nathaniel
14 years ago

You must not see many movies.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Actually I do. Last big budget movie that was fantastic was Star Trek.

There are a lot of indie and foreign films every year that are quite good.

"Porforis" wrote:

I'm pretty much a movie snob too. The movies with the most hype are usually all looks and no substance. I watched Star Trek though with absolutely no expectations and was blown away. The only other Star Trek flick I really liked was Star Trek 4, because it was so damn funny and ridiculous. But the new one was great.
blank
zombieslayer
14 years ago

I'm pretty much a movie snob too. The movies with the most hype are usually all looks and no substance. I watched Star Trek though with absolutely no expectations and was blown away. The only other Star Trek flick I really liked was Star Trek 4, because it was so damn funny and ridiculous. But the new one was great.

"nathaniel" wrote:

Awesome. I couldn't stop laughing at the "too much LDS in the 60s" line.

Yeah, I'm a snob, the type of guy who enjoys movies like Funny Games, Happiness, Delicatessen, Y tu mam tambin, and a hundred other films that nobody's even heard of.

A big budget film has to have something else going for it for me to like it. Like Harry Potter 3 for instance. One of my all-time favorite movies but then again it was directed by Alfonso Cuarn, the only director in that series with any real talent. The current director should be waiting tables and nowhere near a movie camera. Plus all 3 Lord of the Rings movies were outstanding but then again Peter Jackson did Heavenly Creatures which I loved.

I also loved the very first Pirates of the Caribbean and that was because they let Johnny Depp do his own thing. Depp is probably hands down America's best actor.

James Cameron is overrated. He scored with T2 but that's the only movie he directed I really liked. Most are just overblown, overbudgeted, and overhyped crap, kind of like Spielberg and that fat guy who does Star Wars, both whom I hate. So I think I'll pass on Avatar. Like I said, if I wanted to be impressed by visuals, I'd hit a strip club.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
nathaniel
14 years ago

James Cameron is overrated. He scored with T2 but that's the only movie he directed I really liked. Most are just overblown, overbudgeted, and overhyped crap, kind of like Spielberg and that fat guy who does Star Wars, both whom I hate. So I think I'll pass on Avatar. Like I said, if I wanted to be impressed by visuals, I'd hit a strip club.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! T2 was a once in a lifetime flick that happened to work on every level for him. Abyss was a run of the mill space movie, all he did was change the setting to an ocean. Titanic, there aren't words to express how much I loathe that movie. To me there is a difference between a movie and a film. Eraserhead is a film. Funny Games is a film (an extremely f'ed up one, I might add). One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is a film. Avatar is a movie. Transformers is a movie. Not that there isn't a valid place for movies. I'll begrudgingly admit that I will put on the Star Wars prequels when I want to watch something absolutely mindless but fun to look at. I have a great appreciation for special effects. My wife went to school for computer animation, and just knowing everything that goes on in making those effects gets my admiration. But there's a difference in using those effects to sell the movie and using those effects to enhance the story. Like Transformers. No one is going to see that because of the love story between Shia and Megan. They want to see huge robots turning into cars. My interest in the Star Wars prequels was more storyline than visuals, but they failed miserably.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
o_O I didn't like this person's movie, so I hate all there movies!
o_O I loved this movie, so that means I love all there movies!

Makes sense.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you! T2 was a once in a lifetime flick that happened to work on every level for him. Abyss was a run of the mill space movie, all he did was change the setting to an ocean. Titanic, there aren't words to express how much I loathe that movie. To me there is a difference between a movie and a film. Eraserhead is a film. Funny Games is a film (an extremely f'ed up one, I might add). One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is a film. Avatar is a movie. Transformers is a movie. Not that there isn't a valid place for movies. I'll begrudgingly admit that I will put on the Star Wars prequels when I want to watch something absolutely mindless but fun to look at. I have a great appreciation for special effects. My wife went to school for computer animation, and just knowing everything that goes on in making those effects gets my admiration. But there's a difference in using those effects to sell the movie and using those effects to enhance the story. Like Transformers. No one is going to see that because of the love story between Shia and Megan. They want to see huge robots turning into cars. My interest in the Star Wars prequels was more storyline than visuals, but they failed miserably.

"nathaniel" wrote:

Heh. Agreed with all your Cameron examples except I have to admit I liked Titanic. But that has more to do with having a thing for Kate Winslet. :cyclopsani:

I've seen Eraserhead twice but of Lynch, my fave movies are in this order - Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway.

