dfosterf
14 years ago
JsOnline blog 

Evening practice recap: Humphrey suffers broken arm
By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel
Aug. 6, 2009 9:31 p.m.
Green Bay - Tight end Tory Humphrey, whose time with the Packers has been marred by injuries, suffered a broken forearm in this morning's practice and will have surgery on Friday.
While the injury will likely end his season, the Packers will wait until after the surgery to determine his immediate future in regards to the roster.
Humphrey had a hamstring injury in '06, which landed him on injured reserve. And he missed all of '07 after breaking his lower leg in the first practice of training camp.
Humphrey was injured on a throwaway play near the end of the two-minute drill. Aaron Rodgers threw up a deep pass to Humphrey which was picked off by Aaron Rouse. It didn't count -- Jarius Wynn was offsides to start the play.
"It's awful," coach Mike McCarthy said. "He's had a couple of tough injuries. We'll know more after the surgery."
Even with Evan Moore (broken right ring finger) hurting, McCarthy said the team is OK at tight end.
"Well, with (converted linebacker) Spencer Havner, I think our numbers are OK for now," McCarthy said. "We're hitting that spot in training camp. The outside linebacker position was stressed today and we'll have to look at how they come in and look at (Friday's) practice. This is kind of normal at this point. You hope the day would help you.)
In other injury news, the top two right outside linebackers, Clay Matthews (hamstring) and Jeremy Thompson (groin) left the evening practice. Matthews' injured the same hamstring that kept him out of off-season practices.
Ruvell Martin also dropped out with a groin injury.
Defensive end Justin Harrell was held out because his reps were getting too high, according to McCarthy.
Notes from practice:
Anthony Smith (groin), Pat Williams (hamstring), Johnny Jolly (ankle), Justin Harrell (rest), Brad Jones (back) and Nick Barnett (knee) all were out.
Returning to practice were: Atari Bigby, Scott Wells, Chad Clifton, Ryan Pickett, Al Harris, Charles Woodson, Aaron Kampman and Cullen Jenkins.
Spencer Havner was back with the tight ends.
McCarthy kicked the No. 2 punt team off the field after Jarius Wynn was late getting on the field. McCarthys language was colorful, to say the least.
Havner is still with the No. 1 kickoff coverage unit and most of the other special teams units.
On the net/accuracy drill, at one point Aaron Rodgers made three passes in a row and four total. None of his backups hit the apparatus.
Most of the first half of practice was spent on special teams as the units get ready for the intrasquad scrimmage.
Matthews opened with the first team at ROLB but didn't last long with a hamstring.
On a team run drill, DeShawn Wynn laid a very powerful right shoulder into Rouse's chest.
Of all the cornerbacks, Will Blackmon appears to be having the most trouble adjusting to playing off receivers. He got turned around during a few one-on-ones.
One thing you never saw in Bob Sanders defense that you do now: cornerbacks having to fend for themselves in the deep part of the field. Since the safeties have to cover for the linebackers during blitzes, a common sight in camp thus far is a cornerback with no help around him. Tramon Williams had that happen to him during team run when James Jones and Rodgers hooked up on a long pass.
Kregg Lumpkin played effectively with a wrap around his right quad.
Chad Clifton limped off at one point after being kicked in the right knee. He did return.
TE Jermichael Finley had another very strong practice. He might have been the player of the day. He looks effortless cutting across the field and making catches. He has such a big frame that its hard for defenders to get around him.
This may sound familiar, but the next big play A.J. Hawk makes in practice will be the first. While Desmond Bishop is constantly shooting gaps and trying to make plays, Hawk is still reading and reacting. He is seldom around the ball. He takes on blockers, but is easily turned around. Its a repeat of last season when he was playing Mike after Barnett went down. But the coaches are still high on him.
Both Brohm and Flynn had a couple of easy overthrows each.
The running backs were outstanding during this practice at blitz pickup. The quarterbacks were hardly touched.
Bigby had an interception of Rodgers that deflected off Finleys hands.
Crosby made 8 of 9 field goals in the practice. He was wide right from 48. Made one from 53. It might be significant that Durant Brooks held on four of the kicks and looked very adept at it. Both Jon Ryan and Derrick Frost held when they were with the Packers.

