packman31
14 years ago
How can the refs call some of those penalties like the one that gave the bears a first down in the 4th quarter and get away with it. It could of cost the game, is there some type of review that the nfl could look at ?
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago
It's confusion. It happens. It was quite a bad call, though. It was an illegal formation, but since they missed it, it turned into a bad illegal contact play, as the receiver lined up 6 yards from Harris, instead of the 5 that he should've (Like Collinsworth said).
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
I would like to see something done about calls. There are some that are just to bad to let go. Somehow use the replay to make sure the correct call is made. No, coaches calling for penalty reviews, but the booth should be able to call down and say, hey, you go that one wrong, before the next play.

If the network can replay 5 times between snaps, so can the booth.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Stevetarded
14 years ago
I didn't really like that Spitz holding call at the end of the game on that long run by Grant either.
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago

I would like to see something done about calls. There are some that are just to bad to let go. Somehow use the replay to make sure the correct call is made. No, coaches calling for penalty reviews, but the booth should be able to call down and say, hey, you go that one wrong, before the next play.

If the network can replay 5 times between snaps, so can the booth.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

Here is the rub IMO, where do you draw the line?

On a majority of the plays in this league, some type of infraction could be called.. holding being first and foremost.

Do you say, only review the called penalties? Then what about the missed calls? If you include the missed calls, then you are opening up Pandora's box...

Crews get reviews weekly by the head of NFL officiating.. probably with fines for excessive or horrendously blown calls..

But missed or bad calls are part of the game.. like it or not.

But pre-snap fouls to be missed.. that is sad.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
musccy
14 years ago
pack93 is right...refs are already reviewed for their performance.

The illegal contact was a HORRIBLE call, but Harris got away with P.I. on the interception that ended the game.

There are 60 minutes/game, and dropped passes, missed blocks, blown coverages etc. are all much more influential than 1 or 2 missed calls.

They're only human. Try reffing an 8 year old soccer game, listen to the parents and then come back and tell me how easy it'd be to ref an NFL game.
nerdmann
14 years ago
Week after week officials make phantom calls that sway the results of games. It just seems like too many of these calls are in such key situations.
Harris's phantom PI should have been a penalty on the Bears for illegal formation. But then it goes against us, and keeps the scoring drive alive.
Then what was the deal with the lengthy review? It was a meaningless score, except that it put us over the spread. Weird.
Every since the Superbowl where the Seahawks got ripped, the integrity of the game has been in question.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rios39
14 years ago

pack93 is right...refs are already reviewed for their performance.

The illegal contact was a HORRIBLE call, but Harris got away with P.I. on the interception that ended the game.

There are 60 minutes/game, and dropped passes, missed blocks, blown coverages etc. are all much more influential than 1 or 2 missed calls.

They're only human. Try reffing an 8 year old soccer game, listen to the parents and then come back and tell me how easy it'd be to ref an NFL game.

"musccy" wrote:

It's not really PI because Al Harris had his eyes on the ball and the receiver didn't. So Harris should be entitled to fight to catch the ball.
blank
mkapp
14 years ago
I agree with above - networks show replay after replay between plays, why cant the booth do the same and call down if there is a bad call?

OR

why not allow a coach to challenge penalty calls too? same number of challenges per game, and same cost of timeouts if they lose. let the team decide what is a game-changing call.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
14 years ago
It's stupid. We have all the technology to make sure that these kind of situations don't happen but they do. Hell, the Cowboys are getting "do-overs" this year for their stadium, why can't the NFL hire 4-5 people to sit in a replay booth during games and watch every play after it happened and examine where the ball should be placed. The refs should merely be the on-field assistants to the replay booths. The booth would have constant communication to the head ref and tell him where to spot the ball at the end of the play, where to mark the first down and more. The refs would call penalties, but each penalty would be reviewed before the ref actually makes the call. i.e., Packers score touchdown but offensive interference is called on the receiver. Instead of calling the penalty like normal and enacting it the booth would watch the play, determine if there was INDISPUTABLE (key word) evidence to overturn the call on the field and let the head ref know before the final call is made. I doubt it would delay the game as replays are available so quick now. And it's not like they have to take a super close look at it, just determine if it was a good call or not. If it was obviously bad, they'd overturn it but otherwise let it stay.

Sure you can call it opening up pandora's box but if it's done right you don't have to worry about it. Like I said the technology is in place to do this. In fact, in the future I could see them putting GPS devices on the tip of each ball and have a threshold mark at the first down marker. If the balls crosses the threshold, first down no questions asked because they'll know if the ball crossed the plane and when.

All in all I don't think it's really that hard to institute and regulate. The technology is in place now and I'm sure many of the people are willing. The problem is that there's so much else on the table for league officials and owners, they can't take the time to even introduce some kind of official change. It's not like it can be changed with a snap of the fingers, they'd have to focus solely on this subject for an entire offseason, which is why I don't see anything being done about the way penalties are called now. Simply because it's too much work right now to change.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

7h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

8h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

9h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

13h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

13h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

22h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

23h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.