Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

O's 'acne' horror story not true 

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Last Updated: 3:08 PM, September 29, 2009

WASHINGTON One of President Barack Obamas health care horror stories is about a woman who, he says, lost her health insurance on the verge of breast cancer surgery because she didnt disclose a case of acne to the insurer. Thats not what happened.

Robin Lynn Beaton, 59, of Waxahachie, Texas, indeed had her insurance suspended and then terminated when she needed it the most. Hers is a cautionary tale about how an insurance company can act in a seemingly arbitrary manner to revoke coverage for lifesaving treatment.

But not for the reasons Obama cites.

She was about to get a double mastectomy when her insurance company canceled her policy because she forgot to declare a case of acne, he said in one telling.

Beaton did not lose her insurance because she failed to own up to a skin problem in her past. She lost it because, when enrolling in the plan, she had not reported a previous heart condition and did not list her weight accurately.

Obama tells stories of real-life hardships repeatedly, in his speech to a joint session of Congress, in interviews and at his citizen meetings across the country in support of his campaign to rework medical insurance. Beatons case is just one cited by Obama that mixes fact with fiction.

In reflexively blaming insurance companies, Obama is playing into fears that have become a frightening reality for many Americans. Health insurance under the current system is not always the rock-solid guarantee you think youre paying for.

Especially, it turns out, when you dont fill everything out just right.

In Beatons case, the insurance company opened an investigation after her visit to a dermatologist and just before her scheduled breast cancer surgery, forcing postponement of her operation almost on the eve of it. The earlier problems on her enrollment form were discovered and her coverage was canceled.

To some lawmakers, thats outrageous enough never mind the acne story.

Rep. Joe Barton, Beatons Republican congressman in Texas, fought the insurer until it restored her coverage, enabling her to get the surgery 10 weeks after it was postponed. She told The Associated Press she owes Barton and his aides her life.

But somewhere along the way, Beatons case became a White House tale of an insurer canceling coverage because she forgot to report acne.

Its become a political imperative to find real-life examples of people helped or hurt by the issue of the day. People relate more easily to a story than to abstract policy.

But such stories often suffer in the retelling. Corners are cut, complicated situations made sound-bite simple.

It has long been so. Ronald Reagans welfare queen was a politically expedient exaggeration of a real case of welfare fraud. In last years presidential campaign, scrutiny revealed that Joe the Plumber was likely to benefit from Obamas tax plans, not be hurt by them as Republicans alleged.

Even in his painstakingly prepared speech to Congress, Obama got some material facts wrong.

He said an Illinois man died because his insurance company found an undisclosed case of gallstones in his past, canceled his insurance and delayed a stem-cell transplant for his cancer. The man did lose his insurance, but got it back retroactively and had treatment that his family says extended his life for nearly four years.

Beaton opened an antique shop after retiring as a nurse, and in December 2007 signed up for individual insurance from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas.

She says she thought nothing of a fast-heartbeat episode that had prompted an earlier doctors visit, and the resulting heart medication she stopped taking two years ago, and did not report that on the enrollment form.

The form asks applicants to list heart conditions and a wide variety of other conditions experienced in the past 10 years, any physician consultations in the last five years, any medication taken in the last year, and more.

Also, Beaton said in an interview, I wrote down like five pounds less than I weighed, joking thats the sort of mild rounding down that many women do. She is not obese.

In the spring of 2008, Beaton visited a dermatologist. My face began to break out, she said. All it was, truly, honestly, was pimples.

The doctor diagnosed mild rosacea, sometimes called adult acne, and seborrheic keratosis, a benign and common skin growth.

Beaton says the visit nevertheless raised a red flag because a notation in her records was misconstrued as meaning precancerous.

Beaton says shes convinced the acne is what started everything, meaning the insurance company scrutiny. Because shed had her insurance for months, the acne was not a pre-existing condition that could have imperiled her policy.

Whatever the case, her breast cancer diagnosis that quickly followed surely would have prompted a similar review of her files.

On the Friday before her cancer surgery, she was told her insurance company was opening the investigation and would not pay for her operation before that was concluded, she said. That suspended the surgery.

They searched high and low for a reason to cancel me, she said.

The insurer retrieved records from a cardiologist pointing to her unreported heart condition. Then, in an Aug. 22, 2008, letter, the company listed four questions it said she answered inaccurately on her form and a fifth that was insufficiently addressed.

As a result, wrote the insurer, your coverage is rescinded as of 12/04/07, the original effective date of your policy.

Bartons aides in Texas and Washington had been trying to get Beatons insurance restored since its suspension in July, without success. But five days after it was finally canceled, Barton called the company president directly, said the lawmakers spokesman, Sean Brown.

Among the points raised: The possibility of a news conference drawing attention to the case. Barton also said he might name a bill after Robin Beaton.

Four hours later, Barton said, he got a call saying her insurance would be reinstated.

