wils0646
14 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/65706132.html 

Green Bay There's no disputing it, the Green Bay Packers are the worst team in the league when it comes to penalties.

They are tied with the Buffalo Bills at the bottom with an average of 8.6 penalties per game. The Packers are all by themselves in yards (71.8).

They also happen to be 3-2 and would be in the playoffs if they started today.

Do the Packers need to clean up their sloppy play? Yes. Are they going to make the playoffs if they finish their current pace of 136 penalties for 1,149 yards? Probably not.

But here's the thing about penalties. Sure, it makes great talk-radio fodder. But the truth is, penalties don't matter as long as you are solid in other areas, namely protecting the quarterback and taking care of the ball.

And you don't need to go back very far back in Packers history for proof.

The Packers' last two NFC North division titles came in 2004 and '07. Those teams stand fourth and fifth, respectively, for most penalties in a season (116 and 113) in team history.

Brett Favre was sacked 14 times total in '04 and 19 in '07.

Aaron Rodgers has been dropped 25 times in five games.

The numbers also show the Packers are capable of doing damage if they cut down on the sacks.

The Packers average 2.13 points per drive this season when you eliminate run-out-the-clock scenarios.

When they don't have a sack or penalty on a drive, the Packers average 3.18 points. For comparison, the New Orleans Saints, with the NFL's top offense, average 3.84. The third-ranked Indianapolis Colts average 2.7.

When the Packers have a penalty on a drive, their average slips to 2.07. When they have a sack, it falls off a cliff to 0.75.

So basically, if the Packers cut back a little on the penalties and greatly improve on the offensive line they should be fine.

Want further proof of penalties' nominal effect on a team's success?

Of the 20 teams to advance to the league title games the previous five seasons, five (25%) finished in the top seven for penalties, including the Arizona Cardinals (fifth) and Baltimore Ravens (seventh) last year. The teams allowed 28 and 33 sacks, respectively.

And of the four most penalized teams in league history, none finished worse than 7-9. The 1989 Houston Oilers, who are fifth with 149 penalties, made the playoffs at 9-7.

The 1998 Kansas City Chiefs still rank as the most penalized in NFL history with 158 fouls and 1,304 yards. The quarterbacks coach on Marty Schottenheimer's staff was a mustachioed fellow by the name of Michael John McCarthy.

"It's 11 years ago," McCarthy said. "I don't think it has anything to do with what's going on here. It's a different team. I think it's a stretch (to draw any conclusion). I'll say this, Marty Schottenheimer won over 200 football games in the National Football League."

Schottenheimer also fielded some highly aggressive teams, probably because they had to go blow-for-blow in the AFC West with the Los Angeles Raiders, who led the league in penalties just about every year during that stretch.

McCarthy was on Schottenheimer's staff from 1993-'98 with the Chiefs. They ranked in the top four in penalties five times in that span and seventh once. The Chiefs also went 13-3 twice, advanced to the AFC championship at 11-5 and had just one losing record, in '98.

After that season, Schottenheimer resigned.

McCarthy still said he thinks penalties are important.

"Well, penalties are a negative," McCarthy said. "I think the way you approach them is no different than other things. I mean, pre-snap penalties, there's no excuse for them. I think anybody in football would say that. And that's really the thing we need to get rid of.

"We had five in one game. That's why our numbers are blown out of proportion after five games. We address it, we practice it and we train it. But we're creating a competitive, aggressive culture so there's some times where we may cross the line, and those are the things we work on every day. That's football."

In their 2007 Pro Football Prospectus, Aaron Schatz and Bill Barnwell from footballoutsiders.com studied penalties from 2002-'06. They found there was "almost zero" correlation between record and defensive or special-team penalties. There was, however, a much stronger correlation with offensive penalties.

And in that respect, the Packers are still doing well, even after Sunday's display against the Detroit Lions when they had six offensive infractions. It brought their total to 14, which is one more than the Colts (13) and fewer than the Saints (16).

The Packers do as much, maybe more, to prevent penalties as other teams. They have local referees at every practice. They go over it in film study. McCarthy yanks players when they commit an infraction in practice. Yes, he doesn't get red in the face as Mike Holmgren used to.

McCarthy could decide to have his players run laps after penalties, which is what Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini continues to do.

"Last year at this time, we were 32nd in the league in penalties," Mangini said. "This year, we're third. That's progress."

The Browns finished 4-12 last year.

They are 1-5 entering Sunday's game against the Green Bay Packers.

The Pack Will Be Back.
obi1
14 years ago
Good article. Thus the Packer Oline shuffle. I don't think he wrote anything the bosses on the team didn't know but I think it adds fuel to the fodder that our Oline is in need of work.

It seems that our oline offers the double whammy as it is penalty AND sack prone...

I await the time when Rodgers gets the time to throw... Hopefully right soon!
blank
wils0646
14 years ago
Seriously, even if we just cut our sack totals to 2 or 3 per game, we'd be scoring more and obviously winning more.

An 80 sack pace is ridiculous and hurting our team more than anything.
The Pack Will Be Back.
Pack93z
14 years ago
Hmm and people wonder why we are hammering the oline topic over and over.. Sacks don't even tell the whole "pressure" story and its impact.

BTW.. I don't discount the penalties as much as the article... but I will buy into the importance of offensive penalties over defensive.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Porforis
14 years ago
This article isn't really news. Yes, giving up sacks is going to hurt more than a false start or holding penalty because...

1. You'll lose just as many yards, or more, as well as lose a down
2. Your QB will get banged up
3. Large number of sacks reflects poorly on the O line and QB, which snowball into larger issues

Kind of a "duh" article for me. Yes, there's more important things to worry about. Yes, the penalties need to be cleaned up.
bozz_2006
14 years ago
So all they have to do is cut down on all the penalties and greatly improve their offensive line play? No problem! lol.

I like the stats in the article though.
UserPostedImage
matteogb4
14 years ago
i dont care...stop the penalites either way....

...and stop allowing sakcs...

that means playoff almost for sure
blank
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Penalties have a habit of creating more penalties. The more desperate the team gets, the more they will create. Outside of Clifton, I was fairly happy with penalties besides ST last game. Throw out the good Driver and Colledge flags, and there were 3 penalties on the offense and defense. ST is another story.

I hope Lang plays well and removes any consideration of Chad returning to the starting lineup. We can have sacks now and then, those coverage sacks that happen. It is the quick sacks that are killers. There should never be pressure on a 3 step drop, and as Mike McCarthy said during his show. There should never be a LBer coming through like they did last game. Mental mistakes we can fix, technique we can coach.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
wils0646
14 years ago
Did you guys realize that defensive/special teams penalties don't hurt as much as people think? That's one of our main "problems", but statistics show that there is no correlation between that and losing games. We are lower in the league in offensive penalties, which are more detrimental to the team's success. I just like this article because it shows that there is really only one thing (albeit a huge one) to fix our team.

A little optimism I guess.
The Pack Will Be Back.
14 years ago

The Packers do as much, maybe more, to prevent penalties as other teams. They have local referees at every practice. They go over it in film study. McCarthy yanks players when they commit an infraction in practice. Yes, he doesn't get red in the face as Mike Holmgren used to.

That was my favorite part of the article.

This is sort of where i was going with my thread on how important 3rd down and medium or short is.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (15h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (18h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (20h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (22h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (22h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (22h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.