beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
A lot of people are asking what's up with Jennings disappearing... and it's true averaging less than 60 yards when just last year he was averaging more than 80. While he's numbers have gone way down and it's going to be close weather he passes 1,000 yards on his current pace but I don't think Jennings just disappeared I think there is another reason for his numbers going down.

I think that other teams are finally defending Jennings like a number one receiver. In years past even last year other teams were defending Driver like he was the number one receiver. Why do I think this? Well Driver and Jennings have combine to average about 140 yards per game ever season since Jennings 2nd year in 2007 and this is true for this year as the two are averaging just over 139 yards per game. So Jennings yards are down more than 20 per game but Drivers yards are up over 15 per game. So thats about minus 5 yards per games difference.

Last year Driver had 1012 yards. Currently Jennings is on pace for 949 yards. Last year Jennings had 1292 yards. Driver is currently on pace for 1277 yards. Thats minus 78 yards total in the season. So where is that minus 5 yards per game and totally of 78 yards going? The tight ends. Six games in Finley has gotten over forty times the amount of yards he got last year and Lee is over half way to the number of yards he got last year again only six games in.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Jennings IMO has been on more deep routes, that take time to develop, also being doubled over and under most of the time.

It is a classic case of pick your poison. I had a feeling Jennings would decline this year, just because of the talent around him. Now with Jordy down, Finley down, He may get himself back close.

I did like watching the Browns game that they seemed to get Jennings back involved in the short passes. And it paid dividends.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
mi_keys
14 years ago
I think this does have a lot to do with it. It also hasn't helped that Rodgers had very little time to throw up until this last week. Jennings has also been more involved the last couple of weeks so hopefully that's a sign that he is about to break out this year. If the line can continue to improve I fully expect Driver and Jennings to have a higher combined production this year than they did last, even if some of that production shifts towards Driver and away from Jennings.
Born and bred a cheesehead
PackerBuddha
14 years ago
I think its a mix of him getting more attention and the deeper routes. He is doing his job though, because he is freeing up Driver and the other WRs to get 1 on 1's.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
Take what the D gives you. Aaron Rodgers doing a very good job at that. Right now teams are doubling GJ, DD keeps going, they will have to make a decision, if they start doubling DD, then GJ or someone else is going to get the ball thrown to him.

Unselfish team, DD said last week(or mayby it was GJ), doesn't matter who is getting the ball, the most important thing is getting the team a win!!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
14 years ago

A lot of people are asking what's up with Jennings disappearing... and it's true averaging less than 60 yards when just last year he was averaging more than 80. While he's numbers have gone way down and it's going to be close weather he passes 1,000 yards on his current pace but I don't think Jennings just disappeared I think there is another reason for his numbers going down.

I think that other teams are finally defending Jennings like a number one receiver. In years past even last year other teams were defending Driver like he was the number one receiver. Why do I think this? Well Driver and Jennings have combine to average about 140 yards per game ever season since Jennings 2nd year in 2007 and this is true for this year as the two are averaging just over 139 yards per game. So Jennings yards are down more than 20 per game but Drivers yards are up over 15 per game. So thats about minus 5 yards per games difference.

Last year Driver had 1012 yards. Currently Jennings is on pace for 949 yards. Last year Jennings had 1292 yards. Driver is currently on pace for 1277 yards. Thats minus 78 yards total in the season. So where is that minus 5 yards per game and totally of 78 yards going? The tight ends. Six games in Finley has gotten over forty times the amount of yards he got last year and Lee is over half way to the number of yards he got last year again only six games in.

"beast" wrote:

Interesting analysis dude. Some very good points. I do think Jennings will adapt, though. Our passing game has also struggled due to Cliffy and the boys. Could like up the Queens this week too, with Winfield down.
I think Jennings will adjust.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Greg C.
14 years ago
Nice breakdown, beast. I think Jennings will start putting up some big numbers before the end of the season--probably sooner rather than later. I've noticed that he looks frustrated on a lot of plays, though, complaining to the refs and so on.

Also, there have been a few plays where he's just missed. Against the Lions, he made a great one-handed grab, but was not quite able to stay on his feet. If he had, it may have been a TD. Later in that game, he was one-on-one against our old pal Marquand Manuel in the end zone and failed to make the catch, as Manual blindly flailed his arm and knocked the ball out of Jennings' hands. Some of these close plays are bound to go Jennings' way before too long.
blank
azrunning
14 years ago
Yes, just a combination of things none of which are a decline in Jennings himself. Good squad of other receivers, tight ends producing, defense trying to take him away and pressure on Rodgers.
blank
Trippster
14 years ago
Not to be a spoiler but I have to ask this question;

Great recievers are still able to get open and produce even while being covered as the #1 reciever. Is Jennings worthy of that catagory or will he continue struggling to get open as a #1?
"Let Your Light Shine!"
doddpower
14 years ago

Not to be a spoiler but I have to ask this question;

Great recievers are still able to get open and produce even while being covered as the #1 reciever. Is Jennings worthy of that catagory or will he continue struggling to get open as a #1?

"Trippster" wrote:

This is exactly what I was thinking. I'm not sure if Jennings is truly a #1 receiver. Definitely a strong number 2 with a knack to get open deep by running great routes, but I'm just not seeing him getting the kind of separation he should, even when facing man to man coverage.

I think it's a combination of that and Rodger's just not looking his way enough honestly. Perhaps he's developing better chemistry with Driver as his go to guy? Sure seems that way.