The lawmaker acknowledges Beaton misreported her weight and did not disclose a prior heart problem. But it was wrong, he said, for her coverage to be canceled when she desperately needed treatment for a disease unrelated to those matters.

To be denied coverage right before potentially lifesaving surgery quite frankly is something that no human being should have to undergo, he said.

Barton is a conservative who is no fan of Obamas health care plans. Still, hes pushing legislation to preserve insurance for people like Beaton when they need treatment for a serious illness thats not related to undisclosed conditions on their sign-up form.

Beaton had her surgery in October 2008, by which time, she said, her tumor had tripled in size.

Clinging to her restored insurance, she is undergoing regular chemotherapy and says she needs back surgery, hip replacement and another round of breast reconstruction.

UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago
When I first read the title I thought Obama had started to do late night TV infomercials for ProActive.
blank
Porforis
14 years ago
Gee, if you want to prevent health insurance companies from terminating coverage from people for X reason, why don't you regulate that rather than blowing everything up? Oh, right. This is government we're talking about, they either do nothing or ten times too much.
Cheesey
14 years ago

Gee, if you want to prevent health insurance companies from terminating coverage from people for X reason, why don't you regulate that rather than blowing everything up? Oh, right. This is government we're talking about, they either do nothing or ten times too much.

"Porforis" wrote:

GREAT point!

But thats government for you. If they think they can "use" a story, facts have NOTHING to do with it. They will say whatever they want, and HOPE that no one bothers to check out if it's true or not.
Typical.
The sad part is, people will keep spreading the lies all around as if it were true, just to get what "they" want.
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago

When I first read the title I thought Obama had started to do late night TV infomercials for ProActive.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

When I first read the title, I thought Obama was lying about having serious acne when he younger. lol I'm like.. Who cares? It's acne..
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Porforis
14 years ago

"Formo" wrote:

When I first read the title, I thought Obama was lying about having serious acne when he younger. lol I'm like.. Who cares? It's acne..

"TheEngineer" wrote:

But Obama can cure acne, as well as cure Chuck Norris! He's just that awesome!
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Jennings simply says the word, and the acne disappears.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
You know what you call a pimple on a Vikings fan's butt????

A brain tumor!!!LOLOL!!!
(Sorry Formo and our other Viking fans!)LOLOL!!!
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago
the health care refrom needs to be taken very seriously and the right choices need to be made IMO

everything isnt a bed of roses here in the land of 'free' health care england

IMO - service is pretty poor, wait times are huge, and the right treatment is even poorer.

when comparing england to the US its like do you go with a health care system where they dont care or do you go with a place where the insurance companies are just after the bottom line and where you may not even be able to be seen

some kind of compromise IMO ...
Porforis
14 years ago

the health care refrom needs to be taken very seriously and the right choices need to be made IMO

everything isnt a bed of roses here in the land of 'free' health care england

IMO - service is pretty poor, wait times are huge, and the right treatment is even poorer.

when comparing england to the US its like do you go with a health care system where they dont care or do you go with a place where the insurance companies are just after the bottom line and where you may not even be able to be seen

some kind of compromise IMO ...

"Dulak" wrote:

Nevermind that the most profitable health insurance company in the nation barely nudged out Jack in the Box. The greed of health insurance companies is extremely exaggerated.

I hate bringing in Fox News as a source, but I suppose they're just as biased as any other media outlet.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10/26/fact-check-health-insurers-profits-fat/ 

THE NUMBERS:

Health insurers posted a 2.2 percent profit margin last year, placing them 35th on the Fortune 500 list of top industries. As is typical, other health sectors did much better -- drugs and medical products and services were both in the top 10.

The railroads brought in a 12.6 percent profit margin. Leading the list: network and other communications equipment, at 20.4 percent.

HealthSpring, the best performer in the health insurance industry, posted 5.4 percent. That's a less profitable margin than was achieved by the makers of Tupperware, Clorox bleach and Molson and Coors beers.

The star among the health insurance companies did, however, nose out Jack in the Box restaurants, which only achieved a 4 percent margin.

UnitedHealth Group, reporting third quarter results last week, saw fortunes improve. It managed a 5 percent profit margin on an 8 percent growth in revenue.

Van Hollen is right that premiums have more than doubled in a decade, according to a Kaiser Family Foundation study that found a 131 percent increase.

But were the Bush years golden ones for health insurers?

Not judging by profit margins, profit growth or returns to shareholders. The industry's overall profits grew only 8.8 percent from 2003 to 2008, and its margins year to year, from 2005 forward, never cracked 8 percent.

The latest annual profit margins of a selection of products, services and industries: Tupperware Brands, 7.5 percent; Yahoo, 5.9 percent; Hershey, 6.1 percent; Clorox, 8.7 percent; Molson Coors Brewing, 8.1 percent; construction and farm machinery, 5 percent; Yum Brands (think KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell), 8.5 percent.

Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

10h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.