Trippster
14 years ago
hourly wage people MUST take a break (lunch) when working over 6 hours. There are some industries that get exception.

My guess is that it is in the employee manual. I also think it is unreasonable for your girlfriend to think she must work 8.5 hours without a lunch break.

Communication and managing expectations is what lacks in most management/worker relationships. It is not evil mindedness at work (for the majority anyway)
"Let Your Light Shine!"
Cheesey
14 years ago
I think it's a situation of a boss doing whatever the heck they want, and figuring no one will question them.
It's sad......but truth is, very few companies give a damn about their employees. It's not like it was back when my Dad was alive and working. Companies treated their workers like family.
VERY few like that now. You are just a number to them, which they will replace without even thinking about you.

Put your foot into a bucket of water........now pull your foot out.
See the empty space you left? No? Thats how employers look at you now adays. I know there are exceptions, but very few today.
It's sad......cause if an employer cared, they could get good workers that would be loyal to the company, and would work hard.
UserPostedImage
Formo
  • Formo
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

hourly wage people MUST take a break (lunch) when working over 6 hours. There are some industries that get exception.

My guess is that it is in the employee manual. I also think it is unreasonable for your [strike]girlfriend[/strike]wife to think she must work 8.5 hours without a lunch break.

Communication and managing expectations is what lacks in most management/worker relationships. It is not evil mindedness at work (for the majority anyway)

"Trippster" wrote:

She's my wife.. =)

Like I said, she's not an 'hourly' worker.. she's a subcontractor, working through an agency that's contracted with the company she works at. Just like how sub-contractors don't have any REAL guidelines.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
dfosterf
14 years ago
I have a fond memory of a friend that stuck it to the man in a hugely big-time way as the result of them trying to be cheapskates, coupled with some incredible stupidity, coupled with some liberals running the show, coupled with some incredibly good timing.

He was a gas station manager for a BP in Alexandria, Va. He started when he was 18, worked diligently until he was 22. This was in the mid- 70's. He was probably making about 25k per year.

They called him "management", and paid him based on a 40 hour work week. Thing is, they ran a tight payroll, and when a kid called in sick, etc.--He wasn't allowed to pay anyone else overtime, so would wind up working the sick guy's/girl's shift...for free in his mind, as he was straight salary. Also, they required the managers to work 6-2, 6 days a week.

They screwed up. In their employee manual, it stated that managers were required to work a 40 hour work week. My friend is very, very smart. He kept his mouth completely shut.

You see, at that time, everyone was "anti-big-oil". Imagine that. Maryland passed what is called the "Divestiture" act, which precluded oil companies from running their own gas stations.

BP wanted "Company Men" to run those gas stations in Maryland. They could have sold what is called the "Blue Sky" rights on the open market, but elected not to do so, instead GIVING the stations to faithful managers...Like my friend.

He was awarded a gas station on Aardmore/Aardwick Highway Rt.50, right next to what is now Fed-Ex field.

This is the good part. As soon as the ink was dry on his dealer contract, he sued BP for violation of Federal Labor Law. You can get some of the best Federal courtroom lawyers in the country in DC --and that is what he eventually wound up with after consulting the "regular" lawyers. It was cut and dried, and he was further extremely smart because he by-passed the labor board and filed directly in Federal court. BP wanted to settle with him, because if they lost in court, they were looking at a class-action suit involving over 5000 gas station managers.

Now he (or he and his lawyer..he says "he"--I'd bet lawyer, lol) got brilliant. You pay for your gasoline in what is called "Delivered Tank Wagon, lap-load." You pay for your previous load when the next load arrives, with a check to the driver. He settled with BP by agreeing that they would sell him gasoline for the next three years at cost. BP owned most of the Alaskan oil...this is important to the story.

Gas crisis of 1979 hit. All the other oil companies were importing, BP was not. The federal gov't passed a windfall profits tax. Oil co's were restricted to X amount of profit per gallon, and so were the dealers. As a dealer, you were restricted to .186 per gallon profit. Everyone was maxed out at that figure. BP gasoline DTW price was less than half of all competitors. My friend'd DTW was less than half of that, due to his labor law suit and settlement. . They also had an allocation, based on previous years sales. His allocation, as a high-volume gas station, was 250,000 gallons a month. I believe he was paying .40 a gallon. The other BP's were paying .81 All the other gas stations were paying about 1.60 per gallon.

There was also something called "State Set-aside" This was a provision in the law that would increase the allocation of a particular gasoline station "for the good of the community" actual need of the community, coupled with the price that the dealer sold it for. His was the cheapest gasoline in the state, by far.

