macbob
14 years ago

Great post ROCK. I understand where you are coming from.

From the way he played today... Led the team in tackles (7-1)

I hope is is "Unhappy" for the rest of the season.

Some people in life have to be Unhappy to be Happy.

"RaiderPride" wrote:

With 3 of those tackles for a loss. THAT'S the type of play I've been expecting from Hawk.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
That is the player I have been expecting, he wasn't perfect today, but he shed a couple of blocks early, got on the oppositions side of the LOS and made some decisive tackles.

That a baby.. keep playing like that and these types of threads. Continue to shut our asses up just like that.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
14 years ago

Hawk played well today. Was good at cutting off angles for the running back and made a few nice tackles. Seemed pretty aggressive and assignment sure. Of course, since he didn't have 2 sacks and an interception, I fully expect people to dog him.

Same for Barnett.

"evad04" wrote:

What a crock of shit.. because I expect a player to play up to his potential, it is dogging his ass. Bullshit.

This game is how I expect him to play.. make some plays.. that doesn't mean they all have to be game changers, but playing with some fire and intensity those will start to come more frequently.

I can count on one hand the amount of games that Hawk has played with this type of fire.. I give two pinches less about anything other than that. His draft slot matters little.. the fact that he showed more talent in college than he has played to in the pros is the issue.

Again.. he played a hell of a game today.. wasn't settling for tackles 3 to 7 yards past the line of scrimmage.. picking his spots, shooting the gaps and making some plays.

Is it really to much to ask to have him play with this type of fire weekly?

In the end.. that is the point.

IMO.. he got a game ball yesterday.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
evad04
14 years ago

Hawk played well today. Was good at cutting off angles for the running back and made a few nice tackles. Seemed pretty aggressive and assignment sure. Of course, since he didn't have 2 sacks and an interception, I fully expect people to dog him.

Same for Barnett.

"pack93z" wrote:

What a crock of shit.. because I expect a player to play up to his potential, it is dogging his ass. Bullshit.

This game is how I expect him to play.. make some plays.. that doesn't mean they all have to be game changers, but playing with some fire and intensity those will start to come more frequently.

I can count on one hand the amount of games that Hawk has played with this type of fire.. I give two pinches less about anything other than that. His draft slot matters little.. the fact that he showed more talent in college than he has played to in the pros is the issue.

Again.. he played a hell of a game today.. wasn't settling for tackles 3 to 7 yards past the line of scrimmage.. picking his spots, shooting the gaps and making some plays.

Is it really to much to ask to have him play with this type of fire weekly?

In the end.. that is the point.

IMO.. he got a game ball yesterday.

"evad04" wrote:

Step back, take a deep breath, and settle down. How about that?

I wasn't singling out any particular post. And if at worst what I'm doing is defending A.J. Hawk I guess I'll live with that.

The truth is, as far as I see it, people still hold A.J. Hawk to an unreasonable standard. Has Hawk lived up to his top 5 draft status? I'll tell you flatly: no. But I think that's an unreasonable standard to hold him to after so many years. My point is basically that he's a solid player and that's enough for me. Now please, untwist your panties.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago
I think it is safe to say Hawk is no longer unhappy.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
LOL...

There was no twisted undergarments for me.. simply I seem to think that he should be striving for better.. you seem content with his play. You seemed to except that he doesn't have more to give, I think there is another level of play he can achieve if he turns it loose.

Simply put.. yesterday Hawk played at a different level than the weeks before.. you could see it in him taking on his blocks.

So that seems to speak that he can play at a higher level than before.. all I want is that effort and fire every week. Not sporadically..

Your statement seems to say that you think it is unreasonable.. I think it is what we need in Green Bay.. lighting fires under peoples asses and having them play inspired ball.

BTW.. it was nothing personal, more so it seems that some think yipping about the things that we should do better is somehow talking a player down, Hawk has more potential than he has shown to date.. here is to hoping he taps that potential like he did this past Sunday.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I'm always glad we win, but in the same sense, I'm always looking for ways we can improve. That doesn't mean I dislike my team or and knocking my team. It's just me thinking we can do better and understanding we have to do better to reach the goal I'd like us to see. And that is the Packers taking over the world, pinky!!!
UserPostedImage
evad04
14 years ago
I think there's a lot of sense to be made in justifying Hawk's lack of sexy performances last season as a result of the below average defense he played in. Hawk's role in the previous defense has been well-documented -- his duties as the WOLB in our 4-3 match-coverage bump-and-run man-to-man defense wasn't one to produce highlight reel sacks and big plays. Shawn Merriman's role in San Diego's 3-4 from a few years ago, by contrast, was designed EXACTLY FOR Merriman getting those opportunities.

