Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
I am not sure where peoples view are on stem cell research on this forum.. so I will keep my opinion to myself.. but worthy news in that arena.

http://www.jsonline.com/features/health/84076067.html 

After two years of steady advances that have turned cell-reprogramming into one of the most promising areas of biology, researchers in Worcester, Mass., have discovered a major glitch that could delay the march toward a more intimate understanding of disease and even toward possible treatments.

Scientists at a company called Advanced Cell Technology compared cells grown from embryonic stem cells with others grown from the reprogrammed equivalent known as iPS cells. They found that many of the early blood, blood vessel and eye cells grown through reprogramming died or aged prematurely, a severe blow to the company, which had been hoping to go through the approval process to translate these techniques into treatments for patients.

"There's no way the FDA or any other regulatory agency is going to allow cells with those kind of problems into the clinic," said Robert Lanza, chief scientific officer at Advanced Cell Technology and one of the scientists reporting these finding in a paper published online Thursday in the journal Stem Cells Express.

"No one wants to hear the bad news, and we didn't want to either."

Lanza said, however, that there are early indications that scientists may be able to fix the problem by using a different reprogramming method. In a separate set of experiments, Lanza's team did not use the original technique of rewinding cells back to the embryonic state by inserting genes into them, but instead used proteins to accomplish the feat. The protein method appeared to produce cells that perform as they should.

"It made a huge difference," he said.

Still, Lanza said, "We have a very serious problem here," and work remains before it can be considered solved.

"It takes time to digest essentially revolutionary ideas," said Timothy Kamp, a stem cell scientists who did not work on this paper, but directs the University of Wisconsin's Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine Center.

"It's like any new discovery. It takes time for the scientific community to work through a new discovery and fully understand it. . . . This isn't the end of the story."

Both Lanza and Kamp said the new results underscore the caution of stem cell scientists who have insisted that the reprogramming breakthroughs should not end research on human embryonic stem cells.

Cell reprogramming, the ability to take a mature cell such as a skin cell and return it to its embryonic origin, was achieved with the cells of mice in 2006 by the Japanese scientist Shinya Yamanaka, and then with human cells the following year by both Yamanaka and James Thomson at University of Wisconsin-Madison.

The discoveries triggered great excitement, though there have been cautions all along. The Yamanaka and Thomson labs both started out using viruses to deliver outside genes that set reprogramming in motion, techniques that tinkered with the genome and carried a risk of causing cancer.

From early on, scientists stressed that these were only technical difficulties, and within months a string of new papers presented alternative, safer ways to change cells.

Still, additional concerns have nagged researchers. Although the reprogrammed cells appear very similar to embryonic stem cells, scientists have found differences in the degree to which they express various genes. The full significance of these differences remains a mystery.

Moreover, reprogramming has proved highly inefficient, delivering just 1% or fewer of the cells back to the embryonic state. Many of the cells end up in varying degrees of partial reprogramming.

Lanza said he believes the problem his team discovered has to do with the outside genes being inserted into the cells.

"You can't just cut into the DNA all over the place and not have consequences," he said.

In this case, the consequences not only render the cells unusable for patients, but also leave them so abnormal that they cannot be used to gain an accurate picture of how diseases progress, Lanza said. Since 2007, Thomson and other scientists have stressed that long before the reprogrammed cells can be safely transplanted into patients, they should provide models for various diseases and targets for discovery of new drugs. However, if they do not accurately reflect living cells in the body, "There's no way we can use these cells, even for modeling diseases," Lanza said.

Beverly Torok-Storb, a stem cell researcher in Seattle, said it may turn out that changing cells directly from one type to another, for example skin to blood, may be more practical than taking a detour by first sending cells all the way back to the embryonic state.

Kamp further cautioned that the problems revealed by the new paper may occur only when the reprogrammed cells grow in the artificial environment of a lab dish rather than the natural environment of a body. He suggested that a more rigorous test would be to insert the cells into living animals to see how they function.

The new study, Kamp said, "suggests we don't really understand iPS cells very well yet."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
4PackGirl
14 years ago
on a completely personal note, shawn, you may have just saved my twins lives!! when i read this article, i realized i hadn't received a bill from the place that i had their cord blood banked at when they were born. i called & they had the wrong address listed for me. if you hadn't posted this article, i don't think i would have remembered it & their cord blood would have been destroyed. if they ever need it, i'm thankful it's there.

thanks a million, shawn!!!
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Wow... well I am glad I posted the article now.

It was my pleasure.... give the kids a pair of fives when you see them next from Pack93z. 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
4PackGirl
14 years ago
will do! 😃
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
A pair of four-year-olds toting around $5 bills will feel rich indeed. 😉
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
14 years ago
lol - funny thing is, they each got $5 from my mom for valentine's day.
Cheesey
14 years ago
I remember when you could buy a TON of candy for 5 bucks! I even remember the old "general store" where you could get groceries, and they had a kid's area where you could buy candy and pretzels. And not all of them were packaged. Some were in glass containers with a lid on them, and you would take out what you want and pay for just that amount.

Geez......rambling like an "old man!" LOLOL!!!

I read an article like this, and am amazed at what man can do. At the same time, i think "And people believe that we evolved by chance, when man is given all this to start with, and STILL can't manufacture life."
It's an amazing time we live in.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I can still get sick on five bucks' worth of candy. 😉
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
LOL! Yeah....with my diabetes, i wouldn't DARE to try to eat $5 worth of candy!
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I didn't know you are diabetic! Are you Type I or Type II?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (3h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (3h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (3h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (4h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (4h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (6h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (6h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (11h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (11h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.