Dulak
14 years ago

You confuse republicans with conservatives. Overall, I'd consider both Bushes conservatives, but Bush II certainly went on liberal streaks. Not that it really takes away from your point, I'm just saying...

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Actually, I don't. The media does though. The Bush's weren't conservatives. Just Republicans. As are most Republicans today.

The closest Republican to a real conservative is Ron Paul, and the current Republican party hates him with a passion (because he's smarter than the rest of them put together and today's Republicans are a bunch of chickenhawks).

I hate Republicans every bit as much as I hate Democrats. One wants to ban this, the other wants to ban that.

Eng - Actually, it's not implying causation. It's taking a stab at the belief that more guns = more murder and shows that's silly and anti-gun nuts need to come up with another angle as their angle is simply wrong.

You really want to cut murder? I'll tell you how. Stop sending jobs overseas. Stop bringing in illegals, who are often criminals, and undercut family farmers and working class folks. Fix the economy. Employed people kill less. This is fact with stats after stats to back it up.

Guns are a small part in this. I'm a gun nut but I'll readily admit this.

Guns aren't the 2nd Amendment because of criminals. They're the 2nd Amendment to protect us from foreign invasion or tyranny. The fact that they give us an additional option against criminals to me is simply a bonus.

From a personal note, the best way to avoid being a victim of crime is to avoid "bad areas." Crime stats in America are skewed because most of the crime happens in "bad areas." America is a very safe country, except for the bad areas. I've lived in bad areas twice in my life and the best thing you can possibly do is do anything you can to move out of them, and when you want to see your friends and family, have them visit you instead of vice versa.

"Porforis" wrote:

nice stuff here zombie ... was going to say sometimes you 'cant' avoid the 'bad' areas ...

my moms friends kid was/is going to law school in st louis. Some guys jury rigged his security locked apartment entrance and held him at gun point. Made him take them to his room where they took whatever they wanted; they tied him up and debated in front of him about killing him. One of the robbers stood up for him and said since he cooperated that they should let him live ...

the dude still goes to school down there ... from a upper middle class family in chicago ...
TheEngineer
14 years ago

Eng - Actually, it's not implying causation. It's taking a stab at the belief that more guns = more murder and shows that's silly and anti-gun nuts need to come up with another angle as their angle is simply wrong.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Are you making that statement based on this article alone? Remember that it could just as easily be an aberration to the general trend. Taking this article in isolation, we can't say whether it's correct or not because the sample size is too small, but they're certainly big on implications. If there's other articles which show a negative correlation between guns sold and violent crime then sure, that would lend credence. But this article is complete trash, with no mention of the statistical confidence of the result (as is many of the pro gun stances, I'm sure).

While you make valid points.. the 2nd one you made a few assumptions. At a drive thru in the Dairy Queen right down the road from our apartment (the DQ that we frequent most), a woman was car-jacked at gunpoint. She was IN THE DRIVE THRU! I'm not yelling at you.. I'm stressing the fact that there were OTHER people around. I'll be damned if I'm going to have my wife sit in a drive thru without some sort of protection. Yes, having an assortment of pepper spray/'Guardian Angels' is nice. So is having a gun, legally.

"Formo" wrote:

Formo, I will refer you to what is known as availability heuristic. The mind is easily convinced of the importance of big shocking events. If you've heard of someone being carjacked at a drive through, that sticks in your memory. But this isn't to say that carjacking by gunpoint is the most common cause of motor vehicle theft.

http://www.lojack.com/knowledge/Documents/NICB-LoJackBrochure_FINAL.pdf 

From the National Insurance Crime Bureau. Isn't it interesting that the majority of theft prevention suggestions do not involve asking the vehicle owner to procure defensive weaponry, but are passive entry/driving prevention devices?

http://www.auto-theft.info/Statistics.htm , I stand by my hypothesis that it is the improvement in vehicle security and not the proliferation of defensive firearms.

I would have preferred to have a lot of free time to cite many sources just to get a better understanding of what the real statistics could be, but that's what I could find in a limited amount of time.
blank
Cheesey
14 years ago
It doesn't matter HOW often a certain type of crime happens. (Like a drive thru mugging) if it happens to YOU or one of your loved ones.
No law abiding citizen should be stopped from carrying a gun. In Wisconsin, we (the people of Wisconsin) voted to pass a concealed carry law. Our liberal govenor, (Doyle) kept vetoing it. Here THE PEOPLE said they wanted it, and this jerk won't allow it.
Fortunately for the state, he's quiting when his term is up. Maybe we can get someone elected that will do what the majority of Wisconsinites want, instead of what HE wants.
But that's exactly what you get when you elect liberals. They THINK they know what's best for us, and don't give a DAMN what we want. The people voted the guy in, and they got exactly what they deserved. Someone that doesn't care about them, or what they want.
Obviously, i didn't vote for the guy. But i was STUCK with him.
UserPostedImage
Formo
  • Formo
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

While you make valid points.. the 2nd one you made a few assumptions. At a drive thru in the Dairy Queen right down the road from our apartment (the DQ that we frequent most), a woman was car-jacked at gunpoint. She was IN THE DRIVE THRU! I'm not yelling at you.. I'm stressing the fact that there were OTHER people around. I'll be damned if I'm going to have my wife sit in a drive thru without some sort of protection. Yes, having an assortment of pepper spray/'Guardian Angels' is nice. So is having a gun, legally.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

