RedSoxExcel
14 years ago
This is not based on any kind of scientific proof, so take it for what its worth, which is simply an opinion. But we can discuss and maybe its not true and I'm harping on a few examples.

But lately I get the feeling a lot of people are getting sick of the Packers fans whining and crying about Favre considering the success he gave the Packers, especially from fans of lets say "not so good" teams. For example, like the message boards or comments on articles on ESPN or whereever, a lot of people are throwing out comments about how Packers fans have no class for crapping on Favre for wanting to play, etc.

I have a lot of friends that are fans of the Lions because I'm from Canada and they can't stand Packers fan anymore. I said last year that they shouldn't crap on Calvin Johnson so much because he's solid, and they have not let me live it down because they keep comparing it to the way a lot of Packers fan talk about Favre - "we're 0-16, you had ONE losing season in the past 16 years".

Like that whole burning Favre gear, crossing out #4's and replacing them with #12s on jerseys, the "Brent Who" shirts, etc. Do you think it has created a kind of Packers fans "spoiled" resentment from fans of crappier teams? I was in the mall the other day and some guy had a "In with the New, Out with the Old" T-shirt with a #12. Like I ordered a Rodgers jersey from a friend because he's our QB (do I still think Favre gave us a better chance of winning last year, of course) but he is our QB and he's done very well. But I don't know why you have to crap on Favre at the same time.

I get the raw emotion from having a fan favourite going to a rival fan but not all NFL fans see the story the way Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy make it out to be. And some fans I think conclude that he wants to play and the Packers didn't want him so he played somewhere else - why destroy 16 years of memories - life goes on.

When the media was loving Favre, the average fan hated him because he was stuffed down their throat. Now the media has turned on him, I think the average fan is hoping he proves them wrong.

My friends are now the biggest Favre fans, just so he sticks it to the Packers and their fans (me included). Their thinking is that they hate his off-field drama, etc. but on the field, they always respected him for heroics and playing hard and they don't get the crapping on Favre stuff.
blank
RedSoxExcel
14 years ago
Oh yeah and I think if 70,000 boo him in Nov, I think that will be the nail in the coffin IMO. I don't think everyone will boo him, but thats not based on anything, so who knows.

But I think a lot of people are going to feel bad for Favre at the point and be like "hey, he just wanted to play football and they didn't want him".

We have to account for the fact that I don't think the average fan is as well versed in all the drama that went on here, i.e. flights to Favre's house, etc.

No doubt about it, at hte beginning of hte season, I bet a majority of NFL were sick of him but I think there is a tide turning, especially with that miracle win against the 49ers. I think this Michael Silver (who is kind of a hater on Favre) sums up what some fans are thinking:

OK, so maybe its time to re-think this whole Brett Favre(notes) return thing. Yes, hes got drama-queen tendencies. Absolutely, hes indecisive. And Im convinced that hes out for revenge on Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy, which isnt very becoming of a legend. But after what Favre did Sunday, its all good. Seriously, was that 32-yard touchdown pass to Greg Lewis(notes) with two seconds left that gave the Minnesota Vikings a 27-24 victory over the San Francisco 49ers not one of the sickest plays ever? Favre, having driven the Vikes from their own 20 with 1:29 left and no timeouts, took a shotgun snap with 12 seconds left, pumped once, rolled to his right and calmly sidestepped onrushing 49ers defensive end Justin Smith(notes). With linebacker Manny Lawson(notes) bearing in from behind and preparing to pummel Favre in the back, he calmly fired a pass to the back of the end zone. Wideout Greg Lewis, a late Patriots cut who had yet to catch a pass for the Vikes, went up and got the ball while somehow managing to drag his feet inbounds and gave a future first-ballot Hall of Famer another signature moment. Unbelievable!!! said Vikings kicker Ryan Longwell(notes) (via text), who played with Favre for nine years in Green Bay. The legend only grows!!! The timing couldnt be any cooler, either Favres 3-0 Vikings host Aaron Rodgers(notes) and the 2-1 Packers next Monday night in a game that 99.9 percent of all players on the other 30 teams will be watching. And Ill go ahead and say it now even if Favres comeback takes a negative turn and the Vikings season implodes, it was still a great thing that he returned, if only for that magical moment. We all agree that Sage Rosenfels(notes) or Tarvaris Jackson(notes) wouldnt have been able to do what Favre did Sunday. Now think about all the Hall of Fame quarterbacks, current and future, who couldnt possibly have pulled off that particular play and realize that Favre turns 40 in two weeks. That was his early birthday present to us. Well, unless youre the 49ers. Asked via text if he could believe what had just happened, San Francisco quarterback Shaun Hill(notes), a former Vikings backup, replied, Nope. Still cant.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-morningrush092809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns 
blank
IronMan
14 years ago
I think that the reason so many people "hate" Brett Favre is not because of Brett, but because of his fans that refuse to ever criticize him or hold him accountable for anything.

