millertime
14 years ago
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20091129/PKR07/91129056/1058/PKR01/Dougherty--3-wins-needed-for-playoffs 

Green Bay Packers need 3 wins to make NFC playoffs

by: Pete Dougherty

So what will it take to get into the 2009 playoffs in the NFC?

Nine wins? Probably not.

Ten? Much more likely.

Either way, the Green Bay Packers are in good position to get into postseason play, based on their schedule and recent performance.

If the season ended today, the Packers and the Philadelphia Eagles would be the NFCs two wild-card teams at 7-4.

But with five games to play, the New York Giants (6-5) and Atlanta Falcons (6-5) are in the thick of the race, and the San Francisco 49ers (5-6) remain just on the fringe.

Theres also a chance the Eagles could catch Dallas (8-3) for first place in the NFC East Division, in which case Dallas would replace Philadelphia in the running for one of the two wild-card spots. Regardless, one of the two will win the division, and the other has a great shot at a wild card.

The Packers have played better in winning their last three games, including getting their lone win of the season over a team thats currently at least .500, Dallas.

Just as important, they have a favorable schedule, maybe the most favorable among the main contenders for those two wild-card spots.

As determined by opponents records alone, the Packers have the easiest schedule (26-27 not counting Sunday nights game between Pittsburgh and Baltimore), followed by Atlanta (27-27), with the Eagles and Giants tied (32-23) for the toughest.

A subjective look suggests the same.
The NFC contenders' schedules

The Packers play two teams below .500 (Chicago and Seattle, both 4-7) that are effectively out of the playoff race, one likely division winner (Arizona, 7-4 in the NFC West) and two teams in the playoff hunt in the AFC, Baltimore (5-5) and Pittsburgh (6-4), who played Sunday night, before this column went to print

Atlanta has three games remaining against teams below .500, including two (Buffalo and Tampa Bay) that are out of the playoff hunt. But the Falcons also play an elite team (New Orleans) and one of the other NFC wild-card contenders, the Eagles.

The Giants play two teams under .500 (Washington at 3-8 and Carolina at 4-7), but also face Dallas, Philadelphia and Minnesota (10-1).

The Eagles have it the toughest, with only one opponent under .500 (San Francisco), plus games against Atlanta, the Giants, Denver (7-4) and Dallas.

Of course, the difficulty of the schedule can change between now and any particular game, depending on circumstance, most notably injuries, but also depending on whats at stake. An opponent could fall out of the playoff race and letdown, or be in a must-win game and play with greater urgency, or have a playoff seeding wrapped up and thus rest its starters.
Chasing those last three wins

To get to 10 wins, the Packers need to win three of their final five games. Heres a quick look at each of those match ups, in order, and the possible circumstances:

Baltimore (5-5 going into Sunday night): The Ravens are a bit of a mystery this season after advancing to the AFC championship game last year. They have talent, and three of their losses are to likely playoff teams (Cincinnati, Minnesota and Indianapolis) by a total of seven points combined.

They could provide a better indication of just how much the Packers have shored up their problems protecting quarterback Aaron Rodgers, which seems to be the progression over the last three weeks. Though Baltimore went into the weekend tied for only 20th in sacks, they have an elite outside rusher in Terrell Suggs if he plays he was doubtful for Sunday night because of a knee injury and run an aggressive 3-4 defense.

The Ravens will have plenty at stake regardless of what happened against Pittsburgh on Sunday night. A win and theyre tied with the Steelers for the final wild-card spot in the AFC at 6-5, with four 5-6 teams also at their heels. A loss and they might have to win out to make the playoffs, so the Packers game would be do or die.

Chicago (4-7): The Bears are finished for 2009 after losing to Minnesota on Sunday. Quarterback Jay Cutler has thrown 20 interceptions, the second-most in the league this year; their offensive line is a disaster (halfback Matt Forte is averaging 3.3 yards a carry); and the defense (No. 20 in the league in points allowed) is a shell of the group that carried the team earlier in coach Lovie Smiths tenure.

Keep in mind a few things, though. Smith always has placed great emphasis on defeating the Packers hes 7-4 against them. The Packers are 1-2 at Chicago in Mike McCarthys three previous seasons as coach. Cutler is a talented player more than capable of playing lights out in any given game.

Pittsburgh (6-4 going into Sunday night): The defending Super Bowl champs arent playing like last season, but this game at Pittsburgh is the toughest one remaining on the Packers schedule. The Steelers will be in the middle of the playoff race and looking to peak down the stretch for another possible title run.

They also should have safety Troy Polamalu back by then, and his playmaking is critical to their defense. Hes essentially missed six games because of knee injuries one of his knee injuries was on the games first possession not including Sunday night, which he also was scheduled to miss. The Steelers were 2-4 in those games.

Seattle (4-7): The Seahawks arent good, but if quarterback Matt Hasselbeck is on the field, they have a chance. In games hes been healthy enough to start and finish theyre 4-4.

Arizona (7-4): This regular-season finale is a wild card, because the Cardinals might have nothing to play for.

They have a two-game lead over San Francisco for first place in the NFC West Division, and if they win their head-to-head matchup in two weeks, they easily could have the division title wrapped up by the time they host the Packers.

