Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

An 0-4 record that's even worse than it sounds  

JIM LITKE | Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:50 am

It takes a determined man to show up for work Monday morning after his football team got pounded 75-6 over the weekend.

And 92-0 the weekend before that.

And 52-6 the weekend before that.

And 68-0 the weekend before that, in the season opener.

"We've got a lot of teaching to do," first-year Texas College coach Ricky Carson said over the telephone from his office in Tyler, Texas. "We need more discipline. We just can't stop anybody right now."

A leaky defense, though, is far from the only reason the Steers have been barbecued the first four weeks of the season.

When Carson swapped his administrative duties at Texas College (enrollment: 964) for the coaching reins in late spring, he inherited a squad coming off a 1-9 season. By the time he took a head count, between defections and ineligible players, he'd lost 20 starters and all but a handful of seniors. The last three weeks, he's struggled to dress three dozen players. On top of that, Carson has a new staff trying to install a new offense.

But all those things combined still don't explain the Steers' fate. For the last piece of the puzzle, check out the schedule.

When Texas College revived its program in 2003 after a 40-year hiatus, the administration signed on to compete in the small-school NAIA, the lowest rung on the college football ladder. But for reasons the new coach and his just-arrived athletic director are still trying to figure out, Carson's predecessor, Jay Brown, left behind a schedule that included three Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) and one Division II opponent in the Steers' first five games.

That's like a middleweight trying to make a living on a steady diet of light heavies and cruiserweights. And just like that boxer, Texas College is on the ropes. The Steers have a weekend off before traveling to Mississippi Valley State, Carson's alma mater and the last of three FCS opponents, then begin Central States Football League play against other NAIA opponents on Oct. 10.

"The schedule was decided before I got here. We've got no choice but to roll with it," Carson said. "It helps financially, sure, but we knew we'd be out of our league some. Just maybe not this much ...

"Anyway, the way I figure it," he perked up a moment later, "by the time we get to our conference, it's going to be hard to intimidate us, or show us something we haven't seen."

Like the 515 yards and 24 first downs Texas Southern rolled up on them. Or the 34 rush attempts that netted a minus-18 yards against Ouachita Baptist. Or the 50 points Stephen F. Austin hung on them by halftime _ even though coach J.C. Harper pulled his starters midway through the second quarter _ and 92 by game's end.

"How did it happen?" Harper said. "I keep asking myself that.

"We did everything right and every weird bounce went our way. And like us, they throw it mostly, which doesn't eat up a lot of clock. ... By the fourth quarter, I checked with the ref to see if we could play a running clock. He said, 'check with their coach.' I did and he said, 'Sure.'"

Asked to assess the difference between the two teams, Harper paused.

"Well, our third-string running back rushed for a ton of yards, over 100, and he hadn't played before or since. We just don't run the ball a lot."

Texas Southern coach Johnnie Cole wasn't quite as diplomatic.

"Did that look like a team ready to compete?" he said. "No."

Teams stepping up in class is one of the great charms of college football. The big schools, effectively, are buying wins. So few of the smaller schools even have a puncher's chance, which is why Appalachian State's win over Michigan two seasons ago was such a big deal. But the payout is good, it's great for recruiting, and their kids get to play in big stadiums and see their names in lights.

The downside is getting beat bad. A program has to be cocky, really good or desperate to risk it more than once or twice a season.

"We try to get one FBS school to play us every year. In 2008, it was TCU and we lost 67-7," Harper recalled.

"They have almost two dozen more scholarships and it shows. They could have scored 100. Heck," he added, "they could have scored 150 if they really wanted to. ...

"So it might help you get better, but only up to a point. Our goal is to make the playoffs and play for a national championship at this level. And it seems the lower you go, the less sense it makes trying to play up, the less fair it becomes for the kids."

Texas College linebacker George Lee is 5-foot-11, weighs 220 pounds and because of a shortage of bodies, he's had to put in plenty of time at running back. He knew it was going to be a rough season when Texas College lost its opener 68-0 to Concordia (Ala.) College, a team the Steers beat by a point last season and the only NAIA opponent among their first five games.

"Physically, I'm exhausted, but not mentally. I get excited going against guys who are considered on paper to be better," Lee said. "I can't say if I'd do it (scheduling) different, because if you want to make the (NAIA) playoffs, you have to win your conference and be ranked in the Top 20. So you got to play tough teams if you want the ranking.

"But sure, it's hard to block out the score. We just keep believing we're a far better team," he added, "than what we've showed so far."

___

Jim Litke is a national sports columnist for The Associated Press. Write to him at jlitke(at)ap.org

UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago
interesting...

Sucks they got stuck with those game sat the start...

but still trying to still figure out the title?

A record that's EEN??

Even the best make mistakes right?
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
E'en. It's supposed to be e'en. ;)

Nice catch. Cut me a slice of 'umble pie. Better yet, give me two.
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago
Wow.

Crazy.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I love the way that one opposing coach ridicules the team: "Did that look like a team ready to compete?" he said. "No."

Um, you're a Division I-A school and they're an NAIA school. Give them a break.
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago

I love the way that one opposing coach ridicules the team: "Did that look like a team ready to compete?" he said. "No."

Um, you're a Division I-A school and they're an NAIA school. Give them a break.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Maybe there was an omission on that quote. Maybe it was more like, "Did that look like a team ready to compete against an FCS school? No."

lol
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (1h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (4h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (4h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (4h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (4h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (5h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (16h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (17h) : damn those vikings
beast (17h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (17h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (17h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (17h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (17h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1m / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Mucky Tundra

9m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

37m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

59m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.