A lot of those same Favre fans hate Aaron Rodgers just because he isn't Favre; and actually root against him for that reason.

So, to combat the Favre fanatic/Rodgers haters, a lot of Packers fans have retaliated by bashing Brett Favre.

This isn't true for everyone. Some people have never liked Brett. But I firmly believe 90% of the Favre hate is directly related to his crazy fans that think he can do no wrong.
obi1
14 years ago
There is no slowly about it.

Part of the allure of the Packers WAS Brett Favre and Reggie White, then Brett Favre. Now he is out and a lot of people are the Favre bandwagoners who dislike or hate the non Favre, or the PACKERS FIRST fans.

I see this hatred today on THIS board as well as other team's fan clubs.
blank
Tezzy
14 years ago
I really don't have much thought onto this. I know my personal friends who aren't Packers fans still hate me as much as they always have 🙂 It used to be they hated me because they were tired of Favre playing forever. I don't think anything has drastically changed because Favre is no longer here. Heck, now that Favre is in Minny, their boards are still filled with hate over who should backup Favre, TJoke or Rosencopter. The last two years were just bringing attention to GB for reasons outside of actual football. I don't think that has really had any national impact of the perception of Packers fans. I think most people realize the monumental task that was involved with the changing of the guard. It was a first, no team has ever had a QB start that many consequtive seasons for them, so I don't think anyone knew how to handle it. At this point, with this game Monday finally happening, I think it's finally done and we can just talk football. Of course the media won't let us have that peace, but it's all good in my mind.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
dhazer
14 years ago

This is not based on any kind of scientific proof, so take it for what its worth, which is simply an opinion. But we can discuss and maybe its not true and I'm harping on a few examples.

But lately I get the feeling a lot of people are getting sick of the Packers fans whining and crying about Favre considering the success he gave the Packers, especially from fans of lets say "not so good" teams. For example, like the message boards or comments on articles on ESPN or whereever, a lot of people are throwing out comments about how Packers fans have no class for crapping on Favre for wanting to play, etc.

I have a lot of friends that are fans of the Lions because I'm from Canada and they can't stand Packers fan anymore. I said last year that they shouldn't crap on Calvin Johnson so much because he's solid, and they have not let me live it down because they keep comparing it to the way a lot of Packers fan talk about Favre - "we're 0-16, you had ONE losing season in the past 16 years".

Like that whole burning Favre gear, crossing out #4's and replacing them with #12s on jerseys, the "Brent Who" shirts, etc. Do you think it has created a kind of Packers fans "spoiled" resentment from fans of crappier teams? I was in the mall the other day and some guy had a "In with the New, Out with the Old" T-shirt with a #12. Like I ordered a Rodgers jersey from a friend because he's our QB (do I still think Favre gave us a better chance of winning last year, of course) but he is our QB and he's done very well. But I don't know why you have to crap on Favre at the same time.

I get the raw emotion from having a fan favourite going to a rival fan but not all NFL fans see the story the way Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy make it out to be. And some fans I think conclude that he wants to play and the Packers didn't want him so he played somewhere else - why destroy 16 years of memories - life goes on.

When the media was loving Favre, the average fan hated him because he was stuffed down their throat. Now the media has turned on him, I think the average fan is hoping he proves them wrong.

My friends are now the biggest Favre fans, just so he sticks it to the Packers and their fans (me included). Their thinking is that they hate his off-field drama, etc. but on the field, they always respected him for heroics and playing hard and they don't get the crapping on Favre stuff.

