Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Rodgers making fast progression to elite QB 

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports Aug 18, 1:19 pm EDT

GREEN BAY, Wis. On Sunday morning, an AFC personnel executive was sitting in front of a television, fast-forwarding through replays of that weeks preseason NFL games. Unlike most NFL fans, he skimmed the first quarters, flitting past starting units in favor of scribbling notes on reserves likely to be cut in the coming weeks.

He had been sailing along until he saw Aaron Rodgers.

[img_r]http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2009/08/ipt/1250614049.jpg[/img_r]Five years earlier, the executive had taken a trip to see Rodgers in person, when the Green Bay Packers quarterback was putting together his pice de rsistance as a junior at California-Berkeley. He came away moderately impressed, but his franchise would end up going another way, watching as Rodgers slipped to the 24th pick in the 2005 NFL draft. More than four years later, he found himself eyeing Rodgers again in rapt attention.

[Green Bays] game against Cleveland was the only one that I saw most of the first quarter, he said. You can see how far he has come right away. His decisiveness and the way he goes through his [progressions]. I dont want to overstate it, because he was a first-round pick. But hes become a pretty special player.

How special?

I think he might be one of the two or three best quarterbacks under 30, and there are some good ones in that group, the executive said. Id take him before [Jay] Cutler, who went to a Pro Bowl last year. Give him another season and I might even take him before Eli [Manning]. And thats a 100-million-dollar guy with a [Super Bowl] ring good company.

Thats a rapid ascent for a player who is only heading into his second starting campaign. However, Rodgers has wasted no time refining his game and defining his image, something that might be even more impressive considering it comes in the NFL cradle of Green Bay. What was once a fiefdom lorded over solely by his predecessor, Brett Favre(notes), Rodgers has finally gained the embrace of the community and fan base. That might only make this preseason even sweeter, with Favres moniker dangerously close to becoming He Who Shall Not Be Named If He Plays In Minnesota.

But just how close is Rodgers to entering the elite conversation? After all, its a sizeable leap going from one superb individual season (4,038 passing yards and 32 total touchdowns), to being mentioned with the likes of Tom Brady(notes), Peyton Manning(notes), Ben Roethlisberger(notes) and Drew Brees(notes).

I think hes an elite quarterback right now, said Packers cornerback Al Harris(notes). He can make every single throw. He can put it on a line. Hes got touch. His decision making is good. Hes quick. He goes through his progressions really quickly. I think hes very underrated by the people in the league and the so-called experts. Once he wins a Super Bowl, I guess thats maybe what changes that perception.

Still, for those who have watched Rodgers closely during the last four years, there is no denying the significant transformation.

Look at his body. He didnt look like that three years ago, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. His body fat is way down. Hes a much more conditioned athlete. Hes much stronger. His ball has more velocity. Hes a lot more athletic than I realized coming out of Cal.

Indeed, after a series of injuries early in his career, Rodgers has reconstructed his physique through rigorous offseason training. This has been aimed at replicating what elite quarterbacks do: play 16 games, not wear down late in seasons and be the most dependable cornerstone on the roster.

But the transformation runs deeper. Arguably as recent as two years ago, Rodgers was still languishing under a perception that had dogged him since the 2005 draft, when he was supposedly neck and neck with Alex Smith for the right to be the No. 1 overall pick.

Midway through his junior season at Cal, he seemed to be the odds-on favorite in many NFL quarters. But Smiths rise and a litany of questions about Rodgers mechanics and pedigree (some executives were already wary of Jeff Tedford quarterbacks) began to create cracks in an otherwise superb rsum. It didnt help that negative stories began to leak out about Rodgers coming off as arrogant or cocky in some interview sessions. Even McCarthy noted the perception while he was serving as an offensive coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers and helping to hash out the Smith vs. Rodgers debate.

In spite of seeing what he now calls maybe the best workout Ive seen live, McCarthy said the mental makeup of Rodgers and Smith became one of the overriding factors in the 49ers decision making.

That was a concern for both of them which one of these guys can handle being a No. 1 pick in the NFL draft? McCarthy said. There was a lot of conversation about that. [Former 49ers coach] Mike Nolan and I, we got into a conversation and he says to me, OK, Rodgers is not a western [Pennsylvania] kid. Hes a northern California kid. I know you cant relate to that. We had a lot of conversations about that. But you know, the arm and talent was always there.
[img_r]http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2009/08/ipt/1250614137.jpg[/img_r]
Looking back, those might be the perceptions Rodgers regrets most, and they planted seeds in a media persona that can now seem at times to be overly cautious. His interviews can be laden with boundaries, clichs, buzzwords and phrases like I dont want that to be perceived as arrogant or I dont want that to be seen as cocky. These are the buffers borne of a negative draft experience and three years of trying to say all the right things while sitting behind Favre.

