RedSoxExcel
14 years ago
I do not know if this has been posted yet, did not find it. What you guys think? I'd say this guy makes a pretty good case for failure but then again I don't know his bias and he could have hated Ted Thompson all along.

Plus it would be nice to look at another team and see how they have drafted. To see how this 30/50 draft picks remain, 13 rating as adequate or above with one Pro Bowl pick compares to a good drafting team (i.e. Pats).

Maybe Ted Thompson Is Not Such A Draft Genius After All
By Todd Welter
Story Created: Oct 6, 2009

http://www.620wtmj.com/shows/llama/63635132.html 

"It is easy to second guess Ted Thompson after the legend he chased off wiped the floor of the team Thompson built. To the Favre zealots, I am starting to agree with you that Ted Thompson may be the most evil man to enter Wisconsin since Jim McMahon wore a green and gold jersey. Evil is a little harsh but I am starting to see why it might be time to drum up the let's run Ted Thompson out of town tune.

It is not because he ran off Brett Favre. Do not let ESPN fool you that he ran off Favre. Thompson moved on but handled it very badly. Thompson wanted a decision in a timely manner, not say mid-July. Favre said he was retired back in March 2008 and when he wanted Ted to kiss the Super Bowl ring, Thompson declined. Not exactly chasing him off. Sorry, but Ted did the right thing by putting the franchise before Brett. So please stop using the whole he ran off Favre as the war cry for wanting Thompson's demise.

Instead, use some rational, simple reasons for questioning his leadership. With the way the Thompson administration has been running things, there is plenty to question.

This is a man who is sitting on a surplus of salary cap cash and yet refuses to spend it. Only my grandma is cheaper than Thompson. This is a guy that was probably an Alan Faneca, Randy Moss and maybe a few other decent free agent parts from putting the team over the Super Bowl hump. Instead, he upgraded a 13-3 team by signing Brandon Chillar and the rest is 6-10 disappointment history.

I understand that he believes free agency is dangerous waters. Allowing this team to get younger and younger by the day, especially at the offensive line is like swimming through hurricane waters.

Should he spend the Packers' money like a drunken sailor? No, but this constant stubbornness to build through the draft has left this team exposed at critical areas. Most importantly the trenches and the general depth of this team. I got some good advice once (credit Bill Michaels) that told me that the best general managers should hit on 50% of their picks. The rest of the team then needs to be addressed through free agency and trades.

Just look at how the Vikings carved up the Packers yesterday. It was with a team built through solid drafting (Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin, Bryant McKinnie, Kevin Williams to name a few) and then free agent additions (Bernard Berrian, Brett Favre, Steve Hutchinson, Chester Taylor, and Antione Winfield) and a shrewd big trade (Jared Allen) to round out the rest. They addressed their depth with getting solid veterans when a rookie would not suffice. Thompson just keeps on plugging up the Packers' holes with more hopes and dreams.

Lately, he is drafting more nightmares. If you look at this so called draft guru's record, it is not so stellar that one might think. Just look at the track record (still on the team in bold, italics on IR).

1st-Aaron Rodgers, QB (best pick so far)
2nd-Nick Collins, DB (top five of his picks)
2nd-Terrence Murphy, WR (bust)
4th-Marvel Underwood, DB (bust)
4th-Brady Poppinga, LB (solid player/starter)
5th-Junius Coston, OL (bust)
5th-Mike Hawkins, DB (bust)
6th-Michael Montgomery, DL (great in the preseason, bust in the regular season)
6th-Craig Bragg, WR(did not even make the team)
7th-Kurt Campbell, LB (did not even make the team)
7th-William Whitticker, OL (bust)

That is eight busts out of 11 picks and just four players out of 11 picks that are still on the team.

