longtimefan
14 years ago

296 out of 1700 leaves out a lot when you consider what you're measuring. Too many variables to intelligently state 296 out of 1700 is a HUGE sample.

These are current players, are they back ups or starters, what team, age?
Position AND age of player? (example, QB's wont want to come here to be a backup and CB's would want to because Woodson and Harris are aging)

Theres too many variables that dictate why a player would or would not want to play for another team as well as how the question was presented.

If you were cut, what team would you least likely to play for (based on the city)?

If this is solely based on the City, I'd agree that its a good sample because the team and roster are irrelevant then.

Edit, The title of this thread and the title of the poll are different.
Topic : Players do not want to play in Green Bay
Poll : WHICH NFL TEAM WOULD YOU LEAST LIKE TO PLAY FOR?

"oskarliminga" wrote:

Sorry Zero, but you're wrong.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

You seriously think that a player that wants to start as a q/b will come here?

That was Zeros point...

what if the poll asked that type of player, would that poll be skewed then?

Put it this way...Do you think any f/a q/b that wanted to start would have come here when Brett was in his prime?
earthquake
14 years ago
Every team has entrenched starters, i dont think that it is somehow biased because GB has a franchise QB or amazing CB's, most teams have very good players.

% Wise 296 of 1700 is quite a lot, it would be cool to know a little more about who is voting for what, however. 17% is a huge sample for any poll, it may be a small amount of players, but relative to the size of the league it is far from small. Sure if the league was 170,000, then 296 its a tiny sample. 296 is about 17%, most polls conducted, even polls predicting who will be the next president are far far less, so its hard to say its not a large %. I think saying otherwise is disagreeing with the "idea" of polling, moreso than anything else, which isnt unreasonable, as personally i feel most polls are pure BS. =)

However, i dont think that there is any secret that players arent beating down the door to play in GB, its the smallest market in the league, so i'm not surprised at all by the poll. I would have figured a little better than some teams, but not entirely surprised.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Straight up numbers, yes, nearly 300 is a lot out of just under 1800.

My point is, what players were questioned and how was the question presented? To me, that limits the integrity of the sample.

If a team is rebuilding, older players won't want to go there unless they see immediate success (see Jason T, Tony G, etc).

Oskar, What am I wrong about and how am I wrong when you're not even grasping what I'm trying to explain? Am I going too deep into this for you to follow and doing a poor job of explaining the depth? I tend to do that at times.

Edit, LTF gets it. Earth, I'm not surprised either because it's been like that for decades. I live in Green Bay, I hear about it all of the time. "theres nothing to do, no hopping clubs, gotta drive to milw for a good hair cut, its cold!!!" ... Green Bay will NEVER be a hot spot for players and hasn't been. Any big name free agent that has came here, had to be convinced by several people to come and even then they were skeptical. And knowing and understanding this is why I've said for a few years now that this is where Ted fails because he's not a salesman and fails to sell the marketable aspects of playing in and for Green Bay.

One of my points. The result of this poll is not a result of Ted Thompson, it's something that's been labeled on Green Bay for a long time.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
A point is not irrelevant or incoherent simply because you can't follow along with it.

And yes, obviously this was a poll of NFL Players. Where have you been? We know that.

As the poll states, the Packers are one of the least favorable teams for those 296 (which represent nearly 2000 NFL players with practice squad) who answered the question. As I said, it's not a surprise as its been that way for decades. This isn't something new.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago
This is why sometimes I stay out of crap like this..

People just can not or will not understand

If a player wants to start he is 99.9999% sure he will never start in GB with Rodgers here..So when when this player is asked do you want to go to GB he will say no.. How many q/b did they ask? what if they asked 5? or 50?

What if a CB wants to start he wont come here cuz he knows Woodson and Al ( at the time of the poll) had those locked up

What if they asked Wr that want to be a #1 or a #2...Knowing Dd and Greg have those locked up why would they come here?

Does that shed more light on it now?

