Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Snap Judgments: The Pro Bowl had plenty of good, bad, ugly moments 

by Don Banks | CNNSI.com

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- Musings, observations and the occasional insight from an NFC-AFC Pro Bowl that was more notable for where it was played, when it was played, and who's not here, than anything that actually happened in the game ...

Sounds like the Pro Bowl is staying in the week-before-Super-Bowl slot for the foreseeable future if NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has any say in it (and he most assuredly does). So that means each and every season the NFL can try to beat this year's record of 34 players who pulled out of the game, either due to injury or mandatory inactivity (i.e., players from each Super Bowl team).

Thirty-four no-shows. Wow. That's nearly a third Pro Bowl roster in and of itself.

I don't want to suggest the Pro Bowl is played at a leisurely, almost gentlemanly pace on defense, but NFC defensive end Justin Smith actually helped AFC offensive tackle Joe Thomas to his feet during -- repeat, during! -- the game's first touchdown, a Matt Schaub to Andre Johnson pass.

Is the phrase "Pro Bowl-style defense'' an oxymoron, or just a punch line? I get why this game outlaws blitzing. But when did they change the rules to prohibit tackling and pass coverage? I believe the NFC defense played most of the game in the popular "Cover None'' formation. It's a Pro Bowl thing.

The only thing missing from that Brian Dawkins interception lateral-fest was the theme music from The Benny Hill Show playing in the background. Or maybe "Send in the Clowns.''

It's all fun and games until someone loses an ACL.

With Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers picking the AFC apart in the first half (15 of 19, 197 yards, two TDs, 145.0 rating), and the AFC's red/white uniform scheme, you could almost convince yourself the Arizona Cardinals defense had picked things up where they left off against the Packers in the NFC playoffs.

The NFC actually went for it -- and made it -- on 4th-and-7 from the AFC 42 in the second quarter. That's just not fair. The AFC defense wasn't even stopping anybody on three downs, let alone four.

Why do they even name running backs to the Pro Bowl any more? In the first quarter, the NFC ran once, the AFC twice. As compared to a combined 25 pass plays that were called.

A somewhat rainy Sunday night in South Florida. That can't be what Commissioner Goodell was hoping for with his grand Pro Bowl experiment.
Wonder what the weather was like in Honolulu on Sunday? Don't ask Goodell.

If Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney does indeed have a torn ankle ligament and can't play in the Super Bowl, I'd say the Saints' chances of pulling the upset goes up by at least 10-15 percent. Without Freeney to worry about, New Orleans could slide its pass protection to Indy's other superb pass rusher, Robert Mathis, perhaps limiting his impact significantly.

That's why losing Freeney might end up costing the Colts more than just their pass rush on one side. It might well have a cumulative effect, allowing New Orleans to negate the rush from both sides of Indy's defensive line.

Tell me if this sounds like Reggie Wayne thinks he'll see Freeney lining up against the Saints next Sunday night: "Hopefully we can have him out there, even if he's out there coaching the guys, [that] would be vital to us,'' said Wayne from the Pro Bowl.

That's not waving the white flag on Freeney's chances of playing, but it's close.

The Pro Bowl resembled a regular-season game only when Eagles super soph DeSean Jackson had the ball in his hands. Mainly because he ran away from AFC defenders, scoring twice, just like he did all year for Philadelphia.

Come to think of it, ditto for when Josh Cribbs was the ballcarrier, too.

You have no idea how close I came to pulling a Bryant McKinnie and not showing for the Pro Bowl. But when I found out there would be no penalty whatsoever for my absence, and they'd play the game without me, I figured, 'What's the point?' I'm only going to bail if someone notices. That's my rule.

From what I understand, if there had been a poll taken this week among his fellow NFL players, McKinnie would have been named the most likely to pull an asinine stunt like partying his way off the NFC roster the day before the game. Let's just say people who know him weren't shocked that when he decided to put the club first, it turned out to be a nightclub.
Even his Vikings teammates are known to be disgusted with his act at this point, and I wouldn't be surprised if team owner Zygi Wilf adds his own fine to the one the NFL already is considering against McKinnie. The grounds? First-degree embarrassment of the Vikings organization. A punishable offense.

I can see pulling a McKinnie in maybe the eighth Pro Bowl of one's career. Or at least thinking about it. But on your first trip to the NFL all-star game ... which is being played in your hometown? I'll go out on a limb here and predict that McKinnie will have a tough time getting either the player or fan vote the rest of his career.

