dfosterf
14 years ago
Link 

Mike Vandermause column: Painful second half sours Green Bay Packers' big win
November 22, 2009

It should have gone down as a resounding, confidence-boosting performance that placed the Green Bay Packers smack-dab in the middle of the NFC playoff picture.

Instead, the Packers hung on for dear life to claim a 30-24 victory over the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday at Lambeau Field, and a dark cloud hovers over the team with the likely loss of defensive starters Al Harris and Aaron Kampman for the rest of the season with serious knee injuries.

It ruined what had been shaping up as a perfect late-November day for the Packers.

They were dominating the 49ers from stem to stern on a gloriously sunny, 53-degree afternoon. They built a 20-point halftime lead with uncanny ease. The offense rolled up an astounding 362 total yards in the first two quarters, while the defense held the 49ers to minus-7 yards passing and one first down.

The rout was on, and the Packers were beginning to resemble a major NFC postseason player.

Then, with a resounding thud, those hopes crashed and burned in the second half when first Kampman, and then Harris, sustained what is believed to be season-ending knee injuries.

One play after Kampman was carted to the locker room in the third quarter, the 49ers scored their first touchdown. Two plays after Harris went down in a heap early in the fourth quarter, the 49ers scored their second touchdown. On the next series, the 49ers scored another touchdown to turn what had been a 30-10 rout into a nail-biter.

It was no coincidence the wheels came off the defensive wagon once Kampman and Harris departed. Assuming they are lost for good, it doesnt bode well for the rest of the season.

The Packers face the grim prospect of trotting out Jarrett Bush as their nickel back and rookie Brandon Underwood as the next-best cornerback option. Opposing quarterbacks are salivating over the prospect of padding their passing stats at the expense of the Packers.

If Alex Smith, one of the worst starting quarterbacks in the NFL, can light up the wounded Packers defense, whats going to happen when Joe Flacco, Ben Roethlisberger, Jay Cutler and Kurt Warner get their hands on the ball over the final six weeks of the season?

When asked if the injuries put a damper on the victory, quarterback Aaron Rodgers replied: You never want to see one of your guys go down, especially those two guys who are a big part of not only our defense but our locker room, our leadership and stuff.

Considering their plight, the Packers might have to rely on Rodgers and the offense to win some shootouts in the coming weeks.

The offensive line and running game sparkled, and the return of tight end Jermichael Finley from injury gave Rodgers the freedom to open things up.

In the end, it was the offense that won the game when the Packers were on the verge of staging a second-half collapse on par with the debacle against Tampa Bay two weeks ago.

The Packers held the ball for the final 5 minutes, 56 seconds with a gutty display of in-your-face football. They ran off 10 plays, picked up two first downs and never gave the 49ers the ball back.

Thats what football is all about, tackle Mark Tauscher said. Weve been much maligned, but I think when were able to finish that game off, that obviously is going to help us build confidence.

The offense will need all the confidence it can get. With the defense badly wounded, someone will have to pick up the slack.
Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

This article does a good job of identifying some of the source of my discontent. I suppose I should be in a good mood today. Sadly, I think I felt better going into this game than coming out of it.

I don't think any of us could say with any kind of certainty that we have a contender for a football team. Personally, I had hoped so, but honestly did not think so. These injuries are increasing the (already strong) likelihood that we are going to fail this season.

It isn't that I think Al Harris, at this point in time, is such a net asset as an individual football player. To me, he was an acceptable cog in the machine. To me, Tramon is on par with Al-- Different pluses, different minuses, but all things weighed, the position itself has not suffered badly, if at all.

But then there is Bush and the rest of the equation in that puzzle. I not only smell trouble, I have seen more than ample evidence that there will be serious problems in that arena. I know some are thinking and hoping that Bush has come around under Dom Capers.

Maybe, but I still submit that you can't fix stupid. Sorry, I'ts how I feel about him.