But Arizona probably wont have a shot at catching Minnesota (10-1) or New Orleans (10-0) for either of the top two seeds in the NFC, which carry a first-round bye in the playoffs. If thats the case, coach Ken Whisenhunt might not care whether he gets the third or fourth seed, and could rest some key players for the first round of the playoffs the following week.

However, if the Cardinals have anything at stake, they have one of the NFLs more potent offenses with quarterback Kurt Warner and receivers Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin.

Dulak
14 years ago
Cool article - looking forward to see how the packers do vs these opponents. And hopefully seeing them in the playoffs.

btw here is a big FU to all those chicago peeps I have seen around london (that tried to make fun of the packers).
"you guys suck and so does your team"
Porforis
14 years ago
Nice article, but how about we just win every game and not have to worry about anybody but ourselves? 🙂
British
14 years ago

Nice article, but how about we just win every game and not have to worry about anybody but ourselves? :)

"Porforis" wrote:

Obviously that's what the team is planning on doing.

But us fans enjoy speculating on all our rivals.
UserPostedImage
dyeah_gb
14 years ago
This article sums up alot on my mind lately. I don't know whether the Raven's win last night helped or hurt us. We need to show up for this Monday's game.

If we win, than we really don't have to worry as much about the Steelers or Arizona game since we just need to beat the Bears and Seahawks. Regarding the Cardinals: I think the era of teams sitting their starters before the playoffs has passed. No one likes to lose just before starting in the playoffs.

Also, I was really pleased to see a much better executed short game against the Lions because we are going to need it down the stretch to keep Rodgers healthy and confident.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
warhawk
14 years ago

This article sums up alot on my mind lately. I don't know whether the Raven's win last night helped or hurt us. We need to show up for this Monday's game.

If we win, than we really don't have to worry as much about the Steelers or Arizona game since we just need to beat the Bears and Seahawks. Regarding the Cardinals: I think the era of teams sitting their starters before the playoffs has passed. No one likes to lose just before starting in the playoffs.

Also, I was really pleased to see a much better executed short game against the Lions because we are going to need it down the stretch to keep Rodgers healthy and confident.

"dyeah_gb" wrote:

I think in the case of Arizona it may play out a little differently this time. Not being able to crack the top two means they will play the first week of the playoffs. I agree the top two might not want to risk sitting guys for two weeks but that's not the case with the Cards.

Secondly, with Warner it's a fragile situation because of his history with head injuries. I cannot see them risking a possible concussion here going into the playoffs.

Lastly, IF we have to have this game and Arizona really does not I expect the effort of our starters would be greater than theirs and that we will come out of there with a W regardless of how long they play their guys.

At the end of the day if we have to have this game to get in and they really don't have anything to play for and we lose I don't guess we belong in the playoffs anyhow.
"The train is leaving the station."
14 years ago
Yesterday was looking so good for us for a while... I thought the Eagles and Falcons were going to be upset. Damn comebacks...
UserPostedImage
gbpfan
14 years ago
watching the game last night,think we can do this if grant can run like he has been.I think they can finish on top well okay special teams in my eyes are more of a concern.
dfosterf
14 years ago
I have a bad feeling about the Ravens. I could not decide if it would be better if the Ravens win or lose prior to the game. I have decided now. It would have been better if they lost. :thumbleft:

It is true that it was hard to determine what kind of team the Ravens were. They seemed to be "lost", or "under-performing" or however you want to put it.

That game last night was a small war. I thought both teams were flying around. They both looked scary as prospective opponents, at least to me.

I think that last night's OT win will breathe new life into the Ravens. This I do not like. We are catching them at a bad time, imo.

In the interest of fairness, I'd have probably come up with an alternative scary scenario had the Ravens lost, so don't pay all that much attention to this, lol.

I wish we had beat Tampa.

We either play the best football of the season (by far) next Monday, or we are going to get our asses completely kicked. That's what I sense.
warhawk
14 years ago

I have a bad feeling about the Ravens. I could not decide if it would be better if the Ravens win or lose prior to the game. I have decided now. It would have been better if they lost. :thumbleft:

It is true that it was hard to determine what kind of team the Ravens were. They seemed to be "lost", or "under-performing" or however you want to put it.

That game last night was a small war. I thought both teams were flying around. They both looked scary as prospective opponents, at least to me.

I think that last night's OT win will breathe new life into the Ravens. This I do not like. We are catching them at a bad time, imo.

In the interest of fairness, I'd have probably come up with an alternative scary scenario had the Ravens lost, so don't pay all that much attention to this, lol.

I wish we had beat Tampa.

We either play the best football of the season (by far) next Monday, or we are going to get our asses completely kicked. That's what I sense.

"dfosterf" wrote:

I can only say that we are far better off than the Ravens in terms of when we play them. They are coming off two against the Colts and Steelers and now travel to us with 11 days rest. That's not quite a bye week for us but it's close.

Last night was a war because of Pittsburgh's QB situation. Baltimore has been burned by the big play and the Steelers big play guy didn't play. I have said this often in these threads but I expect to beat these teams by making them pay defensively for their aggressiveness and making enough big plays to win. Allowing long drives and double digit play drives is not what Baltimore is about.

We have the firepower Pittsburgh could not present last night. Losing Ben played right into the Ravens hand and I certainly don't fear their offense which has only averaged 17 points a game the last five.

I expect to win the game. A hard hitting tough game but a win.
"The train is leaving the station."
Fan Shout
dhazer (4h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (5h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (5h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (21h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
34m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.