As a result, my friend's allocation was the highest in the state of Maryland. They doubled it to 500,000 gallons a month. Do the math. Competitors selling gasoline for 1.799 He is selling gasoline for .579 a gallon. In the middle of a gas crisis in the middle of a major metro area. So he's selling about 17,000 gallons of gasoline a day, making his .186 a gallon, has 4 employees for about two hrs a day (they converted from self-serve to full-serve--sound whack? -- to get them in and out.) plus his former assistant manager in Va. was his manager, she ran the show, she kept the place open for cigarettes after they shut off the gasoline daily, transported the money to an apt. in Landover he set up for just that purpose---cash only back then. Again, they were open for gasoline for less than 2 hours a day. (The lines would form for the next day as soon at they would close...8 am + or -) I think they were "odd" and "even" tags, so the line was NOT the same people that were already "IN" line--These were incredible times... I wish I had a digital camera back then so I could show you this now, lol-- I would see this all on my "cameo" visits home...

The "crunch" eased in 1980, but the laws and the volume remained the same. He pumped at that volume and margin for the full three years.

Now he got INCREDIBLY brilliant. Remember that blue sky I mentioned?

He sold his gas station. He sold the "Blue Sky" for 4 million dollars, and that was well below market value. (Even good news here--I think that station got "moved" when Boy wonder an co. built Fed ex field--BP got a new station, and I think my friend's buyer got his blue sky $$ from Boy Wonder--I think that's what happened)

I should mention that my friend got incredibly lazy during this timeframe. It was difficult to walk into that apartment. His manager would bring the daily receipts from the station and place it in the apt. He was too lazy to count it. She would take cash out of the bags and put a piece of paper in there in order to keep the checking account funded for the gasoline, cigs, and payroll. It was difficult to walk in that apartment, because the pathways were too narrow. The apartment was literally stuffed with cash in paper bags, floor to ceiling, every room.

His rent was $5000.00 a month at the station and about $500 at the apt. His payroll and those cigs were..call it a bag of money...lol...in a sea of it...He was probably net "plus" on all of that, including rent, because they did a high volume in cig sales.

.18 a gallon x 500,000 gallons a month x 12 months x 3 years.

Plus the blue sky sale.

...and he never worked a day. He even ultimately wound up handing the counting chore over to his manager.

And it all started because he opted to keep his mouth shut about some owed overtime pay.

He is without a doubt the most blessed son of a bitch that I have ever known. I hate his guts. (NOT, he's my lifetime best friend, the bastard)
longtimefan
14 years ago
I bet the law in Minny is that the employers HAVE to pay for a lunch

While it looks like the boss is an ass, maybe he is doing everything by the books so the company doesnt get fined?
14 years ago
If she's a contractor, it strikes me as odd that they wouldn't pay for the hours she worked. I am a full time employee, so it's different for me. I often put in more hours than what I write down on my timesheet, simply because it's my job and it is what I am required to do if I want to perform it well. I also send emails out at all hours of the night from my blackberry.

It seems to me like the supervisor may need to be educated about the difference between full time employment and contract work.
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
14 years ago

I have a fond memory of a friend that stuck it to the man in a hugely big-time way as the result of them trying to be cheapskates, coupled with some incredible stupidity, coupled with some liberals running the show, coupled with some incredibly good timing.

He was a gas station manager for a BP in Alexandria, Va. He started when he was 18, worked diligently until he was 22. This was in the mid- 70's. He was probably making about 25k per year.

They called him "management", and paid him based on a 40 hour work week. Thing is, they ran a tight payroll, and when a kid called in sick, etc.--He wasn't allowed to pay anyone else overtime, so would wind up working the sick guy's/girl's shift...for free in his mind, as he was straight salary. Also, they required the managers to work 6-2, 6 days a week.

They screwed up. In their employee manual, it stated that managers were required to work a 40 hour work week. My friend is very, very smart. He kept his mouth completely shut.

You see, at that time, everyone was "anti-big-oil". Imagine that. Maryland passed what is called the "Divestiture" act, which precluded oil companies from running their own gas stations.

BP wanted "Company Men" to run those gas stations in Maryland. They could have sold what is called the "Blue Sky" rights on the open market, but elected not to do so, instead GIVING the stations to faithful managers...Like my friend.

He was awarded a gas station on Aardmore/Aardwick Highway Rt.50, right next to what is now Fed-Ex field.

This is the good part. As soon as the ink was dry on his dealer contract, he sued BP for violation of Federal Labor Law. You can get some of the best Federal courtroom lawyers in the country in DC --and that is what he eventually wound up with after consulting the "regular" lawyers. It was cut and dried, and he was further extremely smart because he by-passed the labor board and filed directly in Federal court. BP wanted to settle with him, because if they lost in court, they were looking at a class-action suit involving over 5000 gas station managers.

