Pack93z
14 years ago
I wonder how Sutton would have performed behind this line in the regular season..

My opinion, we have been lacking a change of pace back for years.. Jackson and Grant are the same type of players without a big burst or quick feet.. Wynn is a (should be) bruiser.. I dare say none on this roster could have "elusive" pinned to their resume..

I would love to have a "speed" or "scat" back type to drop in here on certain situations just to add that element to our attack..

Ryan Torain is a little more of the same of what we have.. Quinton Ganther is a bowling ball type runner that packs a little thump.. shorter Wynn type?
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
evad04
14 years ago
To be fair to McCarthy, he stressed that balanced playcalling was a big reason why the Pack's offense was able to move the ball more consistently against St. Louis. I think he does seem committed to running the ball more -- but that isn't the strength of this team, and when you play a team like Minnesota you don't play a relative weakness of your own into their strength.

It's like people have completely forgot we're only four games in. I'm not making a huge generalization here about all the responses -- I'm referring specifically to the notion that McCarthy abandons the run after the first quarter. I don't think there's enough evidence this season to suggest that.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Stevetarded
14 years ago
At this point I wouldn't be against dumping Wynn to give Lumpkin a look. With the way Wynn has played so far I think Lump is a more promising 3rd down back replacement for B. Jackson while he is injured.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Sutton runs a 40 in 4.7.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
14 years ago
I don't look at our run game as any major concern.

For one thing three out of the four teams we've played rank in the top twelve in run defense. Having said that we average about 17 yards less a game than the Vikings and all anybody talks about is how great they are at running the ball.

McCarthy has the right balance in the play calling. When your in a dogfight of a game you go with what you do best most and offset that with the other phase just enough to stay effective.

If we can get a hundred yards a game out of it I'm fine with it.

If anything the passing game needs to start clicking better and it will help our run game. That's when you can slip in those runs and break a big one now and then. Until we get better production in the pass protection area it will affect the run game because when down and distance is against the offense it's not a recipe for the run game to be successful.
"The train is leaving the station."
packfan4
14 years ago

Sutton runs a 40 in 4.7.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Not to mention he is God awful in pass protection, making him a poor fit as a 3rd down back. People need to let go of the thought that Preseason standouts like Tyrell Sutton and Anthony Smith are missing links on this roster. They played well in the Preseason, well guess what? So did our Offensive Line! Sutton has been active for 1 game thus far, when Carolina's 3rd RB Mike Goodson was out with a concussion and Anthony Smith has yet to be active for the Rams.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

Sutton runs a 40 in 4.7.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

First, 40 times verse elusive are two different things.. quick feet, rapid cuts, body control can't be measured in a 40. Most overrated measurement ever created..

Second, I just wondered out loud how he would have ran behind this line.. he seems to be able to make one or two defenders miss once in a while.. something lacking on the roster currently... maybe Jackson brings that element in a small dose.

Third, Mr. Packfan4, taking player A from Team A, then sticking him on Team B and expecting the same results or activity isn't valid always. Look at the depth on the Carolina Running Backs... not a lot of reason to give carries past Williams or Stewart is there. But Carolina for all the flaws they have, see enough potential in Sutton to make a roster spot for him on a team with two excellent backs sitting one, two.

And if you are going to use the pass blocking as the primary reason not to retain him, then you might as well cut Jackson as well.. and he has been taught how many years.

Smith fits because of experience in the scheme over Martin, Bush, Rouse or Giordano at this point.. I certainly don't think he is an elite safety, but he fit better than what we kept in the short term.

People need to jump off that crap.. saying it was a mistake not to retain a player like Smith isn't out the realm.. it was a freaking mistake.. Ted, Mike and company made it.. it is what it is. Just as they made some great calls as well, building a roster in the NFL is a hit and miss proposition by nature.. call them as we see them.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
IronMan
14 years ago

[People need to let go of the thought that Preseason standouts like Tyrell Sutton and Anthony Smith are missing links on this roster. They played well in the Preseason, well guess what? So did our Offensive Line!

"packfan4" wrote:

+1
djcubez
14 years ago

I would love to have a "speed" or "scat" back type to drop in here on certain situations just to add that element to our attack..

"pack93z" wrote:

I've thought this for a long time. Last two years I thought it would be Lumpkin, but first it was practice squad and then IR. This year I thought maybe Sutton would get through (even though he's technically not really a scat back). I mean, Lumpkin is on our practice squad now right? I wonder why he hasn't gotten a chance?
Felipe7777777
14 years ago
I agree we dont have a good change of pace back, ala Ahmad Bradshaw/Darren Sproles, etc...i thought Sutton would be at least close to that but apparently not...
blank
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

6h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

6h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

11h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

11h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

20h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

21h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.