TheEngineer
14 years ago

NFC NORTH QBS: HOW THEY RATE
This past week, the Press-Gazette asked four pro personnel people from outside the NFC North to rank the divisions starting quarterbacks. Chicagos Jay Cutler received three first-place votes, while Green Bays Aaron Rodgers received the other. Only one scout ranked Minnesotas Brett Favre ahead of Rodgers, and all four scouts put Detroit rookie Matthew Stafford last because hes yet to start a game. Heres a breakdown of the group:

1. Jay Cutler, Bears

4th year; 6-foot-3, 233 pounds; 26 years old

2008 (with Denver): 16 starts, 384-for-616 passing (62.3 percent) for 4,526 yards, 25 TDs, 18 INTs, 86.0 rating.

Career: 37 starts, 762-for-1,220 (62.5 percent) for 9,024 yards, 54 TDs, 37 INTs, 87.1 rating.

Upside: Elite arm strength. Can extend plays with his legs. Uses play fakes to his advantage and throws accurately on the run when he gets outside the pocket. Makes tough, tight throws. Competitive. Has 2 years as a starter under his belt. Hes not (Peyton) Manning or (Tom) Brady or (Drew) Brees quite yet, said an AFC personnel man who ranked Cutler as by far the divisions best QB. But hes in probably the next level down of guys, because hes been productive, and hes got plenty of talent. Hes a guy thats on the come, so I dont see him in that upper echelon, but hes in the next level down.

Downside: Sometimes fails to play within the scheme. Takes too many chances and might get exposed with inferior receivers in Chicago. Perceived by some as having a me-first attitude. I think with Cutler youve got a little bit more arm strength, a pro scout for an NFC team said, but on the downside, flipside, youve also got a little bit more of that gunslinger mentality.

2. Aaron Rodgers, Packers

5th year; 6-2, 220; 25 years old

2008: 16 starts, 341-for-536 passing (63.6 percent) for 4,038 yards, 28 TDs, 13 INTs, 93.8 rating.

Career: 16 starts, 376-for-595 (63.2 percent) for 4,367 yards, 29 TDs, 14 INTs, 91.8 rating.

Upside: Good arm strength, mobility and overall physical tools. Accurate passer. Matured during three seasons backing up Brett Favre. Knows offense inside and out. Solid work ethic. Grades out highly for decision-making and doesnt take many dumb chances. What Ive been able to see in Rodgers is the development I think of some of the intangibles you want at the quarterback position, said the AFC personnel man who ranked Rodgers No. 1. Leadership, the moxie, the savvy, approach, command of the offense.

Downside: Team finished 6-10 in his only season as starter. Sometimes erratic early in games. Failed in seven chances to win a game with the ball and less than 5 minutes to go. Its a learning experience, really, another NFC pro scout said. In reality, the guy was a rookie last year his first go-round and having the whole thing in front of him, and he was the guy. I dont put (the close losses) all on him by any means.

3. Brett Favre, Vikings

19th year; 6-2, 222; 39 years old

2008 (with N.Y. Jets): 16 starts, 343-for-522 passing (65.7 percent) for 3,472 yards, 22 TDs, 22 INTs, 81.0 rating.

Career: 269 starts, 5,720-for-9,280 (61.6 percent) for 65,127 yards, 464 TDs, 310 INTs, 85.4 rating.

Upside: Brings loads of intangibles. Off-the-charts football smarts. Can read defenses as well as anyone. Will benefit from Vikings exceptional running game. All four scouts said hes an upgrade over Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels, if only for one year. When (Favre) came in, those guys said its just a whole nother speed level that the ball takes on in terms of speed, velocity and those things, an AFC personnel man said. Hes still got the juice. Obviously, it isnt what it (was) back in the late-90s, when he was hitting on all cylinders. But he can still zip the football.

Downside: Has declined markedly down the stretch each of the past five seasons. Skipped the entire offseason program and three weeks of training camp before signing. Coming off surgery to repair a partially torn biceps tendon in his throwing shoulder. Turns 40 on Oct. 10. Legendarily resilient body might be breaking down. Heck, I just watched the first game he played (in the preseason against Kansas City) he got his (butt) beat, an NFC scout said. You just talk about the amount of shots you have left, and again, you dont ever want to count the guy out or say (hes done), but its just a matter of time. The body can only take so many hits.

4. Matthew Stafford, Lions

Rookie; 6-3, 232; 21 years old

2008 at University of Georgia: 235-for-383 passing (61.4 percent) for 3,459 yards, 25 TDs, 10 INTs, 153.5 rating.

College career: 564-for-987 (57.1 percent) for 7,731 yards, 51 TDs, 33 INTs.

Upside: Has the physical tools to be an effective pocket passer. Strong arm. Similar skill set to Cutlers coming out, except Stafford played more within the system. Intelligent. Can run a huddle. Had best college season as a junior and declared early. Beat out veteran Daunte Culpepper for the starting job with a strong camp. Thats a kid with physical talent and upside, an AFC personnel man said. I think whats going to help him make that significant jump, is going to be the intangibles that come with the position. Its just smarts, decision-making, command of the offense, leadership those things obviously are important to play this position.

Downside: Hasnt started an NFL game. Needs time to mature and get full grasp of the offense. Plays for a franchise where top draft picks have been known to fail. Preseason numbers (30-for-55 passing, 1 TD, 4 INTs, 52.8 rating) were uninspiring. Has an elite playmaker in WR Calvin Johnson but not a lot else to work with. I have seen Detroit play, and Im still concerned that theyre going to have some issues up front, an NFC scout said. Its going to be a struggle, but again, 81 (Johnson) is special. Maybe they just take two steps back and just chuck it and just hope for the best.

Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

blank
nyrpack
14 years ago
when aaron leads the pack to the north crown, and has awesome stats he will be sitting on the top of the list !!
jimmy b.
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Cutler was looking spectacular yesterday. This guy is completely right.

NOT!
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (15h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (18h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (19h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (22h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (22h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (22h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.