Speaking of non-surprising moves, Rex Ryan giving the finger to some vocal Dolphins at a Saturday night MMA event in Miami registers as something less than a shocker. You kind of sign up for the whole package with Ryan -- the good, the bad and the bluster. Not condoning him losing his composure in public, but you can't celebrate Ryan's refreshing unconventionality without occasionally getting the side of it that you'd care to do without.

My question is this: If we're going to jump on Ryan for his exhibition of poor taste, can't we start with his offense of attending an MMA event featuring Herschel Walker in the first place?

McKinnie just announced that even if he had been named to the NFL's All-Decade Team, he wouldn't have been able to take part any way. Something about a party to go to.

A headline I've been dying to see all week: London Fletcher to pull out of the Pro Bowl. Now that would have showed 'em, London.

It would have at least gotten Fletcher a little revenge on the game that has snubbed him for years now. The 34-year-old Redskins middle linebacker has been trying to make this game for his entire 12-year career, and was finally invited as an alternate when the Saints' Jonathan Vilma won his way to the Super Bowl.

This is only the second Pro Bowl I've covered, but there is something I'm surprised I never realized before tonight: Players get to wear their own jersey number in the Pro Bowl, no matter if there's a dozen other No. 92s already on the roster. I exaggerate, but not much. The AFC had three No. 92s: Linebackers Elvis Dumervil (Broncos) and James Harrison (Steelers), as well as Ravens defensive tackle Haloti Ngata.

That says plenty about the Pro Bowl, where it's all about the merchandising. For some strange reason, Pro Bowl jerseys are big sellers, even though I think the all-star game uniforms have a clownish, NFL Europe-quality.

I would imagine three No. 92s must make it awfully tough on the spotter for the radio broadcasts.

I came up with a novel concept for Sunday night's game, but nobody went for it: Julius Peppers wearing a different team's helmet on every defensive series in the second half, just to see which one he thinks looks best for him next season.

Credit to David Garrard for saying what we were all thinking, in response to a question about how it felt to throw a touchdown pass in his first Pro Bowl appearance: "It's so awesome,'' the Jaguars quarterback said. "One of my goals coming in to the game was to just be relevant and show all the people who said -- 'What is he doing here? The Pro Bowl has dropped off a few pegs' -- that I do belong.''

A few pegs?

49ers defensive end Justin Smith didn't exactly mean it as a putdown, but it was hardly a ringing endorsement of the Pro Bowl, either: "The pace is nice and good, and you don't have to worry about working too hard.''
Somehow, we could tell that.

I have it on good authority that if the NFC had won, Wade Phillips was fully prepared to count the victory as another win in the postseason.

The Pro Bowl crowd left a tad early. I looked up early in the fourth quarter and thought I was at a Marlins game.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
hah nice

Rodgers torched shit up huh? I didn't get to see any of the game, don't have ESPN.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

hah nice

Rodgers torched shit up huh? I didn't get to see any of the game, don't have ESPN.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

He looked damn good, especially compared to McNabb and Romo.
blank
joym13
14 years ago

hah nice

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

He looked damn good, especially compared to McNabb and Romo.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I didn't see much of Romo, but yeah, McNabb was terrible! All his throws were high. Aaron looked great.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Compare these Pro Bowl statistics:

13/17, 189 YDS, 2 TD

15/19, 197 YDS, 2 TD

Now guess which one won the game MVP.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

13/17, 189 YDS, 2 TD

15/19, 197 YDS, 2 TD

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I watched the game. Schaub deserved it. He might not've had the better statline, but he made some great reads and throws.

Maybe he was helped a little by some badly blown coverages, but still, he deserved it.
GoPack1984
14 years ago
Schaub did deserve it because the AFC won. Rodgers should have gotten it had the NFC won. Phillips should have put Aaron back in the game at the end like Norv Turner did with Schaub. There was a pretty significant drop-off in QB play after Rodgers and Schaub. Hopefully, McNabb will end up in a Vikings uniform. :icon_smile:
blank
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago

13/17, 189 YDS, 2 TD

15/19, 197 YDS, 2 TD

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I watched the game. Schaub deserved it. He might not've had the better statline, but he made some great reads and throws.

Maybe he was helped a little by some badly blown coverages, but still, he deserved it.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Not to mention coming back in at the end of the game. To bad Wade wouldn't pull his QB to put Rodgers back in so the NFC could get the winners share.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Oh Matt did better you say? Forget you! He had his star WR playing with him! What Packer WR was there to make it easier for Aaron huh? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Sit down!
UserPostedImage
doddpower
14 years ago
It amazed me how much better Aaron Rodger's looked then McNabb or Romo. I know Rodger's should have been sacked a few more times, but still. He looked WAY better then the other two quarterbacks. Props to that.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.