Kampy has been an enigma most of the year. I know his stats, and the argument is strong that no one is going to replace a Kampy. I have yet to hear anyone remind anyone that he is playing the "glamor" position for a 3-4 pass rush. If it is true that the DL are the grinders in order to free up the OLB's--and I think they are... it is entirely possible that someone else...unheralded, mind you...will be able to come in and perform in that role as able as Kampy. I give that a legitimate chance, crystal-ball-wise.

The discussion has already started about what to do with those two next year, I'm not going there. I just wanted to explain why I have this strong sense of "sadness" or "discontent" following a must-win football game that I should probably be thrilled to have watched my team in fact win.

This article and my commentary goes a good part of the way in explaining some of the apprehension going forward...with this year's team, much less, the future.

It is a net sad day for me.
14 years ago
A win is a win is a win. The injuries are unfortunate, but it's something every team has to deal with. The last two weeks we've beaten a Cowboys team trying to hold onto the division lead in the rabid NFC East, and a San Fran team trying to hold on to their playoff hopes. Vandermause needs to smoke some weed or something. He's such a damn downer.
UserPostedImage
dyeah_gb
14 years ago
I am also a bit disappointed about how we did not dominate for 60 min but consider the positives.

1. We face the lions on Thursday. If there ever was a team to sample new defensive personnel this would be the one.

2. We get nearly a second bye week before facing the Ravens who (unfortunately for Suggs) have had some critical injuries to some of their personnel. This game will be key for our wild card chances.

We needed to win against the 9'ers and we did. I don't think we should underestimate the 49ers as a decent team either. They fought hard in the last 30 min and did not roll over.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
14 years ago
"It ruined what had been shaping up as a perfect late-November day for the Packers."

glad i'm not the only one. i couldn't even muster up the excitement to watch highlights of the game after we imploded like assholes in the second half.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

warhawk
14 years ago
Yeah, well whatever. Every team has to deal with stuff.

Baltimore just played Indy, has to play the Steelers next week who just lost a game they should have won, then they travel to Lambeau, and Romo took Suggs out for several weeks whose huge for their D.

So you think anybody over there is crying us a river?

San Francisco came in healthier than us, more rested than us, needing that win badly, with a head coach that has NEVER quit on anything ever and people whine because the second half didn't go great.
"The train is leaving the station."
14 years ago
Dennis Dixon could be starting for Pittsburgh at QB. Talk about an "injury bug". I see Baltimore winning that game.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Dennis Dixon could be starting for Pittsburgh at QB. Talk about an "injury bug". I see Baltimore winning that game.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

The Steelers are currently talking to FA QBs. One of them is Cleo Lemon.

Yes, you read it right, Cleo Lemon might just be back!
porky88
14 years ago
The 49ers were more responsible for coming back than the Packers letting them back in. I think San Francisco is a resilient football team. They played Minnesota, Houston, and Indianapolis close so I wasn't shocked to see them make it a game even after the fast start by Green Bay.

The defense is in a tough spot now, but my worries isn't about replacing Harris and Kampman, but rather the nickel back stepping in for Tramon Williams who now has to replace Harris. I'd go after Jarrett Bush or Brandon Underwood if I were opposing quarterbacks.

San Fran didn't do that. They threw it up to their soon to be Pro Bowl TE and he made the play. They threw it up to their future star WR and he made the play. I think reporters and fans search for perfection way too much. This was a good win no matter what, that resulted in some tough injuries, but the play on the field was suberb IMO.
14 years ago
give me a break. last year the 9'ers were a "bad to mediocre" team with a chance to become "good" with new players and Mike Singletary. i've seen enough of the 9'ers this year that i didn't go into this game thinking they were a "great" team but an "ok" team which may be learning. so far they've been not bad, not good but ok. certainly not "great". so to say that we didn't inadvertently throw in the towel at some point is to say that we are also not "great" but merely ok enough to compete. and THAT...THAT i am not fucking content with.

gee, sorry.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Twinkie, you have issues. You're always complaining about something or other. What? 64 yard touch down drive? It should have been 69 if it weren't for the false start, wahh wahh.

I fear an ulcer is in your future my friend.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (55m) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (55m) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (5h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (5h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (6h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
34m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.