Formo
14 years ago

Actually, the depictions of Jesus that make him resemble a skinny hippie in the latter stages of tuberculosis are illogical. According to the gospels, Jesus was a carpenter. (Actually, scholars believe the Greek word is better translated "stone carver," which makes sense, considering there were few trees in Palestine at that time.) He was a man who worked with his hands; so he must have been quite strong.

The fact that Jesus retained enough strength after his brutal flogging by the Roman soldiers is proof of his physical toughness; most prisoners were not flogged prior to crucifixion because so many people died under the whip (cat-o'-nine-tails tended to have pieces of lead fastened to the ends of the lashes). After the flogging, the skin of his back would have been hanging in ribbons, his bones probably would have been showing -- and to complete the indignity, the soldiers clad him in a scarlet robe (probably made of silk), which would have clung to the clotting wounds and torn off the skin as it was later removed. Still, he was able to carry the patibulum (crossbeam), which probably weighed in excess of 200 lbs, to the hill on which he was crucified, and he still survived about nine hours on the cross.

Western art doesn't give Jesus enough credit in my opinion. He was one of the toughest men in history. In contrast to the nice Jesus we've grown accustomed to seeing, the guy was probably HUGE.

UserPostedImage

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Thank you.. I hate the modern depiction of Jesus as a skinny little 'weakling'. Even his demeanor has been skewed as a weak kneed personality. I'm with Zombie in that he probably looks more like Mr. T than the current depiction.

Gregory Jennings, Jr. (born September 21, 1983)

"IronMan" wrote:

LOL
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
DGB454
14 years ago
Another FWIW.....According to this article Jesus wasn't black or white and was about 5' 1" tall.

What did Jesus look like? 

[img_l]http://www.religioustolerance.org/jesusface.jpg[/img_l]UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

"In recent portrayals by Caucasian Christian artists, Yeshua of Nazareth (a.k.a. Jesus Christ) has typically been shown with a light skin, a long "Presbyterian" nose, very long hair, and a height probably in excess of six feet. The face of Jim Caviezel, who plays Jesus in the movie "The Passion of the Christ," is similar to many modern-day images of Jesus. He is shown in the right picture above. Carlos F. Cardoza-Orlandi, associate professor of world Christianity at Columbia Theological Seminary in Atlanta, GA, commented: "While Western imagery is dominant, in other parts of the world he is often shown as black, Arab or Hispanic." 3 However, these have been based on pure speculation by the artists.

There have been at least two recent attempts at predicting what Yeshua actually looked like:
bullet

The center portrait above is based on the image on the Shroud of Turin, which is believed by some Christians to be the burial shroud of Jesus. It is of a man estimated to be 5' 11?" to 6' 2" tall. 1
bullet

Starting with the assumption that Jesus resembled a typical peasant from 1st century CE Palestine, Richard Neave, a medical artist retired from the University of Manchester in England, and a team of researchers:

"... started with an Israeli skull dating back to the 1st century. They then used computer programs, clay, simulated skin and their knowledge about the Jewish people of the time to determine the shape of the face, and color of eyes and skin." 2

Mike Fillon followed the research and wrote an article about the portrait in "Popular Mechanics" magazine. 3 He said during a CNN interview that:

"There are very strong rabbinical laws in Israel that you cannot tamper with a skull or any bones, so they needed to reconstruct the skull. Using a cat scan, which is very common in hospitals, they were able to recreate the skull precisely and make a cast of it. Then they put small wooden pegs, based on anthropological data, to figure out what the muscle structure and the skin would look like, and so they layered that on using clay-like substances." 4

The result is shown in the left portrait above: a person with abroad peasant's face, dark olive skin, short curly hair and a prominent nose. His height would have been on the order of 5' 1"; he would have weighed about 110 pounds. Alison Galloway, professor of anthropology at the University of California in Santa Cruz , said that: "This [portrait] is probably a lot closer to the truth than the work of many great masters."

Jean Claude Gragard, used the left image in his documentary "Son of God," which was broadcast by the British Broadcasting Commission in 2001. He said:

"Using archaeological and anatomical science rather than artistic interpretation makes this the most accurate likeness ever created. It isn't the face of Jesus, because we're not working with the skull of Jesus, but it is the departure point for considering what Jesus would have looked like."

They guessed at the length of Jesus' hair on the basis of the reference by Paul that "If a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him." They speculate that Paul would not have written this if Jesus Christ had had long hair. However, that might not be a valid assumption. Jesus was referred to often in the Bible as "Rabbi." If he was an actual rabbi, he would definitely have followed Jewish law which forbade men from clipping the sides of their hair and their beards. Besides, there is no indication in the Bible that Paul actually met or saw Jesus.