Cheesey
14 years ago
Geez....dropping like flies already.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
14 years ago
olb is a very physical position and i can understand that. this doesn't seem that bad of an injury report other than that position, but the tight end injury is very sad to hear about. i wonder what status the thompson and matthews will be under for the scrimmage on saturday.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
Damn........are people just not stretching well enough before practice or what?
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

This may sound familiar, but the next big play A.J. Hawk makes in practice will be the first. While Desmond Bishop is constantly shooting gaps and trying to make plays, Hawk is still reading and reacting. He is seldom around the ball. He takes on blockers, but is easily turned around. Its a repeat of last season when he was playing Mike after Barnett went down. But the coaches are still high on him.

Good to see that nothing has changed since last season when people defended him in the scheme.. something happened to Hawk between the college game and the pros.. in college he attacked and flourished.. here he plays on his heels and reacts..

Out of all the positive news about the defense, this is extremely disappointing to hear. I might have to apologize to Winston Moss.. maybe Hawk is just an average backer..

TE Jermichael Finley had another very strong practice. He might have been the player of the day. He looks effortless cutting across the field and making catches. He has such a big frame that its hard for defenders to get around him.

That is excellent.. can you image the options a tight end with his skill set and size would give Mike McCarthy in offensive playcalling.. the defense would have to commit to either doubling him, or putting a backer or safety on him.. if he keeps this up into the season.. this is going to give DC's fits.

BTW... Wynn might have matured this year eh... awesome.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
bozz_2006
14 years ago
Glad Finley is coming along. I figured it would take until next year.

AJ... AJ, AJ, AJ, AJ. What are we gonna do with you?!?!

And Matthews with the sore hamstring! Don't these dudes stretch? How the hell are there so many hamstring injuries? I don't think I even know someone who's had a hamstring pull.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

Good to see that nothing has changed since last season when people defended him in the scheme.. something happened to Hawk between the college game and the pros.. in college he attacked and flourished.. here he plays on his heels and reacts..

Out of all the positive news about the defense, this is extremely disappointing to hear. I might have to apologize to Winston Moss.. maybe Hawk is just an average backer..

That is excellent.. can you image the options a tight end with his skill set and size would give Mike McCarthy in offensive playcalling.. the defense would have to commit to either doubling him, or putting a backer or safety on him.. if he keeps this up into the season.. this is going to give DC's fits.

BTW... Wynn might have matured this year eh... awesome.

You know, when I went to publish this article last evening, I thought of Z.

Normally when I quote something like this, I will "edit" the article in the sense that I will separate sentences in order to make it more readable. This article contained a lot of information worth note, but the reason I didn't separate it...

I was curious to see if Z would catch the A.J. critique.

Now why did I think even for a moment that he would not? Hell, next time I'm translating it into Cryllic just to plumb the depths of his bird-dog capabilities. :thumbleft:

On a more serious note, we have quite a bit riding on A.J. being that improved player, and this is extremely rotten news.

I do get an additional "I told you so", at least for the moment, as regards DeShawn Wynn.

References available upon request.
DakotaT
14 years ago
AJ has been a hell of a lot more productive than say Mandarich or Buckley. Let's try not to crucify the kid.

The only time a top 5 draft pick should be used on a linebacker is if his name is Lawrence Taylor or Derrick Thomas.

That was a weak draft!
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

AJ has been a hell of a lot more productive than say Mandarich or Buckley. Let's try not to crucify the kid.

The only time a top 5 draft pick should be used on a linebacker is if his name is Lawrence Taylor or Derrick Thomas.

That was a weak draft!

"DakotaT" wrote:

I haven't erected the cross... but my expectations for a number 5 pick and AJ are two different things.

I have never came out and stated I think he is anything less than an average NFL linebacker.. and probably will never utter anything such... but it doesn't mean I am not extremely disappoint to hear that he isn't playing balls out football in camp.

Maybe.. just maybe that game is too fast for him to handle at this level. Something has changed in the kid.. a confident aggressive backer in college that seemed a step ahead to one that seemed to be a step or two behind here.

Bust no. Lived up to expectation.. no as well.

BTW Foster.. I was hoping to sneak over to camp sometime this year to really watch this group, with eyes on three in particular.. Bishop, Hawk and Lansanah.

Don't know if I will make it over there... but if I do.. maybe I'll smart off to Hawk, get my ass handed to me, but hopefully piss the guy off. :lol: J/K

I can see the headlines now.. Hawk barely beats one legged man in ass kicking contest.. lol.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
14 years ago

That was a weak draft!

"DakotaT" wrote:

This is true... utter disappointment though.. thought maybe he would come alive this summer.

Wonder if he needs more oxygen in that camber.. lol.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (11h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (15h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (16h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (18h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (18h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (19h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

4m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.