xavierlee9
14 years ago
I just hate this type of playcalling. I always have. Especially what we did with it. A funny looking play action that the vikes didn't fall for. You know why they didn't fall for it?..Because why the heck else would we be in gun if we weren't passing?..Jeez. Where's the full house backfield there?..Or something. Maybe a rollout and give Aaron an option. Or heck, pound the dang thing for a yard. No wonder the OL has no confidence. You're going spread on 3rd and 1 on your own side of the field.
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago
It's like you took the word out of my mouth. I wrote the same thing in a different thread. I know why he did it though. He was trying to be cute.

GB has ran on 3rd and one a couple of times this year including last week on their first 3rd and one against Cleveland. They ran with I believe Brandon Jackson.

McCarthy knew Minnesota saw that on film and he thought he could fool them.

Not so much.
xavierlee9
14 years ago
What the heck is Ahman even here for?..It seems like 3rd and short is made for him. He dang sure ain't made for KR.
UserPostedImage
evad04
14 years ago
Ugh. If it freaking works, we don't doubt the playcall. The fact is between both contests we ran the draw -- and in the first matchup we did so effectively. That means EXACTLY in a situation like 3rd and 1 that the draw is a distinct possibility. Minnesota didn't fall for it and Rodgers had nowhere to go about it. That doesn't mean it wasn't a good call.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
xavierlee9
14 years ago
Uh..And if I had one more number right on my lottery ticket, I'd be rich. What's your point?..I hate going spread on third and short in ALL situations. It's just plain trying too hard. Take the big back you brought back for THIS TYPE OF SITUATION...and run him twice. If you can't get a yard in those two plays..You lose. oh well.
UserPostedImage
doddpower
14 years ago

Ugh. If it freaking works, we don't doubt the playcall. The fact is between both contests we ran the draw -- and in the first matchup we did so effectively. That means EXACTLY in a situation like 3rd and 1 that the draw is a distinct possibility. Minnesota didn't fall for it and Rodgers had nowhere to go about it. That doesn't mean it wasn't a good call.

"evad04" wrote:

I agree. If it doesn't work, it's not a good call. Vikings didn't fall for it. A good call or good coaching would have called something that they would have fallen for.

One play doesn't mean the coaches aren't good, it just means that the other coaches were better on that particular call, because, the play didn't work.
porky88
14 years ago
A lot of factors go into a play call, but percentages play a big role IMO.

I would be willing to say the percentage of getting a first down on 3rd and one is greater if you run the ball than if you play action out of shot gun....

Even play action out of a regular formation a full house set or i-formation.

That play was a very strange call. I get what he was doing, but sometimes you need to respect your opponents 'intelligence too. Not sure he did that. Against bad teams who are usually over aggressive and undisciplined, that play probably works, but against a very very good team, that play mostly doesn't.
djcubez
14 years ago
With our run game and running back I would be a lot more comfortable passing it. Now a play-action that's not out of gun probably would have been more suitable. In all honesty though I would just QB sneak it. It's probably the highest percentage play in that situation. I remember seeing a coach do that a few weeks ago, I think it was Josh McDaniels. They were driving and had a 3rd and 1 in the 4th quarter I believe and instead of messing around he just had Orton line up and snap it instantly and go forward giving the defense no time to really prepare for it. I liked that call a lot.
TengoJuego
14 years ago

With our run game and running back I would be a lot more comfortable passing it.

"djcubez" wrote:

Really? Our run game that didn't exist? We ran the ball something like 15 times. 5 of the carries were Aaron Scrambling.
djcubez
14 years ago

With our run game and running back I would be a lot more comfortable passing it.

"TengoJuego" wrote:

Really? Our run game that didn't exist? We ran the ball something like 15 times. 5 of the carries were Aaron Scrambling.

"djcubez" wrote:

Because we can't run it. We failed so badly running in the first half and did much better when we did run. I'm just saying the Vikings defensive line would probably have collapsed the line before Grant could get out of backfield. Aaron on a bootleg gives him a pass/run option or a QB sneak means we don't have to risk getting pulled down in the backfield.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

4h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

6h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

10h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

10h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

19h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

20h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.