Now he (or he and his lawyer..he says "he"--I'd bet lawyer, lol) got brilliant. You pay for your gasoline in what is called "Delivered Tank Wagon, lap-load." You pay for your previous load when the next load arrives, with a check to the driver. He settled with BP by agreeing that they would sell him gasoline for the next three years at cost. BP owned most of the Alaskan oil...this is important to the story.

Gas crisis of 1979 hit. All the other oil companies were importing, BP was not. The federal gov't passed a windfall profits tax. Oil co's were restricted to X amount of profit per gallon, and so were the dealers. As a dealer, you were restricted to .186 per gallon profit. Everyone was maxed out at that figure. BP gasoline DTW price was less than half of all competitors. My friend'd DTW was less than half of that, due to his labor law suit and settlement. . They also had an allocation, based on previous years sales. His allocation, as a high-volume gas station, was 250,000 gallons a month. I believe he was paying .40 a gallon. The other BP's were paying .81 All the other gas stations were paying about 1.60 per gallon.

There was also something called "State Set-aside" This was a provision in the law that would increase the allocation of a particular gasoline station "for the good of the community" actual need of the community, coupled with the price that the dealer sold it for. His was the cheapest gasoline in the state, by far.

As a result, my friend's allocation was the highest in the state of Maryland. They doubled it to 500,000 gallons a month. Do the math. Competitors selling gasoline for 1.799 He is selling gasoline for .579 a gallon. In the middle of a gas crisis in the middle of a major metro area. So he's selling about 17,000 gallons of gasoline a day, making his .186 a gallon, has 4 employees for about two hrs a day (they converted from self-serve to full-serve--sound whack? -- to get them in and out.) plus his former assistant manager in Va. was his manager, she ran the show, she kept the place open for cigarettes after they shut off the gasoline daily, transported the money to an apt. in Landover he set up for just that purpose---cash only back then. Again, they were open for gasoline for less than 2 hours a day. (The lines would form for the next day as soon at they would close...8 am + or -) I think they were "odd" and "even" tags, so the line was NOT the same people that were already "IN" line--These were incredible times... I wish I had a digital camera back then so I could show you this now, lol-- I would see this all on my "cameo" visits home...

The "crunch" eased in 1980, but the laws and the volume remained the same. He pumped at that volume and margin for the full three years.

He sold his gas station. He sold the "Blue Sky" for 4 million dollars, and that was well below market value. (Even good news here--I think that station got "moved" when Boy wonder an co. built Fed ex field--BP got a new station, and I think my friend's buyer got his blue sky $$ from Boy Wonder--I think that's what happened)

I should mention that my friend got incredibly lazy during this timeframe. It was difficult to walk into that apartment. His manager would bring the daily receipts from the station and place it in the apt. He was too lazy to count it. She would take cash out of the bags and put a piece of paper in there in order to keep the checking account funded for the gasoline, cigs, and payroll. It was difficult to walk in that apartment, because the pathways were too narrow. The apartment was literally stuffed with cash in paper bags, floor to ceiling, every room.

His rent was $5000.00 a month at the station and about $500 at the apt. His payroll and those cigs were..call it a bag of money...lol...in a sea of it...He was probably net "plus" on all of that, including rent, because they did a high volume in cig sales.

Plus the blue sky sale.

...and he never worked a day. He even ultimately wound up handing the counting chore over to his manager.

And it all started because he opted to keep his mouth shut about some owed overtime pay.

He is without a doubt the most blessed son of a bitch that I have ever known. I hate his guts. (NOT, he's my lifetime best friend, the bastard)

"dfosterf" wrote:

QFE. Quoted for epic
This is a placeholder
Formo
  • Formo
14 years ago

Plus the blue sky sale.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

QFE. Quoted for epic

"dfosterf" wrote:

DQFE

Double quoted for Epic.. LOL
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
...And I became the first www consultant in the world.

Perhaps the last www consultant as well.

And all of you think www stands for world wide web, lol NOT!
Formo
  • Formo
14 years ago
Here's the update: I find out that this guy is a new boss. Her previous boss was NOT a stickler on hours, so she was able to get away with having more than 40 hours/week. Her boss moves on and she gets a new one. Now, because of the lack of communication between my wife and her boss, we run into this problem. I got Shanna to probe him on why he had a fit about the half hour. Apparently it's company policy (thanks to the economy) that on a short week, employees can NOT work more than 8 hours. He failed to tell her that, so when she worked through her lunch, she had no clue she wasn't supposed to do that.

Your question may be, 'But Formo.. Why didn't her boss just tell her that during her lunch?'

Great question! That's because her boss leaves at 4:30ish. Her shift starts at 3:30pm. Once he leaves, she becomes the shift lead/supervisor/organizer.

Again, the principle of her not getting paid that half hour annoyed me.. But what pissed me off was how we had to drop our plans for the day on our own damn time to fix this clowns miscommunication.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (21h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (21h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.