porky88
  • porky88
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Did you expect more?

I sure hope not because GB finally played that complete game. Granted, it's the Browns, but Green Bay dominated them in every phase possible. It was impossible to look at this in a negative way like some did St. Louis and Detroit.

Props to the offensive line for pass blocking and run blocking well. I think the offensive line is still better with Jason Spitz at center and the goalline running game is an example why, but to have Wells off the bench with the type of experience he has is a nice luxary. No mental mistakes. Did the Packers have one false start? One Hold? I don't believe so. Zero Sacks is just great. It gives them confidence.

T.J. Lang deserves to start somewhere. I would love to see him get worked in at right tackle eventually. Maybe not this year, but I think that's his position. The way he pass blocks, run blocks, and just his mentality. He reminds me some of Mark Tauscher in the way he carries himself. It's one game and I'm not sold on him at left tackle yet. He holds his own against Jared Allen and then we'll talk about that.

Ryan Grant showed up. Ran with a burst and looked great. He ran through arm tackles for the first time all year. It was nice to get him going and that certainly helped the run defense. The Browns had to put eight in the box to stop Grant at times and they couldn't just unleash the hounds after Rodgers.

Defensively, Whoa... Three points in two games. Granted, look at the opponents, but even last year, GB's defense was giving up points to bad teams. Detroit scored on the Packers last year as did Jacksonville obviously.

The improvement is really starting to show. Now next week isn't a end all type of game for the defense as I think Favre is going to do a lot of good things because Dom Capers cannot figure him out, but I fully expect the defense to play better this time around than last vs. Minnesota.

Overall, Green Bay should be feeling good. They've got a great oppurtunity to tie Minnesota in the loss column which is key for obvious reasons. The confidence should help in my view.

2007, GB was not a great team in terms of talent and especially coaching on the defensive side of the ball, but they got confident and believed in themselves.
nerdmann
14 years ago
I don't buy this whole "Capers can't figure Favre out" thing. We shut down the run that game, but we had a vacancy at Safety. We won't have that this time.
As for all the other games against Capers, those are completely other teams.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
djcubez
14 years ago

Props to the offensive line for pass blocking and run blocking well. I think the offensive line is still better with Jason Spitz at center and the goalline running game is an example why, but to have Wells off the bench with the type of experience he has is a nice luxary. No mental mistakes. Did the Packers have one false start? One Hold? I don't believe so. Zero Sacks is just great. It gives them confidence.

"porky88" wrote:

I specifically remember a hold putting us into 3rd-and-20 although I cannot recall when. Still, one penalty on the offensive line is a vast improvement.

T.J. Lang deserves to start somewhere. I would love to see him get worked in at right tackle eventually. Maybe not this year, but I think that's his position. The way he pass blocks, run blocks, and just his mentality. He reminds me some of Mark Tauscher in the way he carries himself. It's one game and I'm not sold on him at left tackle yet. He holds his own against Jared Allen and then we'll talk about that.

"porky88" wrote:

I like Lang as well. The one stat that I loved from this game was zero sacks. That's huge for this offensive unit, knowing that for one game Rodgers was safe. I'm not entirely sold on Lang as a left tackle either and I'll have to see him go up against Jared Allen to judge, however I think Clifton's knees are just too broken to risk starting him.

Ryan Grant showed up. Ran with a burst and looked great. He ran through arm tackles for the first time all year. It was nice to get him going and that certainly helped the run defense. The Browns had to put eight in the box to stop Grant at times and they couldn't just unleash the hounds after Rodgers.

"porky88" wrote:

I have been really hard on Grant all year and I finally saw a game from him that will make me think twice. It's not that he statistically had a great game but just the way he was running. He was going hard, making people miss and was fired up in a way I've never seen him. Maybe Zero was right and we should keep giving him carries all game. Either way I'd like to see the Grant that showed up today in our future games instead of the lame duck I'm used to seeing. I'd also like to point out the play where Grant fell down untouched because I honestly believe he overruns himself and falls over too easily--this play practically proved my point.

Defensively, Whoa... Three points in two games. Granted, look at the opponents, but even last year, GB's defense was giving up points to bad teams. Detroit scored on the Packers last year as did Jacksonville obviously.

"porky88" wrote:

I think the defensive improvements have a lot to do with having more time in the system than the opponents we played. Players are finally becoming comfortable in their new roles and it shows. Now all we need is for them to stay healthy. With a defense that plays this well and a high-powered offense we should be real threat.

The improvement is really starting to show. Now next week isn't a end all type of game for the defense as I think Favre is going to do a lot of good things because Dom Capers cannot figure him out, but I fully expect the defense to play better this time around than last vs. Minnesota.

"porky88" wrote:

I don't know if you can completely put the blame on Dom for our first loss. I do agree he didn't pressure Favre enough but I doubt that it's because he hadn't figured Favre out, I think it had more to do with starting Derrick Martin at safety and over-focusing on Adrian Peterson and the running game. I do agree Capers has to change his gameplan extensively if we want to win at Lambeau next week.

Overall, Green Bay should be feeling good. They've got a great oppurtunity to tie Minnesota in the loss column which is key for obvious reasons. The confidence should help in my view.

2007, GB was not a great team in terms of talent and especially coaching on the defensive side of the ball, but they got confident and believed in themselves.

"porky88" wrote:

I hope we gained a sense of confidence from the game that will give us a swagger and boost in the game but won't make us arrogant.
nerdmann
14 years ago
We get Bigby back, plus a LT. Vikes lose Antoine Winfield.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
14 years ago
Barnett and Hawk deserve praise after the criticism they've been getting. They both stood out on defense, and it shows in the box score with them at the top of the tackles list.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

I sure hope not because GB finally played that complete game. Granted, it's the Browns, but Green Bay dominated them in every phase possible. It was impossible to look at this in a negative way like some did St. Louis and Detroit.

"porky88" wrote:

This is the type of performance I have been waiting for.. and I don't care if it was against the Brown or some JV high school team.

Yes they still have a phase to clean up in the penalties, but aside from that.. they played sound fundamental ball on offense, they played aggressive attacking defense.. as you say, they played that complete game.

They didn't play perfect, but they showed signs of pulling their caca together and not beating themselves on plays.

Not perfect but very solid.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
14 years ago

Barnett and Hawk deserve praise after the criticism they've been getting. They both stood out on defense, and it shows in the box score with them at the top of the tackles list.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

As stated in the Hawk thread.. best game I have seen out of them in a long time.. play like that.. most of that criticism disappears.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
14 years ago
Yeah I just saw that. I think Barnett is starting to feel it again. He was flying around breaking up passes as well as making tackles.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
Gotta give some "love" to Jolly, Pickett, Jenkins and Raji though.. those four were knocking some heads around today as well..

Jenkins vs. Thomas was a absolute treat to watch.. two very talented players there.
14 years ago
i agree this was a more solid performance (and i have to give the obligatory: "yeah, but it doesn't make me feel too excited when it's against a hopeless team") but there were some moments, not many, but a few...where i thought "this kind of sloppiness is going to lose us a game against a better team who can keep their shit together."

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Fan Shout
Martha Careful (2h) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (2h) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (2h) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (2h) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (3h) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.