Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Mike Florio comments:

Roethlisberger accuser now targets Harrah's 

Posted by Mike Florio on September 15, 2009 11:25 AM ET

Lost in news accounts of a recent court filing characterizing the woman accusing Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger of sexual assault as a "woman scorned" is that the same filing opposes a motion by the accuser to join Harrah's as a defendant.

In other words, the plaintiff, who initially did not sue Harrah's, is now attempting to do so.

We've confirmed via a source with knowledge of the case that, indeed, the accuser is now attempting to sue Harrah's.

Gregg Rosenthal, whose efforts were instrumental in our ability to break the story of the civil suit in July, had been hearing that the claim against Harrah's was coming, but we had been unable to substantiate it.

The motion apparently comes after Roethlisberger's lawyers filed a motion to dismiss the entire lawsuit because the accuser had failed to sue an "indispensable" party to the controversy -- Harrah's.

And it might be that this was a rope-a-dope tactic aimed at securing an outright victory. The argument will be, based on a 2005 case from the Nevada Supreme Court, that the state workers' compensation laws provide the exclusive remedy for the injuries that the accuser allegedly suffered.

The open question is whether the exclusivity applies only to Harrah's and its employees, or whether the perpetrator of the alleged assault -- Roethlisberger -- benefits from the exclusivity, too.

Moreover, it's unclear why the accuser's co-workers would choose to fight the attempt to join Harrah's, if joining Harrah's provides a silver bullet.

Still, the bottom line is that Harrah's is now potentially on the hook, which likely makes a quick and easy resolution only more difficult for Roethlisberger to obtain.

UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
She should take her case to a Minnesota courtroom.

Those whack-jobs make shit up as they go.
Rockmolder
14 years ago

She should take her case to a Minnesota courtroom.

Those whack-jobs make shit up as they go.

"dfosterf" wrote:

LOL. Bitter old man. She'd have to wear a Vikings, Wild, Timberwolves or Gophers jersey for that.
nyrpack
14 years ago
not a fan of any athlete who thinks there above the law, but ben is the victim here and this woman should be made a example of !!
jimmy b.
xavierlee9
14 years ago
Kobe part 2..Only with an innocent man...
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
And what makes you assume Kobe was guilty while Roethlisberger is innocent? Because one is black and the other white, one has a hip-hop vibe and the other a redneck vibe? They both had sex with the woman who accused them; neither is truly "innocent" in the grand scheme of things.

Of course, I think both women were full of shit. It's women like them that make if so hard for true victims of sexual assault to receive justice.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
You were not there. You are not one of them. Or ... were you? (got videos?)

Okay, Kobe was married so you have that one. Ben was/is single and if he wants to check the oil of some worker at a hotel, so be it. That does not make him guilty of anything.

The 'grand' scheme of things is ... IF they were assaulted, their assaulter's should be punished. But just because someone is accusing you of something does not mean you are guilty!

That mentality really gets to me. The whole guilty by association crap.

Another reason I wish this kind of stuff was kept behind closed doors until a FINAL verdict was reached.

Do we know if Kobe rapped that woman? No.
Do we know if OJ killed those people? No.
Do we know if Ben rapped that woman? No.

I could go on and on ... I'm not saying I believe one is more innocent than the other, simply providing examples. All three could be innocent of what they were charged with. Do we believe that? Not likely because of the MEDIA and their twisting of the facts combined with our own creative imagination.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I personally believe all three were innocent of the specific crimes of which they were accused. (That's not to say I think they were or were not good people.) It still baffles me that the prosecution in the O.J. case was not relieved of duty after it became clear they had planted evidence. That is such an egregious dereliction of duty and violation of professional ethics. But hey, you do what you gotta do, right? Isn't that what the crime shows teach us?
UserPostedImage
LambeauEast
14 years ago

Do we know if OJ killed those people? No.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Well, yeah...we kinda do! It's that whole mountain of evidence thingy. :pottytrain2:
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
If there were such a preponderance of evidence, LambeauEast, why did they have to plant it? That was something I remember several of the jurists commenting on after the case.

If there's one thing I deplore about our modern Information Age, it's that everyone is tried in the court of public (read: ignorant) opinion before they ever get to trial. I was reading a book about sex law last year that made the interesting point that it's almost more preferable to be convicted of a sex crime these days than exonerated, because at least if you're convicted, you can "serve your time," whereas if you're exonerated, a cloud of suspicion will hang over you for the rest of your life as people will assume you got away with something, pulled a fast one on the legal justice system.

The entire corpus of sex law in this country is profoundly fucked up, and I hope the ensuing generation will rise up and make some desperately needed changes, since it's obvious our current generation is far too paranoid of phantom bogeymen to do so. When a man can be convicted for sexual assault for touching a woman's breasts, but a woman cannot even be charged with sexual assault for cutting off a man's testicles -- indeed, kicking a man in the nuts is considered standard comedy fare -- you know something is terribly wrong.

But I am way off topic now.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (6h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (7h) : damn those vikings
beast (7h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (7h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (8h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (8h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (8h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (14h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (15h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (15h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.