Formo, I will refer you to what is known as availability heuristic. The mind is easily convinced of the importance of big shocking events. If you've heard of someone being carjacked at a drive through, that sticks in your memory. But this isn't to say that carjacking by gunpoint is the most common cause of motor vehicle theft.

http://www.lojack.com/knowledge/Documents/NICB-LoJackBrochure_FINAL.pdf 

From the National Insurance Crime Bureau. Isn't it interesting that the majority of theft prevention suggestions do not involve asking the vehicle owner to procure defensive weaponry, but are passive entry/driving prevention devices?

http://www.auto-theft.info/Statistics.htm , I stand by my hypothesis that it is the improvement in vehicle security and not the proliferation of defensive firearms.

I would have preferred to have a lot of free time to cite many sources just to get a better understanding of what the real statistics could be, but that's what I could find in a limited amount of time.

"Formo" wrote:

Again, more good points. I am well aware that most car thefts are done without weapons. But Cheesey made my point.. In the chance that it's done, close to home at a place we happen to frequent alot, with a weapon.. To me, it's unacceptable to have my wife to not carry around some sort of defensive device (doesn't have to be with a firearm, BTW).
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
TheEngineer
14 years ago

No law abiding citizen should be stopped from carrying a gun. In Wisconsin, we (the people of Wisconsin) voted to pass a concealed carry law. Our liberal govenor, (Doyle) kept vetoing it. Here THE PEOPLE said they wanted it, and this jerk won't allow it.
Fortunately for the state, he's quiting when his term is up. Maybe we can get someone elected that will do what the majority of Wisconsinites want, instead of what HE wants.

"Cheesey" wrote:

You think that's bad Cheesey, we have one man prevent the whole of Australia from having a R18+ rating on video games!
blank
djcubez
14 years ago
I don't like guns, yet I don't know where to stand on this one.

This summer I had a friend shot and killed in a mugging while he was walking back to his home in Riverwest (Milwaukee).

Two days ago a guy kicked the door in at my friends house, stole a plasma HD screen before my friend woke up. When he did wake up and try to stop the guy he almost got choked out but the robber got up and said "look man, I don't want to hurt you," left my friend on the floor of the basement and stole a PS3 before leaving.

In the first instance I hate guns. If the muggers didn't have a gun my friend would still be here today, however like Cheesey said if they had an intent to kill in the first place it's not like what weapon they had really mattered.

In the second instance I wish my friend had a gun so he could have shot the motherfucker that broke into his house, stole his property and almost killed him.

It's really a sticky subject and there's no real answer to it. The fact is that guns do exist and people are going to use them, so it seems you'll benefit more from owning one yourself. However I always consider the fact that any weapon you bring to an altercation can in some instances be used against you. Ultimately you just have to be careful and hope you get lucky that the assholes stay away from you.
Formo
  • Formo
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

This summer I had a friend shot and killed in a mugging while he was walking back to his home in Riverwest (Milwaukee).

Two days ago a guy kicked the door in at my friends house, stole a plasma HD screen before my friend woke up. When he did wake up and try to stop the guy he almost got choked out but the robber got up and said "look man, I don't want to hurt you," left my friend on the floor of the basement and stole a PS3 before leaving.

In the first instance I hate guns. If the muggers didn't have a gun my friend would still be here today, however like Cheesey said if they had an intent to kill in the first place it's not like what weapon they had really mattered.

In the second instance I wish my friend had a gun so he could have shot the motherfucker that broke into his house, stole his property and almost killed him.

It's really a sticky subject and there's no real answer to it. The fact is that guns do exist and people are going to use them, so it seems you'll benefit more from owning one yourself. However I always consider the fact that any weapon you bring to an altercation can in some instances be used against you. Ultimately you just have to be careful and hope you get lucky that the assholes stay away from you.

"djcubez" wrote:

Don't hate guns. Hate the people that abuse their power.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Cheesey
14 years ago
Dcube....i'm sorry to hear about your friend. Had he had a gun, he could have maybe stopped the guy that killed him BEFORE he got killed.
Plus, had your other friend had a chance to defend his home, he could have stopped the crooks. Plus any FUTURE crimes the scumbags commit.

Engineer....that's what happens when government has too much power. They don't allow YOU to make your own decisions. They think they are "better" and "smarter" then you. Thats just not right.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
14 years ago

"Formo" wrote:

Don't hate guns. Hate the people that abuse their power.

"djcubez" wrote:

Of course I hate people that abuse power but I'm not convinced there will ever be a world without those type of people. If these people were not given the tools to take lives I'd feel much happier but it seems that will never happen. The reason I hate guns is because despite how many ways you can justify their use they will always be a tool of destruction. There are definitely people that don't deserve to live but that shouldn't give anyone the right to strip them of that ability. Yes, I'm aware of the fact that I'm talking in circles but it's hard to avoid when talking about life and death. Life is too precious for anyone to have control over yet that seems to be all anyone is interested in--controlling other peoples lives.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
No matter how you justify their use, axes and knives will always be tools of destruction. So will matches, cigarette lighters, and gas cans.
UserPostedImage