1st-A.J. Hawk, LB (solid but should be the defensive face of this franchise)
2nd-Daryn Colledge, OL (decent guard but not a tackle)
2nd-Greg Jennings, WR (second best pick of the Thompson administration)
3rd-Abdul Hodge, LB (bust)
3rd-Jason Spitz, OL (adequate)
4th-Corey Rodgers, WR (did not make the team)
4th-Will Blackmon, DB (can not stay healthy, out for the year, time for the bust label)
5th-Ingle Martin, QB (still can not believe he actually drafted somebody named Ingle)
5th-Tony Moll, OL (Aaron Rodgers might have been crippled if they did not trade Moll away)
6th-Johnny Jolly, DT (solid)
6th-Tyrone Culver, DB (really got nothing out of him)
7th-Dave Tollefson, DE (never made the team)

That is seven busts out of 12 picks and only one star out of the class. 12 draft picks and one star, two solid players and two decent players. You should expect more out of that many picks.

1st-Justin Harrell, DT (has spent more time in the trainer's room than the field=bust)
2nd-Brandon Jackson, RB (good on 3rd downs, but this guy was supposed to be better)
3rd-James Jones, WR (solid but has yet to take that step forward from his solid rookie year)
3rd-Aaron Rouse, DB (playing him at safety was a bad idea from the beginning)
4th-Allen Barbre, OL (has played better but is still one of the reasons Aaron Rodgers is running for his life)
5th-David Clowney, WR (never made the team)
6th-Korey Hall, FB (solid)
6th-Desmond Bishop, LB (should be on the field but for some reason they do not allow him)
6th-Mason Crosby, K (solid kicker)
7th-DeShawn Wynn, RB (decent at best)

10 picks and nobody looks like they are heading towards a Pro Bowl career. Plus, the first rounder of that class should have never been taken in the first place.

2nd-Jordy Nelson, WR (solid WR, should turn into a really good third WR)
2nd-Brian Brohm, QB (on the practice squad but just looked awful when he was on the roster)
2nd-Pat Lee, CB (on IR, so gets a pass)
3rd-Jermichael Finley, TE (looked like he was going to be a bust, now looks like he might revolutionize the way TE is played)
4th-Jeremy Thompson, DL (not ready to be a backup but is counted on to be one)
4th-Josh Sitton, OL (committing too many penalties and helping in killing Rodgers' career)
5th-Breno Giacomini, OL (cut last year and now inactive through four games)
7th-Matt Flynn, QB (got the backup job but if Rodgers goes down, so does this season)
7th-Brett Swain, WR (did not make it last year but snuck on the roster this year)

Nobody at this point can be labeled a bust except Brohm. Still, only Finley and Nelson have shown they are ready for prime time. Yet the rest of the class is counted on to do the same and clearly they are not ready.

1st-B.J. Raji, DL (been hurt to start the year)
1st-Clay Matthews, LB (looks like he will be the LB that A.J. Hawk should be)
4th-T.J. Lang, OL (watched Jared Allen blow past him, not even close to being ready to handle significant snaps)
5th-Quinn Johnson, FB (looked good in the preseason, then they started to play for real and he has been inactive for that)
5th-Jamon Meredith, OL (Packers thought they could sneak him onto the practice squad, they were wrong)
6th-Jarius Wynn, DL (has he even seen the field yet?)
6th-Brandon Underwood, DB (same goes for him)
7th-Brad Jones, LB (and the same goes for him)

Can not really evaluate this draft class as it is the first year and Clay Matthews looks like he will be a stud. Plus, this was the first draft that Thompson got aggressive and moved up. The one problem, he drafted just two offensive lineman and one made the team.

When you look at his draft record, for a guy that is supposed to be a draft madman, he has really not hit a lot of home runs. 50 draft picks, 30 remain and I would say only 13 would rate as adequate or above with only one making the Pro Bowl (Jennings was named an alternate). Not exactly building a Super Bowl through the draft. Plus, this guy has shown he can not build up the trenches (where games are won and lost) through the draft. That is why Ted Thompson needs to start looking beyond the draft to build this team into a legit Super Bowl contender and not a preseason tease. If not, the drum beat for his dismissal will grow louder."
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
after reading jus a few of them ... authors is bias against Ted and we need a comparison against other GM's during the same years.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
Just a few points..

