Cheesey
14 years ago

Per miles traveled, airplanes are approximately 100 times safer than automobiles. Trains are twice as safe as airplanes.

"pack93z" wrote:

That's really not surprising considering the lack of roads in the air, lack of teenagers driving, buildings, street signs, etc ...

I really never understood that comparison at all.

Car crash per amount of cars.
Plane crash per plane flight.

With that comparison, the plane's are still ahead in crash department. Not sure about death's or injuries though.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Big difference here.. in a car I have some say in how it turns out.. in a plane or train.. I have no control over it.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Not really.
I have been in only one car accident, and i had NO control over it. I was hit by a woman driver from behind that wasn't paying attention. Most accidents, there is at least one of the vehicles that had no control over what happened.
What i mean is, just because you are driving doesn't mean you have control of what happens.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

What i mean is, just because you are driving doesn't mean you have control of what happens.

"Cheesey" wrote:

Agreed to a point.. and trust me I can speak upon that subject.

But there is a chance I can do something to avoid it.. in a plane I have none.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
IronMan
14 years ago
Over the past few years, I have learned to plan ahead when flying.

For example, when I went to my first Packers game a few years ago, it was late December, and I was scheduled to arrive Saturday afternoon. That was kind of risky, as flights get canceled often in the winter months; and had I got bumped to a Sunday arrival, I could have missed the start of the game. Fudge that!

Since then, I always plan my arrival for Friday, just in case something happens. (Plus this gives me an extra day to party!)

When I go to the Seattle game Dec. 27th, I am scheduled to arrive on Thursday, the 24th. That way, if there is bad weather, I can just roll with the punches, knowing that I have an extra day to work with. A lot less stressful that way.
Cheesey
14 years ago
To me, that makes it easier. I mean, if you have NO control over the results in a plane, you have no responsibility for the outcome.
Your hands are clean in that respect. Plus, you usually will have at least SOME time to think about it if you are going to be in a plane accident. You can mentally prepare for it.
Not that that means it would be great fun.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

To me, that makes it easier. I mean, if you have NO control over the results in a plane, you have no responsibility for the outcome.
Your hands are clean in that respect. Plus, you usually will have at least SOME time to think about it if you are going to be in a plane accident. You can mentally prepare for it.
Not that that means it would be great fun.

"Cheesey" wrote:

What the ????

You don't like being held accountable for your actions?

And time to think about dying? Yeah, that's a ringing endorsement for flying. Not a fat chance!! Quick and painless please, thank you.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
How much more "quick and painless" can crashing in a plane be???
I mean, in a car, you might just get maimed. In a plane crash, you pretty much are like a fly hitting the windshield....BAM!!!

And i do NOT mind being held accountable for my actions. What i meant with that was, at least you arn't going to have to feel like it was YOUR fault that someone else died or was maimed, as it MIGHT be if you caused a car accident. If you arn't the pilot of the plane, you probably arn't going to be the one that caused the death of others.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

How much more "quick and painless" can crashing in a plane be???
I mean, in a car, you might just get maimed. In a plane crash, you pretty much are like a fly hitting the windshield....BAM!!

"Cheesey" wrote:

You just said "Plus, you usually will have at least SOME time to think about it if you are going to be in a plane accident." lol 🙂
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
LOL!
What i MEANT by that was.......it might just give you some last minute time to talk to God.......something many people never get the chance to do. If you are pretty sure your life might just be coming to an end, it gives you a rare chance to reflect on what is really important. Many people are dead without ever getting that kind of opportunity.
There is ONE certanty. We ALL will face death some day. Thats unavoidable. Being faced with our own weakness allows us the chance to look at whats really important.
When i headed off to the operating room, i had the chance to make sure all things were said that needed to be said. I had no idea if that was it for me. It helps to keep things in perspective.
Truth is, NONE of us knows how long we have on this planet.
Life is what happens while we are busy making plans.
You might be planning on 40 years from now, and may in reality only have till tomorrow.
If we all approached life that way, we might be nicer and more thoughtful of others. Yes, it's nice to plan for the future. But keep in mind our plans might never happen.
I know my Dad didn't plan to die at 44. Or my brother at 43. But neither of them had a choice in how it all ended.
Thats reality.
UserPostedImage
MontanaBob
14 years ago
Well said Cheesey.

Hey Zero....I got my pilots license online through University of Phoenix. It was a snap. LOL

On a more serious note, some friends of ours who live south of us in Hamilton, have a daughter that just turned 16. She has been taking flying lessons for 4 years now and on her 16th birthday, last week, she skipped school and took her first solo flight. Not just flying one plane, but she took off and landed in 5 different types of aircraft from a small 4 seat Cessna to a twin prop Beech. Her principal from her high school was there and took pictures and several of her classmates were there also to cheer her on. And no, she did't get in trouble for skipping school. Pretty cool.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
lol Bob
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (7h) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (7h) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (8h) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (8h) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (9h) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.