millertime
14 years ago
I'm not quite sure if this deserves its only topic, but bear with me.

Like the rest of you, I was so stoked for the season to start after watching our offense and defense destroy teams all preseason. I felt like we had no weak links. Our biggest problems throughout Ted Thompson and MM's tenure in GB- pass protection and run blocking on offense and getting pressure on the QB on defense- were cured.

So after the first two games, like most of you, I am utterly confused and disappointed with our teams performance. And I think I realized what led to our false hope for our team.

Teams typically don't blitz often during the preseason.

Our offense faced D's all preseason long that barely blitzed. This made our o-line appear much better than they actually were.

Caper's blitz frequently during the preseason. Teams didn't gameplan against our D, and as a result we got the QB a lot this preseason. This made our defense appear much better than it actually was.

Now teams have a full preseason of tape to watch on our defensive blitz packages, while we have to guess on most teams or use tape from last year.
Now we see what happens when teams blitz our offense and gameplan against our defense. We aren't used to it.

I also think our players felt a false sense of accomplishment for what they did during the preseason. It's been mentioned that the team did not take the Bengals seriously last weekend and they payed the price. The NFC North is up for grabs this year. The Vikes are beating the teams they're supposed to beat. Chicago is beating the teams they aren't supposed to beat. A loss to a team like the Bengals could really come back to bite us in the ass in December.

I have faith in our QB, our WRs, and our defense. I hope I am wrong on this one, but if we don't right the ship now, it is going to be another heartbreaking season.
Greg C.
14 years ago
Yes, I think the blitzing explains a lot of the difference we're seeing between the preseason and the regular season. But it still doesn't quite add up. Last year, our offense was pretty good in the regular season, and there was reason to believe they would be better this season, with Aaron Rodgers having a valuable year of experience under his belt and Jermichael Finley emerging as a threat. The only area where it looked like there could be regression was the offensive line, but heck, Scott Wells got beat out for his job, so Tauscher seemed to be the only real loss. I did not think that the loss of Mark Tauscher would more than cancel out the gains in other areas. Something else must have gone wrong. I'm not quite sure what it is.

As for the defense, I was not completely sold on it after the preseason because I knew they were blitzing way more than most other teams, but then when they looked so impressive against the Bears, I thought we were on our way to seeing a really good Packer defense this year. Then came the Cincinnati game. I don't know which of the two defenses we've seen is the "real" Packer defense. It's probably somewhere in between, but I do still have hope that it will improve and be closer to the defense we saw in week one.
blank
nerdmann
14 years ago
Capers was only using "about 1/3" of his blitzes. Basically he was just calling real basic stuff, just to make sure the guys could execute.
I'm disgusted with the OL, and that's been the past 3-4 years.
However, I think what cost us v the BeenGirls was that we had a ton of dropped passes.
Finley, Jennings, Driver, Grant's fumble. These were all drive killers. Then you add in the big special teams returns Cinci had.
That game was winnable. If we keep them off the field, they score less than 20 points, and the good guys win.
There's also Crosby. Maybe it's his "ab strain."
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
porky88
14 years ago
We'll find out as the year goes on. I think preseason is meant to encourage or discourage fans based on how the 1s look. Beyond that it's meaningless.
gotarace
14 years ago

We'll find out as the year goes on. I think preseason is meant to encourage or discourage fans based on how the 1s look. Beyond that it's meaningless.

"porky88" wrote:

Ding Ding Ding ...we have a winner here...+1
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
The pre season was exciting because we saw plays being made. Not just ANYONE can make a play, but the fact that we executed and executed well was nice to see for a change.

The problem? I think the Packers believed the hype and became content with their level of pre season success and failed to strive to be better.

As coach says, if you're not trying to get better, you've just gotten worse.
UserPostedImage
kobe16
14 years ago
I think at time we try to play better than we are instead of just playing the way we always do.
UserPostedImage
packersfan99
14 years ago
I also think the preseason is meant to encourage, our defence just had a bad day, with collins out at halftime, and our OL is plagued by injuries. The next game we will be ready.
blank
dfosterf
14 years ago
I enjoyed the preseason hype immensely. It's not my job as a fan to either buy into or dismiss it. That's for coaches and players. I only have so much to work with, and I choose to be optimistic when I can be, especially coming off a 6-10 and one big load of fiasco bullshit season. I'm not giving up on anyone, either. I'm going to yell a lot, but that is ultimately different.

I think Mike has made some outstanding moves as a head football coach. He is batting way above average in developing skill position players, imo.

Bitch is, this friggin' o-line not only faked us out as fans, it faked him out too, and THAT is a very big problem to have. Of course I remained suspicious, and who wouldn't be, but I was hopeful. That o-line surprised me last year by at least becoming semi-functional , and maybe the same will happen again this year. I don't see for the life of me how that is going to happen, but would love to be pleasantly surprised.

...And if not, maybe I will get some some more fellow posters to jump on my "unf$ck the offensive line first" bandwagon. I knew I wasn't going to get my way in the last couple of years, because (I have used this before) these guys gotta play a constant game of personnel "whack-a-mole".

Our D needed some real help, and they got it. I do not fear for our d long-term for this year. I see us getting gashed, but I also see the potential to fix it, both in bodies and coaching. Damn if I can figure out how the hell we are going to fix that o-line though.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

I enjoyed the preseason hype immensely. It's not my job as a fan to either buy into or dismiss it. That's for coaches and players. I only have so much to work with, and I choose to be optimistic when I can be, especially coming off a 6-10 and one big load of fiasco bullshit season. I'm not giving up on anyone, either. I'm going to yell a lot, but that is ultimately different.

I think Mike has made some outstanding moves as a head football coach. He is batting way above average in developing skill position players, imo.

Bitch is, this friggin' o-line not only faked us out as fans, it faked him out too, and THAT is a very big problem to have. Of course I remained suspicious, and who wouldn't be, but I was hopeful. That o-line surprised me last year by at least becoming semi-functional , and maybe the same will happen again this year. I don't see for the life of me how that is going to happen, but would love to be pleasantly surprised.

...And if not, maybe I will get some some more fellow posters to jump on my "unf$ck the offensive line first" bandwagon. I knew I wasn't going to get my way in the last couple of years, because (I have used this before) these guys gotta play a constant game of personnel "whack-a-mole".

Our D needed some real help, and they got it. I do not fear for our d long-term for this year. I see us getting gashed, but I also see the potential to fix it, both in bodies and coaching. Damn if I can figure out how the hell we are going to fix that o-line though.

"dfosterf" wrote:

It's faked him out at least two years in a row. That's not a good trend.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (21h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

2h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

2h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

6h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

7h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

16h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

17h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

22h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.