One, it's common practice to wait 3 years until you judge a draft class. Therefore we have 2005 and 2006 to go off of so far.

Two, you can't call Terrence Murphy a bust. Suffering a spinal injury does not make you a draft bust.

Out of the two draft classes we can judge right now, the Packers gained 3 Pro Bowl quality players (Rodgers, Jennings, Collins) including a franchise QB, 5 more players who are still starters (Poppinga, Hawk, Colledge, Spitz, Jolly) and a few bench players. That's an average of 4 starters and 1.5 Pro Bowl players per draft, which is absurd.

He may have a better argument in a little while though, because 2007 was possibly Thompson's worst draft to date with GB. 2006 was the best with 2005 right behind it (arguable), then 2008/2009 are close, and pulling up the rear is 2007.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago
LOL @

Can not really evaluate this draft class as it is the first year and Clay Matthews looks like he will be a stud.

What??

Cant evaluate????? but yet will say Clay looks to be a stud

WOW
gopackgo
14 years ago
Here is a few random 2005 draft classes I pulled.

Redskins
1. Carlos Rogers, CB, (9th overall)
1. Jason Campbell, QB, (25th overall)
4. Manuel White, FB, (120th overall)
5. Robert McCune, ILB, (154th overall)
6. Jared Newberry, OLB, (183rd overall)
7. Nehemiah Broughton, FB, (222nd overall)

Patriots
1 Logan Mankins Offensive Tackle (32)
3 Ellis Hobbs Cornerback (84)
3 Nick Kaczur Offensive Tackle (100)
4 James Sanders Strong Safety (133)
5 Ryan Claridge Outside Linebacker(170)
7 Matt Cassel Quarterback (230)
7 Andy Stokes Tight End (255)

Browns
1 3(3) Braylon EdwardsWR
2 2(34) Brodney Pool S
3 3(67) Charlie Frye QB
4 2(103) Antonio Perkins CB
5 3(139) David McMillan DE
6 2(176) Nick Speegle OLB
6 29(203) Andrew Hoffman DT
7 3(217) Jon Dunn OT

Bears
1 4(4) Cedric Benson HB
2 7(39) Mark Bradley WR
4 5(106) Kyle Orton QB
5 4(140) Airese Currie WR
6 7(181) Chris Harris S
7 6(220) Rodriques WilsonOLB

You can be the judge.
blank
subin
14 years ago
This may be the worst analysis i've ever read. Does this guy write for a living?
blank
Stevetarded
14 years ago
Wow, it only took 3 lines for this list to lose all of it's credibility.

"2nd-Terrence Murphy, WR (bust)"
blank
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
As with the others, the whole Terrance Murphy = bust thing ruins this.

And it's not like Thompson can't be criticized - several people here have done so, and credibly. But when the author's bias is that hyper-clear, there's no point in reading.
blank
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Most draft experts will tell you, if a teams gets two starters, they had a good draft. Hell Wolf took to his last year go have his best draft in 2000 when he got Clify, Tauscher, Franks.

Ted hasn't done bad.

05 Rodgers, Collins, with contributor Poppinga
06 Hawk,Colledge,Jennings,Spitz,Jolly with contributor Blackmon
07 no real starters, lots of contributors Jackson,Jones,Hall,Bishop,Crosby,Wynn
08 Finley Sitton contributors Nelson
09 Already getting some production from Raji and Matthews.

Looks pretty good, 06 really was a boom year.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Dulak
14 years ago
Interesting analysis by the author and us here at PH
Fan Shout
dhazer (1h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (2h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (2h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (18h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (21h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (23h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
26m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

30m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.