Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Why Seahawks, Holmgren could not agree

December, 20, 2009

By Mike Sando

SEATTLE -- Mike Holmgren made the Seattle Seahawks relevant.

They could not have been less relevant Sunday.

While the division-rival Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers fought for potential playoff spots, the Seahawks were losing, at home, to the previously 1-12 Tampa Bay Bucs.

They needed 22 minutes of game clock to break a scoreless tie.

On the surface, welcoming back Holmgren to lead the team's football operation shouldn't have taken half that long once the Seahawks decided they wanted him. Their inability to reach an agreement starts to make sense in the broader context of an imperfect relationship between Holmgren and the organization.

Holmgren, never shy about creating a market for his services, had been outspoken about his desire to return. The Seahawks made their interest less clear publicly until Saturday, when they offered him control of football operations.

"After a series of respectful discussions, Mike has declined our offer to rejoin the team given the structure we proposed," a statement from CEO Tod Leiweke read.

Something did not compute.

Were the Seahawks legitimately interested in hiring Holmgren, or did they simply want the public to think they were interested?

Was Holmgren legitimately interested in rejoining the Seahawks, or was he using them to drive up the price in Cleveland while punishing Seattle for failing to court him more aggressively (not just this time, but when he was waffling on his future as head coach a few years ago)?

People as sharp and amicable toward one another as Holmgren and Leiweke should have been able to reach accord if all parties had the same goal in mind.

My theory: The Seahawks wanted more time to make a decision on their leadership. Holmgren accelerated the timetable by cozying up to Cleveland and suggesting he might accept the Browns' offer soon. The Seahawks then made an honest effort to hire Holmgren to run their football operations, but they were not going to give him a blank check. The salary Seattle offered Holmgren might have told him the job wasn't quite what he hoped it would be.

Holmgren was reportedly earning $8 million per year late in his tenure as Seahawks head coach. Bill Parcells reportedly earns $4 million per year for running the Miami Dolphins. The Seahawks were most likely offering something closer to Parcells money. A salary in that range would line up with Leiweke's statements about how the team's next general manager would fit into the hierarchy.

"We're going to find somebody that, we're not going to join them, theyre going to join us," Leiweke said when announcing Tim Ruskell's resignation as GM less than three weeks ago.

The statement made it sound as though the Seahawks weren't interested in resurrecting the "Big Show" persona Holmgren created during his first run as Seattle's GM from 1999 through the 2002 season. Holmgren was bigger than the team back then.

"We've really become, in many ways, a pretty good organization," Leiweke said Dec. 3. "I dont think this is a franchise that has to go out and beg someone to come here.

"So, were going to find somebody who fits our prerequisite model of what we see as success going forward. Were going to be thoughtful. We've got time."

Holmgren didn't give them as much time as they wanted.

Still, this should have gotten done if each side liked the other enough to be flexible.

The failure to agree exposed imperfections in the relationship between the Seahawks and their former coach.

The dynamic changed when the Seahawks stripped Holmgren of his GM title after the 2002 season.

When the 2004 season ended, Holmgren met privately with Seahawks owner Paul Allen, threatening to resign if Bob Whitsitt remained team president. The situation had become that untenable, Holmgren told Allen.

The gambit worked. Allen fired Whitsitt.

Holmgren was happy again, but he could not be satisfied without the one thing he wanted from Seattle in the first place -- full control of personnel.

By spring 2006, Holmgren was contemplating whether to walk away from coaching. The Seahawks, instead of begging Holmgren to stay, gave him time to think it over.

Holmgren signed a two-year extension. Instead of pushing hard for him to stay longer, the Seahawks worked in advance to line up Jim Mora as Holmgren's eventual successor.

When the Seahawks struggled this season and Ruskell's job status became a primary issue, Holmgren made it clear through interviews that he would love to get back into NFL -- in Seattle, if the situation were right.

The Seahawks played it cool publicly, declining to discuss the possibility. Again, they weren't rushing out to embrace Holmgren. This surely bothered the most successful coach in franchise history.

"As we are getting down to the last two weeks of the season, maybe I was hoping for a few more positive signs, but no, nothing specific," Holmgren told Seattle's KJR radio Friday.

Only then did the Seahawks, mindful of perceptions and the Browns' offer, decide to pursue Holmgren with urgency.

Holmgren finally made the Seahawks want him again.

Perhaps that was enough.

UserPostedImage
sorrule
14 years ago
Reminds me some what of, dare I say it, Favre and that whole ordeal.
blank
dhazer
14 years ago
Holmgren is with the Brownies now, just announced
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.