dfosterf
14 years ago
All the BF returns to Lambeau drama is fine, but mostly irrelevant bullshit.

We have (and as of this writing Sun AM) and will have...plenty of hype, highlights, etc. to get us to kickoff.

Will he get booed? Yes, of course! No, he will not! Boo him! No! No! No!

Who gives a fuck?

We need to beat these assholes. Not for legacies, revenge, proving who is right or wrong, insert reason here.

Our season is on the line, this game. This is a must win. The pressure is on us. Vandermause hit pretty close to what is at stake, here. I disagree with some of the ramifications that he is stating in the article, but that is not the same as saying that they will not be brought up by many amongst the fanbase.

I don't give a shit about all that either. I just want to win this goddamned game.

Maybe I just should say that MY season is on the line.

The article:

The stakes are oh-so-high 

Mike Vandermause column: Stakes are high for Green Bay Packers vs. Minnesota Vikings
By Mike Vandermause October 31, 2009

The specter of Brett Favre returning to Lambeau Field dressed in purple has so dominated the local landscape that one important fact has been overlooked.
Sunday marks the Green Bay Packers most significant regular-season game in more than a decade. If the buildup to the Packers showdown with the Minnesota Vikings has the feel of a playoff game, maybe thats because its as close as you can possibly get to the postseason in early November.

Theres more at stake here than one person coming back to a stadium, Packers linebacker Aaron Kampman said. This is huge for both organizations in terms of the NFC North, not for any other story line. Whos going to take control of the NFC North? Thats the story line for us. If we win, we get back to where we want to be.

Win, and the Packers put themselves in a virtual tie for the division lead.

Win, and the Packers confidence will soar heading into a challenging second half of the season.

Win, and the Packers become one of the prime contenders to challenge New Orleans at the top of the NFC.

But for all the good things this game has to offer, the alternative could have devastating consequences.

Lose, and the Packers in effect fall three games behind the Vikings and can kiss their division title hopes goodbye.

Lose, and all the nagging early-season doubts will resurface.

Lose, and the Packers will be forced to play catch-up the rest of the season just to earn a wild-card berth.

Packers General Manager Ted Thompson has been methodically constructing this team for nearly five years, and this could be a defining moment in that development.

If the Vikings complete a season sweep of the Packers, Thompsons approach to building his roster will come under serious and justifiable scrutiny.

The free-spending Vikings dont think twice about throwing money and draft picks around to acquire veteran free agents. A second win over the Packers this season would assert their dominance and go a long way in proving their way is best.

A loss would send Thompson and the Packers scurrying to pick up the pieces. Building a team primarily through the draft and filling out the roster with a continuous flow of young talent has its merits. But if the Packers cant parlay that strategy into success in the standings, most notably within their division, then it would be time to reassess.

Thompson has acknowledged, through the signing of Mark Tauscher and Ahman Green, that more veteran reserves are needed on this team. Getting trumped twice by the Vikings would only reinforce that notion.

Nearly all the attention has been focused on Favre this past week, and theres no doubt his anxiety level will be high when he returns as an enemy to a place he once called home.

Thompson also will be on pins and needles, but not because he was the man responsible for trading Favre. That was a sound football decision, and nothing Favre does today will change that.

What Thompson must be held accountable for is the overall strength and depth of the team surrounding franchise quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

The least of the Packers worries is Rodgers. What this game will show is how the Packers stack up in other key areas, like their offensive line, running game and overall defense.

Win on Sunday, and all is right with the world as far as the Packers are concerned.

Lose at home against the Vikings, and Thompson will owe some explanations, and it will have nothing to do with the color of Favres jersey.
Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

agopackgo4
14 years ago
Very true. number one concern for this one. Win the game! Just like the last time they played. As soon as the kickoff starts, I will forget about Favre. And all I will see is hopefully Green and Gold beating purple and gold.
Gravedigga
14 years ago

Very true. number one concern for this one. Win the game! Just like the last time they played. As soon as the kickoff starts, I will forget about Favre. And all I will see is hopefully Green and Gold beating purple and gold.

"agopackgo4" wrote:

Nice avatar. I'm kind of conflicted today so i'll just say, i want to see a great game, very exciting, no injuries and hopefully a tie.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
El3ment12
14 years ago
I'm SO exited. This game is gonna be insane!
bozz_2006
14 years ago
I have that pit-in-my-stomach feeling that I always got before wrestling matches in high school. It's game time!
UserPostedImage
Gravedigga
14 years ago

I have that pit-in-my-stomach feeling that I always got before wrestling matches in high school. It's game time!

"bozz_2006" wrote:

i know. It sucks we have to wait till 4 o clock.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
bozz_2006
14 years ago
I hate when we have to wait until the late kick-off time!
UserPostedImage
LambeauEast
14 years ago

"bozz_2006" wrote:

I've never wrestled, but I feel it too!
UserPostedImage
British
14 years ago
It's a big game but not a must win.

The phrase 'must win' is the most over used in sport, used by the media and others to hype up games.

The nfc north wont be decided today. Favre is known to fail in the second half of the season. If he doesnt and the Vikings win the nfc north we could still get a wildcard in a weakish NFC.

Once in the playoffs anything is possible.

You dont win or lose a superbowl on November 1.

But of course, its a huge game.
UserPostedImage
dyeah_gb
14 years ago

It's a big game but not a must win.

The phrase 'must win' is the most over used in sport, used by the media and others to hype up games.

The nfc north wont be decided today. Favre is known to fail in the second half of the season. If he doesnt and the Vikings win the nfc north we could still get a wildcard in a weakish NFC.

Once in the playoffs anything is possible.

You dont win or lose a superbowl on November 1.

But of course, its a huge game.

"British" wrote:

I think Ray Lewis said it best when he stated "Every game is a must win"

I heard a radio announcer say that the Packers are "pretty good" and the Vikings are "really good". It is time to show we are a really good team.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (2h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (10h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (10h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (15h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (15h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (15h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.