Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Labor Orgasms Called 'Best-Kept Secret'

Moms, Experts Say Relaxation Is Key to Pleasurable Childbirth

By JUJU CHANG and GAIL DEUTSCH

Dec. 9, 2008

Painful. Excruciating. Unbearable. These are the words most often associated with childbirth.

But what about pleasurable? Blissful? Euphoric?

Some women even say that instead of agony, childbirth can be ecstasy.

Amber Hartnell of Hawaii said she experienced an orgasm during labor when she gave birth to her son in September 2005.

"All of a sudden the orgasm just started rolling through and rolling through, and it just kept coming, and my whole body was spiraling and rolling, and I was laughing and crying," she said.

Hard to imagine? Hartnell and her husband, Nassim Haramein, were shocked as well. Although they had spent many hours planning for their son's birth, in a tub under a tree outside their home, they say they never planned for an "orgasmic" birth.

Haramein was amazed -- and also relieved -- to see his wife experience such pleasure.

"It made me feel like everything was gonna be all right," he said. "The experience didn't have to be a traumatic, painful experience. It could be an experience of ecstatic joy."

"It is, as we say, the best-kept secret," said Debra Pascali-Bonaro, a childbirth educator for 26 years. "I believe by women having such terrible fear. Women aren't getting the choices they need, to make the experience as easy as possible."

Labor Orgasms Are 'Basic Science'

To prove that it is possible to have pleasure in childbirth, Pascali-Bonaro made a documentary called "Orgasmic Birth."

Tamra and Simon Larter of suburban New Jersey were one of the couples that allowed Pascali-Bonaro to film their most intimate moments of labor. For their second child, the Larters wanted a natural birth with midwives at their home. They spent part of Tamra Larter's labor kissing and caressing.

"The physical touch and the nurturing was just really comforting to me," Tamra Larter said, adding that she ultimately experienced an orgasmic birth. "It was happening, and I could hardly breathe, and it was like, 'oh, that feels good.' That's all I could say really."

Click here to read more and watch the newscast. 

I first read about this phenomenon when I was about 12 (yes, I was sneaking behind my parents' backs) in a book from the 1960s entitled The Joy of Natural Childbirth  by Helen Wessel (link is to listing for fifth edition). I was determined to secure this kind of joyful childbirth for my future wife.

Unfortunately, with our twins, there were pregnancy complications, and much against my better judgment, we allowed the doctors to induce my wife. Even with the Pitocin, however, she had entirely pain-free contractions. Unfortunately, after several hours of labor, she hadn't dilated at all, and (almost certainly due to the Pitocin itself), the smaller baby's heartrate started to bottom out. We pleaded for more time to allow nature to take its course, but they told us that if we didn't consent to an emergency cesarean, they would bring in a social worker and charge us with neglect or child endangerment, thereby forcing us to get the cesarean. I don't know if I'll ever fully get over my anger at the way our wishes were overruled, but what's done is done. We're definitely determined to do it our way next time.

As I said, however, there's nothing new about this knowledge. In Travels , his book of autobiographical sketches, Michael Crichton relates his observations as a Harvard medical student back in the 1960s. Back then, Boston General had well-equipped wards for the rich women able to pay and basic (charity) wards for the women too poor to way. He describes the startling differences in childbirth experiences he noted between the two wards: In the rich ward, women were able to afford every possible pain-relieving medical procedure, yet he says the women were typically yelling, carrying on, screaming profanities, and generally relating tales of anguish and agony. In stark contrast, over the charity ward, where the women didn't have access to anaesthesia, the women were generally quiet and peaceful, experiencing uneventful, even joyful labors.

Studies recently have corroborated Crichton's observations. They have revealed that women who have natural childbirths report much lower subjective perceptions of pain and emotional suffering than their counterparts who get spinals, epidurals, etc. I know this pattern has held true in my own family: My sister has had two natural childbirths and remembers virtually no pain, whereas my mother had nine cesareans . . . and to hear her tell the tale, each one was an experience of sheer agony.

During natural childbirth, the woman's body is flooded with amnesiac hormones like prolactin and oxytocin -- the same hormones that cause orgasms -- that literally block out memories of the experience, such that it's all fuzzy afterward, whereas anaesthetic drugs block the release of these hormones. If you've ever noticed that if you start touching your lover after a knock-down, drag-out fight, you suddenly can't remember what you were fighting about, you've experienced the amnesiac effects of oxytocin.
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
14 years ago
my c-section was a breeze! no complications, no pain, no problems at all. i had no choice with my twins as they were laying sideways which is not conducive with fitting thru the birth canal at all!!

i'll just be quiet on the orgasm issue. 🙂
vikesrule
14 years ago

...i'll just be quiet on the orgasm issue.

"4PackGirl" wrote:

Ya, rumor the street is that you're not a "screamer". ::razz:
Trippster
14 years ago
you mean one can have an orgasm while pushing a bowling ball out their ass?

Cheesey, is that true?
"Let Your Light Shine!"
Porforis
14 years ago

you mean one can have an orgasm while pushing a bowling ball out their ass?

"Trippster" wrote:

Sex ed must not be what it used to :<
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

my c-section was a breeze! no complications, no pain, no problems at all. i had no choice with my twins as they were laying sideways which is not conducive with fitting thru the birth canal at all!!

i'll just be quiet on the orgasm issue. :)

"4PackGirl" wrote:

My wife who had two C's and worked in several Dr offices as a Medical Assistant said "eewwwww"
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago
I've heard about this 'phenomenon' by accident a little while ago. I don't have any preference as to which route my wife takes, although I wouldn't mind seeing her do the all natural childbirth... Ok, that sounded wrong, but whatever.

Ultimately, it's her choice. And I'll have her back no matter which way she wants to choose.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
4PackGirl
14 years ago

i'll just be quiet on the orgasm issue. :)

"wpr" wrote:

My wife who had two C's and worked in several Dr offices as a Medical Assistant said "eewwwww"

"4PackGirl" wrote:

lol!! suffice it to say with 13 lbs worth of babies in me, laying from one side of me to the other, i was VERY uncomfortable!!
Fan Shout
dhazer (2h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (3h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (3h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (19h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (22h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
52m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.