Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Tuesday Packers Practice: Raji, Sutton, and Montgomery 

by Brandon on Aug 19, 2009 12:00 PM CDT in News

I know it's not QB Brett Favre news, but I'm sure some people (like me) are interested in what's going on with the guys who are currently wearing Green Bay Packers jerseys.

The practice schedule: there were two practices on Tuesday, Wednesday's an off day, two on Thursday, private practice on Friday, and then the Buffalo Bills travel to Lambeau on Saturday.

Reports from practice were rather subdued and distracted by all the Favre talk. But a couple things to note:

* The big news with DT B.J. Raji is that he's been practicing a lot. Although he missed about 12 practices due to his late signing, he's been playing in the 3-4 base defense and in the nickel defense (a 4-2-5 alignment). He's kept himself in shape and the coaches aren't holding him back. But he hasn't been blowing them away in practice either.

* We've been discussing why there isn't more talk about undrafted free agent RB Tyrell Sutton. I discussed a couple points in in the linked FanPost, but another problem is that he's not good at picking up the blitz, which is essential for a running back, especially a potential 3rd down back.

* One surprise last Saturday was that DE Michael Montgomery started at left end. I expected DE Johnny Jolly would start, but apparently he didn't because the coaches are still holding him back as he recovers from an ankle injury suffered early in training camp. Montgomery's played well as far as I can tell, he almost made another great play in practice on Tuesday, but at 273 lbs., he's the lightest player still considered a defensive lineman. What's so odd about Montgomery starting at left end is that position has usually been played by much bigger guys like Jolly (320 lbs.), Raji (337 lbs.), and DE Justin Harrell (320 lbs.)

UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
14 years ago
Get Jolly healthy and give Monty some quality reps. Not a bad plan in my opinion.

This blocking knock on Sutton I think can be addressed. It comes down to if he gives us bigger upside than Wynn and Lumpkin by the time we have to cut down. Those two and their injury history so far... who knows!

Raji has a learning curve here. People seem to be making a huge stink that hasn't won too many match-ups yet like he won't sooner or later. He just got here!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
LambeauEast
14 years ago
The blitz pick-up was Jackson's big knock his first season as well. It takes time for certain guys....especially if you're 5'8"!
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Good news. The only thing that I'm surprised about is that Raji 'only' plays in the 3-4 and the 4-2-5 nickel. Who do they currently start over Raji in the 2-4-5? Pickett, obviously, but who else? Montgomery? Jolly, when he's healthy?

I just asumed that Raji and Pickett would create the biggest push and take up the most blockers, leaving some holes for the blitzing LBs. I hope that this is just temorary, untill Raji has fully absorbed the 3-4 and 4-2-5 schemes.
Rios39
14 years ago
I think Raji will be in the 2-4 soon. He's only had 2 practices. But he's been looking good.
blank
Greg C.
14 years ago

Who do they currently start over Raji in the 2-4-5? Pickett, obviously, but who else? Montgomery? Jolly, when he's healthy?

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I did not know that the Packers ever used a 2-4-5. That sounds like a third-and-long type of defense to me, in which case I would expect them to use pass rushers on the line, like Cullen Jenkins and...well, come to think of it, I don't know if we have any other pass rushing D-linemen right now. Maybe move Kampman up to the line and put a different OLB in his spot.
blank
earthquake
14 years ago
Actually i think it was reported, in practices atleast that their nickle package is actually a 2-4-5, so the 4-2-5 thing may be a typo there. From what i understand their nickle is always 2-4-5.

If you think about it the 2-4-5 and 4-2-5 would be essentially the same personal anyway

Raji    Picket
Kampman                         Thompson
             Barnet  Chillar

or

Kampman       Raji    Picket    Thompson

Barnet  Chillar

blank
Rios39
14 years ago

Who do they currently start over Raji in the 2-4-5? Pickett, obviously, but who else? Montgomery? Jolly, when he's healthy?

"Greg C." wrote:

I did not know that the Packers ever used a 2-4-5. That sounds like a third-and-long type of defense to me, in which case I would expect them to use pass rushers on the line, like Cullen Jenkins and...well, come to think of it, I don't know if we have any other pass rushing D-linemen right now. Maybe move Kampman up to the line and put a different OLB in his spot.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

You want your pass rushers to be in the LB crew for this. The purpose of it is not to drop 4 LBs into coverage. They'll mix up blitzes with he Db's and LB's when they run this. So they'll need 2 nice sized D-Liners to push the pocket back and create lanes for the LBers to get to the QB.

The Ravens run a lot of this 2-4-5 and they don't use it to rush 2 and drop everyone back, they bring almost everyone to the line and blitz a few and drop others back. It's to cause miss-matches and confusion. I actually seen the Packers use it a few times in the Browns game. Makes you go "wtf" when you look at it, you'll see 4-6 guys around the line of scrimmage.
blank
earthquake
14 years ago
I guess you could run:

Kamp, Raji, Picket/Jolly, Jenkins in a 4-2-5, but i dont see this team in a rush to get that many DLinemen on the field at the same time, not in a passing situation atleast.
blank
bboystyle
14 years ago
Raji will grow in due time...I remember Mario Williams hype his rookie year and after his first year no one was sure if he would pan out well to be the player he was hyped to be..well he proved them wrong! point is,many expect Raji to come in and dominate which is not fair...He might get 3-4 sacks next year or none...hes a rookie and is in a process of learning this D and fitting in to the NFL from college....It may even take him 3 years before he shows why we took him at the #9 spot..
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6h) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6h) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (7h) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (7h) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (7h) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.