14 years ago

Doing it Big Bens way works for now

As age and defenders gain, Roethlisbergers frantic play will need to change

NBCSports.com
OPINION
By Tom E. Curran

NBCSports.com

updated 12:55 a.m. CT, Fri., Sept . 11, 2009

There will come a time when Ben Roethlisberger has to reinvent his game.

Even a man of his size will not be able to shake off defensive tackles in perpetuity. Even a man with his escapability will eventually find that his legs wont do what his brain is telling them to.

But until that time and it may not come for a while still the Steelers may as well ride Big Ben as far as his pump-faking, risk-taking, play re-starting style will take them.

Roethlisberger started the 2009 season the way he ended 2008 with the game on the line and the Steelers offense strapped to his back. And the two-time Super Bowl champion quarterback delivered another win, this one a 13-10 overtime decision over the Tennessee Titans on Thursday night.

For the night, Pittsburgh managed just 36 rushing yards on 23 carries. Roethlisberger, meanwhile, went 33 for 43 for 363 yards and a touchdown with two interceptions.

But the stats dont adequately tell the story of the games final quarter and the overtime session.

With Pittsburgh trailing 10-7 and 11 minutes, 10 seconds remaining in the game, Roethlisberger went 7 for 7 for 57 yards in setting up the tying field goal with three minutes left.

After the Steelers forced a punt and their offense took over with 1:50 left, Roethlisberger went 4 for 4 for another 54 yards. That should have been enough for the winning field goal but Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward tried to get too slick inside the Titans' 5-yard line and fumbled the ball away.

No matter. The Steelers won the overtime coin flip and Roethlisberger just did it all again, going 5 for 7 for 60 yards to set up the winning field goal.

Its what he did in the Super Bowl. Its what he did in the AFC championship game against the Baltimore Ravens. Its what he did in that critical December game, also against the Ravens that helped sew up the AFC North crown for the Steelers.

It was just a little over a month ago that Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians was walking away from a Sunday morning breakfast at St. Vincents College in Latrobe, Pa., raving about what Roethlisberger does.

I laugh when I hear about who people consider the top five quarterbacks in the league and hes not mentioned, Arians said. I dont know what else he has to do. The guy loves to put the team on his back and say, Lets go.

It is the essence of what this Steelers team is about. As much as the Indianapolis Colts are defined by Peyton Mannings mad-scientist dissections of opposing defenses. As much as the New England Patriots are about Tom Bradys preternatural calm and self-assuredness in carving up whatever is put in front of him. So, too, are the Steelers about Roethlisberger running around and creating until secondaries lose containment and pass rushers lose their minds chasing him.

Its not as pretty as the way the other two guys do it, but the ultimate results are quite comparable. And that is what its about results.

For those results, Roethlisberger doesnt get proper credit. The frantic ball fakes and half-scrambles and the traffic-cop act he goes into when telling receivers where to go gives off the vibe that hes just winging it.

And for good reason.

He is.

And that is just fine with the Steelers.

They seem to realize they have a young quarterback hes still just 27 who is at the height of his rare powers. He doesnt scramble for positive yardage the way Michael Vick did when he ran for over 1,000 with the Atlanta Falcons in 2006. He scrambles merely to unhinge the defense so he can beat them with his arm. Big difference. And a more effective one.

The time will come when Ben Roethlisbergers game will have to become more tame, more geared to staying in the pocket, reading defenses and taking what the defense gives him. Even though hes 6 feet 5, 250 pounds, he cant continue to absorb the same punishment he has taken the past three seasons (more than 45 sacks each campaign). The risk of a helmet-to-helmet whack while hes pirouetting away from some defensive end, the chance that some corner wraps himself around Roethlisbergers kneecap grows with every scramble.

But until that day comes, the Steelers are going to keep doing like they do. Play mad defense and then turn it over to Roethlisberger, who, invariably these days, knows exactly what to do when the game comes down to him.

This article is a perfect illustration of exactly why I don't want Roethlisberger as my quarterback. The reason why he has to do so much frantic improvisation in the fourth quarter is because the offense doesn't get the job done in the first three quarters. We saw it all last season, we saw it in the Super Bowl, we saw it last night. Fourth-quarter comebacks is a highly overrated statistic. Padding your resume with lots of fourth-quarter comebacks just goes to show that overall, your offense was rather mediocre (or your defense couldn't hold the line). I'd rather have a QB with no fourth-quarter comebacks because the games were decided by the third quarter than a QB with dozens of them because he was constantly having to pull desperation plays out of his hat. Obviously, the former situation isn't necessarily realistic, but I find it preferable.

Curran can say what he wants about Roethlisberger's improvisational skills (he's always had mad man-love for Big Ben), but I frankly thought he looked terrible back there. He was awkward and clumsy, stumbling around frequently, his facial expressions frequently looked baffled and confused, and overall he just appeared slow. He seems to have lost a step, if in fact he ever had one. I think we've pretty much seen Big Ben's ceiling, whereas it would appear that Aaron Rodgers' potential has yet to be fully tapped. I can't wait to see those two duke it out later this season. I believe Rodgers' grace and poise will make Roethlisberger look like a country bumpkin.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
Well, I'm not trading back for him, I don't care how eloquently you argue to make me feel guilty or something. :thumbleft:

I was impressed (mostly) with all those pump fakes, shuffles/waddles/scrambles and just hangin' on until something broke open for him. I am a little peeved that Pack93z winds up with more ff points having the Titans D than me having the Steelers D.

Not that I am paying attention, or anything. LOL
Yerko
14 years ago
Roethlisberger wouldn't be able to do what he does with any other offensive line. Even though they gave up 2(?) sacks last night, the reason they were able to pass downfield was because Roethlisberger was given that extra 2-3 seconds to pat the ball and scan the field one more time (see last catch of game).

I agree with the post though. He needs to change the way he plays...but in time. Right now, it is working. He has the offensive line to do it and the receivers as well.
With the lack of the running game, this is how he is going to have to play. 23 carries for 36 yards?!?! After last night, I see the Steelers losing more games than I thought because teams will not zero in on the pass more than the run. A basic defense was stopping the run.

Last night however, is why I put Big Ben over Rivers in the Trent Dilfer thread. To each their own though.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
The Steelers only scored 10 points in regulation last night. Unless the Packers experience a catastrophic rash of injuries, 10 points will not beat them.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Those who want to bash the run game for the Steelers need to understand the Titans have a really good run stuffing defense.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Good point, though against Tennessee last year, the Packers racked up 97 yards of rushing between Grant and Rodgers.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
14 years ago
If Tennessee had made those two easy field goals earlier on and in general had just capitalized on Pittsburgh's early mistakes and ineptitude, Big Ben doesn't get a comeback win. The difference between last night's game and the game played last season was that the Steelers' defense showed up to play and kept them in the game.
Born and bred a cheesehead
nyrpack
14 years ago
big ben is so inconsistant, the 1st half he looked terrible, then he looks like the mvp in the 2nd half, still not a big fan and think he will be hurt before the season is over, he gets hit alot !!
jimmy b.
djcubez
14 years ago
I remember a certain quarterback who had the same tendencies 😉
mi_keys
14 years ago

I remember a certain quarterback who had the same tendencies ;)

"djcubez" wrote:

Fran Tarkenton?
Born and bred a cheesehead
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (22m) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (2h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (2h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (4h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (4h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (4h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (5h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (5h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (16h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (17h) : damn those vikings
beast (18h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (18h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (18h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (18h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (18h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7m / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Mucky Tundra

8m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

12m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

17m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

37m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.