Porforis
14 years ago
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d813c29ef&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true 

Goodell defends NFL policies on head injuries to Congress

WASHINGTON -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell would not acknowledge a connection between head injuries on the football field and later brain diseases while defending the league's policies on concussions before Congress.

Under sometimes-contentious questioning from lawmakers -- and suggestions about reconsidering the league's lucrative antitrust exemption -- Goodell sat at a witness table Wednesday alongside NFL Players Association head DeMaurice Smith.

Both men agreed to turn over players' medical records to the House Judiciary Committee.

Chairman John Conyers, D-Mich., asked Goodell whether he thinks there's an injury-disease link. Goodell responded that the NFL isn't waiting for that debate to play out and is taking steps to make the game safer.

"I just asked you a simple question. What is the answer?" persisted Conyers.

Goodell replied by saying a medical expert could give a better answer than he could.

Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., whose husband played in the NFL, asked Goodell how the league was addressing the welfare of retired players during current collective bargaining negotiations with the union.

Goodell said that it's a "priority for the owners and players to take better care of our retired players," but Waters cut him off, demanding specifics.

"We've heard from the NFL time and time again -- you're always 'studying,' you're always 'trying,' you're 'hopeful,'" Waters said, pointing a finger in Goodell's direction. "I want to know what are you doing ... to deal with these problems and other problems related to injuries?"

When Goodell said that talks between owners and players are in the early stages, Waters said it's time "for Congress to take a look at your antitrust exemption" and that she thinks it should be removed.

A 1961 law grants professional sports leagues antitrust exemption for broadcasting. That has allowed the NFL to sign TV contracts totaling billions of dollars on behalf of all its teams, helping transform the league into the economic powerhouse it is today.

In addition to medical records from the NFL and its union, Conyers wants information on head injuries from the NCAA, high schools and medical researchers to better understand football's health risks.

"We need an expeditious and independent review of all the data," Conyers said, calling the problem a "life and death" issue that warrants federal scrutiny.

"I say this not simply because of the impact of these injuries on the 2,000 current players and more than 10,000 retirees associated with the NFL and their families," Conyers said. "I say it because of the effect on the millions of players at the college, high school and youth levels."

Rep. Lamar Smith of Texas, the top Republican on the panel, said that while Congress can highlight the consequences of playing football, "the NFL does not need Congress to referee this issue."

"Football, like soccer, rugby and even basketball and baseball, involves contact that can produce injuries," Smith said. "We cannot legislate the elimination of injuries from the games without eliminating the games themselves."

Gay Culverhouse, former president of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, said that NFL team doctors are not player advocates, and called for an independent neurologist to be on the sidelines for games.

"Players get to a point where they refuse to tell the team doctor that they have suffered a concussion ... (because) they know there is a backup player sitting on the bench, waiting to take their position," Culverhouse said.

"They are a disposable commodity," she added. "There is a draft coming up every April and these players fight to hold on to their jobs and they welcome shots and anything else that will keep them on the field. This is, in my mind, inhumane, and I watched it since the early '70s, and I will tell you that it has not changed."

Dr. Andrew Tucker, team physician for the Baltimore Ravens, echoed Culverhouse's assertion that players are prone to hiding information about head injuries.

In his testimony, Goodell said that the league has "reduced red tape, simplified the process for applicants and their families, and sped disability determinations." The league recently commissioned a report which suggested that retired pro football players may have a higher rate than normal of Alzheimer's disease or other memory afflictions -- although the league was quick to point out the report did not prove a link.

"We learned a good deal from the report and are actively following up with the 56 players who reported memory problems," he said.

Dr. Robert Cantu, co-director of Boston University's Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy, said there is "growing and convincing evidence" that repetitive concussive and subconcussive hits to the head in NFL players leads to a degenerative brain disease known as chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

"The public health risk is already here and we cannot afford to wait any longer to make changes to the way we play sports," he said, calling for rule and technique changes.

Goodell said that he met with Cantu a couple of weeks ago, and based on the discussion, has asked former coach and broadcaster John Madden to work with coaches on ways to identify new practice techniques to reduce risk of head trauma.

Thanks but no thanks, Congress. You know what you're getting into when you join the NFL. If you work at a factory and get injured on the job, and refuse to tell HR or anybody else at the company about your injury for fear of not getting a promotion while you recover from your injury, whose fault is that?
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
You're kidding me. Congress actually has the time to look into the effects of a sport people voluntarily choose to play? This is a "life and death issue"?

I hope you guys like the paternalistic government we're getting. That bear hug is only going to get tighter.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
14 years ago

You're kidding me. Congress actually has the time to look into the effects of a sport people voluntarily choose to play? This is a "life and death issue"?

I hope you guys like the paternalistic government we're getting. That bear hug is only going to get tighter.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

While I'll be the first one to cry foul when the federal government finds something new it wants to be in charge of, this IS something that they're allowed to - and under different circumstances, should - be concerned about. The NFL has an antitrust exemption... although at the present time, I don't think that the NFL itself has done anything to require investigation and reexamination of that status.

