British
14 years ago
Should our President have kept his mouth shut?

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-Quinn-needs-playing-time.html 

Rob Demovsky of the Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that Packers president Mark Murphy said Monday hes disappointed with the teams 4-4 start, especially Sundays shocking loss at Tampa Bay, and wants to make sure changes are made. The former NFL player turned executive, who took over the Packers in January 2008, believes the season can be salvaged. He also may have put head coach Mike McCarthy on notice. Were 4-4 halfway through the season, Murphy said, and I think we can still have a successful year just making sure that we make the changes that are necessary to get us to that point.

I thought the job of the Packers president was to be seen and not heard. I dont remember former Packers president Bob Harlan ever speaking about the football team directly to the media. I might be wrong, and all loyal Packers readers are welcome to correct me, but from my vantage point, the team president doesnt have to state the obvious. Mark Murphy appears that he wants to be more involved in the football part of the program as the new president. Anyone other than the head coach talking to the media can send the wrong message to the fan base as evidenced by Murphys comments.

What changes would Murph like the Packers to make? Does he really understand the problems? I highly doubt it, and the way to create bad blood in an organization is to say something that makes no sense when you have no idea what youre saying. Im fairly confident that the Packers coaches are cynical about these comments.

There was a reason Bob Harlan never addressed football issues during the season.

UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago
Word is starting to trickle out that the executive board is now dipping their hands in to the football pool side..In years past they NEVER did...

Like say who to cut and who to keep...Who to hire to defend the Packers...

Non meddling board = Packers winning

Board that wants to meddle = Packers losing?
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
I think yes, it is to the point where he needed to say something. It is not just McCarthy, Thompson who have jobs that depend on how the team does.

Murphy would be considered the Owner if GB was a normal owned team. Only unlike an owner, Murphy can be canned.

Maybe we will be lucky and McCarthy will listen and turn things around, or the team will get the picture and play better to save McCarthy from himself.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
Harlan took over The Packers in 1991, The Packer organization as a whole was not a "winner".

Harlans job, IMHO, was to build a winning organization where there had not been on for over 2 decades.

He hired Ron Wolf, and Wolf did his thing and(making a long story short) The Packer organization turned into a winner once again.

My point is Harlan's situation was completely different, he didn't have to be vocal, because the team was succesful.

Murphy's tenure hasn't been one of winning and for him to say he is not happy, IMHO is not a problem.

Someone has to hold these guys accountable for their failures, if Murphy doesn't, then he just might be the guy that gets the axe if this year turns out bad.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
14 years ago
somebody needed to say something
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

somebody needed to say something

"cheeseheads123" wrote:

That's actually a pretty decent point.

Like WhiskeySam stated in the draft thread, Wolf would give entire press conferences and what not and said what he felt was happening. And he acted swiftly.

Thompson and McCarthy, on the other hand, talk a whole lot, but never actually say anything. I think that this is the most concrete thing we've heared out of a Packers staff members so far.

And no, I'm not hating, I like TT.
mi_keys
14 years ago
I have no problem with him saying something. It's not like he tipped his hand on what he's planning to do, he just said the performance has to be better. There's nothing atypical about that. I don't even think it means the board is meddling, because I've heard nothing of the sort. In fact, if anything I've heard McCarthy was having a higher role in personnel decisions (such as with Anthony Smith). If things don't improve the board, and Mark Murphy should be thinking about what staff changes need to be made, if any.
Born and bred a cheesehead
nerdmann
14 years ago
Yeah, the fans were way too pissed off, and rightfully so. The coach got the dreaded word of approval by the team president. Never a good thing.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
14 years ago

Someone has to hold these guys accountable for their failures

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

this.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

warhawk
14 years ago

Harlan took over The Packers in 1991, The Packer organization as a whole was not a "winner".

Harlans job, IMHO, was to build a winning organization where there had not been on for over 2 decades.

He hired Ron Wolf, and Wolf did his thing and(making a long story short) The Packer organization turned into a winner once again.

My point is Harlan's situation was completely different, he didn't have to be vocal, because the team was succesful.

Murphy's tenure hasn't been one of winning and for him to say he is not happy, IMHO is not a problem.

Someone has to hold these guys accountable for their failures, if Murphy doesn't, then he just might be the guy that gets the axe if this year turns out bad.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

I don't like asking questions when I don't know the answer but without looking it up how many years was it from the time Wolf came in until the team was a bonafide winner?
"The train is leaving the station."
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (11h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (16h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
24m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.