Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

GREEN BAY As the father of six kids ranging from 8 to 21 years old, Joe Philbin has reviewed his share of homework over the years.

But as the Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator and the rest of the coaching staff particularly head coach Mike McCarthy, defensive coordinator Dom Capers and special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum were picking up the pieces following Monday nights dispiriting 30-23 loss to Brett Favre and the Minnesota Vikings at the Metrodome, it was one particular assignment that sprung to Philbins mind Tuesday.

My son, they asked him a question in school, What do you do when an obstacle comes your way? Philbin said, one day after the Packers offense rolled up 424 yards but had just 16 points to show for its efforts, in part because of the eight sacks quarterback Aaron Rodgers endured. It was a full-length essay question, and he answered it, Dodge em. And he spelled it D-O-D-G-E-M. Needless to say, he was not on the deans list that semester.

So Im going to take a page from him. Theres no magic to this game; theres no simple answers, either. Eight sacks, thats a lot of sacks. We had a bunch of yards and 16 points. This games about scoring points. You go 81 yards, you get nothing; you turn the ball over twice on their side of the field.

I dont think its a total woe-is-us attitude. We know what the problems are. We need to work to get them corrected quickly.

Theyd better, since theyre entering their bye week with a 2-2 record and looking nothing like the playoff-caliber team most expected them to be this season. While the players will come in on Wednesday to watch film, they have Thursday through Sunday off and will return to practice Monday.

When they do, they have plenty of work to do.

On offense, both the offensive line and Rodgers, who held onto the ball too long on at least two of the eight sacks, will have to work through their protection problems. Rodgers has been sacked 20 times through the first four games, the most a Packers quarterback has suffered since the NFL started keeping individual sack statistics in 1963.

Their problems were encapsulated on a tone-setting turnover on first-and-10 from Minnesotas 24-yard line on the Packers opening possession Monday night. Rodgers held onto the ball too long on a three-step drop and tackles Daryn Colledge and Allen Barbre didnt execute their blocks properly, leading to Vikings defensive ends Jared Allen and Bryan Robison to sack Rodgers and force a fumble, which Chad Greenway recovered.

Thats a basic play, Football 101, the first drop-back pass we put in. Its a simple play. Youve got a million reps in it. Its frustrating, Philbin said. I think both parties (were at fault). Could we have gotten it out quicker? Yeah, I think we couldve. Should we have blocked it better, with both tackles? Absolutely.

Its frustrating.

The offensive line could get a lift when the Packers return to game action Oct. 18 against the Detroit Lions if veteran left tackle Chad Clifton, who has missed the last two games with a sprained ankle suffered against Cincinnati on Sept. 20, returns. While Clifton may not have shut Allen out Monday night, he probably wouldnt have given up 4.5 sacks, either.

Your left tackle has to block the Jared Allens of the world. That's the way we're designed, said McCarthy, whose team is also poised to re-sign veteran right tackle Mark Tauscher.I think it will definitely help. But it's just not one guy. It's really the combination of some of the things in the protection unit that we need to do a better job of, and frankly, some of it falls on the quarterbacks decisions and his time clock.

But the offensive problems go beyond protection. Receivers dropped three more passes including tight end Donald Lees drop of a would-be touchdown on fourth-and-goal from the 1-yard line with 2:12 left in the third quarter and the Packers down 14 points running the Packers league-leading total to 13. And while halfback Ryan Grant gained 51 yards on only 11 carries, Philbin felt he left some yards on the field again.

Were dropping too many balls. Were not protecting well enough. Were not breaking enough tackles when were running the ball. You cant point to one position on this offense where you can say, Those guys are humming. Theyre rolling, Philbin said. The last two weeks, weve gotten over 400 yards both weeks, but were not scoring enough points.

Weve got to play consistently better. Theres too much up-and-down in our offense. Its hard for us to really play with the rhythm and tempo we want to play with the way were playing right now.

Then theres the defense, and veteran cornerback Charles Woodsons pointed criticism of both general manager Ted Thompsons personnel moves and Capers decision not to call more blitzes against Favre (24 for 31, 271 yards, three TDs) on Monday night.

After watching Derrick Martin blow two coverages against the Vikings, Woodson questioned Thompson for releasing safety Anthony Smith (The decision to get rid of a guy who knows this defense in and out and made plays for us in the preseason thats a big dent in this defense), then questioned Capers failure to go after Favre (I dont see why we dont throw the kitchen sink at him, instead of just sitting back ... To run a lot of different things during the week and in the game not get them called, its a little frustrating).

