Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

Ted Thompson never has been one to ride the emotional roller coaster of an NFL season. He didnt do so during the 4-12 debacle of his first year as the Green Bay Packers general manger or in the 13-3 season of 2007.

Typically, he reserves judgment until after the season.

Thats why when Thompson made a statement like he did on Friday, just four games into the season, it was evident that his teams 2-2 start isnt sitting too well with him.

After a preseason in which the offense hit big play after big play, quarterback Aaron Rodgers was nearly flawless and the change to the 3-4 defense looked like an instant hit, the Packers find themselves among the middling teams in the NFC.

The preseason and the regular season are a whole different kettle of fish, but yeah, I would have thought we would have played a little bit better starting out, Thompson said. But at the same time, we feel like were a work in progress, and were going to get better.[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Avis=U0&Dato=20091009&Kategori=PKR01&Lopenr=91009165&Ref=TS&NewTbl=1&MaxW=380&Border=0[/img_r]

At their unusually early bye week, the Packers are tied for the eighth-best record in the NFC. After being a popular pick to win the NFC North, they stand in third place behind the unbeaten Minnesota Vikings (4-0) and the Chicago Bears (3-1). The Bears have won three straight and look like a different team than the one the Packers beat 21-15 in the opener at Lambeau Field.

Asked for his assessment of his team at the quarter pole of the season, Thompson said: I think everybody to a man would say we have room to improve. Were fighting, were scratching, were playing hard. But we think can do better. We think we can play better.

If the problems on defense dont come as a complete surprise given the overhaul coach Mike McCarthy made to his staff in the offseason, then the offensive struggles can be considered somewhat of a shocker.

The Packers rank 13th in the league in yards per game, 22nd in rushing yards and 12th in passing. They are eighth out of 32 teams in points but quarterback Aaron Rodgers has been sacked a league-high 20 times. Only one other team (Buffalo with 16 sacks allowed) has given up more than 13 sacks.

The Packers have played 2 games without starting left tackle Chad Clifton, who sustained an ankle injury midway through the Week 2 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals, and theyre trying to break in a new starting right tackle, Allen Barbre.

Still, Thompson refused to pin the offensive problems solely on the line.

The whole protection issue is a combination of things, Thompson said. Its the blocking, its the reads (by Rodgers), its the route running, its the running game, its the whole thing. All those things have to come together. I think we have a very potent offensive, but obviously weve stubbed our toe a little bit in terms of getting off to a good start.

For an offense that carried the Packers at times last season, when the defense struggled mightily, this wasnt something the Packers anticipated. After finishing their 6-10 season of 2008 ranked eighth in the league in total offense and then steamrolling through the first three preseason games, expectations were high for an offense that seemingly had multiple weapons in receivers Greg Jennings and Donald Driver, a healthy running back in Ryan Grant and an emerging tight end in Jermichael Finley.

The offensive production through four games this season is about the same as it was at this point last year, when through four games the Packers ranked 15th in yards, 23rd in rushing and 10th in passing. They had the same 2-2 record at this point last year.

Help for the offensive line could be on the way. Clifton is expected to return after the bye to play against Detroit on Oct. 18, and the Packers appear committed to re-signing Mark Tauscher, their primary right tackle from 2000 until he blew out his knee late last season. However, Thompson said on Friday that there was nothing to report on Tauscher.

On defense, the Packers havent generated the kind of pass rush they had hoped when McCarthy hired Dom Capers to implement the 3-4 scheme. They have just five sacks. Only four teams have generated fewer sacks and one of those, Carolina, has played only three games so far.

The Packers' best pass rusher, Aaron Kampman, who was twice a Pro Bowl player as a defensive end in large part because of his prowess as a pass rusher, has made only a minimal impact in his new role as an outside linebacker. He has just one sack this season.

The defense ranks 15th in yards allowed, 17th against the run and 18th against the pass, but most telling is that they are 22nd in points.

Asked whether the players are still feeling their way through the switch to the 3-4, Thompson said: To a degree.

But I think were playing good defense, he added. We had some breakdowns in each of the games that we can correct, but they are more fundamental or mental errors that we made. Weve shown that we have the versatility amongst our players to play pretty high quality defense. Again, this is an area where were continually going to improve.

Thompson wouldnt call the three-game stretch immediately after the bye, with games against Detroit, at Cleveland and a rematch with Minnesota, critical, but it could make or break the season. Another loss to the Vikings could have playoff ramifications because they would lose a head-to-head tiebreaker.

Weve played a quarter of the season, so weve got a long way to go, Thompson said. Our team is confident enough, but at the same time we understand that we have the work to do. I think we have the kind of team where if we play well, I do think we have (a playoff) team. I think we have that kind of people on our team.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I don't think we should be a work in progress after he's had this many years to build this team.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

Still, Thompson refused to pin the offensive problems solely on the line.

The whole protection issue is a combination of things, Thompson said. Its the blocking, its the reads (by Rodgers), its the route running, its the running game, its the whole thing. All those things have to come together. I think we have a very potent offensive, but obviously weve stubbed our toe a little bit in terms of getting off to a good start.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Keep sticking your head in the sand, plugging your ears, shutting your eyes and sing lalalalalalala all freaking bye week.. that will sure the hell fix things.

To say that I am disappoint in the lack of urgency of this staff is a f%#$ing understatement, they didn't even bother to bring in more lineman to gather options.. nothing.. I getting close to closing my openness to this regime.. you are getting your asses handed to you at the line of scrimmage on offense.. yet you sit on your hands.. damn it all.

I am tried on this caca.. sick and f%#$ing tired of hearing we have some things to fix. I tired of the "I think" statements.. I'm tired of this roller coaster of performance from this offensive line and the stubbornness not to make changes.. four years of it has worn me out.

Fix the issues or get the hell out.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
14 years ago
Sorry about the rant.. clipping video together.. I think I have heaved a couple of times in the process.. ;)

The last couple years it has been the interior of the line that was porous.. now the exterior because of poor personnel playing while we had solid bookend tackles and could have groomed the next wave.. arghhh..

Good thing is I have readjusted my expectations of this team... playoffs at this point would be a bonus.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

I don't think we should be a work in progress after he's had this many years to build this team.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Agreed. Ted has had more than enough time to turn the franchise around.
UserPostedImage
sunflower100
14 years ago
Too be fair, you know he isn't going to publicly call out anybody or say anything bad. Any GM (well not the chargers GM) is going to be PC when talking to the media.
blank
14 years ago
It's always a work in progress. Always.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
14 years ago
It's been four games guys. Four. Look at the statistics, we are basically the same offensively as we were in the first four games last year and we haven't even started performing well yet. The team will show it's true colors as we near the midpoint of the season.
beast
14 years ago

they didn't even bother to bring in more lineman to gather options.. nothing..

"pack93z" wrote:

I heard they brought in Tausher and Jones (former starting LT for the Bengals) for a look...

Also I really think they should keep the starters at their spots. With Colledge, Spitz and Sitton in the middle they should be able to run the ball better (if Mike McCarthy is willing to stick with the running game).....

also Lang has looked better at OT (though he might of been getting more help than College was... not sure about that though)...
UserPostedImage
LambeauEast
14 years ago
Yeah, we've been a "work in progress" for quite a while now. And as pack93 said, I too am getting close to closing my openness with this regime.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (13h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (17h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (18h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (20h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (20h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (21h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.