Although one really interesting thing I thought about... If the NFLPA wanted something that the NFL simply would not give, perhaps they have a friend in Washington that could force the NFL to make the changes the NFLPA wants. I see no evidence of this now (not that I've been looking), but it would not surprise me at all.
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Each and every one of these jokers in congress need to be voted out at the first chance. Is this the best use of their time and my money? I think not. I think us as tax payers should be able to put a panel together and question congress.

NFL and owners should tell congress, if you want to fuck with us, we will shut our doors. You would see some elected officials off themselves, because they know they would not make another term.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
djcubez
14 years ago
First of all, congress and sports? There's so much else fucked up with this country, so many people getting screwed besides professional athletes whose minimum salary is 250-500,000 dollars, for them to be worried about players.

Yes, I do acknowledge that the brutality of football may effect players health in the long-term, but are the players really stupid enough not to know this themselves? They practically sell themselves to the most brutal, legal professional activity in the nation and don't expect to have lingering health concerns after? Not to mention all the money most of the make--if they actually handle it intelligently they might be able to pay for most of the medical bills they'll pile up later instead of blowing it when they get their first paycheck.

That being said, I feel all players who have committed a specific amount of time to the NFL do deserve a pension plan at the very least. They're basically the gladiators of our time and deserve a bit more for their sacrifices. You've seen Emmit Smith on ESPN (no offense intended), not many players are able to operate akin to average person after incurring the brutality of a sport like football. The NFL should put something in place to help players recovering from being in the league if they can't make it on their own.
Porforis
14 years ago

The NFL should put something in place to help players recovering from being in the league if they can't make it on their own.

"djcubez" wrote:

Good on paper, but just because people are rich doesn't mean they're not going to abuse the system. Take a look at welfare. There's people on welfare that legitimately need it and legitimately are trying to stand on their own, and there's people that take advantage of it. There'd need to be a clear and complicated set of guidelines about what people do with their untold millions before the NFL should take responsibility for their long-term health.

Although I wonder if everyone would want to take a 10% paycut all around to fund a leauge-wide healthcare system? :>
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Those old players, who were around before the contracts got inflated, need something. Willie Wood was paraded in front of Congress because he has dementia. Not that I am close to convinced playing has anything to do with his illness, since 1 in 7 people in the US have dementia when in their 70's. Thing is Willie is getting a pension 1100 a month. While that is nice, it isn't enough when the players that are reaping the rewards of his play are earning millions and some never having played a down.

Willie did not make large amounts of money. 10,000 his first year and never made 6 figures. Now I know that was good money back then, but compared to what they make today. His equivelent highest salary wound barely be equal to the league minimum today.

I say, give these old guys some respect, pay them medical on top of the pension. As for the current. If they are not smart enough to invest their millions. Put some in a damn IRA at least, then the hell with them.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
gijoe82
14 years ago
+1 Proforis, interesting read. You know what else is an interesting read. The Constitution of the united states. Just got done reading it (I have a constitution app so a copy is always with me.) I did not see any mention of the powers congress has to monkey with the NFL. Nope no mention of it Mrs Watters (shes a commie wackadoo for those of you who dont know her act.)
Oh whats that you say article 1 section 8.1 says that congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes to promote the general welfare fo the US? Let us not forget that the Constitution is a legal document a document of law. Not unlike the contract players sign to a team of there own free will to play in the NFL. The constitution is a document limiting the federal goverments authority. Everything else is left to the sate or individual.
Oh whats that you say article 1 section 8.3 says it gives congress the power to regulate commerce? Keep reading sonny, it says to regulate commerce with Forign Nations and among the sates. Not private industry. In fact when James Madison was writing this the phrase regulate commerace was rewritten to mean to congress was to keep regular the commerce between states. In other words break down barriers between commerce of the states not impose on them. It was in effort to keep states from imposing tarrifs or other barriers to trade.
Really Godell, why do you feel the need to report to Congress.
blank
Formo
14 years ago

+1 Proforis, interesting read. You know what else is an interesting read. The Constitution of the united states. Just got done reading it (I have a constitution app so a copy is always with me.) I did not see any mention of the powers congress has to monkey with the NFL. Nope no mention of it Mrs Watters (shes a commie wackadoo for those of you who dont know her act.)
Oh whats that you say article 1 section 8.1 says that congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes to promote the general welfare fo the US? Let us not forget that the Constitution is a legal document a document of law. Not unlike the contract players sign to a team of there own free will to play in the NFL. The constitution is a document limiting the federal goverments authority. Everything else is left to the sate or individual.
Oh whats that you say article 1 section 8.3 says it gives congress the power to regulate commerce? Keep reading sonny, it says to regulate commerce with Forign Nations and among the sates. Not private industry. In fact when James Madison was writing this the phrase regulate commerace was rewritten to mean to congress was to keep regular the commerce between states. In other words break down barriers between commerce of the states not impose on them. It was in effort to keep states from imposing tarrifs or other barriers to trade.

"gijoe82" wrote:

Nice post man.. +1!
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

"gijoe82" wrote:

Dear gijoe,
See the "commerce clause." If there's a connection to commerce, it's within Congress's purview.
Signed,
The Supreme Court

Dear supremes,
You're fulla shit.
James Madison
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.