair by his success in the playoffs, Rodgers said. You remember the quarterbacks -- Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana, Tom Brady -- who have won three, four Super Bowls. Obviously thats not my main focus (right now) but at some point youd love to be mentioned in the same breath as guys like that, that have won multiple Super Bowls.

Rodgers begins the quest for his first Super Bowl title today when the playoffs begin. He is attempting to treat this as just another game, but deep down he knows, once again, he has something to prove.

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
Damn, why did this article have to remind me about the Cardinals L?
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I considered editing out the references to playoffs, thereby eliminating the time referent completely, but I thought that might be considered dishonest. 😉
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
Oh well, I'm bored and it gave me something to do. Thanks for the good read.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Hmm...

Everything said in this article has been said on this forum 1000 times. Which leads me to believe Mikey reads this forum. Hi Mikey.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
TheEngineer
14 years ago
A lot of people go on about how Rodgers has a lot of detractors, but after this season I think they're definitely in the (somewhat vocal) minority - and you get that with every athlete. I don't think it's much of an excuse after this season.
blank
vikesrule
14 years ago
Mike Vandermause is 1000 times the Packers fan than he is a journalist.
A Homer's Homer if you will.

That article that he wrote after the Packers loss to the Cardinals was downright embarrassing.
All he did was cry and wail over how he refs screwed the Packers....nothing about how the Packers vaunted "playoff caliber defense" that he himself had just praised weeks before, allowed 45 points in regulation play.
But I must admit, his melodramatic skills are superb.

"On one of the biggest stages of the NFL season, in front of a national television audience, in one of the most dramatic games in playoff history, the officials flat out choked on the final play of the Arizona Cardinals 51-45 overtime victory over the Green Bay Packers.

Their miscue in the most critical moment will haunt the Packers for months, if not years.

The gory details will live in team infamy.......
"

Link to Homer Vandermause 
bigfog
14 years ago

Mike Vandermause is 1000 times the Packers fan than he is a journalist.
A Homer's Homer if you will.

That article that he wrote after the Packers loss to the Cardinals was downright embarrassing.
All he did was cry and wail over how he refs screwed the Packers....nothing about how the Packers vaunted "playoff caliber defense" that he himself had just praised weeks before, allowed 45 points in regulation play.
But I must admit, his melodramatic skills are superb.

"On one of the biggest stages of the NFL season, in front of a national television audience, in one of the most dramatic games in playoff history, the officials flat out choked on the final play of the Arizona Cardinals 51-45 overtime victory over the Green Bay Packers.

Their miscue in the most critical moment will haunt the Packers for months, if not years.

The gory details will live in team infamy.......
"

Link to Homer Vandermause 

"vikesrule" wrote:

And the point here would be.....?

Have you ever listened to Paul Allen call a Viking game? That's a homer for you.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
British
14 years ago
Watching other teams scrabble around desperately for even half decent QBs makes me so grateful we have Rodgers.

When you factor in his age, his talent and his character/leadership there are few better QBs in the league.

The very best (Manning, Brady, Brees etc) are all in their 30s. Who knows how much longer they'll be at the top of their game.

If I was starting a franchise today Rodgers would be my choice of QB.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
That's a good point, British.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (7h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (9h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (9h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (10h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (13h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (13h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (16h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (16h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
25m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.