Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Quality left tackle won't be easy for Green Bay Packers to find 

With Clifton on decline, Lang may step in; draft, free agency other options

By Tom Pelissero tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com October 24, 2009

If it were Chad Cliftons choice, hed probably be a Green Bay Packer in 2010 and a couple of years beyond, finishing his career in the same place hes been a starter the past decade.

But there will come a time perhaps as soon as March, when Clifton is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent the Packers will have to move on at one of the games most important positions. Considering Cliftons age (33) and extensive injury history, as well as Packers General Manager Ted Thompsons youth-first philosophy, that time probably is coming sooner than later.

So, how will the Packers fill the void at left tackle for the future?

Theyll get a look at one option Sunday afternoon in Cleveland, where rookie T.J. Lang is expected to make his first NFL start because of Cliftons recurring ankle injury.

Then, theres the start of free agency in March, the draft in May and, depending on Cliftons status, perhaps another training-camp competition in August.

For what the Packers will be looking is one of the rarest commodities in football: a consistent, athletic, dominating big man to guard the quarterbacks blind side, as Clifton has done well for much of his 10-year tenure in Green Bay.

Youre looking for a premium athlete at that left tackle spot, Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said this week. If youre doing draft work and youre evaluating 45 linemen coming out, youre looking for the cream of the crop, in terms of balance, quickness out of the stance, length. You want to see a guy that can really stay on his feet, whether it be run or pass.

Some of the great linemen that you see and Ive been around, they can almost leave the game and their pants arent even dirty. Thats not a bad thing sometimes, because theyre playing the game on their feet and upright, and that doesnt mean theyre not run-blocking guys it just means theyre not flailing around out there in space. But thats the premier position on the offensive line, so youre looking at a lot of good physical attributes.

The combination of which can prove extremely hard to find.

Core position

Many scouts consider left tackle a core position not only on offense, but on a team as a whole, because that player must hold his own against one of the opponents best athletes week-in and week-out.

In most cases, you draw the defenses best rusher, Packers offensive line coach James Campen said. Certainly, you just have to be so fundamentally sound.

Look at a list of NFL sack leaders in recent years, and nearly everyone either is a 3-4 right outside linebacker the position played by this years early leader, Denvers Elvis Dumervil (10), and last years, Dallas DeMarcus Ware (20) and Miamis Joey Porter (18) or a 4-3 right end such as Minnesotas Jared Allen, Indianapolis Dwight Freeney or Carolinas Julius Peppers.

Teams try to counter a threat with a threat, so the left tackle must be athletic enough to set against those players in pass protection and strong enough at the point of attack to both anchor and generate movement in the run game. He also must fit the physical description perhaps most important, the arm length (preferably 34 inches or more) to excel in pass protection and be tough enough mentally to excel on an island.

Its obviously severely critical, said longtime NFL executive Michael Lombardi, now a columnist for nationalfootballpost.com.

If you dont get one in the first round, theyre always tough to find in later rounds. Theyre hard to find as free agents. Typically, youve got to draft them early.

Eight NFL teams Atlanta (Sam Baker), Baltimore (Michael Oher), Cleveland (Joe Thomas), Denver (Ryan Clady), Houston (Duane Brown), Jacksonville (Eugene Monroe), Kansas City (Branden Albert) and Miami (Jake Long) have gotten their left tackles via first-round picks in the past three drafts.

Six others Carolina (Jordan Gross), the New York Giants (Dave Diehl), Philadelphia (Jason Peters), Pittsburgh (Max Starks), San Francisco (Joe Staley) and Tennessee (Michael Roos) have re-signed theirs to big-money contract extensions in the past 18 months.

Some are locked into large contracts with players in their 30s (Dallas Flozell Adams, Detroits Jeff Backus, Minnesotas Bryant McKinnie, Seattles Walter Jones, Washingtons Chris Samuels) or trying to fit a high-priced guard to the edge (Cincinnatis Andrew Whitworth).

Others are in much the same position as the Packers, with questions about injuries, inconsistency, age and unproven young players looming large.

Filling the void

In an interview last week with the Press-Gazette, one NFL personnel director rated Tampa Bays Donald Penn and San Diegos Marcus McNeill as by far the best among five starting left tackles coming up on their second contracts, though its probably a long shot either will hit the open market in March.

Almost any team with a franchise-type left tackle either works out a multi-year deal in advance of free agency or, failing that, uses the franchise tag, which for offensive linemen this year was $8.451 million.