Asked if he might have a problem on his hands with Woodson being so outspoken, McCarthy replied: I don't think I have a problem at all. I have talked to Charles about Anthony Smith, and I'll say this about Charles Woodson: He's as competitive as a player that we have not only on our football team but probably in the National Football League. I'm sure that a lot of that was emotionally driven. These are things that are talked about. I don't ever shy away from an opinion that does not agree with mine. Every decision we do make here is obviously with a lot of thought. I don't think we have an issue.

While McCarthy acknowledged that, after Favre beat a couple of blitzes early, Dom was hesitant at times to probably go back to that, Capers said his decision not to blitz more was because of his focus on stopping running back Adrian Peterson, whom the Packers held to 55 yards on 25 attempts.

We were concerned about big plays in the running game, and their biggest play there was 12 yards, Capers said. If youd have told me going into the game that theyd have 30 rushes for 63 yards and 2.1 a rush, I would take that. Now, what I would like to see us do is be able to disrupt the passing game more and be able to get off the field on third down better. Our priority was to stop the run, we made a big commitment there and we accomplished that. When you do that, you also want to be able to play the pass and not give up the big pass play, and we ended up, I think we had four pass plays that accounted for 122 yards of their offense.

We pressured a little bit early and forced some quick throws early, and then they hit a couple in there on us. And it was obvious that their game-plan was going to be protection conscious and to throw the ball quick, to try to avoid our pressure. You have to make a decision. Because if you decide youre going to come after them every down to try to prove a point, youre probably going to have some big runs coming out of there if theyre handing the ball off to Peterson and youve got everybody up the field.

As for Woodsons criticism, Capers chalked it up to run-of-the-mill player frustration and said he wouldnt take it personally.

Pressures an interesting thing. Ive never been around a defensive player yet that wouldnt like to pressure every down, Capers said. But we spend a lot of time looking at the success and failure of all these things. Its kind of a risk-reward thing, and there are certain times when you feel more comfortable bringing pressure than other times. I would love to pressure every down, but I dont think its the wisest thing to do.

Weve played four games. You go back and critique what was good, what wasnt so good, what areas you feel you need to improve in. So well critique everything that weve been doing and see what we need to add or delete moving forward.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
If the worst thing we can say about Rodgers is that he held the ball too long on 25% of his sacks, I think that indicates we have a quarterback most teams would kill to steal from us.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
14 years ago
Hmm it's interesting because most stats point to the fact that were a good team killing ourselves.

Good
- We've scored more points than we've allowed
- We have a +7 on the turnover differential

Bad
- We are top 5 in most penalties
- We lead the league in drops
- We lead the league in sacks allowed

Basically, if we reduce the mistakes we should be winning football games, but for some reason we can't seem to shake the penalties, the drops or give decent time to the QB.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Heh, last year, with our 6-10 record, we also outscored our opponents over the course of the entire season.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
14 years ago

Heh, last year, with our 6-10 record, we also outscored our opponents over the course of the entire season.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

And isn't this season looking eerily similar. That's why I think more pressure should be applied to McCarthy than Thompson. Clearly the talent is there.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Two losses 7 or less points already??
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I've never been high on Philbin, but I must say I liked his comments here.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
14 years ago

Bad

"djcubez" wrote:

As long as Mike McCarthy is the coach, these two stats will not change. He doesn't hold players accountable for mistakes.

And for the. "What do you expect him to do?!" crowd....

I expect him to do his damn job. He's the head coach. He gets paid A LOT of money to correct these things. He is responsible for what happens on the field. Figure it out.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Bad

"IronMan" wrote:

As long as Mike McCarthy is the coach, these two stats will not change. He doesn't hold players accountable for mistakes.

And for the. "What do you expect him to do?!" crowd....

I expect him to do his damn job. He's the head coach. He gets paid A LOT of money to correct these things. He is responsible for what happens on the field. Figure it out.

"djcubez" wrote:

Doesn't that just irk ya? The comment of 'what ya expect him to do?' it's simple in my eyes... I want to see IMPROVEMENT! Meaning, not hte same mistakes over and over and over again with the same line every week (and i mean every) about 'cleaning it up'.

If Mike McCarthy were running a cleaning business, he'd be called Homeless Mikey.

Think of it like this. Brad Childress is hated even by Vikings fans and yet he's won two more games every season. Where as we went from 8 to 13 to ... 6??
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago
I suppose the fact that the Vikings have far better players in key areas is of no consequence...

Cmon guys. You should know it's never simple.

Right now we can all agree that the combination of coaching, management, players and work ethic isn't working. One, or several, of those aspects is causing this team to underperform.

I'm an advocate of breaking down errors by returning to first principles. If the end result isn't right, you start from the beginning and work down. You don't single out an easy target and make a rash decision.
blank
Fan Shout
beast (6h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (7h) : damn those vikings
beast (8h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (8h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (8h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (8h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (8h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (15h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (15h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (16h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.