Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

Rodgers on Bengals' minds

Its Year 2 AF (after Favre) in Green Bay, and Aaron Rodgers seems to be more comfortable as the Packers starting quarterback.

In his fifth season, Rodgers has become one of the leagues top starters, and will pose a challenge for the Bengals on Sunday at Green Bay.

Hes the new Favre, basically. He runs and guns and throws the ball deep and the receivers go out and get it, linebacker Dhani Jones said. He runs that offense like theyre supposed to. [img_r]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/35/AaronRodgers.jpg/250px-AaronRodgers.jpg[/img_r]

Rodgers had a strong preseason, leading the Packers on scoring drives on nine of 13 possessions. But he struggled in the opener against Chicago, going 17-of-28 for 184 yards with a touchdown. He completed just one pass over 20 yards, which was the game winner to Greg Jennings (50 yards) late in the fourth quarter.

Rodgers struggled in part thanks to four sacks and several penalties which created lots of second-and-long situations. The Packers averaged just 3.2 yards per play on first down.

We put ourselves in difficult situations in third-and-longs which resulted from negative yardage plays or penalties. You cant convert if you put yourself in third-and-11s and we had a lot of those the other night, Rodgers said.

Personally I was a little bit off. I missed some throws I definitely feel like I shouldve made. We really didnt until the last drive when we had to.

We had some breakdowns, Im definitely a part of that in the protection scheme and we need to do a better job of that. We had a preseason where I wasnt getting touched too much and thats not always reality when the real games start. The speed increases, the games are more complex and we need to do a better job of adjusting.

Last year, in his first season as the starter, Rodgers completed 341 of 536 for 4,038 yards with 28 touchdowns against 13 interceptions. In most seasons, that would merit the Pro Bowl, but the Packers stumbled to a 6-10 finish.

Still, Rodgers has earned Jones respect.

It takes a little bit of time after a Hall of Fame quarterback leaves an organization for someone to establish themselves. Hes done a great job doing that, Jones said.

Besides the ability to throw deep, Rodgers also presents problems because he is mobile and a good-play action quarterback. The Packers want to run more with Ryan Grant, who is a physical, downhill runner, to open up the play action.

And with four sacks last week, expect Green Bay to use maximum coverage this week to keep him protected.

For the Bengals defense, that poses an interesting dilemma do they bring lots of pressure to try and force Rodgers into bad decisions, or do they drop back into coverage?

Besides him throwing the ball deep a bunch he can run, its like playing a mobile QB. If he gets outside the pocket a lot of bad things can happen, defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer said.

With play action, were going to have to read our keys. Theres always a key that tells you what theyre going to do.

Expect the Bengals to play plenty of nickel, of which they had a moderate amount of success last week against the Broncos. The Packers have a deep receiving corps with Jennings, Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson and James Jones. They also have a dangerous tight end in Donald Lee.

Said Rodgers of facing the Bengals defense: Theyre multiple in their schemes and coverages. I think both the corners are playing very well. Theyre a fast flow defense and making tackles all over the place. Its going to be important for us to be in more manageable situations so they cant run those extensive packages and sit back and tee off on us.

The Bengals need to keep making defensive gains. In last weeks 12-7 loss, the Broncos did not get into the red zone and were 3 of 12 on third downs. The Bengals also forced three-and-outs on five of 11 drives.

Weve got to apply pressure, stop the run and play good defense, defensive tackle Tank Johnson said.

We played hard and did the things we were coached to do. We have to make a few more plays, myself included, and thats where we have to go from here.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Dulak
14 years ago
Interesting article ...

I was thinking; what we need to do if rodgers keeps getting blitzed is come up with quick short passes that he can go too. This is how the cards beat the eagles last year in the playoffs.

The 3-4 weakness is the short pass.

I dont think the bengals run the 3-4 but its a similar philosophy being blitz's use up potential coverage guys. So dumping a pass quickly off to a guy whom can run after the catch is a good way to go.

So short screens on the outside or slants would seem the way to go. Have our TEs abuse their LBers and have our RBs and FBs take a screen and get some yards.

IMO if cinci lets rodgers sit in the pocket he's going to find a open man and we will eat them for lunch.

Was watching some game replays of last week and I dont remember what team it was but they utilized the screen with blockers very well. Easily picked up 12 yards on mutiple carries.
bozz_2006
14 years ago
If our offense can score points, I think we'll win. The Bengals only scored 7 points against the toothless Bronco defense, and wasn't that score made with about two minutes left in the game?
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
Interesting Jermicheal Finley was not mentioned, maybe he could be the game changer if The Bungals don't plan for him.

IMHO he is much more dangerous than Donald Lee, will be interesting to watch how The Packers attack the Bungal defense.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

Interesting Jermicheal Finley was not mentioned, maybe he could be the game changer if The Bungals don't plan for him.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

I thought the same thing.. but until he can prove it on Sunday's I think he will be somewhat of a sleeper.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
14 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

I thought the same thing.. but until he can prove it on Sunday's I think he will be somewhat of a sleeper.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Finley is probably a blocker until further notice. All depends on how that line holds up. I expect some chips and then break offs into patterns, but will not be at all surprised to see him "staying home".

Sad, really.
Brettizzle
14 years ago

IMHO he is much more dangerous than Donald Lee, will be interesting to watch how The Packers attack the Bungal defense.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Just because a team doesn't publicly come out and say something doesn't mean they aren't planning for it. I'm sure they know Jermicheal is a threat and are planning against him.
Jermichael Finley

We will be in Indianapolis

14 years ago
I think if we use our TE's more the offense will open up. That key aspect was missing Sunday night vs. Chicago.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago

Hes the new Favre, basically... linebacker Dhani Jones said.

I'm sure he only meant that as a good thing, but... 😳
rabidgopher04
14 years ago

If our offense can score points, I think we'll win.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

How John Madden of you. 😉
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (15h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
28m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

31m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

43m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

10h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

16h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

23h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.