That [draft] was a time in my life where I felt like I wasnt at times being who I really was, Rodgers says now. I think I was always a humble guy who came from a humble background and worked hard for what I got. Then you get to the draft process and youve got to sell yourself as the best player that has ever walked around. That was a little different for me. And then, at the same time, a few of my poor attempts at humor [regarding Favre] have come off as arrogant. I learned you just have to watch what youre saying sometimes.

And yet, his talent and standing have seemingly outgrown his deference. Now its only his record that needs to catch up. With Green Bays move to a more aggressive 3-4 defense, the Packers appear ready to become a more balanced team that can rival the best from the NFC South and NFC East the conferences two power divisions. Because while Rodgers may have arrived emotionally, physically and statistically, he has retained a keen awareness that gaudy numbers and arm strength arent the only traits that qualify him for the leagues elite fraternity.

Honestly, that stuff is mostly media driven, he said. Its funny to me that most media people wouldnt mention a guy like Ben Roethlisberger as an elite quarterback. Ben has won two Super Bowls, right? I know hes laughing all the way to the trophy case and all the way to the bank.

UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
14 years ago
always nice to hear good things about OUR quarterback!!! go rodgers! 😃
Scottish_Packer
14 years ago
I'm excited as to where Rodgers will go from here, he looks very natural now. He's one part of the team that the majority of fans are really comfortable with, and that doesn't happen often at the QB position. Oh, and he's got some pretty amazing WRs too.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
14 years ago
If Rodgers improves on his 2-minute capabilities, then I shall grant him the title of elite no question.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
LambeauEast
14 years ago

Give him another season and I might even take him before Eli [Manning]. And thats a 100-million-dollar guy with a [Super Bowl] ring good company.

Hell, I'd take him before Eli right now! That was a good read.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
Well, dhazer, you can't say that there's any bias in this article, so why do you think he said it?

Anyway, I like the article overall, and it is good to hear.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Give him another season and I might even take him before Eli [Manning]. And thats a 100-million-dollar guy with a [Super Bowl] ring good company.

"LambeauEast" wrote:

Hell, I'd take him before Eli right now! That was a good read.

I'd take Shaun Hill over Eli Manning.

Anyway, I love the guy. The only thing that I'm still slightly worried about are injuries.

Don't get me wrong, he did great last year. Even with a pretty bad shoulder injury. Problem is, he did get injured again and it has been that way nearly every year he played.

He's a tough guy and he'll play, but it'll make him play just a tad bit worse. Something you can't use in the NFL. I'm just hoping that it was more bad luck than anything else (Slamming into the ground with your shoulder like that would mean an injuy for 90% of the players).

Apart from that, I'm totally confident that we have an elite QB. Something like the 49ers had. Maybe not totally the same skill-wise, but one of the few teams that has succesfully replaced a legend.
musccy
14 years ago
same concern here rockmolder, though he impressed the hell out of me by playing through that last year.

He's very poised and seems to have all of the confidence of the lockeroom!

Thanks for posting the article!
The_Green_Ninja
14 years ago

[quote="LambeauEast"]

Anyway, I love the guy. The only thing that I'm still slightly worried about are injuries.

Don't get me wrong, he did great last year. Even with a pretty bad shoulder injury. Problem is, he did get injured again and it has been that way nearly every year he played.

He's a tough guy and he'll play, but it'll make him play just a tad bit worse. Something you can't use in the NFL. I'm just hoping that it was more bad luck than anything else (Slamming into the ground with your shoulder like that would mean an injuy for 90% of the players).

"Rockmolder" wrote:

This is true, but last year he played with one of the worst O-line last year, so we will see how it changes and if it truly improves, don't fret as much.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
14 years ago
Thanks for the article. Rodgers was only 5 of 10 in the Browns game, but I agree with the author that he looked very much in command of the offense. I do think that he is right up there with Cutler and Eli Manning among the younger QB's in the league (we can throw Phillip Rivers in there as well), although obviously he is less proven than those guys.

I'm not too concerned about injuries. I don't count injuries that a QB can play through without a serious decline in performance. Favre had plenty of those, after all.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17h / Around The NFL / bboystyle

27-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.