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

I gave you a +1 for taking the time and writing that up RedSox nice read and opinions.

You are right and i'm sure its hard for some Packer fans to relalize how us fans are looking to other fans. I get crap all the time from people on here when i say how are fans have been dropping in class over the past 2 years.

I can speak for myself and i'm sure Dfoster can also seeing we are both out here in PA where noone really cares about the NFC North and i have been getting shit from the Steeler fans on all the hatred towards a legend, they say we aren't even close to them in the best fans race anymore.

Alot of people i see out now are always bringing up Brett and how i felt he was treated even when im wearing a Rodgers jersey. Most of the people out here want to see the Vikings kick the Packers ass just for the sake of sticking it to the man.

I know other live outside of Packer nation and i would love to hear what people are saying around them.

Once again nice write up :thumbright:
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Tezzy
14 years ago
Though not far out of Packers nation, being in Bears territory, I don't hear this stuff at all about the Packers fans. I would have thought the media here in Chicago would take more shots at that type of thing if it was a big topic. I take every chance I can here to call in and rip on the Bears fans and how they treat their teams, but don't hear anything about what type of fans we are.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Cheesey
14 years ago
Non Packer fans have been looking for SOMETHING to piss and moan about us for a long time.
I don't really think it's any different now then it was 10 years ago.
Those that hate us, always hated us.
My answer to them is----Who cares?
If you hate me for my opinion on the whole BF mess, then you are pretty shallow yourself and need to look at yourself in the mirror.
If thats what you use to gauge your dislike of someone, you have a pretty bad outlook on life.
I have friends that are Bears fans, Viking fans, Steeler fans, and so on. Some can get pretty crazy about their teams. So what? They, and I, know it's ONLY A SPORT!!!
If thats you highest goal, then you are shooting pretty low in my opinion.
UserPostedImage
RedSoxExcel
14 years ago
I don't know I guess we all have different experiences. I know the reason I became a Packers fan was based on the fans. As a kid, I got to go to a game at Lambeau and thats why I like the Packers in the first place. Unbelievably knowledgable fans, great fanbase, really respectful of the game and the other team even.

I've moved a lot growing up and even now and I never really experienced that general Packers fan hate at all. Like Cowboys, Eagles, Patriots, etc. yeah but people always liked Packers fans and respected them in my general experiences.

But overall, someone I know thats a Lions fan really put it in perspective for me recently. He basically said from his view

"Favre wanted to play, Packers rightfully moved on (they should not have even entertained the idea of a return because Favre's a baby and drama queen) and so Favre moved on. He wanted to play, the Vikings wanted him, is that really enough to destroy 16 years to the point where Packers fans are burning Favre gear and going to boo him?"

I also think that Packers are in a no-win situation because I don't think that the Packers fan inherently are any worse than any other fan base. If Big Ben left the Steelers in a similar manner, there would be a group of Steelers fans that would boo Big Ben and burn his jersey and forget the two Super Bowls. Its just an unfortunate situation that the Packers nation is in.
blank
RedSoxExcel
14 years ago

I think that the reason so many people "hate" Brett Favre is not because of Brett, but because of his fans that refuse to ever criticize him or hold him accountable for anything.

A lot of those same Favre fans hate Aaron Rodgers just because he isn't Favre; and actually root against him for that reason.

So, to combat the Favre fanatic/Rodgers haters, a lot of Packers fans have retaliated by bashing Brett Favre.

This isn't true for everyone. Some people have never liked Brett. But I firmly believe 90% of the Favre hate is directly related to his crazy fans that think he can do no wrong.

"IronMan" wrote:

Is some random person that refuses to criticize him or hold him accountable for anything really turning that many people off of Favre? Is that really enough to erase 16 years? Erase the Raiders MNF game, the Ironman record, the 3 MVPs, the Super Bowl, etc?

If 90% of people now turning on Favre is because of a few people refusing to criticize Favre, then he did not mean that much to that fan base in the first place IMO.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (1h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (4h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (4h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (4h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (4h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (5h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (15h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (17h) : damn those vikings
beast (17h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (17h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (17h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (17h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (17h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

51m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.