Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
After reading this story and hearing about the kid under the face mask, I want this kid to shine the remainder of the season. Yes for the good of the team, but also to vindicate the kid personally.

Jarrett go out and do your thing.. hopefully well for the Packers.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/73146002.html 

Green Bay Do an online search for his name and it won't take you long to find it.

It's even quicker on Twitter.

There is no disputing that when it comes to the Green Bay Packers, the player the fans most love to hate is cornerback Jarrett Bush. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers may be picked over more, but no one is scorned more than Bush. It's not even close.

Apprised of this on Tuesday, Bush seemed surprised.

"Really?" he said, wide-eyed.

"If they do, I can't really say anything about it. Their opinion is their opinion. I just hope one day they'll think different of me because I don't really know any reason why they hate me. I just have to prove them wrong basically."

Bush will get his chance starting on Thursday against the Detroit Lions.

With starting cornerback Al Harris out the rest of the season with a knee injury, the capable Tramon Williams slides into the starter's role. That means either Bush or raw rookie Brandon Underwood will play in the nickel package the Packers have used about 60% of the time this season.

Bush played the nickel Sunday in the Packers' victory over the San Francisco 49ers. It's likely he'll continue to against the Lions. That means Packers fans and opponents will see a lot more of Bush in the final six games of the season, for better or for worse.

"I had to wait my time; now it's my opportunity to show what I can do," Bush said. "I definitely want to show those people that I can play. It's unfortunate that I need to prove that, but I've got to go out there and prove it to them. That's what I have to do."

If Bush really thought about it, he'd understand.

There are the penalties - 18 in 56 games as a part-time player since he was signed before the 2006 season after being waived by the Carolina Panthers in training camp.

There are also the poor ball skills as a defensive back that led Bush give up more than his share of big plays and touchdowns. On Sunday against the 49ers, Bush surrendered a 29-yard reception to tight end Vernon Davis when he failed to get his head around and play the ball.

And then there's the bad luck in big spots. Like the punt late last season that bounced off Bush's leg that set up a touchdown by the Chicago Bears. And the fumbled punt he failed to pick up (and not smother) with just over two minutes left in the 2007 NFC Championship game against the New York Giants.

The thing about Bush is that as a person, he's one of the nicest and most unassuming Packers. He's got a big smile that instantly warms strangers, and he's one of the most active players in the community.

So in a sense, Bush is almost the Charlie Brown of the Packers. You want to root for the guy. But as hard as he may try, the ball always seems to be just out of reach. Or yellow flags are thrown.

"Yeah, (fans) see the big picture, but it's football," Bush said. "You're going to make mistakes. Things are going to happen that you don't want to happen. Sometimes things just happen. I feel like I'm just now getting back into the defensive scheme. It's just a matter of time for me to break out."

It's not as though Bush hasn't had chances before. He opened the 2007 season as the nickel back but was benched in November when Williams proved to be better. Bush has played only in emergency situations and the dime package since.

"I feel like I'm faster, stronger and smarter," Bush said. "Sitting behind Al and (Charles Woodson) you learn a lot. That's an understatement. I'm much older, much more mature, know how to handle different situations and adversity, especially on the football field."

Fans thought they were rid of Bush in the off-season when the Tennessee Titans, who like five other teams thought highly of his special teams play and upside on defense, signed him to an offer sheet as a restricted free agent. But general manager Ted Thompson, much to the dismay of fans, matched it in order to retain Bush. Bush now has a chance to show whether Thompson made a wise move.

"I thought them matching the offer and me being on the team and playing to the best that I can, regardless of where, I'm playing is repaying the faith of Ted Thompson," Bush said. "I mean, he wanted me here for a reason."

In Bush's defense, he converted from wide receiver to cornerback as a junior in college. And the Packers have made him wear a lot of hats. Not only does he play on all the special teams, but he's been asked to learn safety as well.

"I've been pleased with the way Jarrett's been progressing," said cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt. "There's nothing wrong with being a special teams guy because he's dang good at it. But it's an opportunity for the whole room (of cornerbacks) to keep our level at the same level. It's not about Jarrett Bush. It's not about Charles Woodson. It's about the group, the secondary, the defense playing as a unit, playing well.

"Are we going to go out there and say Jarrett Bush is going to go out there and win games for us? No, we're just going to go out there and help contribute to this defense for this defense to win games. That's what it's all about. I'm not putting any extra pressure on Jarrett, Brandon and those guys. Now, they're going to have to play at a high level. But are we going to lose games because of him? No. That's not going to happen. Hopefully we'll win games because I think he's a solid player."

Bush better be, because the fans will be watching - and judging - more than ever now.

http://www.packers.com/team/players/bush_jarrett/ 

> Community involvement: Has participated in the Edgar Bennett Celebrity Bowl-A-Thon, the Al Harris Stars and Strikes Celebrity Bowling Event, and the Brett Favre Celebrity Softball Game

> Has visited with cancer patients and spoken to students at hometown high school about the importance of education and overcoming adversity

> Also attended a Halloween party for at-risk kids of the Pals Program and their mentors

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
14 years ago
I'll just go ahead and bend over RFN.

He is gonna boar-hog me, as a fan.
TheEngineer
14 years ago

But are we going to lose games because of him? No. That's not going to happen.

Famous last words there.
blank
Greg C.
14 years ago
Well, he's wearing the green and gold, so I wish him the best. Seems like a good guy. I've just never seen much out of him in terms of ball skills. He's sort of like Ahmad Carroll in that way. I think it's unfair for the writer to blame him for the Vernon Davis TD, but he did give up a lot of catches when he was the nickel in '07, and he had poor coverage on that one TD in Tampa a few weeks ago.
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago
This is an absolutely amazing article. I'd give Bedard a +20 right now if I could.

I love him as a person and I'm quite happy with him as a ST player, but he just doesn't appear to be made for the corner position. Like the article states, he can stick to guys, but he doesn't play the ball. It's annoying to see him within a feet of his man, but just let the ball slip through, never seeing it coming.

I hope that he'll prove that he's a better player than he's shown.
DakotaT
14 years ago
How come blame is always assigned to the DB and the quarterback is sitting back there in his cradle of comfort. Bring the Effen heat all the time, even with a 20 point lead.

I would much rather lose knocking the quarterback down while he barely gets the ball off than letting him sit back there all day rushing 3 guys who never get whiff.

Letting NFL quarterbacks have target practice is just stupid. The two Vikings games this year were just appalling.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
14 years ago
Welp, it is a shock that he couldn't believe people were upset about his play. On-field and off-field are two different situations though. If he is a player like he says he is, its time to show the fans and your teammates.

-no more dumb penalties.
-no more blowing pass coverage.

Its good that players reach out to the community but that doesn't cover up horrendous on-field play IMO. Prove me wrong like the others have been doing recently Bush...please do so.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I was high on Bush when I learned how high the Panthers were on him and how upset they were at the Packers for plucking him up.

He does seem like a high character guy, hopefully he can play lights out for us!!
UserPostedImage
RajiRoar
14 years ago
[flag=us] high charicter, low skills = ST player

we need someone better than bush in our nickle. unless he explodes into a decent backup we better pray someone else does

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
wils0646
14 years ago
Well, him and Underwood better not make this mistake again:

http://vimeo.com/7816858 
The Pack Will Be Back.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (21h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (21h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.