Penn, 26, wasnt even drafted out of Utah State in 2006 and failed to make the Minnesota Vikings roster that summer. On the smaller side at 6-foot-5 and 305, Penn didnt play at all as a rookie after Tampa Bay signed him off the Vikings practice squad, but he became a starter in Week 5 of 2007 and hasnt missed a start since. The Buccaneers gave him the high restricted tender of $2.792 million on a one-year contract deal this past offseason.

Hes really played well, said Lombardi, who mentioned Penn first when asked about the best left tackles in the NFL.

Hes got long arms. Hes athletic. Hes played on a bad team, but I think hes really good.

McNeill, 25, is a 6-foot-7, 336-pound behemoth who fell to the second round (50th overall) of the 2006 draft in part because of concerns about his injury history. But hes been durable with the Chargers, missing only two of 53 possible starts in four seasons, and has been a Pro Bowl alternate each of the past three seasons.

Fifth-year veterans Jammal Brown of New Orleans and Alex Barron of St. Louis also are experienced starters, but there are red flags on both.

Brown, 28, wont play at all this season after undergoing sports hernia surgery in August and hip surgery in September. Though he was the Saints best lineman before the injury, it would take a lot of faith to invest any sort of significant money in a 313-pound man coming off two such surgeries. Hes perhaps most likely to reach free agency, because third-year pro Jermon Bushrod is playing well in his place.

Barron, 27, has been durable but hasnt performed consistently at left tackle, leaving some thinking hes a better fit on the right side, if anywhere.

A fifth current starter, Indianapolis Charlie Johnson, 25, hasnt allowed a sack this season but seems somewhat miscast at tackle and might be better suited for the long term at guard.

Its possible none of the five even will have the ability to become unrestricted free agents, because if a new collective-bargaining agreement isnt struck before the new league year begins, players would need six seasons to become unrestricted instead of four.

That would leave McNeill, Penn, Brown, Barron and Johnson as restricted free agents assuming their old teams dont re-sign them first and put Clifton, injuries and all, as probably the best option available on the open market.

The only other starting left tackle scheduled for free agency is Arizona veteran Mike Gandy, 30.

Reality check

All of which could be moot for the Packers if Lang plays well in Cliftons place and Packers General Manager Ted Thompson sticks with his philosophy of developing starters rather than buying them.

The rookie played 20 snaps Oct. 5 at Minnesota and 19 snaps in last weeks win against Detroit and performed well, save for allowing one sack to Allen when he overplayed a fake stunt. Though the vast majority of current starting left tackles were first- or second-round picks 23 of 32 on current depth charts, plus several others who are injured the success of Starks (third round), Gandy (third), Diehl (fifth) and Penn shows its possible to find a gem in later rounds or rookie free agency.

He seems to be a pretty steady guy, Philbin said of Lang, a fourth-round pick (109th overall) out of Eastern Michigan who also worked at right tackle and both guard spots in training camp.

You dont see him getting real up, real down he kind of keeps working. Youre impressed with that. Hes got good feet, good balance. He has some depth on his set, which I think is a positive, and hes battled. Hes battled well when hes played in the ballgames. Hes got a good work ethic, hard-working guy. Hes making progress.

If Lang doesnt sell himself, then perhaps the best option is dipping back into the draft and with higher picks than usual by Thompson, who has used no first-round picks and only one second-rounder (in 2006 on left guard Daryn Colledge, who struggled in two starts at left tackle this season) in five drafts with the Packers.

The early word on the 2010 class is it may be light on tackles, with only Oklahoma States Russell Okung and Oklahomas Trent Williams considered surefire first-round picks at college footballs midway point.

Okung (6-foot-8, 299 pounds) is an all-Big 12 performer on the left side, while Williams (6-5, 306) played his first three college seasons at right tackle and might be a better fit there as a pro. Converted tight end Charles Brown (6-5, 285) of Southern California is considered another rising player, and several other left tackles including Iowas Bryan Bulaga, LSUs Ciron Black, Abilene Christians Tony Washington and Miamis Jason Fox could shoot up draft boards in the coming months.

Its also too soon to count out Clifton, who felt rejuvenated in camp after undergoing arthroscopic surgery to clean out both knees and shoulders. Hes playing lighter (a little under 320 pounds) than in recent years, hoping extend his career by easing the strain on his knees, and is only two years removed from his 2007 Pro Bowl season.