We just dont know the positions that were asked...Now say they asked 50 of those position players...Skews it a little huh?
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Am I the only one who finds it a little depressing that this is by far the most active thread we have on the forum right now?
UserPostedImage
earthquake
14 years ago

This is why sometimes I stay out of crap like this..

People just can not or will not understand

If a player wants to start he is 99.9999% sure he will never start in GB with Rodgers here..So when when this player is asked do you want to go to GB he will say no.. How many q/b did they ask? what if they asked 5? or 50?

What if a CB wants to start he wont come here cuz he knows Woodson and Al ( at the time of the poll) had those locked up

What if they asked Wr that want to be a #1 or a #2...Knowing Donald Driver and Greg have those locked up why would they come here?

Does that shed more light on it now?

We just dont know the positions that were asked...Now say they asked 50 of those position players...Skews it a little huh?

"longtimefan" wrote:

Again, every team has talented players, so this sort of thing weeds itself out naturally. Sure some teams have more talent than others, but if this theory had merit you would see teams like indy and new england near the bottom, because players are unlikely to go there and become starters.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Am I the only one who finds it a little depressing that this is by far the most active thread we have on the forum right now?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Nope.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Nope.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I am. It gets almost Brent Farvian in the way it divides the posters. And it gets so far off topic from time to time.

I think it has gotten to the point of :horse:
My intent was to ask:
Since there is and always has been a lack of interest on the palyers part to come to GB (even though they are wrong in their way of thinking) what do we as fans think GB (Uncle Teddy) should do to overcome the player's mind set? We seldom discuss that issue.

I wish the thread was locked and we move on to a real Packers topic.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

My intent was to ask:
Since there is and always has been a lack of interest on the palyers part to come to GB (even though they are wrong in their way of thinking) what do we as fans think GB (Uncle Teddy) should do to overcome the player's mind set? We seldom discuss that issue.

I wish the thread was locked and we move on to a real Packers topic.

"wpr" wrote:

IMO, this is very much a Packer related topic. While some of the back and forth has gotten a little chippy the point remains that this is how we are viewed by the very men that fill the roster spots.

Part of successful planning and implementation of said plan for any organization is to have a brutally honest view of whom you are and where your organization is at. No bullshit or fluff.. bare bones brutally honest assessment.

Then you go from there... in this case, we all know that for the better part of the post merger days, Green Bay has been viewed as an outpost to the NFL.. for the last decade or so, maybe the perception was a a bit different but more so because of the players here than anything else.

That doesn't mean Green Bay is any less of a location.. it is all about perception. I lived there on two stints, from 90-94 and from 98-2000... as far as a city goes, it is one of the better ones I have lived in..

Anywho.. once players get to Green Bay, they often don't leave because of the city or the way of life here. And it is most definitely not because of the organization itself. Sure there are a few players that clash with someone in the organization, but that isn't exclusive to Ted and Co. as well. But that is a different topic for a different thread.

So what do we think we know?

* Green Bay is a fine place to live and play ball, based on the players comments that play here.

* The perception is different from the outside looking in.

* This is nothing new to the franchise or its fans.

So how does a franchise respond?

Just like we have, built through the draft and sign players on the free agent market that actually want to play here. Maybe Ted has taken it an extra step by deciding not to overpay for players whom in their heart might not really want to be here.

I think if you look at it from a realistic stance, cut out all the other emotional bullshit, you get to the heart of why we have decided to operate the way we do.

Draft a player from college that is eager to prove themselves no matter where it is located, develop them, and once they realize that Green Bay is a fine place to live and play ball, we re-ink them and keep them as part of the franchise. In addition, invest in free agent players that want to become part of the Packers and it is a fit both in player and salary.

Now Ted and Co. can't come out and admit that maybe this is why we operate the way we do, because that would be invalid criticism to the Green Bay community as a whole.

But reality is reality.. and if you realize it, then you can properly plan to be successful in spite of it.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"