Hawk, IMO, is the same player (albeit a little smarter now and closer to his physical prime as an athlete) from last year or the year before or the year before. You and I have apparently seen different things. The MLB was the stud in our previous defense. In the 3-4 defense, Hawk is being featured more prominently. Maybe it took a few weeks to get him going, but I think I feel comfortable saying he has more or less arrived in our new defense. It highlights his skills much more appropriately. Which brings in my previous "point" about how his draft stock has continued to be the standard held to him. After three years being asked to be the lunchpail guy he is getting a better opportunity to truly be utilized. I'm not surprised when Hawk has a game like yesterday. I ALSO don't think it is as simple as an individual player needed a fire lit under his ass. I don't think Hawk is trying any harder now than he ever has. It's possible that he's sick of some of the criticism, but hell, some of it is deserved.

My whole point in all of this is that Hawk has always been a good player, but now is finally asked to play a more impacting role.

I think digging up articles regarding his role in our previous defense is in order. People need to realize what Hawk was being asked to do in Sanders 4-3 (again, not you Pack93 -- I'm pretty sure you know exactly what I'm talking about given your religious following of our LBs ;)).

(P.S. This is the first capable defensive coordinator Hawk has played under during his NFL career)
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
Pack93z
14 years ago

I ALSO don't think it is as simple as an individual player needed a fire lit under his ass. I don't think Hawk is trying any harder now than he ever has. It's possible that he's sick of some of the criticism, but hell, some of it is deserved.

"evad04" wrote:

See I disagree, yesterday was the first time in a long time that I seen Hawk defeat a block before the play was by him... he picked the shoulder, popped the guy and made the tackle for a loss.. I was pumped when I say that..

Fighting off blocks is mostly about effort.. you have to beat guys on one on one match ups.. there is technique involved sure, but it most of the time it comes down to aggression and the will to kick his ass.

Will you win everyone.. nope.. but win your share.. I certainly hope so.

I don't care if we feature a player or not.. I don't care about Shawn Merriman's stats.. I care about the effort, desire and play upon the field.

In his tenure here.. I have seen his heart fighting through injuries... but his fire and aggression on the field was lacking. yesterday I seen some of the missing element.. I hope that becomes a mainstay.

Will he make mistakes by playing more aggressive.. yes.. but will he make more impact stops and plays.. IMO yes he will.

We can talk about scheme and DC's all we want.. but as a player you have to make plays on the field in whatever spot and system they put you in.. taking on a lead blocker in a 3-4 or 4-3, from the Buck, Will, Sam or wherever is the same battle.. yesterday Hawk won some and was playing downhill.. that is all I ask.
evad04
14 years ago

I don't care if we feature a player or not.. I don't care about Shawn Merriman's stats.. I care about the effort, desire and play upon the field.

"pack93z" wrote:

Don't be so quick to dismiss the comparison. Again, this isn't singling you out -- but there are people on this board that seem to hold the position that unless Hawk is consistently making big plays (sacks, TFL, fumbles, interceptions) that he isn't living up to his godly #5 pick. At the very least I'm trying to point out that certain schemes put players in a position to succeed. Furthermore, I'm making a point to remember how bad our front seven was last year. We couldn't stop the run, we couldn't rush the passer, and we had a number of significant injuries. Hawk is the same player, I believe. The difference isn't as simple as his fire or aggressiveness (something that reflects my overall worldview -- that there's a lot more complexity to any singular issue than face value, which would in this case be Hawk simply trying harder or playing with more "fire"). I'm willing to bet that no amount of fire or aggressiveness or "chip on shoulder" type of play would have made much of a difference for Hawk on last year's defense.

I attribute his improvement in part to Hawk himself, but primarily to a confluence of factors (a healthy Cullen Jenkins, a defensive scheme that is much less predictable, and playing in a defense that features active LBs and many moving parts).

That's just the way I see it. This is the same A.J. Hawk that looked like such a solid "safe" pick from 2006. He's not out there by himself -- his improvement/development or lack thereof can't be measured in a vacuum. I'm confident that we'll see more improvement, again, as this defense is more tailored to his abilities.