Of the "movies" recently, I really liked "Up." But then again, it had "film" elements - like a damn good storyline and wonderful character development.

As for SW, yes, Lucas tried to get you to feel bad for Darth Vader. That's where he failed. The first prequel was unwatchable because of that stupid creature with the ears. That killed a pretty good performance by Liam Neeson, who I really like. The 2nd and the 3rd one had painful scenes between Natalie Portman and the guy who played Annakin. George Lucas probably hadn't had a romantic moment in 30 years and it shows.

If something is bad, I can't enjoy it. Non-snobs don't understand that. I can't turn my mind off and enjoy something. Like that last James Bond movie. That was horrible. Comedy is the exception. I found that movie with McLovin' hilarious because every time McLovin' was on the screen, I couldn't stop laughing.

So for me, it's comedy. For you it's special effects. I totally understand where you're coming from.

Star Trek was well done. Up was well done. Heck, almost everything Pixar ever made was well done. But that's because Pixar "gets it," making a big budget movie that still has film elements.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
nathaniel
14 years ago
Good Lord, we think alike! Neeson was the only actor that looked like he gave a damn about actually acting.

I'm a Pixar guy too. My wife got me into those. You get caught up in the story and forget you're watching something animated. I get flack all the time for watching Finding Nemo and Incredibles, but they're great.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I think I fail. I never cared about Dreamworks or the director or anything like that. I just watch the movie and gather my opinion from that. I guess I was never one to bash Chevrolet because I owned a few bad Chevys either though. I've always given something new a chance.

I don't think I'll give this movie a chance though, I fear blue people. Smurfs, eeek!!
UserPostedImage
Formo
  • Formo
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Zero.. you're a dick! LOL

I love cartoons. Pixar/Dreamworks.. I don't care. I tend to love them. Well, most of them. Robots pissed me off. Pixar/Disney cartoons/CGI flicks I love.

You guys mention Neeson.. Taken is my favorite movie with him, by far.

But, unlike you snobbish snobs (LOL), I can definitely turn my brain off and just be entertained. To me, that's what movies/films are for. Not to think so much that my eyes hurt. I tend to go into a movie with very low expectations, and most of the time I'm blown away (with the exception of the Twilight movies.. New Moon was the better of the two.. but I can't stand the main two actors).
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
zombieslayer
14 years ago
I enjoyed Taken.

See this is the thing - Taken had some well executed plot devices. The average movie doesn't do that. Plus Neeson looks like a genuine bad ass, not some one dimensional cartoon hero. Neeson has it, kind of like Clint Eastwood has it. Gran Tarino was a damn fine movie and old man Clint still looked like he could beat down some punk in his 20s. Neeson to me is like Clint lite. He still needs to make that great movie to put him up there with Clint, but I really think he'll be there someday.

Dreamworks I don't really care for but Pixar is da bomb. Loved Toy Story 2, Ratatouille, and Up and liked pretty much every other movie they've ever made.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

Zero.. you're a dick! LOL

I love cartoons. Pixar/Dreamworks.. I don't care. I tend to love them. Well, most of them. Robots pissed me off. Pixar/Disney cartoons/CGI flicks I love.

You guys mention Neeson.. Taken is my favorite movie with him, by far.

But, unlike you snobbish snobs (LOL), I can definitely turn my brain off and just be entertained. To me, that's what movies/films are for. Not to think so much that my eyes hurt. I tend to go into a movie with very low expectations, and most of the time I'm blown away (with the exception of the Twilight movies.. New Moon was the better of the two.. but I can't stand the main two actors).

"Formo" wrote:

I liked Taken, too. For all the reasons given.

I tend to go along the "be entertained line". Heck, I like everything from Cheech and Chong to Steven Seagal.

My movie skeleton in the closet: I actually saw "Unmarried Woman" (Jill Clayburgh) three times. Barf. Once by myself; once because the group I was hanging out with at the time went and I didn't have a car to the "after movie place." And a third time -- well, I was hoping for something from another unmarried woman. Justice was done that night, however: I went home alone.

About the only actor I won't watch is Meryl Streep. I've never forgiven her for Kramer v Kramer (double quadruple barf). And all of the rest of her sanctimonious characters. I almost never go to Dustin Hoffman movies either, for the same reason, but he gets a bit of slack for not completely effing up one of the greatest "older woman" movies ever made (The Graduate, for you youngsters).

Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Plastics.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)