But Clifton sprained an ankle Sept. 20 against Cincinnati, missed two games and then reinjured the ankle last week against Detroit, a game in which he also was flagged for four penalties. Tack that on to a 2008 season in which he had team highs in sacks allowed (7) and penalties (nine) while battling knee, shoulder, hamstring and thumb trouble, and it wouldnt be a stretch to question how much he has left.

The question is, how soon can the Packers find a reliable alternative?

Im sure theyre going to try to find a way to get a young guy in there at some point, Lombardi said. But unfortunately, its never easy.

UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago
Thanks for the article - I thought the tone was a bit wierd thou ...

They talk about how the pack needs a left tackle because clifton might be done because or injury or age etc ... and talk about how lang is in there and worked out pretty good.
But then the article says where is GB going to find a young left tackle ... did they forget what was just talked about and lang is working that job?

He is not doing a too bad job there.

btw I watched the mn/balt game and watched oher work ... he wasnt too bad either against allen; totally missed one block (was almost funny) ... but other then that was doing decently.
porky88
14 years ago
I have to admit, I'm excited to see what Lang can do in his first career start. I was high on him when they drafted him and I actually thought he'd be the starting right tackle. I actually think that's the best spot for him.
jbshell04
14 years ago
I think with lang most scouts don't like his metrics physically and are biased to long armed LT. Nothing more than that. Scouts don't appreciate the hard workers as much as the gush about physically gifted guys. (See kampman when he was drafted) Think most graded him out as a linebacker(Tweener) more than a DE (funny how times have changed. I do think however that Lang may be more than servicable on the Left. Will he make mistakes sure Still better than Cliffy with a gimpy planr foot who was caught cheating to much.
I am therefor I think.
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Hope Lang works out at LT. That will eliminate the urgency for the position in FA and Draft. It takes time to fill that spot with somebody like Clifton. If we go back, we had Ken Ruettgers for 12 years filling that spot until he was replaced by Michels in 96, then it was Verba for 4 years before Cliffy took over in 2000. 5 years between long time players. Verba was nice, but didn't stick.

If we could go from one long term starter to another, that would be great. We could then look at Tauschers replacement. Since he doesn't appear to be on the team at the moment.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
tonyagnese
14 years ago

Hope Lang works out at LT. That will eliminate the urgency for the position in FA and Draft. It takes time to fill that spot with somebody like Clifton. If we go back, we had Ken Ruettgers for 12 years filling that spot until he was replaced by Michels in 96, then it was Verba for 4 years before Cliffy took over in 2000. 5 years between long time players. Verba was nice, but didn't stick.

If we could go from one long term starter to another, that would be great. We could then look at Tauschers replacement. Since he doesn't appear to be on the team at the moment.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

Like others have said..I like Lang more at RT. However, if Lang can stick at LT that'd be great..
blank
LambeauEast
14 years ago
I can't wait to see what Lang can do. Should prove interesting, and hopefully less stupid penalty filled.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
14 years ago

Thanks for the article - I thought the tone was a bit wierd thou ...

They talk about how the pack needs a left tackle because clifton might be done because or injury or age etc ... and talk about how lang is in there and worked out pretty good.
But then the article says where is GB going to find a young left tackle ... did they forget what was just talked about and lang is working that job?

He is not doing a too bad job there.

btw I watched the mn/balt game and watched oher work ... he wasnt too bad either against allen; totally missed one block (was almost funny) ... but other then that was doing decently.

"Dulak" wrote:

Lang has yet to prove himself. Hopefully, tomorrow at this time he will have taken the first huge step in doing so.
And yes, I am counting Clifton as OUT. He won't be back next year.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
packfan4
14 years ago
Tony Washington, Abilene Christian, absolutely love that kid. I got my hands on some tape from a scout I know pretty well and I love what i've seen so far. Crazy athlete, shows up in both run and pass, and the best part is, he's nasty. I think he's going to rise big time leading up to the Draft because the only knock on him right now is his level of competition but once he puts on a show in shorts and shows up well in the postseason games(East vs West), etc., he'll officially be on the radar. Probably a mid-Rd pick right now(Rd 3-4) but I think he has a chance to go as high as the tail end of the 1st, most likely he'll go Mid-Late 2nd Rd.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
14 years ago
Good game, TJ. Keep it up.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (8h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.