Zero2Cool
14 years ago
We were 6 - 10 last season. We are switching from a 4 - 3 to a 3 - 4 in which most pundits claim takes several seasons before you reap the full benefits. These pundits say we can't stop the run, we have a mediocre running game and an inexperienced QB who can't win the close games for us.

Why the hell are ranked so high in the power rankings? I'm kind of like bozz on this too. When we're so high, I think, wtf why, don't do that. Under the radar is what I want. And when they dog us up and down, it bugs me too. The pundits seem to always be extreme no love, or too much love.

I think we're around the bottom of the top half of the league. We haven't shown anyone anything yet. We gave up a poor ass 352 yards against the freaking BEARS!

On the flip side of that, it was the first game of the year. It was against a helluva rival that no matter how good each team is, it's always a good battle.

I'm not saying we suck, by no means am I saying that. I'm excited for this team, very excited. I just don't like being handed paper trophies without merit.

So I'm asking you ... where's all the damn hype coming from when most of what I read from these people is the Packers are lacking?
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
For me it is pretty simple.. the power ranking are nothing more that fodder to foster discussion.

I will take more value in the playoff thread that Cheeze, as the season progresses it will tell more of the story than some two bit power ranking.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Okay, but ... I'm asking why so high? Not if they are accurate, relevant or worth while.

Packers? Dog dog dog ... good preaseason PACKERS ARE SUPERBOWL BOUND!!

Did their opinions change that much just over a few pre season games?

What was it? Why do I not see it and I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable fan, at times.

In '07 I didn't think we were as good as our record indicated, cuz we got a lot of lucky bounces. In '08 same thing, but other side. I don't think we were a six win team, but got some unlucky bounces. I think both seasons we were 10-11 win team and 8-9 win respectfully. But you can't like with the W column, it is what it is.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
Why so high.. because we showed flash in the preseason.

We lost no one of importance over the offseason.

We went out and got a hired gun to run the defense.

We have assembled a defensive coaching staff that is jacked up and motivated.

We have a QB that put up rare numbers last season, his first year starting.. and looked to have the poise of the elite in the league.

We have a Receiving corp that can be talked about amongst the best.

And more importantly, we might be the youngest team in the league again, but we have the core group that has been together for a couple of season.

Just a few.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
But we didn't sign any big name free agents ...
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
In other words.. those that create the power rankings skim the headline and reports and fabricate some type of ranking for the teams.

They don't have some scientific method developed.. no they are going on the "buzz" around the league and some type of feeling..
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Well that goes more to proving my theory that 'writers' or whatever they are called are irresponsible to their job description.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
Your not going to get an argument from me..
gbguy20
14 years ago

We were 6 - 10 last season. We are switching from a 4 - 3 to a 3 - 4 in which most pundits claim takes several seasons before you reap the full benefits. These pundits say we can't stop the run, we have a mediocre running game and an inexperienced QB who can't win the close games for us.

Why the hell are ranked so high in the power rankings? I'm kind of like bozz on this too. When we're so high, I think, wtf why, don't do that. Under the radar is what I want. And when they dog us up and down, it bugs me too. The pundits seem to always be extreme no love, or too much love.

I think we're around the bottom of the top half of the league. We haven't shown anyone anything yet. We gave up a poor ass 352 yards against the freaking BEARS!

On the flip side of that, it was the first game of the year. It was against a helluva rival that no matter how good each team is, it's always a good battle.

I'm not saying we suck, by no means am I saying that. I'm excited for this team, very excited. I just don't like being handed paper trophies without merit.

So I'm asking you ... where's all the damn hype coming from when most of what I read from these people is the Packers are lacking?

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

ok ok, irrelevant to the thread i know. But that number is very misleading. With as much time as our defense spent on the field that game, i'm ok with that number.
dfosterf
14 years ago
These guys doing the talking are all journalist majors, pretty much.

They seek a story line, find the fodder for their thesis, and run with it.

The easiest thing to do is to look at what happened in the preseason and use that for their new and profoundly insightful brand of sports journalism.

Few of them bring any true insight about what is probably GOING to happen, but rather bring what ever they feel like spouting in the what just did happen category, and using THAT as a predictor.

The REAL sports journalists should be sweating our o-line just like I am...not because of Sunday so much, but because of the context of what we have attempted to do about that line in so many ways and still have (apparently) not done.

This would take some in-depth analysis...good luck waiting for that. Instead what you are going to get is 50 stories about how Aaron Rodgers got a mythical monkey off his back by throwing one completion too late in a football game to have it rendered meaningless once again.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

9h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

10h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

11h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

15h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

15h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.