Mike Fillon told CNN that:

"There is no way that we are saying this is the skull of Jesus...Christians believe...that Jesus' entire body was resurrected, so there would never be any bones or skull or DNA evidence of Jesus. Plus, his ministry was very, very short. So it would be hard to find a lot of evidence."

Some liberal theologians assume that Jesus was not resurrected. They assume that the Romans threw his body on a garbage heap to be eaten by scavengers. This was a near-universal practice for the victims of execution. Either way, the chances of finding any evidence is essentially nil."

Like I said.....FWIW
zombieslayer
14 years ago
I still think he looked like Mr. T and his last temptation wasn't what Nikos Kazantzakis thought but rather holding back from beating the **** out of those Roman guards.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
He likely would have been short. I don't know the evidence re: height that far back, but I do know that there has been a significant increase in height in the modern world. The Dutch, for example, are on average a foot taller than they were just a hundred years ago.

The benefits of better nutrition, and IMO argument #1 that should be made anytime someone says "modern health care sucks". But that's another thread.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Wade - interesting point about height. I used to enjoy Jared Diamond before Bill Gates popularized him. Diamond used to write about how we actually took a step backwards going from hunter/gathering to agricultural. The two examples he used were how many hours a week we worked and how tall we were.

Interesting tidbits - hunting/gathering Europeans averaged 21 hours a week working and the rest was play time. They were also 5'9" for the males and 5'5" for the females. Their nutritional levels were better than they are now.

Once we switched to agriculture, the average male dropped all the way down to 5'3" and I forgot what the average female dropped to. I think it was right around 5'. Plus they had nutritional diseases hunter/gathering Europeans didn't have.

It's just now Europeans are getting back to the heights their hunter/gathering ancestors had. However, they'll never get a 21 hour work week. That will never happen.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
14 years ago
Son of a bitch. I was all excited about Christmas and now I have to wait another 6 or 7 months.

But yeah, this is one of those tactics used by the Church to sort of steer the happy little village pagans toward Christianity, as has been pointed out by tons of people before me in this thread.

I heard one documentary that theorized his birthday was actually July 23, which amused me to no end, because that's mine.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago

Wade - interesting point about height. I used to enjoy Jared Diamond before Bill Gates popularized him. Diamond used to write about how we actually took a step backwards going from hunter/gathering to agricultural. The two examples he used were how many hours a week we worked and how tall we were.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

In terms of the "how many hours a week we worked", it sounds a bit like Daniel Quinn. My favorite example to use of how we've complicated life (I don't remember if I stole this or made it up) is washing clothes. People may think it's so much easier for us to just throw clothes into a washing machine and drier, but when you consider all of the work that went into mining and purifying the materials used to manufacture the machines, then their actual construction, shipping, sales, electrical supply, detergent production and distribution, merchandising, etc., it almost makes me want for the days when we ambled down to the river and scrubbed away with rocks.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

The 25th of December falls in summer here in Australia.

Maybe he was actually born in the southern hemisphere? :P

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Sorry Toddy. If he was born in Australia, he wouldn't have had a Mexican name. It's obvious Jesus was Mexican.

"Toddy" wrote:

I don't know for sure, but still reading around on this, but they didn't have the letter J back then. Right?
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
You're right. Jesus is the modernized form of the Latin transliteration of his name: Iesus, pronounced Yaysoos. Jesus' name in his native language Aramaic (the form of Hebrew current at the time) is , which transliterated into English is Yhu, pronounced Yehoshua. (If that reminds you of the name Joshua, that's exactly what it is.) Jesus' name in Greek is , which transliterated directly into English is Isos, pronounced Yaysoos.

Jesus' name meant "Yahweh saves (or delivers)," Yahweh being the name of the Hebrew God.
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago

You're right. Jesus is the modernized form of the Latin transliteration of his name: Iesus, pronounced Yaysoos. Jesus' name in his native language Aramaic (the form of Hebrew current at the time) is , which transliterated into English is Yhu, pronounced Yehoshua. (If that reminds you of the name Joseph, that's exactly what it is.) Jesus' name in Greek is , which transliterated directly into English is Isos, pronounced Yaysoos.

Jesus' name meant "Yahweh saves (or delivers)," Yahweh being the name of the Hebrew God.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

To add, Yahweh means something like "I Am".
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (15h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (18h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (21h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.